I recently moved from PayPal here to square for card payments in my business. So far I like it for many reasons but one of the main ones is the the card reader works without a hitch on my passport. My question is this, each time I take a sale it says I am using an old version of the app and I should upgrade. I have run into Trouble with other app upgrades recently, and was wondering if anyone else was using the latest version of the Square app with their passport or other BB10 phone?

Posted via CB10
    02-04-18 09:58 PM
    I recently moved from PayPal here to square for card payments in my business. So far I like it for many reasons but one of the main ones is the the card reader works without a hitch on my passport. My question is this, each time I take a sale it says I am using an old version of the app and I should upgrade. I have run into Trouble with other app upgrades recently, and was wondering if anyone else was using the latest version of the Square app with their passport or other BB10 phone?

Posted via CB10
    If you're getting the app to function. Leave it alone. Keep using it until it forces you to upgrade.
    02-05-18 05:09 AM
    Chuck is right. Don't touch yout Android software if they work.

Software companies are upgrading their offerings to the latest Android framework as Jelly Bean (the version matching the passport android support) is fading away. These updates shows up as available but there's no guarantee that the update will work if the app is designed for marshmallow or nougat and/or requires google play services.

The hard truth though, is that there are still a lot jellybean-based devices out there, and they just can't become unsupported overnight. So as long as it works...

Posted via CB10
    02-05-18 07:05 AM
    Thanks or the replys, and that is what I thought. For the last few months I have not been upgrading apps just for that reason. The new versions of PayPal Here didn't work and I went out and got an old APK of the previous version and the last upgrade of my Audible app worked but is slow and I had to move my books from the card to the main device to get them working so I have been leaving things alone.
    My worry with Square is that the version I have will stop working when I need to accept a payment with no other option available.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-18 10:59 AM
    Thanks or the replys, and that is what I thought. For the last few months I have not been upgrading apps just for that reason. The new versions of PayPal Here didn't work and I went out and got an old APK of the previous version and the last upgrade of my Audible app worked but is slow and I had to move my books from the card to the main device to get them working so I have been leaving things alone.
    My worry with Square is that the version I have will stop working when I need to accept a payment with no other option available.

Posted via CB10
    I was having issues couple of years ago with other apps. I couldn't afford to lose access. I bought a cheap Android phone that I could swap around my SIM card.

Android phone used a smaller card so I swapped number over to cheap device and bought SIM adapter so I could use the new sim in my old BB10 phone at time. After short time I just turned on mobile hot spot on my BB and connected Android via wifi to run cards.

Eventually I bought a BBAndroid phone and it didn't matter anymore.
    02-05-18 11:27 AM