Has anyone figured a way to make the passport keyboard work correctly when used in the cold? It was in the low 20's today and had to use the passport to send a couple emails and texts while outside and for about 30 seconds after taking it out of my pocket, it worked fine. The it started going crazy. The cursor jumped and the keyboard worked sometimes and sometimes not, so letters got sporadic. The longer I tried to use it, the worse it got. When I went back inside, it worked correctly almost immediately. It wasn't real windy out, maybe 5 to 10 mph.

Running stock os and really not wanting or willing to run a leak. I want stock and reliable. Hoping I missed something in the search of the forum and there has been a fix for this rather than waiting for 10.3.1 and turning off one of the main functions of the passport. Help.
    01-06-15 04:47 PM
    Yes, this fancy keyboard is useless in cold for me as well.
    Cursor goes crazy and it's impossible to type anything right.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 05:03 PM
    It's hotness going out from your fingers that make metalic lines think you are tuching them. I have the same issue. But there is a good thing, try to scroll with keyboard leting your fingers 3 or 4 milimeter upon the keyboard, it's like magic.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 05:17 PM
    Darn. So basically there's no fix? This is a show stopped issue for me. Yes, I don't like being in the cold and having to use the phone, but times dictate it's necesaty. The screen worked fine, but the keyboard was totally useless making anything to do with typing impossible. And waiting for a fix of crippling the device, not good. If I heard that the new update would adjust the sensors to eliminate this, I might have hope. But all I'm reading is the new update will allow you to shut the thing that makes the passport unique, off. Please tell me I'm wrong. Did BB really release this phone knowing this was a problem or did the Canadian company not test this in the cold? Really?
    01-06-15 05:56 PM
    You're not wrong.

Keyboard in the cold-img_20150106_155846.png

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 05:59 PM
    Same issue here, keyboard erratic in cold! :-(

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 06:04 PM
    I used it skiing just fine. Skiing.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 06:13 PM
    WOW! What a flaw I find this incredible.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 06:26 PM
    I was in the same 20 degrees today and didnt notice an issue sending a bbm...might have something to do with the length of exposure to cold

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 06:56 PM
    I was in the same 20 degrees today and didnt notice an issue sending a bbm...might have something to do with the length of exposure to cold

Posted via CB10
    Length of exposure to cold, dryness of the air, wind, and dryness of your hands will all affect it. The worst combo is cold, dry, and windy.

Also, the skiing comment above, I don't believe you were skiing and using your phone, no?

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 06:59 PM
    Same thing here, went outside at -20 yesterday having a lungs vitamin and after 30 seconds the keyboard was going crazy !

From Le Passport 
    01-06-15 08:52 PM
    Length of exposure to cold, dryness of the air, wind, and dryness of your hands will all affect it. The worst combo is cold, dry, and windy.

Also, the skiing comment above, I don't believe you were skiing and using your phone, no?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I went skiing and used my phone to text what lift I was on, switch songs on Pandora and use a trail tracking app and it worked fine. If I'm not mistaken, you're the guy that can't get a phone that works properly right? So how would you know how the keyboard works in the cold.

The keyboard is fine in the cold.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    vpblaze and thymaster like this.
    01-06-15 10:09 PM
    It isn't fine. It's a big problem.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 10:35 PM
    Haven't had a problem in the 20-degree weather or at the ice rinks yet. But I'll keep an eye out for it.
    01-06-15 11:16 PM
    Darn. So basically there's no fix? This is a show stopped issue for me. Yes, I don't like being in the cold and having to use the phone, but times dictate it's necesaty. The screen worked fine, but the keyboard was totally useless making anything to do with typing impossible. And waiting for a fix of crippling the device, not good. If I heard that the new update would adjust the sensors to eliminate this, I might have hope. But all I'm reading is the new update will allow you to shut the thing that makes the passport unique, off. Please tell me I'm wrong. Did BB really release this phone knowing this was a problem or did the Canadian company not test this in the cold? Really?
    I understand your frustration but like you said it's not often that you are using the keyboard in these conditions, so in the rare times that you are, is it that difficult to turn off the touch keyboard option? I mean it's not like any alternate phone you go to will have a touch sensitive keyboard functionality either.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 12:07 AM
    Yes, I went skiing and used my phone to text what lift I was on, switch songs on Pandora and use a trail tracking app and it worked fine.

