Does anyone think its time Blackberry's Board give some serious consideration to a spinoff of the hardware section into a new company to be managed by a newly appointed CEO who knows the smart phone business as it appears that Chen is no longer interested in this side of the business.
    Chen's constant negative comments threatening to leave the hardware business unless it becomes profitable does not exactly give the current and or potential customers the confidence to invest the money for the purchase of a new phone when its not sure when that side of the business will cease to exist. In my opinion, this negativity has led to the declining sales within the hardware section each quarter.
    The new company could initially be funded by cash from Blackberry and an IPO.
    Chen would obviously continue to remain in-charge of the software and other related businesses since it appears that that's the side of the business he knows best.
    Nah, I think they should bring on someone strong in hardware as a Co-CEO that would balance out Chen's software strengths.

Should work, no? =)
    Kyle Montanaro likes this.
    07-06-16 05:32 PM
    Wpuld love to see the passport form factor continue. As niche as it is
    07-06-16 05:39 PM
    As far as I know, the Mercury/Argon/Neon are no more than conjecture and rumor; the closest thing to a concrete future device is the Hamburg/DTEK 50/Alcatel Idol 4/whatever.

And as for putting Android on previous BB10 devices, updating old devices wouldn't bring in any new device revenue, and would incur more costs due to the archaeologists needed to work with the BB10 hardware platform.
    And technically, they can't put Android on the original Passport because it has the 1:1 screen ratio, no? Android apps seem to scale fine to that ratio (I actually prefer using Google Maps 1:1), but I can't see Google making an exception just for BlackBerry.
    07-06-16 05:42 PM
    I would love for that to happen. But until I see a prototype in Chen's hands, I'm not getting excited.

You can't even trust prototypes. Not only did it not arrive running BB10, the white version is nowhere to be found either.

Looks like an Android-powered "Passport" is coming-slider_ronlouks.jpg
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 07-06-16 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Image Addition
    07-06-16 09:49 PM
    I wish that Blackberry completely die. Playbook died first. Now passport. I mean passport wasn't cheap. Now passport is dead also. Now what? I should buy another expensive phone from blackberry?

For what?

They could at least update os for passport, classic etc. so that we can use device longer. But no. I have to throw my passport in garbage and buy new blackberry with Android os.

Wow a great company.
    There is nothing wrong with Passport and it doesn't need an update to make it better. My Passport is Rock Solid, everything works. I run mine on OSV2876/SWR2836 and it runs perfectly. I don't want an update.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-06-16 09:49 PM
    You can't even trust prototypes. Not only did it not arrive running BB10, the white version is nowhere to be found either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slider_ronlouks.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	466.6 KB 
ID:	403563
    It's even funnier if you look at the BB logo behind Louks. Bla - Berry, hah. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 I guess.
    07-06-16 10:38 PM
    It would be nice if I could have a BlackBerry Passport SE!
    07-07-16 12:26 AM
    Can't see that as a passport, those specs are so well off a power house of a device and the passport released with top of the line specs at that time.

That's an android spin off from the class.

But if you are right il pick one up.
    07-07-16 06:44 AM
    The market has spoken Chen, the world doesn't want Blackberry phones especially when the RCMP have the global encryption keys for every bbm message sent.

Focus your efforts on bending over for corrupt governments, your only clients left.
    07-07-16 06:49 AM
    There is nothing wrong with Passport and it doesn't need an update to make it better. My Passport is Rock Solid, everything works. I run mine on OSV2876/SWR2836 and it runs perfectly. I don't want an update.

Yes your passport is running just fine bla bla. Without Apps and support it's just dumb phone. The next you wanna tell me that bbm is better than WhatsApp and I should use bbm, because bbm i just awsome. I do not know a single Person that using bbm.
    07-07-16 09:58 AM

Sorry but the Passport form factor doesn't lend itself very well to being the front line device that Chen is looking to provide.
    Very true---which means that is why it would happen (just based on past experience)

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience...
    07-07-16 10:08 AM
    Well, i didnt know that. I don't follow such news. If I knew I wouldn't buy it.
    I'm very sad because I love blackberry devices
    With almost 300 posts on here, you should have known.

That's the problem with a lot of new BlackBerry users. They dive in headfirst without doing the research. Whenever i buy a phone, i try to find as much as i can about it.

That's user error, not a company flaw.
    07-07-16 10:15 AM
    With almost 300 posts on here, you should have known.

That's the problem with a lot of new BlackBerry users. They dive in headfirst without doing the research. Whenever i buy a phone, i try to find as much as i can about it.

That's user error, not a company flaw.
    He's been here since 2012 and has had a Q10 most that time... he's not a new users. But some only see what they want to see....
    07-07-16 10:41 AM
    That would be good news

07-07-16 10:58 AM
    Yes your passport is running just fine bla bla. Without Apps and support it's just dumb phone. The next you wanna tell me that bbm is better than WhatsApp and I should use bbm, because bbm i just awsome. I do not know a single Person that using bbm.
    Any App that I want is available, never used WhatsApp, never used BBM, never knew anyone that used either. I believe there are people who simply desire a phone that doesn't work so they can tinker. I want a phone that works all the time like my Passport. Some of u act like ubuntu groupies who don't mind an os that just doesn't work globally and live for the puzzle.
    07-07-16 01:40 PM
    For sure they have a stock of unsold Passports, why they don't put an Android on it and sell on some bargain price?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-16 03:34 PM
    Interesting. Maybe we'll be able to install Android on our passports as well.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-16 03:41 PM
    For sure they have a stock of unsold Passports, why they don't put an Android on it and sell on some bargain price?

Posted via CB10
    Toucheee
    Thats one h@ll of a question! !!
    07-07-16 04:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Haven't you been reading CrackBerry? The BB10 phones will not get Android. Or it would have already happened, like YEARS ago!!!
    07-07-16 07:06 PM
    @Denise it's a shame that programmers haven't fit into this new BBOS or even BB10 re-branding. Ever since Z10 was introduced it was said right off the bat that snapchat wasn't on board and now facebook doesn't want to work with BlackBerry either. I know there are different independent programmers working but it's just a shame that it takes so much hard work to get them to back us when on iOS and Android it's one simple click.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-16 07:17 PM
    Just buy a Passport, Classic or a Z30 so you can enjoy BB10. They will not get Android. We have no choice but to accept reality.

I think I will buy a Z30, even if I do also pick up an Android BlackBerry. Just for the heck of it.
    07-07-16 07:27 PM
    That new passport must come in both Droid and BlackBerry 10

No Shade Just Light!!! Silver Passport 10.3.2.2639
    07-08-16 10:41 AM
    That new passport must come in both Droid and BlackBerry 10

No Shade Just Light!!! Silver Passport 10.3.2.2639
    BlackBerry has unsold 2 year old Passports. It is highly improbable that any more Passports will be made EVER, with BB10 or Android.
    07-08-16 11:02 AM
    BlackBerry has unsold 2 year old Passports. It is highly improbable that any more Passports will be made EVER, with BB10 or Android.
    That's why you can get them on the cheap now. It's really sad as it is a quality phone with a quality OS. If it had sold more they probably would have thought to go with an android variant, but I doubt that they will now.

It's a real shame.

Priv running 6.0.1 on TMO
    07-08-16 11:40 AM
    They started late in marketing...

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    07-08-16 12:25 PM
107 12345