I've been having trouble with notifications recently. I posted on here of the notification LED flashing green and not being able to turn it off (that mystery problem seems to have gone away for now). Well now I've got another problem. I've set one of my apps i.e. text messages to flash blue whilst all other apps are red. Then I noticed that yes the blue would flash upon receiving a text but it would eventually disappear and I'd be left with just a red flash as opposed to an alternate blue-red flash, all this without me turning on or picking up the phone.

Now what I've realised is that my notifications are simply timing out blue and red (I usually get a lot more reds)!!

What on earth is going on?
    07-13-15 08:21 AM
    That's how they work, they don't flash forever. I'm not sure how long they do flash for.
    07-13-15 08:39 AM
    I've been having trouble with notifications recently. I posted on here of the notification LED flashing green and not being able to turn it off (that mystery problem seems to have gone away for now). Well now I've got another problem. I've set one of my apps i.e. text messages to flash blue whilst all other apps are red. Then I noticed that yes the blue would flash upon receiving a text but it would eventually disappear and I'd be left with just a red flash as opposed to an alternate blue-red flash, all this without me turning on or picking up the phone.

Now what I've realised is that my notifications are simply timing out blue and red (I usually get a lot more reds)!!

What on earth is going on?
    Have you installed an LED app before?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" from Adam Savage
    07-13-15 08:39 AM
    That's how they work, they don't flash forever. I'm not sure how long they do flash for.
    They should continue to flash forever until the battery runs out otherwise what's the point of timing out LED notifications if it means you have to keep looking at your phone cause a led notification times out after 20 mins which is what's happening to me!

Have you installed an LED app before?
    NO, this is a new phone?!
    07-14-15 05:28 AM
    They should continue to flash forever until the battery runs out otherwise what's the point of timing out LED notifications if it means you have to keep looking at your phone cause a led notification times out after 20 mins which is what's happening to me!

NO, this is a new phone?!
    The vast majority of users check their phones fairly often enough to not warrant a blinking LED that doesn't time out. The longer the LED blinks the more battery it will use, although minuscule it would eventually help drain the battery faster than normal; this is why it times out.

I can not agree with you when you say it "should" blink forever, this is more of a preference issue. There should be an option for the very few people like yourself that want a never ending blinking LED if you don't check your phone regularly.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-14-15 01:49 PM
    Indeed... after a while the blinking stops.

I notice something else... BBM flash.. all the normal contacts have a blue led, I turned off the notification on groups.. But when i'm bbm someone from my contacts.. and someone on a group left a message... the led turns on red.. strange.. it doesn't bother me.. But strange..

Posted via my awesome Classic
    07-14-15 02:08 PM
    I've set mine to flash pink for bbm (girlfriend) green for whatsapp dark blue for facebook white for email yellow for text and red for missed calls and I've not noticed it stop flashing, I've had times where I've left my phone for a while and it's had multiple messages from various accounts and it'll flash one colour after the other until I open them.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 03:08 PM
    For a while now, I believe since before BB10, the flashing LED would time out after approximately 15 mins. Not sure if you can set it for longer as I've never played around with the LED notifications other than "ON/OFF" lol I haven't even changed the colours of them.
    07-14-15 03:13 PM
    Bring this thread back up to see if there is an App or Hack to keep the LED flashing for an extended period.

Today I missed an important text message and did not respond for nearly five hours. I kept glancing at the phone but no flashing LED so I kept going along with my life.

I work in an environment that can be pretty noisy so I don't always hear the alerts. I usually try to prop my phone up where I can see it but I move around quite a bit and have to focus on my task for 1-2 hours at a time. Because I work with my hands I'm not always connected to my phone nor can I be.

As a result of my way of life, I can miss the flashing light since it times out after a few minutes. It would be really helpful (for me) if the flash could be extended.

Are there any Apps or Hacks out there that can extend the LED flash time? Or is this a matter of the BlackBerry training me?
    11-25-15 08:19 PM
    Bring this thread back up to see if there is an App or Hack to keep the LED flashing for an extended period.

