I really wanted this to work. I had picked up a nice red Passport, and was smitten by the square format, beautiful display, great keyboard, good specs (at least on paper), microSD slot, cool speakers, still innovative Hub, and intuitive OS. And Android emulation to fill in the app gap.

But the reality turned out to be very different - and ignoring reality sounds like another definition of mental illness.

My experiment to convert from an iPhone 6 Plus to a Passport did not go well. Allow me to explain...

First, the breadth and depth of the app gap is staggering.

Second, even relying on native BlackBerry apps can be an "iffy" proposition. I've downloaded BBW apps that didn't work. A couple apps lost support during these several months and stopped working. Even where non-BB versions of apps are available for iOS, Android, or Windows phone, the corresponding BlackBerry app may have less functionality and not have been updated for a couple years. Which theoretically makes Android compatibility even more important. But, ...

Third, many of the more desirable Android apps require Google Play Services - which requires a complex work-around only a geek could love.

Fourth, being limited to Android run time 4.3 is almost fatal. Each month more Android apps require APIs introduced after 4.3. As I learned the hard way, even an Android 4.3 app which you can install today may break tomorrow after an app update or other change in your ecosystem.

Fifth, Android running on 4.3 on the Passport is sloowww. Slow to launch. Slow in performance. Any some apps crash out any time.

So, I'm resigned to relying on my iPhone for anything related to audio, video, streaming, podcasts, auto dashcam, Microsoft Office, travel, and so much more

But i'll hold on to the Passport for reading ebooks & blogs, writing, Web browsing, VNC, Hub & email, and other less CPU intensive work.

For what it's worth...

Posted via CB10
    dracolnyte likes this.
    07-19-16 08:21 PM
    Different stroke for Different folks...
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-19-16 08:31 PM
    Yup. I don't disagree. App situation and ART4.3 is hurting this device. Soon as WebEx ends it's service next year, it will be time to move on.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-19-16 08:33 PM
    Yup if you rely on apps ios or Android would be better choice than passport
    07-19-16 08:37 PM
    Those social apps work best on a tablet anyway. Nothing lost here.

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    bigjman likes this.
    07-19-16 08:57 PM
    I'm finding that a few apps have become more useful to me now, instagram works well, and even Uber works well. I have no need for other social apps, I have snapchat working but I hardly use it, I have more people on BBM than I do on snapchat. I have whatsapp but I don't use it. Really I don't use social media only when I'm on a computer or on their website. Games are something that I would like to do more often, but I realized that I'd rather keep one device for just that, and another mainly for communication, as battery life is most necessary for job hunting, work, and navigation as I travel a lot. I also use my device for research and well it works to have a work device separate from a play device, I'm finding such comfort in that. I think that will help me out once I get the priv, that will be my play device while the passport will be my work device. If I happen to need to do some work on the priv I can and what not. Oh well that's just me.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-16 09:06 PM
    The BlackBerry experience is quickly becoming a device for the hard core user and the fans.

I am looking to buy a Passport Silver Edition perhaps in the fall. Currently using a Classic which I love.

BlackBerry devices are excellent for keyboard, battery, hub etc.

If apps are vital to you, then BlackBerry will disappoint. The loss of WhatsApp and plenty of other apps will make the devices harder and harder to use for people who require/want them.

I myself only foresee myself needing calls, texts, emails and BBM messages for the near future. Tech is always changing quickly but I suspect I will get a few good years out of my Classic and soon to be Passport SE.

All the best to you with whatever platform you choose.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) and BBpp2014 like this.
    07-19-16 09:30 PM
    If you ever decide to put that red Passport up for sale, they move fast in he marketplace here.

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    rarsen and anon(9742832) like this.
    07-19-16 09:41 PM
    Even when I don't disagree I wonder how this is a surprise... didn't you know this before getting it? I had a passport, and that device was awesome but I didn't expect to run all the apps like they were native...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-19-16 09:53 PM
    What social apps? AFAIK I don't use any.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 02:11 AM
    Sure, I knew about it. But I did not expect it to be as bad as it turned out.

