01-04-15 04:22 AM
150 ... 3456
tools
    Why not all of this before you returned your passport. Seems like the wrong order of events. Just saying

Vtecberry Z10
    Yes, the timing of his actions seemed odd to me too. First, buy the phone without looking into these questions, then return it and ask questions here later...lol Anyway the whole thread could have been concluded the instant he said he requires Facetime. That's only on Apple devices. End of story, question answered, close thread. OP, BB devices are not for you. Not a big deal, no single device or manufacturer satisfies everyone. Best of luck to you, sincerely.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 11:07 AM
    I am not responding directly to the question "Where are the app", but I am advising on the app selection and in general my philosophy of making life easier.

You are using 46 apps. I don't really think your life depends on those 46 apps. Do you really want little apps to dictate your life and the way you chose your equipment? Anyways, I can see about 4 different groups of apps:

- First you can forget the cloud apps, the mail apps, the browser apps. Everything is available in BB10, sometimes in different way (Hub, browser), sometimes in same ways (Dropbox app). And you don't need 4 or 5 cloud services. BB10 has excellent file management options. Much better than iOS.

- Then you have the payment apps. I don't know if you need 3 banks and credit cards, but anyways, some apps are available and otherwise you have a very important Blackberry App called Password Keeper were you can put the link of the bank and your credentials. The app will open safely the page and pre-propulate the information so you can access your banking account within the app. Moreover this app works with cloud website, email website, ...

- Communication app: Blackberry is king of communication, so you should not have any problem here, except if you rely on closed, limited standards. I can't help you with proprietary, exclusive choice you've made with Facetime for example.

- Finally, Multimedia, games, fitness, podcast etc. : it's up to you to see if your free time apps are worth the device you choose, the time you spend on it, the exclusivity you are dedicating to them. There will always be multimedia, games, fitness, podcast on Blackberry, they might be the same, they might be different but it's not up to me to do the work. I don't really see why a different podcast or fitness app would be a problem.
    rhitdoph likes this.
    11-18-14 12:25 PM
    Every app on that list either works in the Android version or has a better alternative available in BlackBerry World. If you were looking to get rid of the phone with shortcomings, you should've ditched the iPhone.
    11-18-14 08:19 PM
    I got mine and It is too frustrating to use I am new to BB but could just be me or my unit the touch is way off
    11-18-14 09:03 PM
    Apps are never a problem with me and my main unit is a windows phone anyway
    11-18-14 09:03 PM
    With an app list so extensive, it is impossible to switch platforms without making concessions. That is why choosing BlackBerry is a tough choice. When I switched from iOS I was confident that Android apps would solve the biggest problems, but that's not how it came to be. Android apps are crippled on BlackBerry 10, they aren't even close to a native experience. Even if you replace all your apps with Android equivalents, your experience may not be that good. The suggestion of using web apps instead is, as you rightly said, not a serious solution. On the Z10 the browser is one of the biggest battery drainers and once you ever got used to the user experience of using a dedicated app, web apps are not even worth mentioning.

You have to consider first what it is you want from a smartphone. If your answer begins and ends with apps, BlackBerry will be unsatisfactory regardless of hardware.
    passaporto likes this.
    11-18-14 09:59 PM
    [QUOTE=passaporto;11088885]
    Wow...maybe you need to admit that you don't want to give up your iphone![/QUOTE

I think it's pretty clear that I would like to work with the Passport in case it wasn't clear enough, thus my "Love the passport" comment. Sure, I should have asked a lot more questions prior to buying it but then again I assumed (yeah yeah..I know) that it's easier to switch to another platform. I will do the whole snap and Chrome thing and see what it takes. I do not necessarily agree with the statement of "you can do everything in your browser" I mean that's the whole point of apps. The ease of use. Sure there are ways around certain things. e.g. the banking app and Uber as it was mentioned in a post. But really if you look from a pure user perspective what makes the most sense (to me). Besides a raw mass of e-mails which mostly require some kind of answer..often lengthy (passport screen size!) I have thousands of photos on my device which I need for my work. Does the camera live up to what I am used to? Don't know yet. The ease of use is a big factor for me, certainly not for all. If I would do mostly e-mails and spreadsheets, hell yeah. there is no substitute to the passport. With the way I use it I might have to carry both devices for a period of time and adjust. At this point the 6 and the passport are equally loved. Time will tell who wins my heart as the best allrounder for my usage.
    Be cool if any phone would do auto paragraphs and thought splicing

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    11-18-14 10:43 PM
    These are the apps or equivalents that I personally run on my phone:

Podcast - bPod
    Inbox by Gmail - standard BB mail (why Inbox specifically?)
    Google Chrome - standard BB browser (do you need Chrome sync? why Chrome specifically?)
    Instagram - iGrann (but I have used the Android app in the past)
    Tripit - BlackBerry Travel
    Starbucks - Starbucks Android app
    box - built in BB Box client
    Waze - in BB World and I think Android apk works too
    Google Maps - BeMaps 10 Pro (or hacked version of Android app maybe)
    Webex - in BB World
    Dropbox - built in BB Dropbox client
    Google Drive - as noted above there are built in clients for Box and Dropbox (and Onedrive) so I don't use Google Drive on BB
    [/QUOTE]

Did this guy really complain about these apps too? Thanks for running down the list and putting him in his place.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 07:08 AM
    So here's the problem. Received my Passport last week (want to leave my iPhone 6 in the past..) and loved everything about the hardware, the screen, really everything BUT I am not willing to carry two phones because one has shortcomings.
    Started installing apps and voila..ran into issue. Originally I checked the Blackberry World store if the apps are available only come to find out that some are not available for the Passport (e.g Uber) so I went down the list and, well here are the apps I have no solution for. maybe (hopefully) since I am just not a BB pro I don't know where to find a proper solution.
    Rest assured. As soon as I find fully functional apps covering my needs I will get one again but for now it just didn't cut it
    ANY help from you pros is highly appreciated. Thank you !

