Hey guys, I'm overwhelmed with what to do in the aftermath that has been my mobile device melt down this past week.

I left my Z10 for an iPhone 5s last November and it's been a great device for me and my list of complaints with the device was very short:, poor battery life, keyboard, and screen size. But the app ecosystem is what I loved, especially with anywhere iTunes access.

Then the ios8.1 update launches and my phone keeps locking up and freezing on me during phone calls and texts. I use my phone for work and it's my primary form of communication as I am often without access to a computer.

So I swapped back to my Z10. I remembered how much I loved the hub and the keyboard. The battery life is beyond horrible compared to my iPhone, not even getting 4 hours out of a single charge. With a autoloader 10.3 build I was quite happy with the advances in the system. I have been able to load all my productivity apps through Amazon and a few of the games I enjoy. However it just can't keep up with some of the games and will bog down or crash.

Not able to deal with the cramp battery life of my Z10 I asked for a refurbished device from my carrier and was given a galaxy Note 3 which I'm currently test driving.

It's too bleeding big! The email client also leaves a bit to be desired... But the battery life is very impressive as I've been on it constantly for 10 hours including calls and media streaming. And not even at half power yet.

So I'm looking for a combination of all three in one device, and in my research it looks like the passport could very well be it.

It's still big as it's just as wide as the Note, but not as tall. I don't know if that will help because it's the width I have a problem with. I haven't had the ability to touch one as no one has it in stock!

I haven't checked into it but I'm curious of how the aspect ratio affects certain apps and if they will be compatible.

Or do I go with a z30 and just carry two devices (iphone) as it doesn't crash doing the fun stuff and integrates with my car better than blackberry or Android devices.

It's the blackberry touch keyboard I miss the most through all of the devices I've used. Which is why im considering the z30 just as much as I'm thinking about the passport. Especially with the smaller form factor.

As is even with the note 3 I still got my iPhone in my pocket for games and music.

And I'm not shelling out for an iPhone 6 even though truthfully it's probably the best device for me overall at this time.
    10-30-14 04:47 PM
    This is Crackberry website, you're posting on a Passport thread. So... go buy an iPhone 6.

Posted via CB10
    anon(377288) and 3MIKE like this.
    10-30-14 06:09 PM
    .....based on what you wrote....get the iPhone.

I'm sure you will LOVE it!
    3MIKE likes this.
    10-30-14 06:16 PM
    Blackberry Z10 with better cpu and battery is what we all need.

Q10 PLAY PL (EU)
    10-30-14 06:29 PM
    It's great how people have to report to us like an authority. Like if you're on. CrackBerry, present a good argument for switching phones to avoid getting flamed.
    10-30-14 06:38 PM
    Definitely get the iPhone. I have a Passport and I have been on it for over 12 hours, 2 hours of GPS mapping and I have 71% power left. The screen is huge, the security is top notch and it is as close to bullet proof as you are going to find in a phone. Nothing like an iPhone.

Can't be hacked, tracked or cracked and it's just about impossible to use a full charge during waking hours. Not the iPhone experience.

If the icloud hack had happened to BlackBerry it would have been scandalous, but Apple blames Jennifer Lawrence for not setting up her security correctly and nobody calls them out on it. And tens of millions of people buy the bendy iPhone 6 and continue snapping nekkid selfies with nary a thought. (Personally I love icloud because at my age, there is zero chance I will see Jennifer Lawrence nekkid any other way. )

With hundreds of millions of credit and debit cards compromised just recently, it's hard to believe that most people would rather risk identity theft than do without a favorite app, but that's the world we live in.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 07:04 PM
    used to have Z10, decided to bye Z30, Then seduced by Passport, but finally got Z30! (passport was too expensive with that temporary unreal price!)
    i used iphone 5s too, my sister got it and since the update, I agree, it's totally screwed up!
    in this first week of my Z30 experince, that's what I love:

- Solid Audio quality & loudness:
    it's about both passport and z30. Passport is louder and more crisp clear with out standing audio details, but Z30 is still the most loud and clear sound between 2013 phones, even compared to flagship HTC M8! you can watch the comparison video z30 vs passport from n4bb and other z30 vs HTCs on youtube. I've got to mention, regarding the position of it's stereo loud speakers, if you put your device faced up on a flat surface, it will double the loudness and quality.

