I am currently using the "Picture Password" as my lock screen. After 5 failed attempts to unlock the screen I see the following message:

"Warning - You have entered an incorrect password 5 times. After 10 unsuccessful attempts your device data will be erased."

This means that anyone can wipe out my data simply by getting the password wrong 10 or more times. Can this be disabled? I don't want my data to be erased if someone is tampering with my lock screen. Also, does anyone know exactly which data gets erased? Everything on my media card too?
    10-28-15 05:53 AM
    No, it's only bring you to put numeric password

Edit miss understood your post yes it will wipe your phone to its factory settings
    10-28-15 06:18 AM
    ...yes it will wipe your phone to its factory settings
    That sucks. I wish I could disable that. Someone can cause all my data to be erased simply by tampering with my lock screen.

Yes, I know....this means I probably should backup everything to the cloud!
    10-28-15 06:37 AM
    That sucks. I wish I could disable that. Someone can cause all my data to be erased simply by tampering with my lock screen.

Yes, I know....this means I probably should backup everything to the cloud!
    It would take a pretty mean person to want to wipe your phone on purpose. The warnings are clear. Why would someone like that have access to your phone?

It is also childproof, as you need to type "blackberry" after the first 5 attempts.

If someone is trying that desperately to get into your device, it's a good thing they only have 10 chances at it.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    10-28-15 06:44 AM
    Yep. That's how my Passport got wiped/erase few weeks ago by someone who played with my phone
    10-28-15 01:46 PM
    Yep. That's how my Passport got wiped/erase few weeks ago by someone who played with my phone
    By "playing", you mean someone actively and knowingly trying to sabotage you?

10-28-15 01:51 PM
    With picture password on, you get five attempts to get it right, then you're asked to enter the word "blackberry" all lower case (this prevents a pocket wipe) and then you get another five attempts to get it right, but instead of the picture password, you have to use your regular password using the keyboard (this is why picture password requires a regular device password).

It would take someone with malicious intent to actually wipe your phone when "messing with you." if a friend of yours wipes your phone through this process, they're no friend of yours. There's tons of warnings about the phone being wiped and very intentional steps that need to be taken to get to that step. There's no accidents for this type of device wipe.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    10-28-15 02:11 PM
    I hope BBY will make 2 options at 1 time, picture password or normal password..
    If I start writing the password its ok. When Im moving the picture its also ok...
    10-28-15 02:39 PM
    I think by using Blackberry protect we can stop it.

BlackBerry Z10
    10-28-15 02:45 PM
    I think by using Blackberry protect we can stop it.

BlackBerry Z10
    Huh?

10-28-15 02:47 PM
    By "playing", you mean someone actively and knowingly trying to sabotage you?

Exactly no idea. But would it be possible if BlackBerry was the one who does it (accidentally?) other than me and the mysterious person?

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2789
    10-28-15 05:54 PM
    Exactly no idea. But would it be possible if BlackBerry was the one who does it (accidentally?) other than me and the mysterious person?

Are you suggesting that it's possible for BlackBerry to remotely wipe your device accidentally?

JB

10-28-15 08:50 PM
    Nobody touches my BlackBerry devices. Why would somebody ever sit there and do that to your BlackBerry? How would they even get it? Like, an untrustworthy family member while you're asleep or something? I don't get it.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 08:58 PM
    And no, it won't happen by accident or by BlackBerry. You're paranoid.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 08:59 PM
    Back up your BlackBerry data regularly if it is that important to you.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 09:00 PM
    Best practice is to backup your device, that way if it is stolen, broken, or... wiped on purpose by a jerk, you will still have most of your data while knowing that it was not compromised.

Posted via CB10
    jdesignz likes this.
    10-28-15 09:01 PM
    Then who does? One morning when I woke up I found my Passport on my short pocket. It supposed to be inside my slingbag then when I plugged it in the charger it open up and a security wipe icon shocked me! I use flipcover so I know I'm safe from pocket typing while I'm knockout dead.

10-28-15 10:09 PM
    Do you have any relatives that passed away and you forgot to pay visit or offer prayers? Just only asking...

Anyway, there is an incident (if I still remembered it right) that his Passport security wiped itself when it is in his pocket. And the only explanation on this phenomenon is the sensitivity of our Passports' screen that enable to activate it, even dial someone from your contact list without your consent.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 10:24 PM
    And the only explanation on this phenomenon is the sensitivity of our Passports' screen that enable to activate it, even dial someone from your contact list without your consent.

Posted via CB10
    And it randomly typed "blackberry" after 5 failed attempts?

10-28-15 10:31 PM
    OK then, the OP really need to pay visit and offer prayers for his relatives who passed away... All Saints Day Is coming anyway...

Posted via CB10
    phikappa likes this.
    10-28-15 10:44 PM
    It would take a pretty mean person to want to wipe your phone on purpose. The warnings are clear. Why would someone like that have access to your phone?

It is also childproof, as you need to type "blackberry" after the first 5 attempts.

If someone is trying that desperately to get into your device, it's a good thing they only have 10 chances at it.
    Okay, the childproof step of typing "blackberry" helps a lot. It appears the OS will not go any further at this point until someone exactly types "blackberry", after which it will proceed to the 6th chance by asking the user to enter the device password.

I was not really too worried about anyone accidentally wiping out my phone, but I just wanted to be sure just in case that rare event happened where someone got access to my phone. I also have some guy friends who are pranksters. They might not be THAT mean, but never know what they might do.
    10-29-15 02:58 AM
    BlackBerry has always been concerned with security and privacy, especially as it relates to the data on your phone. If your phone is stolen, if you've got a password, the person who stole the phone will ultimately end up wiping the phone when they try to get in. You won't get your phone back, but at least your data hasn't fallen into the wrong hands. When you combine this with device and media card encryption, it also ensures that the data on your media card (unaffected by a security wipe) is protected in that it becomes unusable in the event of a device wipe. Again, your device and card are gone, but your data is safe.

JB

10-29-15 06:00 AM
    ....When you combine this with device and media card encryption, it also ensures that the data on your media card (unaffected by a security wipe) is protected in that it becomes unusable in the event of a device wipe. Again, your device and card are gone, but your data is safe.
    I never have any reason to remove my media card.....but suppose someone removes my media card. Will they still be able to access all of my files? I thought someone told me that the media card is encrypted or something, but I don't remember if that was true or not.
    10-29-15 03:25 PM
    I never have any reason to remove my media card.....but suppose someone removes my media card. Will they still be able to access all of my files? I thought someone told me that the media card is encrypted or something, but I don't remember if that was true or not.
    You can encrypt your media card if you choose to. Then no one can do anything with it. It can only be read by the device it was encrypted with.

10-29-15 03:29 PM
    How do I encrypt the media card? Do I need an app for this?
    10-29-15 03:46 PM
32 12