Even when I don't disagree I wonder how this is a surprise... didn't you know this before getting it? I had a passport, and that device was awesome but I didn't expect to run all the apps like they were native...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-20-16 02:14 AM
    Thanks! I'll probably hold onto it for WiFi / offline use, at least until the next BB10 update, in case it fixes a few bugs. And, it serves ok as a backup dashcam, so there's that.

But, just in case, where do I find that marketplace?

If you ever decide to put that red Passport up for sale, they move fast in he marketplace here.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 02:27 AM

Typical Crackberry response, thinking all apps are just kids stuff.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    07-20-16 05:28 AM
    I really wanted this to work. I had picked up a nice red Passport, and was smitten by the square format, beautiful display, great keyboard, good specs (at least on paper), microSD slot, cool speakers, still innovative Hub, and intuitive OS. And Android emulation to fill in the app gap.

But the reality turned out to be very different - and ignoring reality sounds like another definition of mental illness.

My experiment to convert from an iPhone 6 Plus to a Passport did not go well. Allow me to explain...

First, the breadth and depth of the app gap is staggering.

Second, even relying on native BlackBerry apps can be an "iffy" proposition. I've downloaded BBW apps that didn't work. A couple apps lost support during these several months and stopped working. Even where non-BB versions of apps are available for iOS, Android, or Windows phone, the corresponding BlackBerry app may have less functionality and not have been updated for a couple years. Which theoretically makes Android compatibility even more important. But, ...

Third, many of the more desirable Android apps require Google Play Services - which requires a complex work-around only a geek could love.

Fourth, being limited to Android run time 4.3 is almost fatal. Each month more Android apps require APIs introduced after 4.3. As I learned the hard way, even an Android 4.3 app which you can install today may break tomorrow after an app update or other change in your ecosystem.

Fifth, Android running on 4.3 on the Passport is sloowww. Slow to launch. Slow in performance. Any some apps crash out any time.

So, I'm resigned to relying on my iPhone for anything related to audio, video, streaming, podcasts, auto dashcam, Microsoft Office, travel, and so much more

But i'll hold on to the Passport for reading ebooks & blogs, writing, Web browsing, VNC, Hub & email, and other less CPU intensive work.

For what it's worth...

Posted via CB10
    MS Office Mobile works fine for me on my SE

BlackBerry Since 2006. SE and Priv
    Jrox74 likes this.
    07-20-16 06:09 AM
    Thanks! I'll probably hold onto it for WiFi / offline use, at least until the next BB10 update, in case it fixes a few bugs. And, it serves ok as a backup dashcam, so there's that.

But, just in case, where do I find that marketplace?

Posted via CB10
    The marketplace is http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1076665

07-20-16 07:52 AM
    Your entire post is about apps. Uhmmmm...yup...if you absolutely have to have all the latest Android apps, then BlackBerry is not for you. No question about it. Can't believe you even gave BB10 a try with that "must have" in mind.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    07-20-16 08:31 AM
    Don't disagree with you. Because I am doing the same thing like you. I use Iphone 5s with my passport. It is going well. I thought it is perfect match much better than Iphone with Ipad.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 09:36 AM
    Your entire post is about apps. Uhmmmm...yup...if you absolutely have to have all the latest Android apps, then BlackBerry is not for you. No question about it. Can't believe you even gave BB10 a try with that "must have" in mind.

Dude.. It's not a question of must have apps. It's about apps that used to work will not work anymore just because BlackBerry ART is outdated and would see no future updates.

Are you saying that someone who uses WhatsApp for business or social reasons should all of a sudden stop using it just cos BlackBerry 10 is not supported? Of course they'll move to another platform that provides the functionality they need. People that rely on the Microsoft suite of apps for work.. Do you expect them to move to Docs to Go just cos they use a BlackBerry 10 phone?

My wife for instance uses Facebook to advertise her business and gets customers via her page for her events decorating business.. U want her to quit Facebook just cos BlackBerry 10 is not supported?