- very big and clear AMOLED display:
    one of my concerns about Z30 was it's display density, which made me pick z10 over z30. but honestly, I can't see any pixels! and surprising that in "info x" app, although resolution or PPI is lower than z10, but the DPI is almost as twice as z10! in other hand, you can't compare the AMOLED quality to LCD, every pixel on AMOLED panel is a LED diode which shows blacks by turning that pixels off... it results in very deep black color and very efficient battery usage in dark environments like dark theme for Hub, SMS, BBM, or settings... or even dark wallpapers! and it's more eye-friendly if you got used to chating or using your phone at night (only text pixels are turned on). but LCD shows black by turning all pixels on which drains battery so fast and is eye-enemy the screen is wider which most of all affects the type experience with less mistyped texts and helps you look your device from a further distance which again, it's eye-friendly.

- remarkable battery life:
    as mentioned, AMOLED dispaly plus 2880 mAh battery makes it a power bank, even iphone users beg for having such a power source. passport in other hand benefits the 1.5x battery life, even considering the high-density LCD screen... which is no wonder since it sports a 4000+mAh battery... no doubt that Z30 would have been flying if had it so it lasts a whole day if you heavily drink up the charge like a juice, 2-2.5 days in case of fair-balanced mixed usage, and 3+ days if you just need to call and type (on 2G network)...

- performance:
    if you're a z10 user, the boot up seems like walk in the park. almost no lag on swapping between pages or playing mid-graphical games I have no idea about passport, but it's doubtlessly faster!

- non-removable battery:
    both z30 and passport...any problems? I love this kind of phones! you know why?
    1. people think it's pain in the a** while the phone hangs or needs to be restarted immediately. but when a company starts to build phones like this, they consider optimizations so your phone will not leave you with only an option to take the battery out! because you can't!
    2. when you open the case to insert or remove the simcard you're not concerned about dropping the battery by mistake.
    3. hot-swappable simcard >) change your simcard while the phone is alive.

- size and feel:
    that's where exactly you're gonna miss 5s and z10, they are both most fitted all-touch phones into your palm. where even z30 with it's exact galaxy s 5 size will fail you... no need to mention passport! the feel that you can't wield it one-handed properly. ...but as you said having a z30 and a 5s?! I totally agree with that! that absolutely works for you. making your peace with dual-wielding phones will rectify any problems.

- connectivity:
    both sporting paratek antenna technology recently owned by blackberry which in theory (and in some reports, even in turn!) improves your reception in areas with poor network coverage and lets you stay connected with atleast 1 network level where other apple and android phones are out of coverage. (like elevators as someone mentioned somewhere) but it's very important that you use your correct regional model number (STA100-1,2,3,4,5,6) which is optimized for your provider bands and frequencies, otherwise you may even have poor coverage in areas where others got their reception indicator top to bottom. same Bluetooth, passport upgraded wifi standards to support "ac" standard too which is available through 250+$ cloud routers and hotspots(!) call quality and experience should sound awesome on passport considering the new earspot detection technology to automatically adjust call sound regarding how far the phone is from your ear.

you are the one who makes decision, but I recommend to have z30 and 5s and it works for you just fine, or if you can deal with the shape (which passport really deserves that) and want to buy passport, then use it alone! in case your iphone 5s may seem the "second phone"! ) poor iphone \
    lkyeg and chinmay007 like this.
    10-30-14 07:40 PM
    Thank you for actually reading my post and not just jumping to the go get an iPhone conclusion.

Even before I came to crack berry I was leaning towards the Z30 and PP. I know that blackberry is the productivity kings. Still trying to figure out if the spec difference is a legitimate concern.

I'm a field trainer for a large automotive group as well as a part time professional photographer. So I'm often away from a desk and need something efficient for communication. I also need something to keep me entertained between clients... And because I'm often away from a desk or place to charge I need endurance. Finally, screen resolution is important so I can show potential clients I meet out in the wild my photography work on a whim if I don't have my tablet (playbook) or laptop with me.

