Not to be confused with the BlackBerry Paperweight TM
    LOL. I have one of those, but it's from 2004. I went through three scroll wheels on that in my first year on the job as a COO for a startup, processing over a million emails in 13 months!

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    12-07-19 02:17 PM
    Unavailable for this device error

Classic is magic!
    That's probably the source of some of the confusion. When the Amazon Appstore became integrated with BB10 (10.2?), they started prioritizing Amazon's Android apps over their BB10 ones.

Maybe because I downloaded mine prior to that integration I still have access?

12-07-19 02:20 PM
    That's probably the source of some of the confusion. When the Amazon Appstore became integrated with BB10 (10.2?), they started prioritizing Amazon's Android apps over their BB10 ones.

Hmm, I'm unlucky then

Classic is magic!
    12-07-19 02:21 PM

The Kindle app is not supported on the Classic or the Passport and that's why it doesn't show up.
    12-07-19 02:27 PM
    But why would that be? The OS version? Screen aspect ratio?

12-07-19 02:28 PM
    Screen aspect ratio?
    Probably the aspect OR the app may have been abandoned before the Classic and Passport were available.
    12-07-19 02:30 PM
    Probably the aspect OR the app may have been abandoned before the Classic and Passport were available.
    Perhaps it's only available to BBID accounts who downloaded it before its abandonment? If that's the case, I would be able to load it on a Passport using my BBID.

I've restored and re-installed the app on my phone using a 10.3.3 autoloader, so that's not an issue.

12-07-19 02:34 PM
    Perhaps it's only available to BBID accounts who downloaded it before its abandonment? If that's the case, I would be able to load it on a Passport using my BBID.

I've restored and re-installed the app on my phone using a 10.3.3 autoloader, so that's not an issue.

The last version (2.0.0.1) was released in March 2013 and the Classic and Passport were released in December and September of 2014. My guess is that the writing was on the wall for the app sometime before then and work was just not done to work on those screens. Too much trouble. It's really amazing that it still works on a Z10 or Z30, Leap imo. Notice that it will work on the Leap (released April 2015), so it surely must be aspect related.
    12-07-19 02:41 PM
    The last version (2.0.0.1) was released in March 2013 and the Classic and Passport were released in December and September of 2014. My guess is that the writing was on the wall for the app sometime before then and work was just not done to work on those screens. Too much trouble. It's really amazing that it still works on a Z10 or Z30, Leap imo. Notice that it will work on the Leap (released April 2015), so it surely must be aspect related.
    I wonder if it works on the Q10, since it was still being actively developed when that device was released.

12-07-19 02:46 PM
    I also remember deciding NOT to replace it with the Amazon version.

12-07-19 02:47 PM
    I wonder if it works on the Q10
    "Supported devices" does not mention the Q10.
    12-07-19 02:48 PM
    "Supported devices" does not mention the Q10.
    Confirmed. When I try to open the link on my Q10, it says unavailable for this device.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-19 05:46 PM
    So, it sounds likely that the Kindle for BlackBerry 10 app was ported from Android and makes no accommodation for the PKB screen aspect ratios. If that's true, it should work on the Z30, which would prove it's not about the release date of the device.

12-07-19 05:53 PM
    The Kindle app is not supported on the Classic or the Passport and that's why it doesn't show up.
    I have it working on both Classic and Passport, it may be that I loaded it onto my Z10 and then restored it on to both of these devices using Link but I can confirm it works just fine on both.

Posted via CB10 using my OG Passport running 10.3.3.3216
    brookie229 likes this.
    12-08-19 04:48 AM
    So, it sounds likely that the Kindle for BlackBerry 10 app was ported from Android and makes no accommodation for the PKB screen aspect ratios. If that's true, it should work on the Z30, which would prove it's not about the release date of the device.

If it works on the Z30 it should work on the Classic as they use the same OS version.

I know for a fact it works as I have it working on my Classic but see my post above.

12-08-19 04:50 AM
    I got it completely now. Can anyone upload bar file so that I can install.

Classic is magic!
    12-08-19 05:46 AM
    I have it working on both Classic and Passport, it may be that I loaded it onto my Z10 and then restored it on to both of these devices using Link but I can confirm it works just fine on both.

The plot thickens. What we need is someone who has the app on one device to try downloading from BBW it to a Passport or classic to see if that works. If that's the case then it would suggest that the issue is whether the BBID is authorized to use the app.

I seem to remember a series of notifications encouraging me to update to the Android version after the Amazon Appstore was added to BB10. I had had a bad experience with the Amazon version of LastPass replacing, then breaking the BB10 version, so I never switched.

12-08-19 11:29 AM
    I got it completely now. Can anyone upload bar file so that I can install.

Classic is magic!
    That's not possible unless the developer makes it available.
    12-08-19 11:36 AM
    Incidentally, v4.15.0.46 from Yalp/Play Store works just fine.
    12-08-19 12:22 PM
    About time you coughed up the answer!
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    12-08-19 12:26 PM
    Thank you, will try

Classic is magic!
    12-08-19 12:49 PM
    Update on Android Kindle from YALP and Cobalt's Playstore installed on my Passport. Both versions will work, takes quite a while to load, but will load and run. Now for the downside, both versions caused the phone to run hot, quite hot! When I shutdown and cleared the app, phone still ran hot and battery drained much quicker! Had to uninstall and now, phone is back to normal operating Temps and battery performs as expected.

Posted via my Passport
    12-08-19 05:50 PM
    Update on Android Kindle from YALP and Cobalt's Playstore installed on my Passport. Both versions will work, takes quite a while to load, but will load and run. Now for the downside, both versions caused the phone to run hot, quite hot! When I shutdown and cleared the app, phone still ran hot and battery drained much quicker! Had to uninstall and now, phone is back to normal operating Temps and battery performs as expected.

Posted via my Passport
    They are the same version. Yalp is just another client for the Play Store. Using both is redundant.
    Last edited by conite; 12-08-19 at 10:44 PM.
    12-08-19 07:00 PM
    They are the same version. Yalp is just mother client for the Play Store. Using both is redundant.
    Loaded one at a time and unistalled the other. What I am stating is that both had the same effect. If they are the same, then the results reflect that.

Posted via my Passport
    12-08-19 09:32 PM
    Loaded one at a time and unistalled the other. What I am stating is that both had the same effect. If they are the same, then the results reflect that.

Posted via my Passport
    I've been reading from the Kindle for BB10 app on my Z10 and no heat or abnormal battery draw down so I guess it's another case of avoid power hungry android apps on a BB10 device. Even though the BB10 version of Amazon Kindle is android, it must be so old that it is devoid of the battery-sucking features of newer versions. Sometimes newer doesn't always mean better.
    12-08-19 10:33 PM
59 123