I am new on BlackBerry and ofcourse passport

However, if I fail to understand one thing

If there are so many people loving it and using it, why don't developers atleast release paid version for basic applications like
    Google ( map, youtube) facebook ( facebook, whatsapp, instagram), travel utilities and payment utilities?

We as user can finalise vote for our desired one ( for anything apart from these) get ready to pay for it and that's it.

How difficult is that?

Posted via CB10
    09-14-17 03:32 AM
    Not big enough market to care!
    Enjoy your phone and don't think about these!
    There are way too many threads here on this!
    I'm with a passport as my main phone for two months now and I miss nothing!

Posted via CB10
    09-14-17 03:50 AM
    If apps are a necessity, you bought the wrong phone.
    Last edited by johnny_bravo72; 09-14-17 at 06:45 AM.
    09-14-17 05:20 AM
    At least BB should support its own browser and keep it running for the sake of those who spent their money and got a bbos10 device.

Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter and brian4591 like this.
    09-14-17 06:43 AM
    Well, basic apps are necessity of course and as much as I have used the phone so far, I don't think it's wrong pone for me. I just need basics.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-17 06:56 AM
    I have BBPSE; my opinion: BBPSE is the best device out there emails and calls/sms/bbm are wonderful and also I use an iphone and an Asus zenfone 3; I just need the Bbos 10 browser to keep up business needs, I'm not asking support for third parties apps like viber or whatsapp etc., I don't even use them in either my other mobile platforms; just the native browser; (I remember the days when my old blackberries went for years and were never obsolete compared to others)

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-14-17 07:11 AM
    I am new on BlackBerry and ofcourse passport

However, if I fail to understand one thing

If there are so many people loving it and using it, why don't developers atleast release paid version for basic applications?
    Because there aren't?
    09-14-17 07:14 AM
    Thanks for this reality check

Posted via CB10
    09-14-17 08:04 AM
    It's probably a question of having a different mindset, seeing the potential prize, and changing the business model devs are used to: number of buyers x price, start developing only once you have committed payments, like kickstarter or massdrop. Instead of producing single apps the best would be an up to date android running environment and play store, like Cobalt's; the bit devs might not see is they could charge way more for this (so $10-$25 USD not $0.99), and charge every year to keep things updated. It's not as sexy as a juice machine or vending machine (hint: irony), but it would be way more useful. With that I would have zero interest in "upgrading" to another keyboardless iOS or Android slab, but devs would require a monetary commitment, not just words. I wish someone had done this for the Nokia N9 or Palm pre, as opposed jumping on the abandonware wagon.
    rarsen likes this.
    09-14-17 11:07 AM
    Exactly my point. People pay for wat they want.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-17 11:40 AM
    It's probably a question of having a different mindset, seeing the potential prize, and changing the business model devs are used to: number of buyers x price, start developing only once you have committed payments, like kickstarter or massdrop. Instead of producing single apps the best would be an up to date android running environment and play store, like Cobalt's; the bit devs might not see is they could charge way more for this (so $10-$25 USD not $0.99), and charge every year to keep things updated. It's not as sexy as a juice machine or vending machine (hint: irony), but it would be way more useful. With that I would have zero interest in "upgrading" to another keyboardless iOS or Android slab, but devs would require a monetary commitment, not just words. I wish someone had done this for the Nokia N9 or Palm pre, as opposed jumping on the abandonware wagon.
    Except that you CANNOT do an "up to date android running environment" - there are legal agreements that keep BB10 at about v4.3.

Trying to write a clone of Android would be madness - so there's just no way.
    09-14-17 03:59 PM
  12. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    we are in deep hole

Posted via CB10
    09-14-17 08:34 PM
    The most popular apps that people want are free on Android and iPhone. The business model for Waze or Uber has nothing at all to do with purchases in an App Store or subscriptions.
    09-14-17 08:39 PM
    Well, basic apps are necessity of course and as much as I have used the phone so far, I don't think it's wrong pone for me. I just need basics.