So what is real world endurance from the Z30? If I get 4-5 hours from a Z10 can I expect at least 8-9 from the Z30?

Hey if my wife can dual wield (granted with an iPod touch) then I can. And with a SIM card adapter potentially have a backup phone on me at all times just in case.

I think the ultimate combo for me would be Z30 and a Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet.
    huungryshark and anon(377288) like this.
    10-30-14 10:27 PM
    Depends... I have noticed that the BB10 OS isn't great at handling battery life when your cell connection is poor. Where I work, I toggle from no connection to one or two bars on 4G. For the Z10, I pretty much just kept it plugged into the charger all day, otherwise I got 4 hours max. With the Z30, I could get 6-8. And with the Passport, I'm probably getting around 10, although I haven't fully tested that to see. I'm sure it just uses a lot of battery searching for a tower, like most phones, but I wish BlackBerry would pay more attention to this issue.

In a good reception area, I usually got around max12 hours with the Z10, 14-15 with the Z30 and I have yet to figure out the max for the Passport as it's usually back on the charger with plenty power left when I call it a night.

IMO, the Passport is BlackBerry's best if you like qwerty. If you're a fan of the touch keyboard, I'd probably stick with the Z30 as the Passport keyboard can take a bit to get used to. You really won't go wrong with either, but in any case, good luck with your choice!
    lkyeg likes this.
    10-30-14 10:54 PM
    I say go with iPhone because you're more lenient on apps and iTunes managing your media. BB10 have a much better media player then iOS imo but it doesn't have a good desktop media manager like iTunes. Anyways, that's not Blackberry area, consumer apps and media is more of an Apple's thing. If you're looking for reliability and productivity then go with the Passport because it gets things done.
    10-31-14 02:30 AM
    The z30 was an amazing phone. I was so sad to part with it (gave it to my brother) for the passport which is proving to be an amazing device especially for reading!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 02:58 AM
    I say go with iPhone because you're more lenient on apps and iTunes managing your media. BB10 have a much better media player then iOS imo but it doesn't have a good desktop media manager like iTunes. Anyways, that's not Blackberry area, consumer apps and media is more of an Apple's thing. If you're looking for reliability and productivity then go with the Passport because it gets things done.
    The media and apps thing does require more work on blackberry, but endurance is more important to me. That and I can't afford/not willing to pay for an iPhone 6.
    10-31-14 08:20 AM
    Have you considered Motorola's Moto X? The first gen was incredibly reliable and efficient, with a solid build. I haven't had any experience with the Moto X 2014, but reviews have it pegged as another win.
    10-31-14 08:43 AM
    Depends... I have noticed that the BB10 OS isn't great at handling battery life when your cell connection is poor. Where I work, I toggle from no connection to one or two bars on 4G. For the Z10, I pretty much just kept it plugged into the charger all day, otherwise I got 4 hours max. With the Z30, I could get 6-8. And with the Passport, I'm probably getting around 10, although I haven't fully tested that to see. I'm sure it just uses a lot of battery searching for a tower, like most phones, but I wish BlackBerry would pay more attention to this issue.

In a good reception area, I usually got around max12 hours with the Z10, 14-15 with the Z30 and I have yet to figure out the max for the Passport as it's usually back on the charger with plenty power left when I call it a night.

IMO, the Passport is BlackBerry's best if you like qwerty. If you're a fan of the touch keyboard, I'd probably stick with the Z30 as the Passport keyboard can take a bit to get used to. You really won't go wrong with either, but in any case, good luck with your choice!

I've noticed that talking to others as well and with my own devices. I loose battery faster sitting on the couch at home than I do when I'm downtown, mostly because my living room is a dead zone! Which is one reason why I try to live on wifi whenever I can.

I'm a huge fan of the touch keyboard from BB10. That alone is almost enough reason to stay on my Z10 and just wait for a Z30 successor (if it ever comes). It's just that battery life that is killing me! I'm going to look for a Z30 on Kijij so I don't burn my hardware upgrade for the next 3 years on a year old device. :P
    10-31-14 10:26 AM
    I actually use both an iPhone 6 (which is my first iPhone) and a Passport.

