I have the same issues on my passport, especially when I leave my warm room and step outside into the cold. It is completely impossible to type an email. The cursor jumps around from top to the button, erase words, inserts text in the wrong place and so on.

It's ok in f.e. BBM, because the cursor can not jump out of the box :-)

This is a huge issue for me....

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 10:33 PM
    For those that must have a solution to this now, install the leaked 10.3.1 OS. You will get an option to disable keyboard gestures.
    keyboard completely unusable in cold weather-img_20141220_212455.png

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 11:25 PM
    It's not the temp, it's wind. I'm in ireland and it only occurs in strong wind and no where near 0 celsius.

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    12-21-14 01:21 AM
    It's minus two degrees in toronto right now, no gloves, warm hands, walking and trying to type anything is impossible. The keyboard and text selector freaks out!! It's only -2 outside!!!!!! It's completely irresponsible if BlackBerry released this phone without testing their MAIN feature in what in consider regular conditions.

I was so impressed until now. I hope this issue is fixed with an OS update! I spend most of my time and outdoors to if this is a hardware issue then i'll be extremely disappointed. Is it not possible for BlackBerry to deliver a solid product just ONCE!!??

Is there a work around? Anyone else with this issue?

The phone is completely UNUSEABLE!!!!
    no none all good with me
    12-21-14 01:25 AM
    It's -6 Celsius here in Ottawa today. My fingers are cold but my Passport is working flawlessly outside.

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    12-21-14 11:32 AM
    It's -6 Celsius here in Ottawa today. My fingers are cold but my Passport is working flawlessly outside.

Posted via CB10
    And you are on OS:

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 11:42 AM
    I don't even have to check the specs and I am sure that I is CLEARLY STATED that the operating range of the Passport is above 0 degrees Celsius! So how is it their fault if you use it outside the operating range?
    Posted via CB10
    By that logic, they ought not to sell it in climates that dip below zero. Knocks out Canada, most of the more heavily populated US cities (Boston, NY, Chicago, etc), a good swath of Europe and Asia... you know, those places people who can afford phones like the Passport live? C'mon, be realistic. Business still goes on regardless of the temperature. The device should have been designed to handle it. So absolutely, the OP has every right to be disappointed. You don't buy a $700 device to use it for 6 months out of the year.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 11:49 AM
    It's not the temp, it's wind. I'm in ireland and it only occurs in strong wind and no where near 0 celsius.

Posted via CB10
    Yep... agreed. I have experienced this a few times... and it is certainly sensitive to the wind.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 04:36 PM
    By that logic, they ought not to sell it in climates that dip below zero. Knocks out Canada, most of the more heavily populated US cities (Boston, NY, Chicago, etc), a good swath of Europe and Asia... you know, those places people who can afford phones like the Passport live? C'mon, be realistic. Business still goes on regardless of the temperature. The device should have been designed to handle it. So absolutely, the OP has every right to be disappointed. You don't buy a $700 device to use it for 6 months out of the year.

Posted via CB10
    Well even if it's winter, it doesn't mean that they can sell shorts in Canada or US! You can still wear them inside! Same logic with smartphones... if that's how you want to reason.

Let me ask you this: why would BlackBerry spend a fortune making their phone "weather proof" when no other phone companies offer such a phone. And I am insisting on the word FORTUNE.

Tesla had been spending billions of dollars on researching Lithium Ion batteries and they still can't make them work and maintain charge in cold weather.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 05:45 PM
    Well even if it's winter, it doesn't mean that they can sell shorts in Canada or US! You can still wear them inside! Same logic with smartphones... if that's how you want to reason.

Let me ask you this: why would BlackBerry spend a fortune making their phone "weather proof" when no other phone companies offer such a phone. And I am insisting on the word FORTUNE.

Tesla had been spending billions of dollars on researching Lithium Ion batteries and they still can't make them work and maintain charge in cold weather.

Posted via CB10
    You're being ridiculous. It's a problem with the touch keyboard software. My Z30, Z10, and 9860 worked just fine being exposed to the elements for the 30-60 seconds it takes to read and reply to an email. I've never heard a complaint from friends with the 9900, Q10, or Q5, about erratic cursor actions in cold, or windy (whichever) weather.

Posted via PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on CB10!
    12-21-14 06:13 PM
    For those that must have a solution to this now, install the leaked 10.3.1 OS. You will get an option to disable keyboard gestures.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141220_212455.png 
Views:	1084 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	322161

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! Good to know that a working solution will arrive with 10.3.1.

Ideally, the touch keyboard software will eventually be improved to compensate for whatever is causing the issue: wind or cold, or cold wind !

12-21-14 06:22 PM
    I noticed it today while in the car, not particularly cold. It worked fine the next time I used it.

A quick guess is the keyboard does some sort of calibration of the capacitance and if this is off the weirdness happens. Pressing the lock button and then waking it up may recalibrate it. I suspect it may ne related to taking it from a warm pocket into the cold and the calibration changing because of the temperature change.

If anybody remembers the old ThinkPads, they would do this with the track button and the mouse would wander. It would loose the center calibration and you would just have to let go of it and after a few seconds it would recalibrate to center.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 07:27 PM
    I noticed it today while in the car, not particularly cold. It worked fine the next time I used it.
    That means it can happen when the wind isn't a factor, which I'm pretty sure is my experience. Certainly cold seems to be.

