My cousin has a blackberry passport and he lost his phone. I checked on BlackBerry Protect and the phone location is still in my cousin's apartment. I don't think it's here we've looked everywhere I mean really everywhere. There is no way it's in his apartment. I tried calling his phone but it's turned off. Does BlackBerry protect shows the location of the phone even if it's turned off? Or just the last location before turning the phone off?

There is no way it's here. The building is 26 floors so I think it's still in the building somewhere.

If I keep checking BlackBerry Protect will the location changes even if the theif has security wiped the phone? Or its stuck on the last location before the security wipe.

I feel he security wiped the phone and then signed up with a new BlackBerry ID that's why the location didn't change from a week

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 07:04 AM
    Blackberry Protect will not work if the phone is off or if it is not connected to a network.
    It will only show the last location it saw it at and usually tell you how old that information is.

I'd suggest firing up Blackberry Protect on a device as much as possible to monitor if an when it comes online.

You could send a BBM from another device and when it shows delivered check protect.

If the phone connects to the Internet again Protect will register the new location.

Hope this helps
    Tartek67
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    06-01-15 07:17 AM
    Blackberry Protect will not work if the phone is off or if it is not connected to a network.
    It will only show the last location it saw it at and usually tell you how old that information is.

I'd suggest firing up Blackberry Protect on a device as much as possible to monitor if an when it comes online.

You could send a BBM from another device and when it shows delivered check protect.

If the phone connects to the Internet again Protect will register the new location.

Hope this helps
    Tartek67
    What if the theif security wiped the phone? Even if he connected it to a network it won't show in BlackBerry protect right? Since he signed with a new BlackBerry ID ?

So I can say the phone is gone

Thanks a lot

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 07:27 AM
    What if the theif security wiped the phone? Even if he connected it to a network it won't show in BlackBerry protect right? Since he signed with a new BlackBerry ID ?

Thanks a lot

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 07:28 AM

So I can say the phone is gone

Thanks a lot

Posted via CB10
    He cannot wipe it if he has no password. I think so.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 07:36 AM
    He cannot wipe it if he has no password. I think so.

Posted via CB10
    He can if he typed the wrong password more than 10 times. It would automatically security wipe.

Posted via CB10
    Mathias Mayaka likes this.
    06-01-15 07:38 AM
    If it was stolen, the thief can security wipe it and protect will no longer be able to control or find the phone.

Protect is associated to the BlackBerryID. Once the BlackBerryID is taken off the phone by security wipe, protect will no longer have a connection to the phone.

On the newest OS, 10.3.2, you will not be able to security wipe a phone without the BlackBerryID password. This will make the phone a brick and no use to the thief. This OS has not been released yet.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    06-01-15 08:28 AM
    He can if he typed the wrong password more than 10 times. It would automatically security wipe.

Posted via CB10
    That's completely ridiculous by BlackBerry. Can't believe that someone can that easily destroy your phone. Even a child by mistake.
    They should make the small part of the phone work constantly in the background and beep the gps location when you activate that with Protect or someone pushes the wrong password 10 times. That would be the real Protect!

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 10:41 AM
    I'm not sure about this, some people said that doing a wipe and using a different BBID will defeat BB Protect, some others said that BB Protect, BBID and your device PIN are linked together, so even if they use another BBID, the PIN would be still associated to your account and BB Protect will still work. I'm not sure of which of the two version is right.
    06-01-15 10:43 AM
    I'm not sure about this, some people said that doing a wipe and using a different BBID will defeat BB Protect, some others said that BB Protect, BBID and your device PIN are linked together, so even if they use another BBID, the PIN would be still associated to your account and BB Protect will still work. I'm not sure of which of the two version is right.

On 10.3.1 and earlier OS, the phone will still show in protect, but you will not be able to connect to it if your BlackBerryID is not on it. Otherwise, people could gain control of phones they had sold. With 10.3.2, you will have to remove your BlackBerryID from the phone prior to sale, using your BlackBerryID password. A new BlackBerryID will not be able to be put on the phone without first removing the old.
    06-01-15 10:56 AM
    On 10.3.1 and earlier OS, the phone will still show in protect, but you will not be able to connect to it if your BlackBerryID is not on it. Otherwise, people could gain control of phones they had sold. With 10.3.2, you will have to remove your BlackBerryID from the phone prior to sale, using your BlackBerryID password. A new BlackBerryID will not be able to be put on the phone without first removing the old.
    Well, that will be a very good reason to update to 10.3.2
    06-01-15 11:09 AM
    Can't you make it ring from the BlackBerry protect website if connected ?

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 11:23 AM
    Use the Flag as Stolen option in Protects webpage. At the very least the thief will never be able to use it nor sell it.
    06-01-15 11:53 AM
    I think the carriers have a role to play here,don't they have some sort of hot list !! I think they do because of all the violent crimes committed when they steal your baby,haha,Kevin knows,remember Paris?
    06-01-15 12:05 PM
    Use the Flag as Stolen option in Protects webpage. At the very least the thief will never be able to use it nor sell it.
    That seems to be a new option. Not sure it affects the use of it by somebody else. They do not mention blocking the device, just erasing it.

"Change the status of your device to stolen, and delete all of the data from your device, including email messages, contacts, and downloaded apps. On devices running BlackBerry 7.1 or earlier, the data on your media card is also deleted. BlackBerry Protect remains on. You can manage this device from the Manage Devices tab. "
    06-01-15 12:28 PM