So as this is my first keyboard phone (old/flip phones?... Storm, Android, Z10, Z30, now Passport) was wondering if anyone wanted to give me a quick run down on the deal with the backlight. I just assumed it would only light up at night, but it is about noon and my keyboard backlight is currently on. Seems my assumption was wrong lol. I really do not understand the keyboard backlight as it does seem kind of random to me. I'm sure that it isn't, but I have no idea what triggers it on or off. I'm sure a lot of you guys know BlackBerry's keyboards much better than I do!

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 10:56 AM
    Usually it is triggered by the ambient lighting sensor of your Passport. So if it thinks the environment is dark enough, it activates the backlight. However I've read quite some reports regarding odd behaviours of Passports regarding the keyboard backlight, most of the time a simple reboot seems to help.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 03:07 PM
    You are right I just did some tests. The backlight is usually always on; even when it doesn't need to be. It seems it needs to be in some bright light for the backlight to turn off! As I said it seemed kind of random to me as I would be in my house with all the lights on and it would still come on. I just put it up to the window and covered my hand over the keyboard and the backlight went off, but as soon as I took it away from the bright light outside the backlight was on again. Thanks for the info. Was just curious as to if it automatically turned on based on lighting because I couldn't think of a situation when the backlight was off. Guess I would need to be in brighter light or outdoors during the day. Probably just have not noticed when outside as it would be difficult to see.
    10-27-14 03:56 PM
    Make sure you run the device diagnostic app in the OS and make sure the sensors are working. If you see any sensors not responding, a reboot usually fixes the issue.

I had the opposite problem where the backlight would not turn on. After the reboot it is working as supposed to.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 07:09 PM
    Make sure you run the device diagnostic app in the OS and make sure the sensors are working. If you see any sensors not responding, a reboot usually fixes the issue.

I had the opposite problem where the backlight would not turn on. After the reboot it is working as supposed to.

Posted via CB10
    How do you get to the diagnostics app on the Passport btw?
    10-27-14 10:09 PM
    How do you get to the diagnostics app on the Passport btw?
    If it is not pre-installed, search BlackBerry World for BBVE... which is BlackBerry Virtual Expert. It basically tests everything. I'm assuming this is what was being referred to. I used it once on my Z30 to check the speakers. Works nicely and self-explanatory. Nice app by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 01:43 AM
    After ordering a white Z10 and white Z30 since I need some new GSM phones and BlackBerry was kind enough to sell the Z30 for $299, I was looking through my old Verizon cases as I moved from the Z10 to the Z30 on Verizon and think I finally figured out why my backlight is almost always on versus others complaining of it not being sensitive enough.

As I was going through my screen protectors (didn't realize I have so many!) I remembered that I put a matte/anti-glare screen protector on the Passport which is somewhat dimming. Well, I just looked and it covers the sensors so I am assuming the matte screen protector is causing the backlight to come on all the time. Can't believe it took me this long to figure it out lol.
    11-05-14 11:09 PM