Agree with you completely that N8 was the best. Like the 6700 Classic before it, it was soooo good and long lasting that they stopped making it because no one ever bought a new phone. my n8 was stolen a few months ago and I bought a new windows phone. It was horrible! and you have no options to back up directly to your pc if you use XP, you can only back up to "the cloud" so microsoft can steal all your data. I searched until I found a new in the box n8 (in peru of all places) and struggled to get my content and apps restored. Now you cannot Skpye on N8 and microsoft is killing off all the other apps for N8 like Linkedin, to force you to go to windows phones, so I am thinking of trying blackberry for the first time.

Could youhave share your experience changing from N8 to blackberry and answer a few of my most basic questions?

1. Given the Snowden leaks, how can blackberry say it is �secure� if it is running across a phone network like ATT or the user is installing Android apps that �report home� on your phone�s contents?

2. Does Blackberry wok with any phone network and your own sym card, or is it restricted to certain networks? I remember reading about the Blackberry "network" going down and millions of people could not use their blackberries. Or was that just for the messaging component not the phone and apps, itself?

3. Nokia Maps (Drive) has always been the best GPS road map iIMHO. How does Blackberry's navigator stack up against Nokia (windows)?

4. I am thinking of changing to Linux Mint as replacement for XP. Do you know if I can sync and back up a Blackberry directly to a PC running Linux?

5. How readily available is service and tech support for Blackberry?

Thanks in advance
    1. I know for the end-to-end communications, they go through NOC on BlackBerry's end, they're encrypted on your device and decrypted on the recipient's device (talking about BBM and enterprise stuff). There is no middle men who can read that data and make even remote sense of what your messages were. That's the beauty of the BlackBerry Network.

2. I've had my BlackBerry for many many years now and I only remember a day when BBM wasn't working due to a server hiccup. As for SIM cards , to my knowledge just about any are readable in the phone, as long as the cell network isn't using CDMA like Verizon then it will work (GSM+ only phone, that's why everyone on Verizon keeps posting here being like "WHERE IS MA VERIZON PHONE?!")

3. Can't say I've used Nokia maps, and honestly I'm not sure why everyone complains about BlackBerry Maps... I've used it since day one and its never gotten me to the wrong destination... if you don't like it, you can also use Waze which is infinitely better than any other map you can download for BlackBerry since it has known cop hideouts, construction, etc (user-reported community)

4. To my knowledge of Linux compatibility, no, however I'm 100% sure that someone has found a way to use it on it. Not sure Blend will work, however.

5. The month of BlackBerry Premium support you get from this handset is very readily available and will help you out quickly. However, the Crackberry community is also a vital tool to any BlackBerry user as you will find just about anything you need to know or any how to that you need here!

Hope that answers some of your questions!

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052
    sroberto likes this.
    09-30-14 08:38 AM
    After that drop, any dings??

Thank god it could withstand drops.. unlike that iphone

Posted via CB10
    You cannot drop iphone but you can bend it. How many phone can claim the bend gate spot. Hahahaha.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    09-30-14 09:05 AM
    1. Given the Snowden leaks, how can blackberry say it is “secure” if it is running across a phone network like ATT or the user is installing Android apps that “report home” on your phone’s contents?

2. Does Blackberry wok with any phone network and your own sym card, or is it restricted to certain networks? I remember reading about the Blackberry "network" going down and millions of people could not use their blackberries. Or was that just for the messaging component not the phone and apps, itself?

3. Nokia Maps (Drive) has always been the best GPS road map iIMHO. How does Blackberry's navigator stack up against Nokia (windows)?

4. I am thinking of changing to Linux Mint as replacement for XP. Do you know if I can sync and back up a Blackberry directly to a PC running Linux?

As for your question
    1)The best security is yourself on how you use the smartphone.Don't know about BlackBerry claim.Snowden leak is because Snowden stole the data directly from NSA database.

2) The network support depend on the device variant and its band support but N8 has the best global support with pentaband.

3) Again Nokia Map for Symbian(now by lumia probably with more dabase support and offline support in last few update) is the best among all map.Offline mode that allow you to view the map without need to go online and best of all for me,even the satellites image is saved can be view offline.Even Nokia Map is more up to date than Google map thought Goggle map win in term of "point of interest".Blackberry need to be online to work so it is crap.

4)BlackBerry Link is use to sync and backup but unfortunately i didn't found any installer for linux so i afraid you cannot use Link in Linux but you can try to run Link in virtual window.Probably will work.

5)Just CRAP.Nokia have the best support i ever seen though if you have problem with OS it is best to ask geek users than the service support as geek users constantly use their phone so they know the way around OS.Better to use service support only for device and accessories query.