Today I missed an important text message and did not respond for nearly five hours. I kept glancing at the phone but no flashing LED so I kept going along with my life.

I work in an environment that can be pretty noisy so I don't always hear the alerts. I usually try to prop my phone up where I can see it but I move around quite a bit and have to focus on my task for 1-2 hours at a time. Because I work with my hands I'm not always connected to my phone nor can I be.

As a result of my way of life, I can miss the flashing light since it times out after a few minutes. It would be really helpful (for me) if the flash could be extended.

Are there any Apps or Hacks out there that can extend the LED flash time? Or is this a matter of the BlackBerry training me?
    BeBuzz Pro in BlackBerry world, very good app. All kinds of options, include led timeout settings. It's currently $3.99 but they do have sales sometimes I believe.

Posted via CB10
    JamesW_UK likes this.
    11-25-15 11:10 PM
    I like that BlackBerry give you LED notifications for 15 minutes, then stops. I wish my Note 5 did the same. It will keep going until you check your messages...
    11-26-15 06:13 AM
    Thanks Peeknflow!
    12-01-15 08:14 PM
    Hi all,

I'm also in the apparent minority here as I was surprised to find my new Z10 times out its LED notifications after just a few minutes (certainly for text messages which is what I really need a longer flash for). With a young child to look after, I may leave my phone downstairs and pop upstairs for 10 minutes, not hear the audio SMS tone, and then "miss" the 3 min. flash window.

I really don't want to start having to keep physically checking the phone every time I leave the room and come back, and end up being one of those people you see who just have to pick up and check their phone every few moments no matter what they are doing; watching TV, at the cinema / movie theater, even driving along the motorway at 90 mph... in fact, I saw a person drive through a red light recently because they were using / checking their mobile in the car. I'm not holier than thou though and I admit to often using mine in the car too, but in situations that are less risky... well, as less risky as they appear me anyway, like queuing in slow moving or stationery traffic. I can't justify that though, as any "using your phone in a car"-situation carries an element of risk.

Even carrying it with me, profile set to full volume, max. five vibrates, and Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" as a long SMS tone, I can still miss it in noisy environments and suddenly "realise" that the faint music I can hear is my Z10. And no, I don't want to start holding it in my hand all the time either.

Don't laugh, but one of the reasons I held onto my Nokia 3109 classic for so long, up until last month, was it's ability to flash the display for SMS / missed calls and the like indefinitely. Plus, when a message came in, it would vibrate indefinitely too. All this meant I could catch missed messages and calls much more easily. Not going to suit everyone, but for me it worked perfectly. And you could turn that functionality on and off.

I know the pros and cons of having every conceivable option on a mobile device / OS, but I do get frustrated when something as simple as this (to me) is "missing" on the "latest" platform. Who decided that the flash should only last for 3 minutes, for example? Why not 1 minute or 5 minutes or 50 minutes?

But thank you peeknflow for the heads-up on BeBuzz Pro. Bebuzz 10 Pro supports the Z10 and is on-sale right now for �2.50. Have bought it and it works great for my requirements.

Perhaps I'm just getting old. To paraphrase The Simpsons episode "Homerpalooza", Middle-aged Grampa: "I used to be with it when it came to mobile 'phones, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it*, and what's *it* seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you... I mean.. the Internet on a Phone?! What use is that? You can just wait until Monday and you get back to work to go on-line"

;-)

Regards

James
    12-24-15 11:39 AM
    Hi all,

I'm also in the apparent minority here as I was surprised to find my new Z10 times out its LED notifications after just a few minutes (certainly for text messages which is what I really need a longer flash for). With a young child to look after, I may leave my phone downstairs and pop upstairs for 10 minutes, not hear the audio SMS tone, and then "miss" the 3 min. flash window.