You might be on to something. I keep my PP in my inside jacket pocket, so the phone is pretty close to body temperature when I take it out to start using it. I'm going to try keeping it in an outside pocket, or even holding it out in the cold for a while. Maybe when it stabilizes, the keyboard gestures won't randomly activate. I'll report if this seems to help.

12-21-14 08:12 PM
    Had it happen to me last week. Don't remember it being excessively cold, was only manchester.....grim, not cold. Not sure if was windy though. But it was annoying as can be, impossible to type a thing.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 09:21 PM
    I noticed this when I was in some direct sunlight (warm!) waiting for the bus back when it was warm out. I had just come from underground via the train...

Perhaps it is sensitive to a fluctuation in temperature? Whether from warm to cold, or cold to warm?

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:00 PM
    Went skiing last weekend, worked fine.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:12 PM
    I have passport and used it on cold days with no issues. Asked wife if she has any keyboard issues and she looked at me as if I were crazy. She looked at me and said "stop wasting your time on CB". I find it very odd that my wife and I haven't experienced any Of the so called issues. I can't even ask her now since she thinks the posters on CB are weird.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:34 PM
    It's all related to dryness of the air. Dryer air carries more static charge. Cold dry air is capable of holding a lot of static charge. When it's windy, cold, and dry, a lot of static is transferred across the surface of the keyboard. Couple that with the fact that the keyboard touch sensitivity is too high and you have a nasty mix for certain weather conditions.

To see just how sensitive the keyboard is, try very gently hovering your finger over the keyboard. Even without touching the keyboard will detect touch gestures. This is easily observed in a browser window for example if you try to scroll by hovering.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 11:04 PM
    It's all related to dryness of the air. Dryer air carries more static charge. Cold dry air is capable of holding a lot of static charge. When it's windy, cold, and dry, a lot of static is transferred across the surface of the keyboard.
    You might be on to something, there. Whether it's static or temperature, the fact is that I can hover my fingers over the keyboard--indoors--with very little, if any, reaction.

I just tried walking outside with it to test the theory, and of course it's behaving itself tonight. Have to try it another time.

At this point, it's mostly a curiosity for me. I'm interested to see if we can figure out and reproduce the effect. Knowing exactly what causes it means that people may be able to take actions to reduce the effect.

Edit: I should add that I had tried the Hovering Finger test earlier in the day, while outside, right after getting out of my vehicle. It was indeed making the keyboard gestures react. Pretty easily, too. We're getting close, people! The answer is within our grasp....

Last edited by BCLoco; 12-22-14 at 11:03 PM.
    12-22-14 06:39 PM
    Moisture is a big determinant as to how badly your keyboard is going to react to the cold.

I've been out the mountains in vancouver a few times so far. The touch part is a little sketchy. But the buttons work great.

Coming from the army where they make things to get beat on, blackberry does a pretty good job.

Just sayin'

Passport || Fido
    12-22-14 09:35 PM
    This has already been brought up a few weeks ago. My Passport also suffered from an obviously demon possessed keyboard when temperatures went slightly below zero degree Celsius. I'd like to recreate this to do some more testing, but temperatures are extremely mild at the moment.
    Yet this problem bothers me so much, it would be a prime reason to either switch back to the Q or sell the PP entirely to just get a Classic. I am glad that at least a workaround is on the way with the setting to disable the touch features of the keyboard.

I also have to heavily disagree with the statement that zero degree would be the bottom limit of operation. Seriously, then they should just sell it in countries where it's always mild. What should we do, buy a winter only phone? I never ever owned a single phone, and I owned a lot in the last 14 years, which simply acted up because temperatures dropped slightly below zero. Usually I don't even check the temperature operation range for a mobile phone. I fully understand they act up when we have a double digit number below zero, but on a light winter's day?

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 12:03 AM
    This has already been brought up a few weeks ago. My Passport also suffered from an obviously demon possessed keyboard when temperatures went slightly below zero degree Celsius. I'd like to recreate this to do some more testing, but temperatures are extremely mild at the moment.
    Yet this problem bothers me so much, it would be a prime reason to either switch back to the Q or sell the PP entirely to just get a Classic. I am glad that at least a workaround is on the way with the setting to disable the touch features of the keyboard.

I also have to heavily disagree with the statement that zero degree would be the bottom limit of operation. Seriously, then they should just sell it in countries where it's always mild. What should we do, buy a winter only phone? I never ever owned a single phone, and I owned a lot in the last 14 years, which simply acted up because temperatures dropped slightly below zero. Usually I don't even check the temperature operation range for a mobile phone. I fully understand they act up when we have a double digit number below zero, but on a light winter's day?

Posted via CB10
    Were there any other phones with capacitive touch keyboards implemented like Passport?

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-24-14 01:34 AM
    This might be an issue with 10.3.1.xxxx

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 02:55 AM
    Were there any other phones with capacitive touch keyboards implemented like Passport?

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    No, of course not.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 06:00 AM
    This might be an issue with 10.3.1.xxxx

Posted via CB10
    I think they add a work-around in 10.3.1 that disables keyboard gestures, as per a screenshot from dejanh earlier in this thread.

Buttons work fine no matter what the conditions are. It's the touch features that mess up and make it difficult--if not impossible--to type out a message, due to the cursor jumping around the screen and deleting stuff.

12-24-14 11:04 AM
69 123