02-05-15 06:46 PM
73 123
tools
    Curious, but what made you choose a Passport?

(Sorry, no tips from me, but I'm sure others will chime in.)

That's a very good question. A lot of things actually, but the encryption has a lot to do with my choice. I am also big on productivity, and now that I look back to my decision to get an iPhone, I realize that iOS is bad, or at least basic, when it comes to productivity. Also, I am a junior in college and I am entering the email phase. I am constantly sending emails or receiving them to classmates. I don't like typing professional emails through the iPhone. Also it's good practice to get a blackberry now so i'll be accustom to the OS by the time I graduate and enter the workforce.
    I was leaning towards the classic at first, but then I seen the specs of the Passport and I instantly knew that the passport would be for me instead of the classic.
    Lastly, few people have a blackberry outside of the business world so it will awesome to differentiate myself more from others.
    01-26-15 09:26 PM
    Dear OP as long as you put productivity first you wont look back one bit.

I am look forward to you review once you have used the passport for a week or two.

Congrats on your courage!

Posted via CB10

Thank you! I will most definitely be writing my review on the overall transition to blackberry. I'll spend most if not all Tuesday testing it out, and also this week. I'll make a note to myself to send you a message once it is posted.

Thanks again!
    01-26-15 09:30 PM
    buy a case
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    01-26-15 09:35 PM
    Ahh..... I hope I made the right choice! Just ordered a Black Berry Passport. I feel that so many people have a negative view on it that I feel that its only fair for a real techie with a following base to give it a try. Hopefully I enjoy the blackberry. I'm a bit nervous. My blackberry passport arrives on Tuesday so still haven't received it.

This is my first blackberry. Any tips/app suggestions? I come from an iPhone Plus but previously a big android user.

Thank you.

Embrace it with an open mind and you'll love it. And take advantage of the android run-time
    PG923 likes this.
    01-26-15 10:12 PM
    Is he using active sync?

Posted via CB10
    Don't know. I'll check. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 11:14 PM
    You will be fine and you are getting a great phone with outstanding communication Hub. You are truly going to be impressed and being a Techie you will adapt easily. It is kind of like owning and driving a BMW after you had one it is hard to settle for something inferior.

Welcome to the dark side we are glad you are here.
    Last edited by Recoton; 01-26-15 at 11:38 PM.
    DarkJoker33 and PG923 like this.
    01-26-15 11:28 PM
    Quick tip: take a look at the forums with keyboard shortcuts and use them. You'll soon learn why Blackberry has such a loyal fan base. And your productivity with a smartphone will really get a boost.
    PG923 likes this.
    01-26-15 11:42 PM
    You're going to find a phablet sized device that actually makes sense, you'll be able to read documents in a more enjoyable fashion and of course the keyboard.

It's wide but won't feel as bulky as the 6 plus. Keyboard is a new paradigm but once you get used to it, it's so much fun to use.

Hope you enjoy it!

#CB10 #WorkWide
    PG923 likes this.
    01-26-15 11:59 PM
    Good for you man!

Former 9900, Z10, and Z30 user and lover, but now Passport rocker!
    01-27-15 12:13 AM
    Congratulations on your purchase. It's a beautiful device, and BB10 is really hitting it's stride.

Be patient with the keyboard, and understand that what you have purchased is not an iPhone. It's a productivity device with incredible multitasking and navigation.

Any problems that may arise, just ask. There is nothing that BB10 /QNX can't do!

Posted via CB10
    PG923 likes this.
    01-27-15 02:43 AM
    01-27-15 03:20 AM
    Hey ! Welcome to the club !!!

IMHO, the key points are :
    1/ Take your time to 'train' and spend some to discover all the features KB can offer
    2/ Install Blend: this alone will make you dance every day !
    PG923 likes this.
    01-27-15 04:06 AM
    Dear OP,

If you have any question regarding your passport, don't hesitate to ask questions in the forum (but please search first )

Also, you can contact me on pin:2BF39445

In any case this is my advice : as any new system, remember that the philosophy of use/work will be different and that you will need to adapt to a different behaviour, hopefully for the best.

If all the systems were identical, why would you change ?

