Have looked back through the forum but am having trouble finding any threads dealing with faeces and the PKB. Disappointing.

Anyway, I'm a vet(erinarian) and my phones can get a bit.. err.. grimey. You know, things get dropped. In BAD places. Looking at a Passport. Wondered how people find the keyboard as a dirt magnet and how easy to clean.

Have had a Pre 2 back in the day and found those chiclet keys were not too bad.

Thanks in advance.
    02-26-16 12:52 AM
    I'm a dentist...and so far I've no complaints regarding the keyboard. I keep it in my scrub top as I work and any tiny bits of material that have ever got stuck between the keys have been easy to wipe clean. However, I have a passport silver edition and it has a tiny scratch on the keyboard surround cover as it's made of plastic...something to consider if you're going to be dropping it in random grimey places.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-16 07:02 AM
    Thanks KcanK. Looking forward to getting Passport, but did wonder how other people who had dirty work environments found it.

Solution, I guess, is not to drop it!
    02-28-16 12:59 AM
    Use mine in an Oil & Chemical Terminal and keep it sanitised with the same wipes as you'd use for respirators and safety glasses. Just keep a couple of sachets in a pocket and you're good.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 04:38 AM
    I know this sounds stupid, but I place my BlackBerry Passport in a Ziploc baggie for times when I know I will be in unsanitary or dusty environments. Also, I sometimes carry my phone in the original box.

I refuse to put my phone in a situation where cleaning it becomes necessary. I love my phone too much, and I invested a lot of money in this, so I protect it as much as possible. That's just me though.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 05:32 AM
    Thanks @ukandywest! The solvents in those don't affect the keyboard or letters?
    02-29-16 12:31 AM
    @rcranz I've done the ziploc baggie thing too (armlength plastic glove works pretty well too, if you had one of those lying around). I'm the other end of the spectrum when it comes to phones, and like to have them on me whenever I'm working, which can be brutal on the phone. Different when it's a cheap Android though!
    Stupid question- does the capacitive keyboard function work through the baggy?
    02-29-16 12:42 AM
    Yes, both the keyboard and screen work normally while the Passport is inside a Ziploc baggie!

BTW, I only use a Ziploc baggie when my phone is near water or liquids, or when my fingers are greasy from French fries, etc. I've destroyed a few BlackBerry phones by spilling liquid on the keyboard or screen, so I want to make sure this never happens again.
    02-29-16 01:25 AM
    I've had no problems @allstarkenyan! Mild isopropyl alcohol hasn't touched it!

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 06:25 AM
    Chinese places use plastic wrap on the cash registers.
    02-29-16 06:32 AM