Hey guys, just wanted to share a couple pics showing how the Passport fits on the KIDIGI charging dock I ordered from eBay. It's pretty solid, has a good weight to it along with rubbery feet, so it definitely holds its own against the behemoth that is the Passport. Since its open at the sides, it obviously fits the wide Passport. In fact it even fits the Z30 sideways (although it looks a bit silly since the micro usb prong on the Z30 isn't centered). The base surrounding the male usb plug actually moves down about a 1/16 of an inch to allow for the prong to "reach in" through thick protective cases.

KiDiGi Desktop Dock Charger Cradle AC USB Wall Dock for Motorola Moto X | eBay

KIDIGI charging dock for Passport (pics)-img_20141003_202754_hdr.jpg

KIDIGI charging dock for Passport (pics)-img_20141003_202839.jpg

KIDIGI charging dock for Passport (pics)-img_20141003_202907.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 07:43 PM
    Thanks boss! Will buy once this order is honoured!

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    10-03-14 07:45 PM
    Looks like a good option, but one thing concerns me about it. I like the idea of a dual purpose stand and charging station a great deal, but ideally I would like to be able to have enough support behind the screen of the Passport so that while working at my desk, if the phone rings, or if I want to scroll around on webpages or other such things, I can just reach over and push on the buttons on the bottom or touch or swipe on the screen higher up, and have that support higher up to push against. The picture you provided appears to show only support on the back behind the keys themselves down low. Don't know if such a stand/charging station is available now or will come out for the Passport, but I'd be interested in it if it did. Other than that issue, what you show is a beautiful little item.
    10-03-14 07:53 PM
    That looks great! Thanks for sharing.
    10-03-14 07:57 PM
    Looks like a good option, but one thing concerns me about it. I like the idea of a dual purpose stand and charging station a great deal, but ideally I would like to be able to have enough support behind the screen of the Passport so that while working at my desk, if the phone rings, or if I want to scroll around on webpages or other such things, I can just reach over and push on the buttons on the bottom or touch or swipe on the screen higher up, and have that support higher up to push against. The picture you provided appears to show only support on the back behind the keys themselves down low. Don't know if such a stand/charging station is available now or will come out for the Passport, but I'd be interested in it if it did. Other than that issue, what you show is a beautiful little item.
    The dock + Passport combo is heavy enough to handle normal touch input at the top of the screen.

The more I look at it just staring at me at the perfect angle, the more I feel like I could get a blue tooth keyboard+mouse and use the thing like a computer monitor.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 and bungaboy like this.
    10-03-14 08:02 PM
    The dock + Passport combo is heavy enough to handle normal touch input at the top of the screen.

The more I look at it just staring at me at the perfect angle, the more I feel like I could get a blue tooth keyboard+mouse and use the thing like a computer monitor.

Posted via CB10
    Had to do it...

KIDIGI charging dock for Passport (pics)-img_20141003_211510_hdr_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 08:18 PM
    Good stuff! :-)
    10-03-14 09:37 PM
    Is the connector long enough to connect with the blackberry case?
    10-03-14 11:30 PM
    I do have a question for you. When I first got my BB Bold years ago, and the small little desk top docking/charging pod, it was great. I was warned at some point that constantly just putting the BB Bold into the pod to recharge meant that the battery would always be being topped off and never or rarely run fully down before recharging, and as a result the battery would over time lose its ability to utilize the full battery. In other words, I would over time get less and less battery life. I do believe I noticed this. I wonder if that is still a concern with new phones like the Passport, and if care still needs to be taken not to just constantly dock the Passport into the station, but to instead allow it to run down, and then get a full new charge as often as possible, and just use the docking/charging station, like the one you show here, when you actually need it. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
    10-03-14 11:44 PM
    Is the connector long enough to connect with the blackberry case?
    Do you mean the hard shell? I should be getting one delivered early next week so I'll check then,.. but I would imagine it will. I have a similarly-thick hard shell on my Z30 and it is able to reach in for a full connection without any issue.
    10-04-14 12:07 PM
    I do have a question for you. When I first got my BB Bold years ago, and the small little desk top docking/charging pod, it was great. I was warned at some point that constantly just putting the BB Bold into the pod to recharge meant that the battery would always be being topped off and never or rarely run fully down before recharging, and as a result the battery would over time lose its ability to utilize the full battery. In other words, I would over time get less and less battery life. I do believe I noticed this. I wonder if that is still a concern with new phones like the Passport, and if care still needs to be taken not to just constantly dock the Passport into the station, but to instead allow it to run down, and then get a full new charge as often as possible, and just use the docking/charging station, like the one you show here, when you actually need it. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
    Battery technology is really a bunch of voodoo to most. I would say that any type of usage will decrease the life of the battery over time. Newer batteries are definitely better at handling partial charges without significantly affecting their overall capacity (they are nothing like old Ni-Cads that really did require a full drain). As far as I'm concerned, a perfectly healthy battery does me no good if it's discharged when I need it. I always tend to charge my devices at night only mostly because it's the easiest to do,.. but if I know I'll be out or in an environment that I wont be able to find a charge easily, I'll top it off.