AS for experience using BB10 and Nokia N8(symbian),in my opinion symbian is still the best.FM transmitter,Tv-out,video call(via 3g) witch z10 doesn't support and the way we customize(settings) the phone.Symbian support true USB mass storage which it will work on any computer unlike BB10 which you need to install BlackBerry Link first before USB mass storage will work.I do love BB10 browser and the keyboard and the way BB10 is develop.If an app is crash or become slow,it will not affect the rest of the OS unlike symbian which most of the time if the app crash,the whole OS is affected and become slow until the app is close.
    Last edited by Traxxmy; 09-30-14 at 10:03 AM.
    WorldwideRemix and sroberto like this.
    09-30-14 09:34 AM
    When I threw my Q10 in the air and it landed face down on my driveway. This is what happened...
    Attachment 301796

But I replaced the keyboard, bezel, and screen so now it looks like this:
    Attachment 301797

I'm glad your Passport was okay. I would have died if my brand new phone shattered after the first few days!

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    Why would you throw it in the air?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 09:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    Because it was Thursday. Duh!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    09-30-14 11:06 AM
    Yes, but the passport has gg3. I think it's 2 on the Z30.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    My Z30 screen cracked within the first week I had it. To be honest, I had thrown it in my purse, with other items, then it was all squished together in one area, tightly packed (I'm assuming this is how it happened, as I did not notice right away). That night, I looked over on my nightstand and thought there was a hair on the corner of the screen, then realized, it was a hairline crack in the glass
    Luckily, it is only in the very upper right corner (almost a straight line from top edge to side edge) and does not affect the touch screen and only affects the viewable area of the right-most/highest signal indicator. (about 2mm in on top right and side right of screen). {since I'm looking to sell it now, I've ordered an OEM replacement screen for it}.

Oddly enough, I've only had touch screen smart phones and have never cracked a screen before, so was not impressed with myself

This is what worries me about the Passport, as I haven't seen any slip cases for it yet... I don't like flip cases (feel they'd get in the way or feel bulky), but because it's so big, I'd feel safer knowing the screen was more protected when it's swimming around in my purse.
    09-30-14 11:07 AM
    Interesting...I dropped my z10 about 4 times. Slight wear and tear on the casing, but no damage. I dropped my z30 once...ONCE...and the top Centre of the screen shattered.

Replaced now. All is well. Was just happy for have my z10 still while I waited for the phone to be returned.

Posted via CB 10 on my Z30 (STA100-5) w 10.3.0.1154
    That's odd, my Z30 bounced out if my pocket at the football (soccer) whilst I was celebrating a goal so hit the ground screen face down with some force and not even a scratch bit of a scuff on the silver bit but nothing on the screen.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 11:20 AM
    Lol. You are very lucky indeed

Posted via CB10
    From what I've read so far he wasn't that lucky at all, the Passport is built like a tank and I'm happily looking forward to NOT put a case on it at all and poke fun at poeple when they freak out about it dropping, saying "relax, it's a BlackBerry, not a puss phone like..."

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 11:41 AM
    Phones somehow after being and used.. it will drop.. it's just a matter of time and when.. and when it happens.. I can still pick it up and type away..

That's the way to go BB..

So much for the review videos of how hard a sapphire glass can be and how they have spend money on building a better screen based on that.. this is their toughness..

WAIT A MINUTE.. IS THAT HOW FARKING APPLE manage to get its sales??

Hoping people to drop their new iPhone and spend money again buying another??

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 04:03 PM
    Ah, you didn't record it? The Passport first unofficial drop test. My heart would skip a few beats dropping it.
    09-30-14 04:14 PM
    Phones somehow after being and used.. it will drop.. it's just a matter of time and when.. and when it happens.. I can still pick it up and type away..

That's the way to go BB..

So much for the review videos of how hard a sapphire glass can be and how they have spend money on building a better screen based on that.. this is their toughness..

WAIT A MINUTE.. IS THAT HOW FARKING APPLE manage to get its sales??

Hoping people to drop their new iPhone and spend money again buying another??

Posted via CB10
    No, not exactly but they indeed use sensitive material like aluminum to limit the market for used devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 04:50 PM
    I expect this phone will set a new record in regards to drop tests and the like. Who else is stronger than stainless steel and its a BB. Who can beat that?
    09-30-14 04:53 PM
    Thanks for your tips. Agree N8 camera and fm transmitter were the best. And Nokia maps, yeah, in 8 years it never let me down; only once, instead of a tesco lotus shopping center it took me into a rubber plantation outside of the city, haha, but otherwise it was flawless and I love the custom voices, like surfer dude.

