They have an interesting platform but applications stop me from buying it.
    11-17-14 08:44 PM
    Get some face time with your girlfriend or boyfriend and stop using your iPhone!

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 08:52 PM
    any updates?
    11-17-14 09:59 PM
    Thus far passporto is gonna try and use his Passport with all the SNAP, Amazon and Chrome additions to get it to work.
    Someone mentioned an iPad if he needed to really do FaceTime. Just pair that with the BlackBerry. Not a bad idea.

Let's wait and see how it works out for him. We wish him/her well.

Some of the responses on this thread were very good and appreciated the situation he is in. He's trying to make it work with the BlackBerry. Some snarly and wise-cracking responses don't bode well for the forum fraternity here.
    I think there are a lot of people (not necessarily writing on this blog) who are around the same point of difficulty as passporto.
    They are unsure if to switch or how the Passport experience will be be. And media hype doesn't help. It's not easy for some people coming from the iOS experience/eco-system to just switch and put everything they are accustomed to there with BB10. They are accustomed to using certain apps and doing things a certain way. So, the change can seem difficult or hard pressed. Having a lot of apps makes some people feel good and smart. Some need certain apps because work.
    Certainly iOS wants you to have a good experience as does BB10, so that is what makes it so hard to leave one for the other.
    To be a standout with a square phone in a sea of rectangles....yeah, that can be a bit overwelming for some. Length of time spent using the passport can help; to decide either way if the phone is useful to you.
    You get the feeling (from people's responses and reactions sometimes - especially from the opposite OS fan boys and girls) that you have to justify your purchase somehow.
    No matter what OS you choose, that should not have to be the way to introduce your new phone....on the defensive.
    Take the phone, use it. Try it and have the most useful experience you can with it.

Then, decide honestly and sincerely to yourself.
    You don't have to answer to anyone else.

any updates?
    11-17-14 10:47 PM
    Crackberry users should be a bit more helpful to newbies (generally speaking_.

Sounds like you've discovered Snap. You can also download and install other android app stores, such as Amazon, 1mobile, etc. Those don't require side loading, but they also aren't as good as Snap.

You should be able to find most apps, although a few Android versions won't work on BlackBerry devices without Google Play Services.

You should also install 10.3.1 as the Android player gets better with each OS. Some don't believe in installing leaks, but many have been doing it for years. Those 'leaks' often get released somewhere by some carrier...

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    11-17-14 10:57 PM
    So here's the problem. Received my Passport last week (want to leave my iPhone 6 in the past..) and loved everything about the hardware, the screen, really everything BUT I am not willing to carry two phones because one has shortcomings.
    Started installing apps and voila..ran into issue. Originally I checked the Blackberry World store if the apps are available only come to find out that some are not available for the Passport (e.g Uber) so I went down the list and, well here are the apps I have no solution for. maybe (hopefully) since I am just not a BB pro I don't know where to find a proper solution.
    Rest assured. As soon as I find fully functional apps covering my needs I will get one again but for now it just didn't cut it
    ANY help from you pros is highly appreciated. Thank you !

These are the apps I found no solution for

Native Apple apps:

Facetime - which is really a must since all my contact work with this platfom
    Newstand - for all my mag subscriptions
    Podcast - MUST
    Cardstar
    Passbook

and these are the apps I found no BB app for the Passbook ...darn it. Please tell me that I wasn't looking at the right spot

FreeConferenceCall Dialer (FCC Dialer app)
    Inbox by Gmail
    Google Chrome
    MapMyRide+
    FuelBand
    ProCam
    Over
    Instagram
    italia Radio
    Google Play Music
    NetFlix
    NPRNews
    Aljazeera
    AAA
    Google Earth
    Airbnb
    Uber
    iskAustria
    Tripit
    USAirways
    MTBProject
    Craigslist
    Ebay
    BarclayCard
    PayPal
    Amex
    BankofAmerica
    podcasts
    Starbucks
    box
    OpenTable
    Trivago
    Vimeo
    Spiegel TV
    Utility Drive
    Waze
    Google Maps
    basecamp
    gottomeeting
    Webex
    Mega
    Translate
    scanBizCards
    Dropbox
    Google Drive
    zillow
    You did the right thing...no point in compromising on experience you are expecting against your $...

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    11-17-14 11:56 PM
    Do you believe someone waist USD 650 on a phone and then realises there are no apple apps? C'mom people...

Posted via CB10
    Icarus3000 and wincyUt like this.
    11-18-14 12:07 AM
    • Dropbox, Box.net, Waze, Mega, Bank of America are all available on BB World.

• Asking for native Apple apps on BB is insane.

• Native Google apps and those that require Google authentication are not yet available on BB10 and that's well known and well documented, so listing Google apps here is just looking for an excuse to paint BB bad
    Last edited by walcolm; 11-18-14 at 01:02 AM. Reason: formatting
    11-18-14 01:01 AM
    Paraphrase, "I loved the Passport until I realized it wasn't an iPhone. If only the Passport was an iPhone I would keep it."

Derp.

Posted via CB10
    Nice first impression.

