Maybe... or maybe BIS was a bottle neck and BlackBerry knew they could never handle all the traffic that users today are burning through.

The data farms they would have needed to expand, the bandwidth they wold have had to pay for. BIS on BB10 would have been way too costly for BlackBerry as data usages was changing from a few MB per users to several GB per user. I expect that those montly fees would have needed to go up to cover the extra costs associated with the trend to use more data. And BlackBerry knew they'd never be able to compete if their phones were slower and cost more to operate on a montly basis.

Besides most traffic today is already optimized... the little BIS could shave off of emails and documents is nothing compared to most of the content today.
    BIS revenue is why the founder Mike Lazardis tried convincing the carriers to not upgrade to 3G. The carriers never want to share revenue with anyone. What business ever does?

If BB could have maintained their control, they would have upgraded technology and found way to maintain BIS revenue.

Simply put, BIS was a short-term business model that BB maximized it's value for as long as possible. The founders knew it wasn't ever going to last. It's like BB was a person living off their beauty and living only in the present. Eventually, newer version comes along. LOL
    Carjackd likes this.
    03-07-18 09:11 AM
    BIS revenue is why the founder Mike Lazardis tried convincing the carriers to not upgrade to 3G. The carriers never want to share revenue with anyone. What business ever does?

If BB could have maintained their control, they would have upgraded technology and found way to maintain BIS revenue.

Simply put, BIS was a short-term business model that BB maximized it's value for as long as possible. The founders knew it wasn't ever going to last. It's like BB was a person living off their beauty and living only in the present. Eventually, newer version comes along. LOL
    They could have been facilitating the purchase of bb for Enterprise also for normal customers. It would be/have been a good income....

Posted via CB10
    03-07-18 10:06 AM
    They could have been facilitating the purchase of bb for Enterprise also for normal customers. It would be/have been a good income....

Posted via CB10
    How so?
    03-07-18 10:12 AM
    was a short-term business model
    In a way I kinda think that was all BlackBerry was to Mike and Jim. Clearly they didn't do much planning ahead and BBOS was never going to be the OS to bring a PC experience to a handheld device. But then why even go through the motions with buying QNX and talking about the future... was that just to give them time to cash out?
    03-07-18 11:19 AM
    How so?
    Well...a good income instead of few dollars from BIS.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-18 11:50 AM
    In a way I kinda think that was all BlackBerry was to Mike and Jim. Clearly they didn't do much planning ahead and BBOS was never going to be the OS to bring a PC experience to a handheld device. But then why even go through the motions with buying QNX and talking about the future... was that just to give them time to cash out?
    IOS rolled out 2007 and BB10 2013. Five complete years with couple months thrown in. Many times I've said that QNX/BB10 was just that, plausible deniabilty and buying time for share liquidation by the founders.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-07-18 11:54 AM
    Well...a good income instead of few dollars from BIS.

Posted via CB10
    BIS was never few dollars. It was a large source of revenue from the early days until 2013-2014.
    03-07-18 11:55 AM
    I was previously a Z10 owner and upgraded to a BlackBerry Passport yesterday

Posted via CB10
    Lucky you! BB10 is awesome!
    Qorax likes this.
    03-07-18 12:57 PM
    Congrats OP! Passport is most beautiful fluent device!
    Qorax and ratfinkstooley like this.
    03-07-18 03:56 PM
    I would-be loved if I could've got a white one or black and gold but I got plain black which is no big deal at least I got the phone I wanted in the end

BlackBerry Passport
    03-07-18 04:56 PM
    BIS was never few dollars. It was a large source of revenue from the early days until 2013-2014.
    I mean few dollars per person.... I used to pay around 36 euros per year with Wind in Italy. Before I had the operator "3" that was providing the customers BIS for free.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-18 09:10 PM
    Buying QNX was a great move on BlackBerry's part. It had been around in the automotive industry long before, and BB help expand its capabilities, presence, and depth into different industries other than automotive using the OS. I work on safety-critical systems and have relationships with real time operating system vendors as a function of my embedded systems work. QNX's offering is good for many reasons, from my experience.

Their OS is one of the few to have real-time adaptive scheduling for real time operating systems. A task scheduling system running on multiple cores can have different threads (tasks) scheduled at different controlled and sequenced times/durations on a processor, with the ability to change that sequences and timings on the fly. For safety critical systems like aerospace, high speed rail, and other systems where things have to be built so they can't go wrong, it makes a huge difference to have such capability at your hands. I have gotten to see QNX bring an Aston Martin DB11 to my workplace and show me a demo of running the transmission controls and the infotainment cluster, including an Android virtual machine, all on the same multicore processor - the safety-critical portion of the car controls coexisting with non-safety-critical portions.

QNX's security vulnerabilities have been slowly identified and fixed over the years. It is the BB10 software team that took the base QNX OS and hardened it to prevent privilege escalation for attackers in the first place. Those changes have gotten rolled into QNX's main offering that is safety-certified for high safety integrity level (SIL) standards across different industries. The security hardening comes out of years of trying to make their phone applications hack-proof.

I like the history of QNX as an embedded systems guy.
    valer466 and Jon Wiggy like this.
    03-08-18 01:27 AM
    Also
    Could someone recommend me a good case for this beast

BlackBerry Passport
    There is a recent thread on this: "BB Passport Cases Cover" https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13148508
    03-08-18 08:23 AM
    BB10 if it were fully developed could have generated money.

Posted via CB10
    What's not fully developed with it? Even now Windows Phone 10, or whatever they call it these days, is far buggier and less complete than BB10 ever was. It was pretty decent when it came out unless by "complete" you mean needs Netflix...

There are 2 problems:
    - Way too late compared to iPhone. Years headstart is too much to overcome when devices hit the "good enough" stage.
    - I'm not sure BlackBerry was even licensing BB10 at that point, so other phone makers had no choice but Android. Basically market got flooded with tons of Android phones and that sealed the deal. It takes time with the platform to see the advantages so by default almost everyone got a 'droid. If you didn't want iPhone you could choose from 1-2 relatively expensive BlackBerry's or 20 other Android phones, most much cheaper.

BTW, Android is not one single market. Even now pretty much only Samsung is making money. The others are losing money but only BlackBerry decided to cut their losses.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-18 04:48 PM
    Welcome to the loony asylum, blackberry pills are served at 8. In all seriousness enjoy, it's a great phone, somehow it's kept working for me in spite of the whatspp armaggedon etc, it's a great device for emails and pdfs.
    03-08-18 05:01 PM
    Samsung is only making money in the android world? Wow. I didn’t know that. I thought oneplus and google pixels were doing well.
    03-08-18 05:05 PM
    Samsung is only making money in the android world? Wow. I didn’t know that. I thought oneplus and google pixels were doing well.
    This hasn't been true in years.

https://www.strategyanalytics.com/st...its-in-q3-2016

I'm sure many smaller and mid-sized Android OEM's are also making money.
    03-08-18 07:32 PM
    This hasn't been true in years.

https://www.strategyanalytics.com/st...its-in-q3-2016

I'm sure many smaller and mid-sized Android OEM's are also making money.
    I guess the one and true money maker is Google himself!

Posted via CB10
    03-09-18 03:27 AM
43 12