Also agree the big problem with symbian was always if an app became corrupted it could take down the whole phone. I think I have reinstalled symbian on my N8 at least four or five times in five four years due to apps getting buggy.

I hope someone will find a way to get Nokia Maps onto blackberry and make bb compatible with Linux.

My plan is to hold on with my N8 until Z50 is released and the bugs are out of it, then go for a Z 50. Passport is very cool but I think the Z50 will be better and the square screen thing, its just to difficult to predict how good it will be to use until after you have bought the phone and been with it for a while. The rectangular screen, I know it. It works for me. So I will wait.

And then, adios Microsoft.
    10-01-14 09:35 AM
    That's odd, my Z30 bounced out if my pocket at the football (soccer) whilst I was celebrating a goal so hit the ground screen face down with some force and not even a scratch bit of a scuff on the silver bit but nothing on the screen.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, to make it worse, I had the flip cover case on the phone as well and it landed facedown with the cover open. Just bad luck I guess.

Posted via CB 10 on my Z30 (STA100-5) w 10.3.0.1154
    10-01-14 10:05 AM
    Also agree the big problem with symbian was always if an app became corrupted it could take down the whole phone. I think I have reinstalled symbian on my N8 at least four or five times in five four years due to apps getting buggy.

I hope someone will find a way to get Nokia Maps onto blackberry and make bb compatible with Linux.
    I have my n8 for 4 years but never do a hard reset. Even though bad apps can affect the whole Os but a restart would usually clear any issue. It is unlikely that a bad app can have a permanent bad effect on the Os as app operate independently from Os.

Just a Nokia map on BlackBerry is useless. We need all the features like in a symbian map app but from what I see, it is mission impossible.

You do know that z50 is just rumour, not a planned device.

10-11-14 11:21 AM
    Survived.. thank the lord.

It was in my pocket, I walked into my stores area and reached in there. Pulled it out and BAM.. it hit the floor on the bottom right corner.

Mass panic set in.. I quickly scooped it up and I'm pleased to say. Not a mark on it.. nothing..
    PHEW..
    Good to know!

BlackBerry Passport - Built Ford Tough!

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    10-11-14 01:35 PM
    This bangs the question, is it water resistant?

Z10
    10-11-14 01:37 PM
    This bangs the question, is it water resistant?

Z10
    no.
    Just dropped my PP onto a concrete floor. It....-1413057529875.jpg

and this isn't mine, but what happens when you drop it on one of the top corners. get a case.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 06:43 PM
    D: OMG NOOOO! I feel SO bad for you! Please tell me you have device protection on it or something!!! RIP your Passport

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 06:46 PM
    D: OMG NOOOO! I feel SO bad for you! Please tell me you have device protection on it or something!!! RIP your Passport

Posted via CB10
    I said in my post that that's not my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 07:05 PM
    Ah my bad! I was not in the best state of mind when I read that and the replied last night haha

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 08:24 AM
    Agree with you completely that N8 was the best. Like the 6700 Classic before it, it was soooo good and long lasting that they stopped making it because no one ever bought a new phone. my n8 was stolen a few months ago and I bought a new windows phone. It was horrible! and you have no options to back up directly to your pc if you use XP, you can only back up to "the cloud" so microsoft can steal all your data. I searched until I found a new in the box n8 (in peru of all places) and struggled to get my content and apps restored. Now you cannot Skpye on N8 and microsoft is killing off all the other apps for N8 like Linkedin, to force you to go to windows phones, so I am thinking of trying blackberry for the first time.

Could youhave share your experience changing from N8 to blackberry and answer a few of my most basic questions?

1. Given the Snowden leaks, how can blackberry say it is �secure� if it is running across a phone network like ATT or the user is installing Android apps that �report home� on your phone�s contents?

Thanks in advance
    Please, PLEASE research what BlackBerry customer service is like if this is a big thing for you. When I had my Z10 they were absolutely terrible.
    10-12-14 09:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    I have a habit of spinning my phone in my hand, so when I was doing that, I accidentally threw it in the air. Stupid, I know.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 10:04 AM
    Offline maps is so needed nowadays? Really?!? Data has gotten so cheap lately that it should be a non-issue. Having said that, there is an app with offline maps that isn't half bad at all.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 10:25 AM
    Offline maps is so needed nowadays? Really?!? Data has gotten so cheap lately that it should be a non-issue. Having said that, there is an app with offline maps that isn't half bad at all.

Posted via CB10
    What if you in the rural with no network. If you were in urban areas, why you even need gps in first place with all those signage available pointing to more correct directions. The poster want the features rich offline maps app like we have on Symbian devices with Drive and Map integrated with devices. If you ever own latest symbian devices and use the map apps, you will know what we mean.

10-12-14 10:39 AM
62 123