An insulting post that wasn't needed and a stupid name, deactivate your account and try again.
    11-18-14 03:02 AM
    Thanks for the mostly helpful info.
    So what I read there is no way to get a FaceTime app on a BB. okay..now I know. Thanks
    I work on my phone most of the day and dig out my laptop only for elaborate work. 99% of my work I can do on my phone with the help of these apps giving me tremendous mobility for worldwide traveling where mostly I don't even take my laptop anymore. So, yes Apple was tremendously helpful in that sense.
    It might have come across wrong. I don't need these exact apps but I need replacements for these apps in order to be able to retire the iphone. Barking up the wrong tree? Wishful thinking? How do road worriers manage it all ? I can't possibly be the only one ...or maybe I am?
    You're not a road warrior if you use an iPhone LOL
    11-18-14 04:08 AM
    You're not a road warrior if you use an iPhone LOL
    Not true at all, I work in the auto industry where travel and staying away from home at the customers site is a way of life and the iPhone and Android devices are the norm now. I am the only one I see using a Blackberry anymore because I am a die hard.
    jmr1015 and Skyforever like this.
    11-18-14 05:02 AM
    who the heck needs all these "apps" when in essence they are just shortcuts to a webpage its really not that hard
    11-18-14 07:48 AM
    who the heck needs all these "apps" when in essence they are just shortcuts to a webpage its really not that hard
    How are all those apps shortcuts to webpages?

Apps >> Web apps

No competition
    11-18-14 07:58 AM
    One option would be to get an iPad mini to use for Facetime, if it's that important to you, and you really prefer to use a Passport.
    One of my gir;s loves using Facetime to chat with her best friend. I guess I understand the attraction to the app, if your office is full of teenage girls. ;-)
    Seriously, though, if Facetime is a must, then you don't need to bother with any other brand of phone. You are stuck with an Apple.

Can't move that many people over to BBM "just" because I believe in BB. Most things are done on skype anyways BUT i still need FT and Free CC dialer
    torco3 likes this.
    11-18-14 08:02 AM
    You certainly have some valid reasons for sticking with iOS.
    Apple offers a more refined OS, because it has been around a long time, and even with the variety of ways that BlackBerry users can obtain apps, Apple still offers a broader selection of apps that work well.
    That said, if you like the new, quirky keyboard, and desire a more desire device, or if you simply want to be known for not following the crowd, then the BlackBerry still could be a reasonably good option for you.
    Once you figure out which apps are really have to have, the decision becomes easy.

[QUOTE=passaporto;11088885]
    Wow...maybe you need to admit that you don't want to give up your iphone![/QUOTE

I think it's pretty clear that I would like to work with the Passport in case it wasn't clear enough, thus my "Love the passport" comment. Sure, I should have asked a lot more questions prior to buying it but then again I assumed (yeah yeah..I know) that it's easier to switch to another platform. I will do the whole snap and Chrome thing and see what it takes. I do not necessarily agree with the statement of "you can do everything in your browser" I mean that's the whole point of apps. The ease of use. Sure there are ways around certain things. e.g. the banking app and Uber as it was mentioned in a post. But really if you look from a pure user perspective what makes the most sense (to me). Besides a raw mass of e-mails which mostly require some kind of answer..often lengthy (passport screen size!) I have thousands of photos on my device which I need for my work. Does the camera live up to what I am used to? Don't know yet. The ease of use is a big factor for me, certainly not for all. If I would do mostly e-mails and spreadsheets, hell yeah. there is no substitute to the passport. With the way I use it I might have to carry both devices for a period of time and adjust. At this point the 6 and the passport are equally loved. Time will tell who wins my heart as the best allrounder for my usage.
    11-18-14 08:13 AM
    Still status quo. I am somewhat surprised at the responses. I was never on any help boards or forums, not for the iphone and prior to my desire to work it out my Passport issues not on this one. Again, I thought it's simple and yet I am here to find out it's not quite that easy. Giving my ignorance towards the device some postings were let's say not exactly helpful. Not to me, not to anyone but it's a group effort and some of the things I learned and heard are not only new but revolutionary to me. Yes, my life doesn't revolve around around BB or iPhone. Both of them are tools to make my private as well a my professional life easier. I don't see myself as an Apple Fan boy..i think that's the term used, but neither do I fully comprehend the defending of BB no matter what. The iPhone is currently my only Apple product I own. Got id of the iPads since I simply didn't use them for anything besides web browsing when I sat on the sofa. My goal is to carry only one laptop ..which is a Lenovo Carbon X1 so no Apple product here either and hopefully one mobile device. Somewhere I read that I wouldn't waste $650 without knowing what I was getting into. Here's the answer to that. I liked (still do) the look, the battery life and the screen. A physical keyboard is nice but I am plenty fast enough on my 6 for my liking. Traveling sucks but the upside is that you rack up miles and points so I dropped a few points and got the device without really thinking about it. Impulse shopping at it's finest.
    My quest for the best fit for me was not driven by monetary reasons neither was/is it brand driven. I will give it a fair shot because I like it but I don't necessarily think that band aid solutions will make it work for me. Some of you will see PM's with the cry for help of further explanations of their proposed solution, others might receive a stick figure drawing with an obscene gesture. (kidding).
    One, for now,final question though for the professionals on here. Why does it, in der Blackberry App store, show that an app is available and when you plug in your Passport it says it's not available for this device? Are certain apps only available for specific models? Might be too simple of a question but since mud was thrown already I might as well ask this silly question. (someone will say something smart about this question). All in all I am pretty impressed by the amount of helpful responses .