You also have to remember that with the massive Passport battery, you'll probably only get down to about 40-30% during normal days,.. but you obviously want to start the next day with a full charge so, one way or another, you'll be doing partial charges. I wouldn't worry about it.
    10-04-14 12:13 PM
    That's awesome

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 12:17 PM
    That's great! What about Slimport? Is it included? HDMI/DVI would be amazing as I have one spare display on my desk ;-).

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 12:22 PM
    That's a reasonable point. Here's a tangential question, with explanation first: One advantage of having a removable battery is for just such a situation. You can at least from time to time allow the one battery to fully discharge, and if you don't have time to fully recharge, say before the start of the day, just pop in a replacement battery that you keep handy. Another advantage is the main one I've taken advantage of with my old BB Bold, namely, when problems arise with the phone, more common after a few years passed, often just removing the battery then putting it back in resets the phone and gets things back on track. And of course there's keeping a second battery handy if you are traveling or on the road a lot and may not have access or time for a full recharge. There may be other advantages to a removable battery that I'm not aware of, but many people do seem to think it's important. The Passport does not have a replaceable battery. I am not sure how big a concern that should be. Maybe you, or others, can chime in on the issue? Thanks.
    global14u likes this.
    10-04-14 12:25 PM
    A specific question about the Kidigi charging dock/stand: From the pic it looks like the PP sits right down onto the charging plug for a recharge. On the one hand, maybe this will help hold it in place if you want to reach over at your desk and while it sits on the stand use the keys or the screen and it won't fall over. So on that issue, maybe I'm set. But here's the question: It looks like to use the stand, the PP will have to be plugged in. Is there some aspect of the stand that allows you to put the PP on it and use it without having the PP plugged in for recharging? Thanks.
    10-04-14 12:30 PM
    That's great! What about Slimport? Is it included? HDMI/DVI would be amazing as I have one spare display on my desk ;-).

Posted via CB10
    I don't have a slimport adapter yet, but I just tried hooking up a USB drive and it worked,.. which means the cradle ports pass through the micro usb data pins and not just the power pins. In theory slimport should work,.. but can't confirm.

KIDIGI charging dock for Passport (pics)-img_20141004_143705.jpg

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-04-14 01:39 PM
    That's a reasonable point. Here's a tangential question, with explanation first: One advantage of having a removable battery is for just such a situation. You can at least from time to time allow the one battery to fully discharge, and if you don't have time to fully recharge, say before the start of the day, just pop in a replacement battery that you keep handy. Another advantage is the main one I've taken advantage of with my old BB Bold, namely, when problems arise with the phone, more common after a few years passed, often just removing the battery then putting it back in resets the phone and gets things back on track. And of course there's keeping a second battery handy if you are traveling or on the road a lot and may not have access or time for a full recharge. There may be other advantages to a removable battery that I'm not aware of, but many people do seem to think it's important. The Passport does not have a replaceable battery. I am not sure how big a concern that should be. Maybe you, or others, can chime in on the issue? Thanks.
    Well the advantage of fully replacing a battery is definitely one that can't be argued against, but BlackBerry found that they can cram a larger battery when it is fully integrated. I do believe that they can be replaced by servicing the handset (not a normal operation). Luckily batteries seem to be getting better and better at their long term life. If you do notice significant capacity loss within the first year or two, it's more likely due to some errant program or other issue that has gathered up with time (which can be resolved with a factory restore, for example).

