tl;dr -- What DON'T you like about the Passport? Pointed question, no hate involved or intended.

I've been on a long journey, like many of you have been, with BlackBerry. I was a user of the 8130 Pearl for my first BlackBerry, coming from a Samsung i760 Windows device. I loved it, and went from there to an 8350i on Nextel. I fell immediately in love with the Curve's keyboard, even though I loved the keyboard of the Pearl as well. From there I went to the Storm, which I loved and hated for lack of WiFi, and then immediately to the Storm 2, which I loved and loved and loved AND in fact still have and turn on periodically.

From there I went to the Torch which was a dream machine to me. The Torch 2 is where I stopped, I never went to the Bold series. From there I disengaged with BlackBerry, moving to a Note 2, Note 3, S3, S4, HTC One M7, and M8, iPhones 4S and 5, and the Lumia series of Windows Phones in no particular order, trying to find something more modern that would still fit the bill. Nothing ever did.

I bought the Classic after hearing about it for the first time only days before release. I was so excited, and I absolutely loved the device. I chimed in on the specs war considering the notion that there weren't any issues with speed on native apps. Alas, there started to be some normal usage gaps in that department. I installed the Google Play Store, Google Music (I had the Music Pass at the time and I couldn't get Amazon Prime music to work right), and things in Android apps truly were abysmally slow. I got the constant notifications in my hub about how Play Services were required, which was irritating. I ended up returning the phone within the 30 day timeframe and got a full refund, switching to an LG G3 to tide me over until a "Classic 2" came out.

The entire time I've been eyeballing the Passport. I've watched reviews, I've followed forum threads, etc. What's prompting me right now to want to buy is the fact that even though things like Google Calendar exist, Outlook, etc, NOTHING has satisfied my organizational needs quite like BlackBerry has. Despite the fact that I'm piggybacking on all of those services in my common usage anyway, there's something about how BlackBerry Hub handles all that that is lacking everywhere else, and it's affecting my productivity and organization.

That said, I don't need sold on the Passport. It's a BlackBerry, and I'll like it. My question is, what do you DISLIKE about it that I should know up front?

I know that the issues with the Play Services notifications and whatnot will be present. That's a given. But with the improved specs I hear there's no noticeable lag with emulated apps.
    02-06-15 01:26 PM
    I love my Passport but I can tell you that if you are enslaved into the Google Services environment, you will probably be disappointed. Apps will work with some tinkering and work-arounds but it will not be the same experience as you would normally get with an android device. I have absolutely NO need for GS so it does not affect me in the least. I honestly have nothing to dislike about my Passport except for the fact that I get some random flickering on my screen which I hope will be corrected by an OS update. But you may have to make sacrifices or change your approach to phone useage to love this device.
    02-06-15 01:37 PM
    The camera leaves some to be desired (not as bad as some in here make it seem).

Android apps although noticeably better, still don't run close to Android speed and even less close to BlackBerry 10 native app smoothness.

That's all I don't like about mine.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 01:40 PM
    Besides the legging camera which can take great pictures when it wants, I really haven't figure out a thing that I dislike about the phone after 3 months of usage.
    02-06-15 01:40 PM
    I love my Passport but I can tell you that if you are enslaved into the Google Services environment, you will probably be disappointed. Apps will work with some tinkering and work-arounds but it will not be the same experience as you would normally get with an android device. I have absolutely NO need for GS so it does not affect me in the least. I honestly have nothing to dislike about my Passport except for the fact that I get some random flickering on my screen which I hope will be corrected by an OS update. But you may have to make sacrifices or change your approach to phone useage to love this device.
    I want to say that I'm not "enslaved" to them. The primary reason for using Android-based apps was for Google Play Music, as I had the Music Pass at the time (nolonger do, I've Amazon Prime now, by accident, funny story) and my Motorola 360, which hasn't been worn in weeks because... let's face it, it's not entirely useful to me, even though it looks awesome. I never did find a way to get Amazon Prime content delivered to my BlackBerry, though I confess to not really spending enough time trying to figure that out, either. Even on Android it's a pain in the *** to get music from Prime.
    02-06-15 01:42 PM
    I want to say that I'm not "enslaved" to them. The primary reason for using Android-based apps was for Google Play Music, as I had the Music Pass at the time (nolonger do, I've Amazon Prime now, by accident, funny story) and my Motorola 360, which hasn't been worn in weeks because... let's face it, it's not entirely useful to me, even though it looks awesome. I never did find a way to get Amazon Prime content delivered to my BlackBerry, though I confess to not really spending enough time trying to figure that out, either. Even on Android it's a pain in the *** to get music from Prime.
    Then by all means--give the Passport a try--I think you will enjoy it. IMHO the only drawback to moving to a BB10 device is that they may be entrenched into an iOS or Android ecosystem. If you are willing to give BB another fair try and are willing to give the Passport 2 full weeks of use you will (90% sure) love this device.
    02-06-15 01:49 PM
    The camera is an issue. It really leaves a lot to be desired. Also, if using one hand is an absolute must, that may be an issue for those with small to average sized hands. For the most part, this is a two handed device.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    02-06-15 02:38 PM
    If these other guys didn't hammer it to you already. The camera is above average, the camera software left something to be desired and drags the whole picture taking experience down.
    I just take video and take snaps during.