Posted via CB10
    What is basic for me may not be basic for you. I have all the basics I need, all native BB10.

Why we can't "pay" for these other apps? Because for most of them, the business model is not like traditional software. The money is not in the product you use, the money is in the data that you provide.
    If Facebook is all about connecting people, why won't they open up API to let 3rd party clients in? Why do so many Android apps require Google Play Store services instead of just running on your phone or having standard Internet connection to a server ? Why WhatsApp and Google cut off their XMPP interface to their chats?
    All this is designed to channel users to their portal so only they can collect data on YOU. You are the product that they sell to their customers. It isn't the software, remember on other platforms nobody is paying for the software or their service.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    09-15-17 12:49 AM
    Makes sense, how ever for low (supposedly) userbase like bb10. That's not lucrative enough hence is not monetizing the software is only way get these service at least available?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-17 02:13 AM
    Hi Tasho74 for your browser issue try Polarity version 5.1.6 I've been using it for a couple of weeks and it works great. This is the android version and I got it from android.apk Rocking 24-7 with my Passport OG & Semi Retired Z10
    09-15-17 04:25 AM
    At least BB should support its own browser and keep it running for the sake of those who spent their money and got a bbos10 device.

Posted via CB10
    This^^^
    That's why Blackberry has lost trust by many loyal customers.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-15-17 04:44 AM
    This^^^
    That's why Blackberry has lost trust by many loyal customers.
    The loyal customers who naively continued to buy BlackBerry's legacy inventory at ridiculous prices despite all evidence that BlackBerry had halted development really should be mad at themselves more than they are at BlackBerry.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    09-15-17 10:45 AM
    The loyal customers who naively continued to buy BlackBerry's legacy inventory at ridiculous prices despite all evidence that BlackBerry had halted development really should be mad at themselves more than they are at BlackBerry.
    That is one point of view but you can't blame the consumers who bought Blackberry phone still being sold by Blackberry with claims by Blackberry of continued support for a specified number of updates which were not true updates but merely service and security patches . They misled the consumers so I blame Blackberry
    09-15-17 10:52 AM
    You (or the OP) buy a phone that has been on the market for three years and is being sold for a 1/3 of it's original price from a company that has exited the hardware business and told developers two years ago that it was all over.... those loyal customers need to do some research before they buy.

If you paid fully price three years ago..... well only Apple supports phones that long.

I remember when you could buy a BlackBerry Bold and find out eight months later it wouldn't run the next OS.... things did improve.
    09-15-17 11:44 AM
    That is one point of view but you can't blame the consumers who bought Blackberry phone still being sold by Blackberry with claims by Blackberry of continued support for a specified number of updates which were not true updates but merely service and security patches . They misled the consumers so I blame Blackberry
    True, BlackBerry obviously took advantage of their loyalty to avoid writing off their unsold inventory. However those same customers were familiar with the situation when they bought their phones and should accept them for what they are. I still use a Classic and sometimes curse the browser but I don't expect to see anything else from them.
    09-15-17 02:02 PM
    Before I bought my PP SE last year I was assured by BlackBerry that they will fully support BB10 for at least 2 years. That didn't happen.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-17 02:26 PM
    we are in deep hole

Posted via CB10
    Don't worry about drowning down there. The well is dry.
    09-15-17 11:12 PM
    The BB10 Os is amazing and the Passport SE is awesome. I bought 3 extra Passport SEs as spares.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-17 01:17 PM
    Before I bought my PP SE last year I was assured by BlackBerry that they will fully support BB10 for at least 2 years. That didn't happen.

Posted via CB10
    Well legally I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on there. BB10 isn't officially EOL and is "supported". They did not commit to any release schedule either. Nor did they specify what "supported" means. Perhaps it just means they will answer your technical support questions.
    09-16-17 06:36 PM
30 12