As for the all mighty "battery pulls" required on BBOS devices, there are a thing of the past. BB10 is a completely new beast that doesn't hang in the same way. However if you do find yourself with a "stuck" device... you can do a hard reset by holding the up and down volume keys simultaneously for about 10 seconds. This is as close as you'll get to a real battery pull.

As for a second battery, again... definitely a plus to a removable battery, but at the tradeoff of reduced capacity per battery. You can always get a battery bundle/pack that you can then hook up to the micro USB port to charge (not as elegant, but same result).

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 01:57 PM
    A specific question about the Kidigi charging dock/stand: From the pic it looks like the PP sits right down onto the charging plug for a recharge. On the one hand, maybe this will help hold it in place if you want to reach over at your desk and while it sits on the stand use the keys or the screen and it won't fall over. So on that issue, maybe I'm set. But here's the question: It looks like to use the stand, the PP will have to be plugged in. Is there some aspect of the stand that allows you to put the PP on it and use it without having the PP plugged in for recharging? Thanks.
    Well, you can disconnect the micro USB cable from the back of the cradle. However the Passport charging port itself would still have to make full contact with the cradle connector (although nothing would happen, obviously).

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 02:00 PM
    Thanks for the big reply about the removable battery issue, all good input. Another idea occurs to me as well. Since I do believe it is important to on some regular basis fully drain the battery and then fully recharge it, I could just definitely get the car charger, so that if I don't top it off the night before and start the day with a much lower than full charge, if during the day it runs out, or close to near out, I can at least begin a recharge while driving around. Not ideal, and may not work all the time, depending on my activities that day, but it does give me another option, and will work at least some of the time. As for the battery bundle/pack hooking up thru the USB, I didn't know that was an option, but I guess it makes sense that it would be. It's another expense, but if the issue becomes a problem, one that is nice to know exists. Thanks.
    10-04-14 02:11 PM
    Your idea about disconnecting the micro USB from the back of the device, but continuing to sit the PP's charging port onto the connector on the front so as to just use the device as a stand, it makes sense, but I am a bit concerned about somehow wearing out either the connector or the inside of the PP's port with such regular use. My old BB Bold just sat in its little charging pod/stand and the little metal tabs on either side, down low, just then touched the side of the pod, and the charging began, but there was no insertion of a connector into a port. And even then, after a few years of constant use, I found that the little tabs on the bottom sides of the Bold still wore out some and lost there surface material and would even begin to stick and lose the connection. I am concerned that with the actual insertion required of this device into the PP's port, the risk would be even greater, over time of course. Any thoughts on this? Solutions? As it is, I'm not likely going to rush out and get this particular device. It looks great, but I'll likely give it a few months and see what other charging docks/stands or other types of chargers become available. There's probably a non-charging stand out there, with an opening thru which a cable can go to plug into the port, but that won't require a recharge connection while using the stand unless I choose to do so. If there isn't one, there should be. In any case, thanks so much for the time to answer my questions.
    10-04-14 02:19 PM
    Since I do believe it is important to on some regular basis fully drain the battery and then fully recharge it [...]
    You believe in false things, battery makers suggests to avoid letting the battery reach charge level below 30%.
    homer1475 likes this.
    10-04-14 08:18 PM
    Slimport would be awesome you can hook it up to a kb, mouse and monitor!
    10-04-14 08:58 PM
    you might to explore this desk stand (elago P2 Stand)? I bought one from Amazon. Its not a charging station. Rather it is a sturdy stand.
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-04-14 09:14 PM
    Awesome!

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    10-04-14 09:44 PM
    I saw your reference, and just checked out the elago P2 Stand. It is great. I saw the white one, and would prefer black if I get a black PP, but I assume it comes in both colors. Either way, it's solid, sturdy, holds the phone at a great level, holds it in place so you can operate it by reaching across the desk and just pushing or swiping, confident there is support behind any part of it, and it is easy to plug a charging cable in or not. It's bigger than the other one that started this thread, and I won't be bringing it with me anywhere, but for keeping it at my desk, it looks great.
    10-04-14 10:48 PM
56 123