The keyboard is fine in the cold.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    You clearly weren't using the phone while skiing. You were using it while stationary and you did one minor thing on it that required the use of the keyboard and that was it. I do know how the keyboard works in the cold and in general because I've experienced it myself even with milder temperatures, very dry air, and wind. Depending on the environmental conditions the keyboard can respond to no touch. During those times, actual contact with the keyboard can cause it to go crazy. There is a reason why the new shut-off feature is being added in 10.3.1.

With all of that said, I have also been in -17C weather just this past week and had no keyboard issues because I kept the device warmer and the weather was without any wind at all. It's a combination of factors.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 12:49 AM
    Of course not while skiing, but on the lift when it's -10 Fahrenheit for longer than a minute it worked. You can do the conversion. Currently I'm at a construction site in boston where it's 18 currently which is -7 where you live and I'm typing away, type type type. .
    Keyboard in the cold-img_20150107_072035.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 01-07-15 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Mod cleanup
    thymaster likes this.
    01-07-15 06:20 AM
    The issues with my devices are between me and BlackBerry, and BlackBerry management is already taking care of my issues so I'm happy. Here's a quote from one of the more senior managers at BlackBerry after I've given them all of the proof, feedback, and shared my experiences with the device.

"It was nice to speak with you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience and for being such a champion of our Company and product."

It's silly that I have to defend myself after all of this, but there it is anyway.

On topic, as I've said before, it isn't about good keyboard bad keyboard. It isn't even about cold or not cold. I've used the phone with issues at -2C with dry air and very cold wind, and -17C with no issues, without wind. It just has to do with how much static charge is in the air and how it affects the keyboard behavior. Not all phones will also have the same sensitivity, but the keyboard is prone to acting up in cold, dry, and windy conditions.

Ideally, BlackBerry will introduce an ability to tune the sensitivity of the keyboard. This would allow the user to determine what sensitivity is appropriate for what conditions. I find that even under normal usage the keyboard is sometimes too sensitive. In particular, when the edit cursor is placed on the text by tapping on the screen, followed by placing your fingers on the keyboard, the cursor will often jump unpredictably.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 01-07-15 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Mod cleanup
    01-07-15 09:13 AM
    My city have caught the below -20 degrees cold in the past couple of days and I've been using in the Passport in the cold find. I've walked my passport a couple of block to the store and around downtown during lunch with no hiccups.

I've seen your other threads and you seem agitated and have a negative connotation toward the Passport. I'm still wondering why you still own the phone. Didn't you say you switched to Samsung already?
    AdamThatsIt likes this.
    01-07-15 09:47 AM
    I don't get it, you basically said you have problems with the keyboard in -20 cold weather in your first post and now you just say you don't have a problem with -17. You're also saying it isn't about the cold because you have problems in -2 as well. Dude make up your mind if you're going to make up a story.

On topic, as I've said before, it isn't about good keyboard bad keyboard. It isn't even about cold or not cold. I've used the phone with issues at -2C with dry air and very cold wind, and -17C with no issues, without wind. It just has to do with how much static charge is in the air and how it affects the keyboard behavior. Not all phones will also have the same sensitivity, but the keyboard is prone to acting up in cold, dry, and windy conditions.
    AdamThatsIt likes this.
    01-07-15 10:00 AM
    I'm not sure which post you're talking about that's causing confusion. As I've stated, a combination of factors leads to the keyboard acting up hence why it can misbehave in mildly cold weather and be fine at very cold weather. I don't need to repeat myself as the info is already posted.

I'm sure the OP already got his/her answer so there is nothing more to add on this topic, for me anyway.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 10:35 AM
    [WARN]Please discuss the topic, not the person posting.[/WARN]
    01-07-15 11:09 AM
    -15 degrees celsius in Toronto. Outside for 10min. I had no issues. Other than really cold ears.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.1.1133 / Telus
    01-07-15 11:17 AM
    No problems in cold weather here either
    01-07-15 12:56 PM
    My keyboard hasn't gone crazy outside and it's -30 where i'm at

Posted via Passport
    AdamThatsIt and thedose like this.
    01-07-15 01:00 PM
37 12