These are the apps I found no solution for

Native Apple apps:

Facetime - which is really a must since all my contact work with this platfom
    Newstand - for all my mag subscriptions
    Podcast - MUST
    Cardstar
    Passbook

and these are the apps I found no BB app for the Passbook ...darn it. Please tell me that I wasn't looking at the right spot

FreeConferenceCall Dialer (FCC Dialer app)
    Inbox by Gmail
    Google Chrome
    MapMyRide+
    FuelBand
    ProCam
    Over
    Instagram
    italia Radio
    Google Play Music
    NetFlix
    NPRNews
    Aljazeera
    AAA
    Google Earth
    Airbnb
    Uber
    iskAustria
    Tripit
    USAirways
    MTBProject
    Craigslist
    Ebay
    BarclayCard
    PayPal
    Amex
    BankofAmerica
    podcasts
    Starbucks
    box
    OpenTable
    Trivago
    Vimeo
    Spiegel TV
    Utility Drive
    Waze
    Google Maps
    basecamp
    gottomeeting
    Webex
    Mega
    Translate
    scanBizCards
    Dropbox
    Google Drive
    zillow
    Guy, a lot of those apps are explicitly available on BBW. And the rest can be snapped up on Snap. Did you do any due diligence or research? Total waste of a thread for a troll.

Posted via CB10
    PauloPImenta and thedose like this.
    11-19-14 07:11 AM
    Fully agree! Finito!

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 07:14 AM
    On my passport I use about 10 Andriod apps

snapchat
    shazam
    gmaps
    Authntk
    TD Bank
    My fitness pal
    IGN
    Ebay
    Kijiji
    The Score

Average phone user uses less then 5 apps I read.
    11-19-14 10:37 AM
    OP do as you please; it's your money and your private decision. Seriously the broadcast wasn't necessary since you made up your mind to send back the Passport before seeking people's opinions. Good luck.
    11-19-14 10:42 AM
    As much as we might love CrackBerry.com and the community here, we need to remember that not everyone knows about it. Even if the OP knew about CB, maybe he didn't think to use the forums until after sending the Passport back.
    anon8656116 and passaporto like this.
    11-20-14 01:24 AM
    Crackberry users should be a bit more helpful to newbies (generally speaking_.
    This is not a charity site. It is much more fun to attack intruders than to nurture them! :-)
    mister2d and passaporto like this.
    11-20-14 10:38 AM
    To the dismay of some..I bought another PP and installed most everything. Now I am running into issues where I need some help.

certain apps. e.g AMEX mobile can be installed but then ask for "Google Play Services".
    Then a field pops up and is asking me if I would like to install it. I click yes and nothing happens..
    11-26-14 08:38 AM
    There's some app you have to sideload. Snap, I think.

To the dismay of some..I bought another PP and installed most everything. Now I am running into issues where I need some help.

certain apps. e.g AMEX mobile can be installed but then ask for "Google Play Services".
    Then a field pops up and is asking me if I would like to install it. I click yes and nothing happens..
    11-26-14 09:00 AM
    So, you sent your Passport back, got a refund, then bought another one?
    11-26-14 09:02 AM
    yep I still need help to figure the whole thing out though
    11-26-14 09:09 AM
    yep I still need help to figure the whole thing out though. Any idea which one I have to download ? If you look for google play a long list of apps are showing up
    11-26-14 09:11 AM
    Do a search for Snap in the subject line. There's a whole thread on the subject. I haven't downloaded it, so I can't offer any specific advice. I think it's pretty much spelled out for you in the thread, though.

yep I still need help to figure the whole thing out though. Any idea which one I have to download ? If you look for google play a long list of apps are showing up
    passaporto likes this.
    11-26-14 01:06 PM
    Couple more issue wher I am looking for help
    Is there an app where I can transfer the newsstand digital subscriptions from ?
    Does anyone use the Fuelband app? I couldn't find an android equivalent
    Which is the best Podcast app? does it possibly sync with iTunes?
    I'm using "Play Music" which is from Google but it doesn't show my cloud albums..
    An app for all the cards a 'la cardstar ?
    and what i haven't figured out is an equivalent of Passbook.
    Any help is much appreciated ! Thanks
    11-26-14 08:04 PM
    btw..Blend is genius !
    11-26-14 08:05 PM

Bpod (0.99) in BW works well but I don't believe it syncs with iTunes----also maybe check out Nobex app in BW. It is a nice app as well.
    11-26-14 08:17 PM
    For Facetime just have your associates move to BBM. It is cross platform and so much more usable than Facetime.
    For Instagram if you want native apps use iGrann. It's in BBW and it's an excellent client. Best thing about it is that it's a BB developer so you'd be helping out with supporting native developers in BBW.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    But BBM does not provide cross platform video, at least not yet. BBM Meetings does but this requires subscription from the meeting creator, attendees play for free :-)

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 11:05 PM

Bpod (0.99) in BW works well but I don't believe it syncs with iTunes----also maybe check out Nobex app in BW. It is a nice app as well.
    Yes I love BPOD...has auto update of your saved channels, sorting playlists, delete after playing, DB backups, resume where you last left off, bookmarking. Streams to my BT enable car radio.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 11:08 PM
150 ... 3456