I really don't want to start having to keep physically checking the phone every time I leave the room and come back, and end up being one of those people you see who just have to pick up and check their phone every few moments no matter what they are doing; watching TV, at the cinema / movie theater, even driving along the motorway at 90 mph... in fact, I saw a person drive through a red light recently because they were using / checking their mobile in the car. I'm not holier than thou though and I admit to often using mine in the car too, but in situations that are less risky... well, as less risky as they appear me anyway, like queuing in slow moving or stationery traffic. I can't justify that though, as any "using your phone in a car"-situation carries an element of risk.

Even carrying it with me, profile set to full volume, max. five vibrates, and Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" as a long SMS tone, I can still miss it in noisy environments and suddenly "realise" that the faint music I can hear is my Z10. And no, I don't want to start holding it in my hand all the time either.

Don't laugh, but one of the reasons I held onto my Nokia 3109 classic for so long, up until last month, was it's ability to flash the display for SMS / missed calls and the like indefinitely. Plus, when a message came in, it would vibrate indefinitely too. All this meant I could catch missed messages and calls much more easily. Not going to suit everyone, but for me it worked perfectly. And you could turn that functionality on and off.

I know the pros and cons of having every conceivable option on a mobile device / OS, but I do get frustrated when something as simple as this (to me) is "missing" on the "latest" platform. Who decided that the flash should only last for 3 minutes, for example? Why not 1 minute or 5 minutes or 50 minutes?

But thank you peeknflow for the heads-up on BeBuzz Pro. Bebuzz 10 Pro supports the Z10 and is on-sale right now for �2.50. Have bought it and it works great for my requirements.

Perhaps I'm just getting old. To paraphrase The Simpsons episode "Homerpalooza", Middle-aged Grampa: "I used to be with it when it came to mobile 'phones, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it*, and what's *it* seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you... I mean.. the Internet on a Phone?! What use is that? You can just wait until Monday and you get back to work to go on-line"

;-)

Regards

James
    No same here myn times out also. I don't remember it always being this way. And I can't find a way to change it.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-15 03:50 PM
    No same here myn times out also. I don't remember it always being this way. And I can't find a way to change it.

Posted via CB10
    Hi Skidoo583,

Yes, it certainly appears that in the latest version of OS 10.3.x there's no way to do it natively.. you need to install a 3rd-party app. such as "Bebuzz 10 Pro" to get this functionality AFAICT. I don't have the access to nor knowledge to know if this was the case in OS' up to 7.1 (the older "non-OS 10" devices and the way they showed / allowed you to customise the LED flashes).. I'm very much an old Nokia boy (FBUS leads, anyone? ;-) ) who's trying to adopt this new darn-fangled Black-en-berry techen-on-ology, Consarn it! ;-)

If this function was only lost in a recent OS 10 update, perhaps you can roll back to an earlier OS 10.2.x version that had the functionality? If you do a forum search for the thread "Downgrade from 10.3 to 10.2?", there's some documentation there. Looks like it's only possible if you haven't upgraded to the latest 10.3.x OS

Anyone with more experience / access to some older devices willing to confirm?

Regards

JKW
    12-25-15 06:58 AM

Powertools works great for me. I have had issues with BeBuzz.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-15 07:52 AM
    Hi beamolite, thanks for taking the time to post that recommendation.

Would you mind telling me / us what the issues were? Ironically, I stumbled across this thread; "LED notification apps compared - BeBuzz, HUB++, Powertools, Watcher" today, dating from the middle of last year, and which reviews BeBuzz 10 Pro, HUB++, Watcher and Powertools side-by-side. Powertools does look like it has a lot of useful features. The other two apps mentioned are still up and available on Blackberry World, with the article links to them working.

I only ask about the issues with BeBuzz as I noticed some slow-down / "hanging" on my Z10 which is new to me, and BeBuzz was the last app to be installed. I've not bothered to start troubleshooting yet (does it go away when app uninstalled, is it running in the background and spiking the CPU at times etc.), but just curious if that was your issue too?

Regards

James
    12-27-15 07:54 AM