Watching video on it is not ideal but the good news is when you output it to TV you can send video full screen to TV.
    02-06-15 02:42 PM
    Every phone and OS has it's qualms. I really love the passport for its quality and HUB. No dislikes yet and I really loved android and playing around with it. Rooting devices and customising to the max.

Passport is just so different. Either you love it or you hate it. I love every thing. Don't even mind the lack of apps.

If you change you will make a good decision.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 02:50 PM
    It's actually difficult to really find something I dislike, but I'll try.

Sometimes, the form factor is obviously inconvenient. It's something you know before you buy the Passport but it can be annoying at times. Especially the fact that one handed use is impossible. Of course the positive side about the size is the enormous work space you get. I've never enjoyed browsing the Internet so much on any other device.

Then, the keyboard is different. This is not something I dislike, in fact the keyboard is great, but it's something you have to know. The keyboard has a very flat learning curve, meaning it will take time to get really proficient, and not just two days. In the beginning this can be a little frustrating, especially since you have some experience with legacy devices. I advise you to take your time to adapt.

At last, the app situation, as it was already brought by you, is still not convincing. If you're a person who depends a lot on apps, you're gonna have a bad time. Yes, Android apps do run on the Passport but it happens too often that they are laggy or even crash. The square screen adds to the issue because a lot of Android apps aren't intended for this format. And with google play services... it's the same old story. Personally I avoid Android apps wherever possible and since I don't use too many apps anyways, that's been an acceptable way for me to go.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 03:05 PM
    I will agree with what others have said. Camera could be better but it serves ok for me. Absolutely not being able to use the phone one handed sometimes is a pain, but I get by ok. Even though the android apps run better on this than any BlackBerry I have ever had, there is still a lot of room for improvement. As more and more apps add the need for Google services I'm afraid the app situation may turn against BlackBerry in the future.

I have also had the flickering of the screen here and there but only with leaks. It was not there on the official build the phone came with. These few issues for me do not outweigh the positives though. I love the keyboard and the hub. I don't use too many android apps so the app situation doesn't really bother me at this point. I use Amazon prime and Beats for music and both apps run great on the phone from Snap. Having had the phone since the day after launch I would still highly recommend it.

Passport on AT&T
    02-06-15 03:25 PM
    On the app situation, fortunately native apps have come a long way since the Z10 launch (I may have forgotten to add that I owned a Z10 and Z30). I remember trying to get Instagram working and found a paid app on BBW that was easier to use than the Android app. The only two I haven't really had an easy time rectifying was Google Play Music, but with Amazon Prime that shouldn't be a problem. It was an issue before because the Prime app didn't seem to ever want to successfully download/cache/play music, though I never understood why.

