It's minus two degrees in toronto right now, no gloves, warm hands, walking and trying to type anything is impossible. The keyboard and text selector freaks out!! It's only -2 outside!!!!!! It's completely irresponsible if BlackBerry released this phone without testing their MAIN feature in what in consider regular conditions.

I was so impressed until now. I hope this issue is fixed with an OS update! I spend most of my time and outdoors to if this is a hardware issue then i'll be extremely disappointed. Is it not possible for BlackBerry to deliver a solid product just ONCE!!??

Is there a work around? Anyone else with this issue?

The phone is completely UNUSEABLE!!!!
    Eric7 likes this.
    12-19-14 10:12 PM
    Probably better off asking and searching if this is a widely known issue rather than freaking out and making a generalization about the device and company.

Can't say I've experienced this in Waterloo, and the temperatures aren't different.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 10:16 PM
    I've used my Passport in below -10 weather and had no issues...

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    12-19-14 10:17 PM
    I got my passport 2 days ago and I've had the same experience. When I try typing in the cold the touch keyboard goes crazy.
    12-19-14 10:26 PM
    I have used my passport in -20 weather. And work outside every day. Not one issue for me. Must just be your device

Posted via CB10
    Vancouverkid87 likes this.
    12-19-14 10:29 PM
    I have the same issue with craziness. The words that I type get erased as I type. I am east of Toronto

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    12-19-14 10:32 PM
    No issues for me and I'm up near ottawa

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 10:37 PM
    I read about this on some other thread but hadn't noticed a myself until today. In Boston for the weekend, a balmy 32F compared to some of the temps I get in Minneapolis. I guess it will be a reminder to me to get out of the cold.

Posted via CB10
    Tompire likes this.
    12-19-14 10:47 PM
    Hmm I've had difficulties typing in WINDY cold weather but not as bad as the op says. What happens is that I get swipe-delete every now and then, the cursor sometimes pops out. No big deal tho

to fix it go and turn off the keyboard touch and that's it.... settings, Lang and input, touch enabled kb
    12-19-14 10:55 PM
    So the text selector becomes unresponsive, and the phone is suddenly completely "UNUSABLE".

I sure wonder how those poor saps on their Q10 have managed through the past few winters.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 10:57 PM
    Q10 does not have the same keyboard as the Passport. I had no issues with the Q even In -40 temps, mind you I didnt type any long messages when it was that cold

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-19-14 11:03 PM
    I have no problems in cold weather but in windy weather. Any currents make my keyboard go ape and renders it totally unusable. I think they should add some sensitivity settings and a way to disable the touch keyboard via software.

Sent via my square wonder thingie
    12-20-14 12:18 AM
    Ditto. Find the keyboard swipe/scroll goes all over the past place so far in the cold. Not sure if snow, wind or cold but it's acting weird for sure.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 12:20 AM
    Hold on just a second... I noticed that some people (such as rebroker2009) encountering these errors are also running the 10.3.1 leak, could you all please confirm what OS build you are running before blaming the phone.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK and bbvj like this.
    12-20-14 01:45 AM
    Hold on just a second... I noticed that some people (such as rebroker2009) encountering these errors are also running the 10.3.1 leak, could you all please confirm what OS build you are running before blaming the phone.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Had this problem on all os versions. Tried them all so far. Went back and forth since this is the only problem I have with my Passport. Clean installation everytime, no backups restored, everything else works great (well, except for the random flickering issue but I don't quite mind it).

Sent via my square wonder thingie
    thedose likes this.
    12-20-14 02:57 AM
    It's minus two degrees in toronto right now, no gloves, warm hands, walking and trying to type anything is impossible. The keyboard and text selector freaks out!! It's only -2 outside!!!!!! It's completely irresponsible if BlackBerry released this phone without testing their MAIN feature in what in consider regular conditions.

I was so impressed until now. I hope this issue is fixed with an OS update! I spend most of my time and outdoors to if this is a hardware issue then i'll be extremely disappointed. Is it not possible for BlackBerry to deliver a solid product just ONCE!!??

Is there a work around? Anyone else with this issue?

The phone is completely UNUSEABLE!!!!
    You need https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=T4WiaIZR

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-20-14 03:12 AM
    Hmm I've had difficulties typing in WINDY cold weather but not as bad as the op says. What happens is that I get swipe-delete every now and then, the cursor sometimes pops out. No big deal tho

to fix it go and turn off the keyboard touch and that's it.... settings, Lang and input, touch enabled kb
    I don't see the option to turn off the touch keyboard on mine running 10.3.0.1418.

If it's there in the leak OS I may use it to solve the problem when I load the official 10.3.1

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 06:46 AM
    OP... Not sure if you're aware but all smartphone typically has operating temperatures above 0 degrees Celsius. LCD screens contains liquids... lithium ion batteries drains when it's cold, capacitive screens and in the Passport case.... capacitive keyboards goes wonky. BlackBerry is not to blame for that! So take a deep breath of cold canadian air and just chill up!

Posted via CB10
    thedose and bbvj like this.
    12-20-14 07:07 AM
    OS is 10.3.0.1418 so I can't disable the keyboard sensor.

Ok so I have a feeling it could be the wind as I ran another test last night in -7 degree weather and it seemed to work without any issues. I updated blackberry response and a few people posted their experiences here.

Re: Odd problem due to cold weather? - Page 2 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Pressing the power switch seems to reset the keyboard state.
    12-20-14 10:28 AM
    I find it's caused by windy weather but disabling the touch enabled keyboard (running 10.3.1.1154) sorts it out as someone previously suggested.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 10:39 AM
    You need http:/<b><u>/www.panasonic.com/busin...e1.as</u></b>p

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    hey that phone looks and sounds good...
    12-20-14 10:54 AM
    OP... Not sure if you're aware but all smartphone typically has operating temperatures above 0 degrees Celsius. LCD screens contains liquids... lithium ion batteries drains when it's cold, capacitive screens and in the Passport case.... capacitive keyboards goes wonky. BlackBerry is not to blame for that! So take a deep breath of cold canadian air and just chill up!

Posted via CB10
    sure is......built something then test it not just inside or in Florida
    12-20-14 10:57 AM
    sure is......built something then test it not just inside or in Florida
    I don't even have to check the specs and I am sure that I is CLEARLY STATED that the operating range of the Passport is above 0 degrees Celsius! So how is it their fault if you use it outside the operating range?

Are you telling me that if you wear shorts outside when it's -10 degrees Celsius and you become sick from the cold... you're gonna blame the company cause they haven't tested the shorts in the cold?

Posted via CB10
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    12-20-14 08:22 PM
    I live in the south & I noticed before I got a cover for my phone that typing outside when it was 30 degrees was problematic. Once I got a cover it eliminated the problem.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 08:26 PM
    We live in a country where it's below zero for a significant portion of the year. We do need to pull our phones out and use them occasionally, even in the winter.

My PP does the erratic typing thing as well when I'm using it outside in cold weather. Touchscreen works fine, it's the keyboard itself that goes a little crazy. Cursor moves around on its own, swipe-to-delete will activate without even touching the keyboard. It does become unusable for typing, but you can still make phone calls just fine.

My OS doesn't have the ability to disable the touch keyboard, either.

I'm sure future OS updates will sort it out, even if it means disabling the keyboard gestures when the phone hits a certain low-temperature threshold.

Posted via PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on CB10!
    12-20-14 08:33 PM
69 123