My upcoming travel plans will not allow me to dig further into this topic until the end of the month but I will try to stay on top of the comments (with my Crackberry app on my 6, not even kidding)

Cheers
    11-18-14 08:13 AM
    If you absolutely need FaceTime I believe an iPad mini paired with Passport is a great alternative. You'll find that with Snap ,Amazon and BlackBerry World you'll have the majority of the apps you need. And seeing how BlackBerry 10 is starting to gain more traction we should see more developers gain interest in the platform.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Blend
    Just in case OP isn't aware that the solution to his problems is BlackBerry.
    11-18-14 08:15 AM
    Still status quo. I am somewhat surprised at the responses.
    The site gets trolled a lot by Android and Apple fans. I think some people just get tired of some of the posts and are suspicious of certain types of posts. Don't take it too personally.

One, for now,final question though for the professionals on here. Why does it, in der Blackberry App store, show that an app is available and when you plug in your Passport it says it's not available for this device? Are certain apps only available for specific models?
    Yes. A developer can not only choose which OS version the app will run on, they have to select which devices the app will run on. If an app was created for a Q device, then it will work on the Passport. Some apps just need the longer than wider screen to operate correctly. If it isn't a game, it should be too much trouble for a developer to program their app to adjust for the different screen sizes.
    Dave Bourque and Skyforever like this.
    11-18-14 08:19 AM
    I've heard the facetime argument before. I never understood people wanting it when it can only be used between people with apple products. Also, I can see the desire to video chat with family, but not for business. Is there a huge benefit over just having a phone call for business matters? If so, Skype is available on many platforms.
    Suraj Jadhav likes this.
    11-18-14 09:00 AM
    Here's a good article listing alternatives to using Facetime: http://joyofandroid.com/how-to-facetime-on-android/

I've heard the facetime argument before. I never understood people wanting it when it can only be used between people with apple products. Also, I can see the desire to video chat with family, but not for business. Is there a huge benefit over just having a phone call for business matters? If so, Skype is available on many platforms.
    11-18-14 09:18 AM
    Here's a good article listing alternatives to using Facetime: http://joyofandroid.com/how-to-facetime-on-android/
    Method 3: ZOOM Cloud Meetings
    ZOOM Cloud Meetings

Hmm....sounds like something familiar.
    11-18-14 09:51 AM
    I take it you havnt loaded snap ? ..think you should have a read or search for snap on this site and you will find that yes you have been looking in the wrong place
    Seriously, Snap has alleviated any app issues I've had. Haven't run into a normal app that I can't run on the Passport. And the Passport runs Android apps damn well at that.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 09:57 AM
    I actually have Skype, Viber and BBM for my video calling. I know that's many apps but that's the reality we live in now. IPhone are actually losing market share thus it is now impossible to Facetime everybody. And with the realization that not everyone has iPhone, most of my business contacts actually use Viber or Skype but mostly within their own organization. Voice calls is still the preferred method of communication that we use in our business dealings (our business is in the field of I.T. services).

Again different people different ways. Some may be dependent on Facetime but practicality states that a third party app running in all platforms will eventually win the video conferencing race. For now we just have to be content with installing as many of these apps as possible that we know people are using. Viber is actually a favorite among my circle of friends and even family. And we all use different phones and platforms but can still communicate.

Now with regards to BlackBerry World Apps that do not appear on the Passport, just wait a couple of months and eventually the developers will make the necessary adjustments and the App will eventually appear in Blackberry World. Such is the fate of us early adopters.

Snap, is actually my favorite app source and it works on all of the apps that I need. My Banking App was actually in Blackberry World (I was pleasantly surprised at this).

@OP, hope you find the apps or alternatives to the apps you need. Offhand I can see most of your apps are in Snap and/or BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 10:03 AM
    These are the apps or equivalents that I personally run on my phone:

Podcast - bPod
    Inbox by Gmail - standard BB mail (why Inbox specifically?)
    Google Chrome - standard BB browser (do you need Chrome sync? why Chrome specifically?)
    Instagram - iGrann (but I have used the Android app in the past)
    Tripit - BlackBerry Travel
    Starbucks - Starbucks Android app
    box - built in BB Box client
    Waze - in BB World and I think Android apk works too
    Google Maps - BeMaps 10 Pro (or hacked version of Android app maybe)
    Webex - in BB World
    Dropbox - built in BB Dropbox client
    Google Drive - as noted above there are built in clients for Box and Dropbox (and Onedrive) so I don't use Google Drive on BB
    [/QUOTE]
    11-18-14 10:14 AM
    Why not all of this before you returned your passport. Seems like the wrong order of events. Just saying

Vtecberry Z10
    shakingthrough likes this.
    11-18-14 10:54 AM
150 ... 23456