Cheers,

Polytan

Posted via CB10
    PG923 likes this.
    01-27-15 04:10 AM
    buy a case
    Ouch ... IMHO not, unless you can't take care of it or use it in aggressive situations.
    My Seido Surface Case was sexy on the screen, but as soon as I mounted it I realized love won't last.
    Weight, grip, keyboard usage, size and furthermore look ...
    It went in the drawer as fast as 24hrs later. I gave it a small chance but it won't come back unless exceptional usage mentioned above.
    01-27-15 04:10 AM
    Same for me. I had a case and removed it as it was less comfortable ...

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 04:23 AM
    If you're really into iOS apps then this might not be for you. Other then that BB10 is a great OS you will be hooked on once you are familiar with it. Enjoy your new Passport and please give us your review after a week of using it.
    01-27-15 05:35 AM
    Ahh..... I hope I made the right choice! Just ordered a Black Berry Passport. I feel that so many people have a negative view on it that I feel that its only fair for a real techie with a following base to give it a try. Hopefully I enjoy the blackberry. I'm a bit nervous. My blackberry passport arrives on Tuesday so still haven't received it.

This is my first blackberry. Any tips/app suggestions? I come from an iPhone Plus but previously a big android user.

Thank you.

Just learn the gestures and get comfortable on how to navigate throughout the screens.

Then give yourself a few weeks to get real comfortable with the physical keyboard layout. Even hard core BB keyboard folks had some adjusting to do. Once you do that, and you get your requisite apps installed and set up, you should be in good shape. Good luck and enjoy.

BTW, you're probably going to get some backlash from your fellow peers for switching, so you'll have to put up with their bs for a bit. Nothing better to do I suppose.
    01-27-15 06:24 AM
    That's a very good question. A lot of things actually, but the encryption has a lot to do with my choice. I am also big on productivity, and now that I look back to my decision to get an iPhone, I realize that iOS is bad, or at least basic, when it comes to productivity. Also, I am a junior in college and I am entering the email phase. I am constantly sending emails or receiving them to classmates. I don't like typing professional emails through the iPhone. Also it's good practice to get a blackberry now so i'll be accustom to the OS by the time I graduate and enter the workforce.
    I was leaning towards the classic at first, but then I seen the specs of the Passport and I instantly knew that the passport would be for me instead of the classic.
    Lastly, few people have a blackberry outside of the business world so it will awesome to differentiate myself more from others.
    Since you mentioned you're a junior in college, install Print To Go if you use a Windows PC. Except those on Windows 8 or higher. You'll appreciate how easy it is to get important documents on yr device without going thru email or iTunes. Secondly get a Micro USB key for managing files you want to bring in your device. the file manager in the Passport will make it easy to share and bring files with you.
    PG923 likes this.
    01-27-15 06:30 AM
    I had a blackberry passport the black one i decided to return it and go with the iphone 6 plus. What a mistake iphone was ok for a while but thats it missed my blackberry wished i had not returned it. So i sold the iphone 6 plus and today just ordered the white blackberry passport from clove uk they have a offer on at the moment in uk. The price is 399 other places still selling for 500 plus i will have my phone tomorrow great phone the best they get.
    01-27-15 06:32 AM
    If communications is your main concern they the Passport should be a great option.

If you do need some apps, you should be able to install some of the Andorid Apps you are familiar with.
    01-27-15 07:49 AM
    Big things that change the way you use phones:
    Reader mode if you like reading web pages
    Load Snap
    Swipe down from top in android app to adjust size to fit your need.[Aspect ratio]
    Blend. Using PP without blend when you are in front of computer all the time is sacrilegious.
    01-27-15 08:44 AM
    If you use Print to go you are on a PC. You can just as easily save as pdf directly to device(remotely mapped or connected via USB.
    Since you mentioned you're a junior in college, install Print To Go if you use a Windows PC. Except those on Windows 8 or higher. You'll appreciate how easy it is to get important documents on yr device without going thru email or iTunes. Secondly get a Micro USB key for managing files you want to bring in your device. the file manager in the Passport will make it easy to share and bring files with you.
    01-27-15 08:46 AM

Thank you.

It would be interesting for us BlackBerry users to know what made you take BlackBerry passport from an iPhone?

Posted via BlackBerry z10
    01-27-15 10:48 AM
    I came over from an iPhone 6 Plus also. For me it was productivity.
    LoneStarRed and PG923 like this.
    01-27-15 12:33 PM
    I just picked up the white passport for the missus. Loaded it up, tomorrow she dumps her 5s and will start on her BlackBerry journey
    01-27-15 02:44 PM
73 123