I have been trying to get my hands on a BB Passport since it was released last year so I can see what it feels like in the hand before I part with my money and buy the phone but it has been near impossible. The only carrier to carry the Passport in Australia is Optus and even they are pulling out of selling the device because Blackberry has been a right royal pain to deal with. None of the stores have a demo device you can check out and unless you commit to buy the device, they will not order the device for you.

Here's what confuses me ... Blackberry are behind the 8 ball in trying to salvage some degree of company pride and needing to rebuild their business. It would make sense to make these devices more available to more carriers so that people like me can buy them and "fly the BB Flag" but on the contrary ... BB are playing hard to get and making it had for people like me to stay with the brand. Poor, poor marketing. I am very dissapointed in the way the product has been launched in Australia.
    01-11-15 03:51 PM
    Yeah BlackBerry Australia are pretty hopeless.
    Your best bet is to order one off Amazon. I don't think there'd be anywhere to demo one in Australia.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 03:57 PM
    If you happens to visit sunny Cairns,
    I can demo you my one...
    Just shout me a coffee ;-)

You'd just have to endure "Prem WatsApp" while you check it out... :-)

  A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...  
    01-11-15 04:01 PM
    I got mine from Personal Digital, before it came available on Optus. I did take a chance though, it totally paid off though.

Where are you in Australia, I'm in Sydney, so if you really wanted you can try out my device to see how it feels.

I think the market in Australia is very small for BlackBerry, so it doesn't make so much sense to market to the "minority". On the contrary if they don't market then how would people know about their new devices. I kinda of like having a device that's hard to get, makes it kind of exclusive.

Optus stores however can order the device from their inventory, most staff just don't know it (or don't care to inform themselves).

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 04:02 PM
    I know this is not comforting, but even in Canada there is little support.
    However, there are carriers here now carrying it but they do not show it off. Just buy it off Amazon. It's a great phone. If you held out so long for a Passport, you will most certainly enjoy it. Hardware wise, maybe only the Samsung note4 is better, but it lacks the security,hub, touch keyboard and wide screen (important for document editing and writing, and websurfing) unique to the Passport.
    01-11-15 04:06 PM
    Thanks Prem. I'm in Brisbane so maybe a road trip is in order
    01-11-15 04:57 PM
    Hey Mikey, I'm in Brisbane. From what I can gather, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy one sight unseen. Many thanks for the kind offer to let me try yours out. Definitely something to consider.

regards
    Bops
    01-11-15 04:59 PM
    I'm in the States and it's pretty barren and frustraing here as well. I can only imagine what it's like 10,000 miles away.

I had the same dilemma. Bought my Passport sight unseen. I have not regretted it. Fantastic device! Might take a little getting used to at first but it grows on one quickly.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 05:39 PM
    I took the punt via an Optus store. I haven't regretted it. The Passport is a great device.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 06:59 PM
    Thanks Prem. I'm in Brisbane so maybe a road trip is in order
    Where abouts? I'm western suburbs I bought sight unseen from Amazon
    01-11-15 11:54 PM
    Ah, I was thinking that you meant the hassle of after sale support.
    But anyway, is Blackberry known for support? We've got the local official distributor here but I bought my Passport from Amazon through a forwarder and the experience was way better.
    01-12-15 02:03 AM
    I know this is not comforting, but even in Canada there is little support.
    However, there are carriers here now carrying it but they do not show it off. Just buy it off Amazon. It's a great phone. If you held out so long for a Passport, you will most certainly enjoy it. Hardware wise, maybe only the Samsung note4 is better, but it lacks the security,hub, touch keyboard and wide screen (important for document editing and writing, and websurfing) unique to the Passport.
    All the major carriers in the GTA are carrying the Passport and I find the reception of the staff took a complete 180 from a year or so ago. They have banners on their doors/windows promoting the Classic everywhere really. Some of the staff at an east end Rogers are actually using the passport and classic too which is very refreshing.
    Call into Rogers phone line and they actually have a BlackBerry section there also unlike a year or two ago when everything was catering to iPhones only. Nice turnaround in support and knowledge and it would be even better if Prem and Co. can have this momentum and support reach the land down under.

NewsFlash! The highest rankin g American citizen is using a BlackBerry
    01-12-15 05:59 AM
    Went to the Telstra flagship store to ask if they were still gonna sell the Passport, and the manager looked me right in the face and said "We're not selling anymore BlackBerry's because they don't exist anymore, someone is doing them, but they don't exist, so no." and walked off.
    This was said to me while I was standing there with a new-ish passport in my pocket. I said to the shop attendant, "tell your manager she's wrong", as I showed her my passport, and told her the classic just came out too, so they very much do exist, then left.

9000 -> 9700 -> 9800 -> Playbook -> 9900 -> Z10 -> Q10 -> Passport
    01-19-15 02:10 AM
    Went to the Telstra flagship store to ask if they were still gonna sell the Passport, and the manager looked me right in the face and said "We're not selling anymore BlackBerry's because they don't exist anymore, someone is doing them, but they don't exist, so no." and walked off.
    This was said to me while I was standing there with a new-ish passport in my pocket. I said to the shop attendant, "tell your manager she's wrong", as I showed her my passport, and told her the classic just came out too, so they very much do exist, then left.

9000 -> 9700 -> 9800 -> Playbook -> 9900 -> Z10 -> Q10 -> Passport
    Consider telstra staff to be the bottom 1% of the bottom 1% of the world.
    01-19-15 02:23 AM
    I had a similar frosty reception at the flagship Telstra store here in Perth. Given the news reports that Telstra would be stocking the classic, I tried to hunt down some stock information but was told that Telstra no longer support Blackberry, and will not be stocking any current or future models.

I walked down to the Optus store, and picked up a brand new passport instead. It was a bit of a gamble, given that there were no demo handsets and they were not allowed to show me one as they had no unsealed boxes. I'm happy with it so far... but will definitely check out the classic if / when it comes into stock.
    01-19-15 08:03 PM
    The Telstra rumours are just that...rumours. It is more likely that they may release the Classic if 10.3.1 gets to them. Store managers seem quite biased depending on their own preferences and some are quite uninformed. I'm not convinced that even Optus will be getting the device in, although I will say that if Optus stock the Classic it had better be more prominent than the Passport. While many of us were able to pick up a Passport from Optus it was a less than desirable way to do it.
    01-19-15 09:52 PM
    I picked up my Passport in early November, through Personal Digital. I understand your frustration, I went to several Telstra shops in the early days and got the same response; Blackberrys are not being sold in Australia anymore. Quite disappointing, and poor form by Blackberry to not promote their devices in this country.
    I am in Hobart Tas, and I get some really funny looks when out on the town with the Passport. It is the best phone I have ever had, and its definitely a head turner!
    01-19-15 10:33 PM
    People need to come to the realisation that the Australian market is a drop in the ocean for most hardware vendors. When I got my Passport, my expectation of support from Blackberry was very low.

If I was Blackberry and I had a look at the Oz market and the Indian market, I know where I would be focusing my resources.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 11:51 PM