Anyone know if sending music from Passport wirelessly to another device if the DAC occurs in the Passport or in the external device?

I know with HDMI it's at the external device - not sure with wireless.
    11-25-14 10:30 AM
    If you simply Play on the Passport, then the device DAC will be used

But, you can enable file sharing on your Passport, and access the files directly via WiFi

So if you have a better DAC, simply use the Passport as a file-server and grab the files you need
    11-25-14 11:14 AM
    That's a good option. I was also thinking of running a slim port HDMI adapter since I know with HDMI the music file is sent downstream to the outboard DAC which is what I want.
    11-25-14 01:43 PM
    You could also use the music player (or any media player) to play over Bluetooth to an aptX enabled external device for lossless playback. This is something I do with great results.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    11-25-14 02:33 PM
    Will wireless connection support lossless quality WAV files for example?
    11-25-14 05:14 PM
    Yep. I use both lossless WAV and FLAC.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 05:34 PM
    You could also use the music player (or any media player) to play over Bluetooth to an aptX enabled external device for lossless playback. This is something I do with great results.
    How do you know the codex in use is Aptx when connected to the BlackBerry? There's not much info there.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 05:47 PM
    How do you know the codex in use is Aptx when connected to the BlackBerry? There's not much info there.

Posted via CB10
    You will hear it. The added bandwidth makes the music experience similar to using a wired connection
    mister2d likes this.
    12-19-14 05:52 PM

Posted via CB10

I always thought this was a problem with aptX in general. There are no indicators on any audio equipment I have found. You'll just have to train your ears to tell the difference between listening to uncompressed vs. compressed music.

There is a way on Android with shell/root access. You can view the logs that deal with streaming and see the codec in use.
    12-20-14 07:59 PM
    There are a lot of 3 and 4 letter words used in this thread.
    Technomotive likes this.
    12-20-14 09:46 PM
    Was just about to post a query, but found this thread... can you confirm aptX functionality on the Passport?

For the Z10/Q10 - up until 10.2.1, the specs only indicated "Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy (LE)", but post 10.2.1 this changed to "Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy (LE) with aptX™ enabled". The official spec page for the Passport currently says only : "Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy (LE)"...

Thanks!
    01-06-15 10:44 PM
    Was just about to post a query, but found this thread... can you confirm aptX functionality on the Passport?
    Yes, aptX is up and running on the Passport, as long as you connect bluetooth equipment with aptX support ....
    primusd likes this.
    01-06-15 10:46 PM
    Yes, aptX is up and running on the Passport, as long as you connect bluetooth equipment with aptX support ....
    Thanks Morten. Just curious, how were you able to confirm this?
    01-06-15 11:41 PM
    Thanks Morten. Just curious, how were you able to confirm this?
    Screenshot from passport:

listening to music wirelessly with Passport-img_20150107_213301_edit_edit.png

Device on the other side (Bluetooth receiver) is showing aptX codex in use...

However, if you have option to use WiFi and DLNA receiver, I strongly recommend that. Quality difference is more that noticeable...unless you invest a lot of money in the really good BT aptX receiver. Spending 30 $ for RaspberryPi is much better investment...

It is also worth noting that any music streaming (unless you are using FM radio like in 1990's) will send digital stream which will be converted to analog at the receiver side...

primusd likes this.
    01-07-15 04:45 AM

For the Z10/Q10 - up until 10.2.1, the specs only indicated "Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy (LE)", but post 10.2.1 this changed to "Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy (LE) with aptX™ enabled". The official spec page for the Passport currently says only : "Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy (LE)"...

Thanks!
    You can confirm by looking in your settings under Bluetooth. It shows aptX functionality there.

Screenshot from passport:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150107_213301_edit_edit.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	325831

Device on the other side (Bluetooth receiver) is showing aptX codex in use...

However, if you have option to use WiFi and DLNA receiver, I strongly recommend that. Quality difference is more that noticeable...unless you invest a lot of money in the really good BT aptX receiver. Spending 30 $ for RaspberryPi is much better investment...

It is also worth noting that any music streaming (unless you are using FM radio like in 1990's) will send digital stream which will be converted to analog at the receiver side...

primusd likes this.
    01-07-15 09:09 AM