You do know what Android is, right? It's an open source platform--not a product. And as such, they're ALL modified, each and every one of them out there.

BB modifying it to their specs is no different than NSA modifying it to their specs.
    Surely! And certainly the data security can not be at an acceptable level for sure.... But this is not enough, because there is to consider the question of marketing and lobbying ... I know android very well having three smartphones with that OS ... if you have not noticed, anything that it gives you in terms of usability and applications it take back from you in terms of privacy and respect for your data .... forcing you, like it or not, to have everything in its management .... Wake up friends wake up! BlackBerry itself has often made it clear that his version of Android has not reached the levels of security of his own os10 .....

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 05:44 PM
    Holy change of attitude / approach batman!

But good for you sir... at the end, passport is / was such a fine piece of device but there is life after it... I hope when you get the KEYone you feel yourself right at home with it... good luck!

I too will be leaving BB10 with the KEYONE. I've had a lot time to digest the recent meetup in NYC. The conclusion...the positives way outnumber the negatives. I'm all in now. Going to order at launch. Not going to worry about carrier support. Want updates directly from BlackBerry. I'll keep my passport for nostalgia sake...at least for now. Yeah. Glad that's off my chest

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf and jakie55 like this.
    03-26-17 05:48 PM
    Surely! And certainly the data security can not be at an acceptable level for sure.... But this is not enough, because there is to consider the question of marketing and lobbying ... I know android very well having three smartphones with that OS ... if you have not noticed, anything that it gives you in terms of usability and applications it take back from you in terms of privacy and respect for your data .... forcing you, like it or not, to have everything in its management .... Wake up friends wake up! BlackBerry itself has often made it clear that his version of Android has not reached the levels of security of his own os10 .....

Posted via CB10
    Of course. That remains inherently understood.

Life is nothing but tradeoffs. You can have the most secure computer in the world, or...you can have a computer that's useful to you.

Find your choice somewhere in the middle. You trade off some things in order to get others.

Now consider that one way for Android to gain security is to have BB be successful with it, and be a leader in encouraging security as Android develops down the road. If anyone has the standing to talk about what's needed for Android to be secure, it's the people who created BB10 (and 7, and BES, and...).
    03-26-17 05:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    John Chen has mentioned Android N is on par with base BB10 and even Android 6 comes pretty close. Both far exceed any BB10 device that's using Android apps because they have granular permission controls for all apps whereas BB10 can only affect control on BB10 apps.

Leaving apps out of the equation pretty much ends the argument as the Android OS can be developed without Google, and the software doesn't need Google Play Services if the developer works for or is contracted with the company that deploys the devices.
    03-26-17 05:59 PM
    Of course. That remains inherently understood.

Life is nothing but tradeoffs. You can have the most secure computer in the world, or...you can have a computer that's useful to you.

Find your choice somewhere in the middle. You trade off some things in order to get others.

Now consider that one way for Android to gain security is to have BB be successful with it, and be a leader in encouraging security as Android develops down the road. If anyone has the standing to talk about what's needed for Android to be secure, it's the people who created BB10 (and 7, and BES, and...).
    MAY BE....BUT NOT YET.......

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 06:00 PM
    MAY BE....BUT NOT YET.......

Posted via CB10
    Patience, my friend. Everything is a process. These things don't happen instantly.

I'm not concerned with "not yet". I would be more concerned with "we're not interested".

I'll say it again: having BB on board with Android can only help the cause.

Patience.
    03-26-17 06:04 PM
    Just bought a passport as the Dtek60 virtual keyboard is driving me nuts. Anyone have an idea when Keyone is coming to USA?
    03-26-17 06:32 PM
    BlackBerry KEYone

April seems to be the best bet. That's as close as we've gotten.

But we're in the last week of March, so...
    03-26-17 06:41 PM
    I can't wait for the KeyOne. I don't know if I will be buying launch day, as i normally give it a few months for bugs and quality issues to iron themselves out with production runs.

I have put away my BB10 phones in favor of the Priv for the sole reason of getting used to BerryDroid. Definitely a work in progress.
    03-26-17 06:46 PM
    I was going to get the priv.....but with potentially a week away before release......i just want a good physical keyboard again
    03-26-17 06:49 PM
    Patience, my friend. Everything is a process. These things don't happen instantly.

I'm not concerned with "not yet". I would be more concerned with "we're not interested".

I'll say it again: having BB on board with Android can only help the cause.

Patience.
    Ok I can agree with you on this point ....

(but one thing I can not digest : a serious company does not deny its own creation jumping from the unique qualities to mass mediocrity .... proving not to believe in his own product and denying it at the first difficulty ...
    Many companies who, against all odds, have believed in their own product till the end, have won ... and those who have lost, have done it with honor, leaving a great memory .... we know that the business has nothing to do with honor .... but at least a semblance of dignity....)

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 07:09 PM
    a serious company does not deny its own creation jumping from the unique qualities to mass mediocrity .... proving not to believe in his own product and at the first difficulty denying it...
    Many companies who, against all odds, have believed in their product till the end, have won ... and those who have lost, have at least done it with honor, leaving a great memory .... we know that the business has nothing to do with honor .... but at least a semblance of dignity....

Posted via CB10
    A serious company wanting to be in existence in order to further its goals will take drastic steps to ensure their continued existence--even if some of those steps appear to be backwards.

Adopting Android looks like a backward step, but it gave them the ability to stay in business and move forward to their goals.