Other than that, I had good native replacements for Reddit, Twitter, Facebook (the native app is okay, though it leaves much to be desired)... off the top of my head I never found a replacement for Google+ or Buffer, but I can live without them...
    02-06-15 03:27 PM
    I don't like the keyboard or form factor as its too wide. There is no more typing without looking down at what you're doing. The camera has a delayed focus so most of your pics of anything moving (kids, pets, the important stuff), will come out blurry. The keyboard cursor will freak out on you if typing outside in cold or windy weather, making it impossible for you to compose a text or email. If on a call you must make sure your keypad on the screen is 'hidden' or your face will mash the buttons non stop. Other than that, it's got a nice screen and the OS is super quick. No lags.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Vintage123; 02-06-15 at 04:27 PM.
    02-06-15 03:47 PM
    TLDR response: Hardware wise, nothing really. The camera is a sore spot for me, but I wouldn't discount the whole phone on it. The keyboard has been great, I had no problems adapting to it despite always having full touch phones. I can type on it without looking rather easily, in fact I just realized one day I wasn't looking. And, the best part for me is the large screen, it is great for consuming info. Personally, I've had no issues with the size. Software wise you won't find anything much different than the other BB10 phones. It is faster though.
    02-06-15 05:12 PM
    Nothing.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 05:32 PM
    I'm with you OP. Before I bought the Passport, immersed myself reading all these forums here of what problems they encountered in the device. I felt some fear plunging in because of a variety of mishaps in the hardware and even the OS. But what made me still buy it is that MANY posters here were also happy with their device! And personally, from the pictures and videos I've seen, I really like the form factor of the Passport. It is actually a head turner, bec it's unique. And because it's unique in a lot of ways, you need a lot of adaptation from yourself (and people around you making harsh comments).

When I finally bought PP, it took a long time for me checking the device first. I even made a list of things to check (maybe because I'm a physician! Haha) from the hardware to the OS, so I can send it back immediately for replacement. Luckily, there's none!

As a final word, I love everything about my Passport. I'm not into a lot of apps even Android, so I don't feel bad about that. What matters to me are the hub and the power in communication and getting things done using this device!

Posted via my Pretty WhiteBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    02-06-15 06:18 PM
    Nice try.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243
    02-06-15 06:27 PM
    Besides the legging camera which can take great pictures when it wants, I really haven't figure out a thing that I dislike about the phone after 3 months of usage.
    What is a legging camera?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 08:20 PM
    There isn't really anything to complain about. The only problem with the camera is slow focus speed, so if you can live with that and learn to manually focus then the camera takes lovely photos.

Hmmm, what else...I love the screen, the keyboard (so good to type on), the performance, the gobsmackingly good battery, the openness (not to be confused with security), ah yes the security. Still trying to think of something bad.

I suppose not every android app works. I was looking at a Tv dongle, but the android runtime doesn't support low level hardware (eg USB drivers). The fact that we can still run android apps is amazing.

So all in all, a faster focusing camera and it would be perfect!

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 09:14 PM
    Love this phone. I had a long list of Blackberries and other phones. Most recently my path was 9790 - Q10-Passport.

I am way more productive with this phone. Shortly after getting it I was typing without looking at the keyboard, as I am right now.

Fast, no lag, brilliant device.

What don't I like? The camera focus drives me nuts. Video is fine. Pictures are beautiful when taking still shots, but can't take motion shots. Pretty sure they will fix this with software.

You won't be disappointed but you will need to live with it for at least a month to start to appreciate its differences and your thumbs will have a learning curve on the keys. But once you settle in, you will fly.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 09:30 PM
    Lack of properly scaled apps.

Posted via Passport.
    02-06-15 09:41 PM
    That said, I don't need sold on the Passport. It's a BlackBerry, and I'll like it. My question is, what do you DISLIKE about it that I should know up front?
    The slow focusing camera
    02-06-15 11:05 PM
    I love the no hesitation immediacy of BlackBerry devices like the 9900 and q10.

Passport is a nice looking device but it conceded immediacy to be diff. Too diff. Returned mine asap. Q10 is best to date.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 11:16 PM
    I love the no hesitation immediacy of BlackBerry devices like the 9900 and q10.

Passport is a nice looking device but it conceded immediacy to be diff. Too diff. Returned mine asap. Q10 is best to date.

Posted via CB10
    What exactly do you mean by "immediacy"? I'm sure the 9900's hourglass helps keep things at a more human pace. I'm also sure having to scroll the Q10's minuscule screen three times to read a few lines of text that fit in the Passport's helps keep things at a more human focus.

Or maybe you just mean that it's easier to pull the aforementioned devices from your pockets, or hold them more easily one-handed while grabbing onto the subway pole, or perhaps you're one of those that prefer to drive and type one handed the other hand free to hold that smoke, hotdog or hamburger,... yum.

Anyway,.. there are definitely advantages to the 9900/Q10's smaller size. But as for "no hesitation immediacy" over the Passport,.. eh I don't know.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 06:53 AM
    This is easily the best BlackBerry I have had. My two grumbles: (1) I would like a few apps available now only from Google play, and (2) I can't access my intranet through VPN.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 07:08 AM