01-04-15 12:08 PM
69 123
tools
    Here in the Netherlands it was around 0 degrees Celsius and the Keyboard goes wild.

Scrolling is absolutely impossible going up and down like crazy, and when I type words will erase eventually since it's registering some kind of gestures.

Running: PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1016

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    12-28-14 12:53 PM
    I also have to heavily disagree with the statement that zero degree would be the bottom limit of operation. Seriously, then they should just sell it in countries where it's always mild. What should we do, buy a winter only phone? I never ever owned a single phone, and I owned a lot in the last 14 years, which simply acted up because temperatures dropped slightly below zero. Usually I don't even check the temperature operation range for a mobile phone. I fully understand they act up when we have a double digit number below zero, but on a light winter's day?
    Here's What Happens To Your iPhone In The Bitter Cold

When the temperature drops below freezing, iPhones can start malfunctioning: Your smartphone might not sense your touch, the battery dies faster and, if it's cold enough, the thing just shuts off.

On its website, Apple suggests that you only use your (4th generation or later) iPhone in environments between 32 and 95 F, since "low- or high-temperature conditions might temporarily shorten battery life or cause the device to alter its behavior to regulate its temperature."

If the temperature drops below 32, your best bet is keeping your phone turned off and stored somewhere warmer, Apple suggests. It'll probably still work though -- so you can take your chances. But when the temperature gets crazy low, falling below -4, Apple says to put it away. (You should also store it when the mercury tops 113 F.)
    12-28-14 02:01 PM
    Here in the Netherlands it was around 0 degrees Celsius and the Keyboard goes wild.

Scrolling is absolutely impossible going up and down like crazy, and when I type words will erase eventually since it's registering some kind of gestures.

Running: PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1016

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    If you're running 10.3.1, do you have the ability to turn off keyboard gestures? Not ideal, but at least it will allow you to continue using the keyboard until there is an OS update to ameliorate the issue.

Posted via PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on CB10!
    12-28-14 02:52 PM
    Confirm the issue. In Russia for 5-6 months a year this keyboard useless outside. Sh@t.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 02:55 PM
    Worth mentioning, at least for me like I've posted in the other thread a while ago that's very similar to this one;

I can only reproduce this if my hands have been outside for a while with the phone. If I keep them in my pockets and then only have them out when I actually use the phone, it works no problem, even in -26C weather we've had here in Ontario!

It just needs the heat from your hands, and when it's that cold, you really shouldn't be using your phone for more than bare minimum messaging/calling anyways!

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    12-28-14 04:35 PM
    Actually I've noticed this same behaviour recently. Jumpy cursor positions, odd responses in cold weather...

Not always, but certainly seems related to me using it in the cold!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 07:41 PM
    Actually I've noticed this same behaviour recently. Jumpy cursor positions, odd responses in cold weather...

Not always, but certainly seems related to me using it in the cold!

Posted via CB10
    Actually yes, I have noticed the jumpy cursor, and it drives me nuts, but it's not limited to outdoors in the cold for me, it's just about any time :\

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    12-28-14 08:41 PM
    I think its due to numbness of the fingers and how you press on the keyboard. Because we lose feelings in the fingers, we are not sure how hard we are really pressing or a little swipe by accident causes this to happen. It happened to me so I pay more attention to how I press down and so far so good. I wont use my Passport outside in really cold weather as thats just asking for frostbite

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    12-28-14 08:46 PM
    keyboard completely unusable in cold weather-img_20141228_153503.jpg

-16 here in Vancouver today. Out all day in it.

I've posted here before. I have a funny feeling that the problems you guys might be having is with moisture or water getting underneath the keyboard. That will def. mess it up. I think it's impressive that it's only messed up temporarily until it dries out again.

I take my PP running in the rain and I have this issue. It isn't crippling however.

I had it out in extreme (ish) cold today and had no trouble at all. No moisture under the keyboard.

I have noticed also, that if you're running one of the leaked OS's, the jumpy keyboard is issue on its own. A restart, though annoying, is a good fix.

Not sure if any of these variables match your conditions. But I'm pretty happy with the performance.

Not to mention that the battery is still a beastly all day work horse in that temp with the GPS running constantly and not shutting off the radio for periodic texting when the signals good.

Passport || Fido
    D3C0D3R and AdamThatsIt like this.
    12-28-14 11:47 PM
    I've had this happen in windy weather. It wasn't particularly cold.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 04:32 PM
    Windy weather it is. Tried it a lot today, it was the first really cold day since I got the Passport. No issues at all at -15 but when the wind started blowing the keyboard went nuts.

Sent via my square wonder thingie
    12-29-14 05:37 PM
    Yeap, probably mix of wind and bite of cold make kboard go crazy.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 07:14 AM
    I took this photo this morning and sent it by email without any problems... My PP worked better than my fingers !

keyboard completely unusable in cold weather-img_20141230_074047_edit_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 07:56 AM
    It is not w 15F in KC in the US. I left my Passport inside my car and went in for swimming. An hour later, I took it out and replying to this post with zero issue. I don't think it has to do with subzero temperature only from my experience.

I ran into this issue for a brief period when I was in Chennai at 32C with high humidity. It happened when I stepped out of AC room to outside to catch my cab.

Posted via CB10 with BlackBerry PP
    12-30-14 08:39 PM
    Water isn't good for electrical things. Includes sweaty palms.

Passport || Fido
    12-31-14 04:16 AM
    -8 here these days, no trouble at all with my Passport, the keyboard works fine: warm Passport and warm hands, contact with cold air only when I need the phone and I haven't experienced none of the issues reported here.
    12-31-14 04:58 AM
    I have had no problems with the keyboard in -20 C weather. Snowboarding in quebec all week and my phone keyboard has worked fine on the hills and lifts texting back and forth between the kids on the hill.Also lots of compliments!!!!
    Sorry to the OP for his inconvenience

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 10:43 AM
    Despite all others excitements, kboard does have issue with cold / windy environments.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 10:41 AM
    Very interesting. I suppose BB can adjust the touch sensitivity to calm the keyboard down a bit. The cursor circle also pops up intermittently for no reason. This could all be connected. I'm sure BB will resolve the issues.
    01-04-15 12:08 PM
69 123