I have continuing problems with my Passport keyboard backlight not working. I sent it back to BB once and it came back fine until the problem re-started which took a month or two. That time, I did a reload through Link and it was fine for a while and now has started again. I guess I'll do another reload, but in the meantime, a couple of questions:

1. Throughout these problems, I have had a screen protector on the Passport. Is there anyone not using a screen protector that has had proximity sensor or keyboard backlight problems?

2. Does anyone know exactly where the proximity sensor is?

Much appreciation!

OS 10.3.2.2639
    Software release: 10.3.2.2474
    Model: SQW100-1
    10-30-15 09:39 AM
    The Sensor is placed on the top of the device, next to the ear speaker.

Some protectors have been known to interfere, mainly these glass ones.

Meanwhile, run the BBVE App on your Homescreen and run a sensor test
    Last edited by paulwallace1234; 10-30-15 at 11:22 AM.
    10-30-15 10:41 AM
    Paul,

Thanks - I did run the BBVE app and both light sensor and proximity sensors failed. That seems to be as far as that app goes though - it just lets me know what failed but does not help fix it, unless I am missing something. Am I?
    10-30-15 11:09 AM
    The test cannot do anything to fix it, it's literally just to let you know something is broken.

It could be a software or hardware issue really, in your case likely software.

I would back it up and run an Autoloader, it will wipe the device clean and stick a fresh copy of the OS on the device; then restore all your backup par the device Settings.
    10-30-15 11:21 AM
    Although I was 100% sure that it was a hardware issue, and after actually blabbing about it on the forums and ranting about poor build quality.

I actually have come to believe that others were right, it's a software issue.

For me: OS 10.3.2.2474 partially fixed it. Moreover and dunno if it's a coincidence or luck or some kind of conflict , but when keyboard is dead, I put it back in its leather pouch with sleep magnet, and seconds later it's revived.

Here's my weird account on the matter. Hope it helps.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 12:33 PM
    Q,

Do you or did you use a screen protector? Thanks.
    10-30-15 12:46 PM
    Paul,

The last time I reloaded the OS I did it through Link. Is there an advantage in using an autoloader? Thanks.
    10-30-15 12:50 PM
    Paul,

The last time I reloaded the OS I did it through Link. Is there an advantage in using an autoloader? Thanks.

An Autoloader wipes the device and does a clean install, sometimes Link can mess it up

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    10-30-15 01:16 PM
    Q,

Do you or did you use a screen protector? Thanks.
    Had it, and still have it on since day one.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 02:15 AM
    Mine did that last week. No backlight but the keyboard worked fine.
    I did a full reset (press and hold the Up volume and Down Volume together -Let it take a screen shot and continue holding until the screen goes blank and you get a Red light)
    Works again now.
    My glass screen protector has cutouts for the proximity detector but I still get the odd occasion where the screen does not blank when I hold it to my ear when on a call.
    11-05-15 04:38 AM
    Same here. Keyboard light wouldn't respond to anything. Rebooted the phone and fine again. Weird. And no screen protector here.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 05:21 AM
    Doesn't the Passport have an ambient light sensor? I would think the keyboard backlight has nothing to do with the proximity sensor.

If I cover the sensor to the left of the earpiece with my finger, the backlight comes on and when I take my finger off, the backlight turns off.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 08:26 AM
    I am having to reset my phone daily. Getting annoying.

8700, Bold 9000, Bold 9900, Z30, SE Passport, ?????
    12-12-15 09:28 PM
    Both sensors go nuts, you can see that in the BBVE app.

When your keyboard acts up, launch BBVE and see what it tells you.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-15 10:53 PM
    Doesn't the Passport have an ambient light sensor? I would think the keyboard backlight has nothing to do with the proximity sensor.

If I cover the sensor to the left of the earpiece with my finger, the backlight comes on and when I take my finger off, the backlight turns off.

Posted via CB10
    Passports have both a proxy sensor and a light sensor. Both play a role in the keyboards back lighting.

The light sensor allows the keyboard to light up and dim depending on the lighting that your in.

The proxy sensor is going to recognize that you put the phone to your ear and turn off the keyboard light and touch screen.
    12-20-15 11:20 PM