I prefer the portability of the iPhone when I go for a run or go out at night to social events. When I am on-set I prefer using the Passport as BB has, in my opinion, superior email organization and a true file structure that allows documents to be attached, etc. Also the aspect ratio of the Passport is really good when reviewing and dealing with documents that need my approval.

Before that I had a Z10 which I upgraded to a Z30. The Z10 is a very nice device but the battery life was just painful. The Z30, which I still have is way better than the Z10.

In the end when it come to either a BlackBerry or iPhone, neither is better or worse than the other as it comes down to what works best for you.
    anon(377288) likes this.
    10-31-14 01:50 PM
    Thank you for actually reading my post and not just jumping to the go get an iPhone conclusion.

Even before I came to crack berry I was leaning towards the Z30 and PP. I know that blackberry is the productivity kings. Still trying to figure out if the spec difference is a legitimate concern.

I'm a field trainer for a large automotive group as well as a part time professional photographer. So I'm often away from a desk and need something efficient for communication. I also need something to keep me entertained between clients... And because I'm often away from a desk or place to charge I need endurance. Finally, screen resolution is important so I can show potential clients I meet out in the wild my photography work on a whim if I don't have my tablet (playbook) or laptop with me.

So what is real world endurance from the Z30? If I get 4-5 hours from a Z10 can I expect at least 8-9 from the Z30?

Hey if my wife can dual wield (granted with an iPod touch) then I can. And with a SIM card adapter potentially have a backup phone on me at all times just in case.

I think the ultimate combo for me would be Z30 and a Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet.
    you're welcome! I tell people buy android phones or even iphone if their statement means they need 1 of 'em. if people ask me the direction to a hospital, I'm not gonna lead 'em to the police station just because I'm a cop! O.o ... on that note...

yes exactly! 5 to 9 can explain it the best way... or we can say, "less than twice!" I can guaranty the whole day in case of hardcore usage.
    (I'm using 2G network in my country, it should be less in 3/4G but blackberry states in their blog "blackberry 10 smartphones are built with efficiency in mind, so turning off radios like mobile network, bluetooth, NFC, wifi, should NOT help improve battey life" but considering the experiences of people, they mean the ideal and didn't considered the poor reception in low coverage areas which increases the battery usage to enhance the signal and stay connected)
    I fall in love with z30... look, the passport is a giant in everything compared to z30, but in case of wielding, and also pricing, if you don't need something beyond... so z30 works for you just fine. but if you're insisting on "endurance" so deal with passport! beside the fact that you can give someone's car a jump with that damn hell giant battery... there's a feature (software related to 10.3 I guess) that you can put your device in a standby-power saving mode just by turning it over. it maybe add up half a day or more if you don't leave your device faced up at all!
    anyway I hope you find your proper device, have a good one
    11-04-14 12:06 AM
    With the current sale I plan on pulling the trigger on a Z30 right away. Thanks guys!
    anon(377288) likes this.
    11-04-14 12:33 AM
    With the current sale I plan on pulling the trigger on a Z30 right away. Thanks guys!
    good! it won't let you down... it's good enough to jump over the passport. you've got enough time to use it until mid-2015 which blackberry patents come to life maybe an all-touch with a hidden physical keyboard as rumors said! who knows?
    11-04-14 12:57 AM
    Hey! forgot to say... Verizon Z30 (STA100-3) also supports wireless charging! it woks with standard Verizon stand charger and other samsung and nokia certified ones... if you consider having wireless chargers at home and work.
    11-04-14 01:09 AM
    My Z3 gives me 2 days with light use, and a full day with heavy use. Screen is a good size and everything runs smoothly. Imo this phone is underrated.

Posted from my Blackberry Z3
    11-04-14 01:18 AM
    If you are wanting a direct replacement the Z30 for what you described you are using it for is the better device!

It doesn't sound like you need a keyboard device! If you are happy with touch screen capability which sounds like you are, that will ne the great: device for you! The Z30 is a beats of a device and the speediness of the device will be good for what you need it for!

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    11-04-14 02:07 AM
    dude scorpion931024, where are ya??!!!
    01-28-15 07:41 PM