I'm sure u see where I'm going with this. It's like saying people should stick to the old analogue TV when all broadcasters have moved to digital broadcasting only. That's what's happening to BlackBerry 10 and just like it did to bbos and is why BlackBerry themselves moved to QNX.. Albeit a little too late. Same way they screwed up BBM.

That's the exact reason why I moved to the Priv. Still BlackBerry but it's a current and relevant phone that ensures I don't have to keep downloading patched apk's, moaning about no support, excluded from all relevant apps that make life easy and most of all.. Not having to pay for knock offs like all the third party Facebook and Instagram apps that bb10 users have to put up with.

It's ridiculous how u die hards fail to see this. Imho it's that thought process that killed bb10.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv�
    Last edited by naijab0y; 07-20-16 at 12:14 PM.
    MC_A_DOT, TGR1, nappalonia and 1 others like this.
    07-20-16 10:16 AM
    The previous poster is right. BB10 is becoming a niche product for avid communicators and and a novelty for everyone else. I'm not all about apps but implementing a workaround for Google services and finding old versions then ignoring update notices was a PITA for the very few that I need for work. I had to jump ship. Suffered long enough.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-20-16 10:59 AM

Of course it's about apps. That's the point of the smart phone. Android, IOS and Blackberry 10 are app based systems. Blackberry tout themselves as a business, serious operating system, however when you are lacking some important apps then your claim falls down a bit. I myself have bought the PP but have to use in conjunction with my Android phone as I just can't get my companies most important app Salesforce1. As it is I love the Passport but: in my work life if lacks the most important element I need.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 11:36 AM
    Now that BB10 is virtually abandoned and the old Android runtime is down to almost useless, I was finally forced off of my Passport about 4 months ago. It seemed every day another app stopped working, stuttered, or hung up, and the once great device became futile except for phone calls and email. It's a sad story for a very innovative and beautiful device, but time marches on and my Priv has served me well.
    07-20-16 11:39 AM
    The app gaps on BB10 vis a vis android or IOS is too big . Having said that Passport still continues to be my bread winner due to the BB10 Hub which hitherto remains unparalleled. Priv is being used by me to address the apps gap and the rear cam.
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    07-20-16 11:54 AM
    The previous poster is right. BB10 is becoming a niche product for avid communicators and and a novelty for everyone else. I'm not all about apps but implementing a workaround for Google services and finding old versions then ignoring update notices was a PITA for the very few that I need for work. I had to jump ship. Suffered long enough.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    For Avid Communicators? Is that something like calling a BB a productivity tool? What does this even mean?The whole idea of the smartphone is the apps. Thats what makes them so useful and makes them a "Productivity " device. If you dont need app then a 600.00 smartphone is almost a joke. BB used to do a lot of things great. Sadly, It's only real plus now is email. Everything else is handled as well or better by other platforms.
    07-20-16 12:12 PM
    when you are ready you can message me I have a Passport SE which I just got, I'm really loving it, but once Whatsapp stops support I will have to offload it as I use Whatsapp a lot. I call my daughter overseas using Whatsapp, sounds like she is NEXT DOOR with the Passport! I also love having the FM radio built in.
    07-20-16 03:40 PM
    For Avid Communicators? Is that something like calling a BB a productivity tool? What does this even mean?The whole idea of the smartphone is the apps. Thats what makes them so useful and makes them a "Productivity " device. If you dont need app then a 600.00 smartphone is almost a joke. BB used to do a lot of things great. Sadly, It's only real plus now is email. Everything else is handled as well or better by other platforms.
    Hence the move to Android, to fill that gap. On the other hand, if you're workflow is mainly voice, text, email and browsing then it's an excellent device. The audio quality is outstanding, including speakerphone, the pkb shortcuts are wonderful and the Hub is a great way to integrate core messaging. I still use apps through Cobalt's solution, but the clock is ticking as the JellyBean runtime won't last forever.

For everyone else, there's Apple and Android. Everybody's happy.
    07-20-16 03:55 PM
39 12