They could have stayed with BB10, but that going to be a guaranteed failure. And Crackberry would be a memorial room and a graveyard instead of an active place.

Sometimes you find that you took a wrong turn, and you have to backtrack to get on the right track. That's not a sign of failure. It's a sign of recovery.

Blindly moving forward and launching your car off the torn-down bridge? That's failure.

BB is a serious company. Welcome to technology. Yes, it was forced to deny its own creation; that's how the tech world goes. As I said before, how's your Betamax collection holding up? Played any HD-DVDs lately? How's that Commodore 64 working for you?

Just how hard did you want them to "believe" in BB10, anyway? What population of users do you think was sufficient for them to soldier on, blindly, with BB10? 100? 1000? 10,000? How many BB10 users were still out there?

Whatever those numbers, BB knew. As Ron White said when he got thrown out of the bar, "I didn't know how many of them it would take...but I knew how many they had." BB knew how many active BB10 users they had, and they knew EXACTLY what the financials showed. They knew failure was imminent, no matter what that number of active BB10 users was.

When you are in possession of the cold hard facts, you do things that might seem mysterious to others.

But simply knowing they were in possession of those facts, and knowing what they did about it, should clue you in as to what those facts were.

What did you want BB to do? Keep developing BB10 no matter what?????

Are you in denial that BB had facts in their possession that you know nothing about? Are you in denial about what those facts clearly said?

How's that Betamax working for you? It was, after all, the superior format for recording onto tape.
    03-26-17 07:27 PM
    BB10 did not need more development. It only needed a follow up to the Z30. It would have sold more than all the DTEKs combined. And without the need for the software investment that so far has impressed about nobody.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 07:52 PM
    Is this Adam guy joking? The passport sold out the first couple of months and 200000 units were shipped. This means blackberry now had an idea of what people wanted. The sad part is the realization of the idea is the keyone, built like a silver passport. There was no good marketing for the passport and no follow up. They let bought by Apple media outlets make their decisions for them rather than focus on their market base which they still had. Good luck with Android.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-26-17 08:20 PM
    BB10 did not need more development. It only needed a follow up to the Z30. It would have sold more than all the DTEKs combined. And without the need for the software investment that so far has impressed about nobody.

Posted via CB10
    Unless they release literally the same Z30 parts in a different shell then it'll need development.
    03-26-17 08:25 PM
    Pst...

The OP already stated they're buying a KEYone. Y'all may convince a few BB10 hangers on to "never leave" for now, but in the grand scheme of things, there are few left all together. Of those, most are trying like heck to keep their beloved phones providing them that which they want/need, and it's already coming from the Google.

It doesn't matter why BB10 failed, only that it did. It does matter that BlackBerry doesn't fail, or none of your BB10 phones would function. Stop hoping GooBerry is a failure, because it surely will spell your own.
    03-26-17 09:10 PM
    Is this Adam guy joking?
    Dead serious.

They knew how many customers and active users they had.

They knew what they needed.

I was being facetious about the 100 or 1000 users--but you get my point. BB made it clear, there was simply no continuing the BB10 business and staying in business.

Denial is not a river in Egypt.
    03-26-17 09:26 PM
    Well, to borrow a religious phrase, "as for me and my house, we'll be on BB10".

Keep your passport in spanky new condition so I can buy it should anything break on mine.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 09:30 PM
    Well, to borrow a religious phrase, "as for me and my house, we'll be on BB10".

Keep your passport in spanky new condition so I can buy it should anything break on mine.

Posted via CB10
    You should have no problem buying Passports in pristine condition, for years to come.
    03-26-17 09:48 PM
    Please allow me to repeat what I said:

You do know what Android is, right? It's an open source platform--not a product. And as such, they're ALL modified, each and every one of them out there.

BB modifying it to their specs is no different than NSA modifying it to their specs.

Read that again. Slowly, this time.

Now tell me what "it" refers to in that second sentence.

NSA is not using hardware designed and assembled in China, like BlackBerry does.

You are not answering my question.

Do you have a link that mentions BlackBerry selling BlackBerry android phones to a 5-eye government agency? Even modified ones?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 09:49 PM
    How's that Commodore 64 working for you?
    Commodore 64? Totally gave that up finally for an Amiga! No looking back now. Can't believe I waited so long these graphics rock!

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 and Adam Frix like this.
    03-26-17 11:21 PM
    I will wait for the KEYone to drop the price a little and hopefully purchase one as well as the DTEK60! Btw I'd still rock the pp se!
    03-26-17 11:31 PM
  23. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    I still using PP SE... wait blackberry 10 update again to ART 5 LoL

 BlackBerry Passport SE SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2205
    03-27-17 02:19 AM
    I, for one, remember the delays in launching the BB10 experiment. There were those who said RIM should have utilized Android back then, and we all gasped. Fact is..... they were right. What might have been if the product launched two years earlier, But it didn't.

Do any of you remember when Apple left the PowerPC chip to use the Intel chip? Companies move and change to remain in business. Not out of a sense of loyalty to fans.
    Adam Frix and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-27-17 02:28 AM
    When Chen came onboard there were 80 million users on blackberry between OS7 and BB 10. He didn't bring the strengths of OS7 to BB10. Left a lot of users behind. BB10 has no services like OS7 did, nor does it have an ecosystem lik OS7 did. Along with no marketing and advertising. How are you going to attract customers? There were no BB10 commercials

Posted via CB10
    blackbp likes this.
    03-27-17 03:17 AM
174 ... 23456 ...