04-01-15 06:22 AM
67 123
tools
    And people here said that no one would buy the passport cause the specs weren't good enough

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 10:11 AM
    Well the Classic is way cheaper than the Passport. For the same reason the Honda Civic outsells the Honda Accord at about the same ratio (well here in Canada anyway).

I had the same dilemma when deciding to go with BB. Do I go with the Passport at $250 (at the time) or the Classic at $50. But never having owned the old BlackBerries, the Classic held no nostalgic influences over me. Plus I have always gone for the cheapie phones and wanted for once to own a top-dog device. And with the Passport, it's about as top dog as you can get...even among all the other manufacturers.
    03-30-15 10:15 AM
    I think this is most understandable and primarily due to one reason and that is form factor. I own a bad *** white Passport and marvel at its capabilities each day. That being said I still love the form factor of my Z30 (size wise) and use it often around the house. And for me at least believe the whole spec matter is completely overblown! My Z30 is blazingly quick on the latest OS so I would suspect the Classic runs very well as optioned. And 100 percent excellent for anyone upgrading from OS7 or another platform. (I have a couple high end Samsung Android tablets in our household with faster processors than my Z30 and I assure you they do NOT run as smoothly or quickly)

Z30-simply the best touch screen BlackBerry
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    03-30-15 10:26 AM
    Passport is a very innovative and unique device for a VERY VERY specific target market.

Posted via CB10
    No one has market share's data of that very very specific market
    03-30-15 10:30 AM
    Classic started showing up at FedEx Express last week replacing the bolds the managers are using. Before then, they were replacing the OS7 models with Z10's
    03-30-15 10:37 AM
    The OP is bringing attention to them as consumer devices. They're not.
    And the Classic price for bulk corporate purchases will be much less than the consumer price
    03-30-15 10:39 AM
    And he doesn't want to give the number of sold passports?
    Probably not worth mentioning.
    03-30-15 10:55 AM
    This could be why I can't seem to get anyone to buy my Passport on the Marketplace.
    03-30-15 11:09 AM
    No surprise to me. The Passport is a really strange looking phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 11:14 AM
    Just watched a video of an interview for John Chen, in which he mentioned that the ratio of the numbers of Classic and Passport sold are roughly 2:1.

And Classic has only just gotten into retail channel.

I would take my Passport over a Classic any day, but it looks like wee are the minority among minorities.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    I guess he is falling in the steps of his predecessor..since sales are really low(1.6 m devices in a quarter), selling a device twice another means squat.
    03-30-15 11:24 AM
    I guess he is falling in the steps of his predecessor..since sales are really low(1.6 m devices in a quarter), selling a device twice another means squat.
    I hear what you're saying with regards to the tech, but TH and JC are pretty different, including how they handle hardware. Chen's all about enterprise first, diversifying the business and being extremely cautious about how they handle hardware (to the chagrin of many).

Whether we agree or not with his strategy, it seems to me that his primary interest in hardware is going it in a "low exposure" way, with a primary focus on getting existing BlackBerry fleets to upgrade to low cost devices.

Sucks for me, who also wanted a high end touch screen but I'm not in charge with keeping the lights on and doors open and he is. Plus, I imagine the board is keeping a pretty tight leash on hardware experiments after the 1 billion dollar write down+7 quarter inventory clear-through that he inherited.
    03-30-15 12:41 PM
    I really think they need to do some advertising. Most the people I ve shown my PP to thinks it's cool. Lots of people don't even realize that BlackBerry is still around. I know it's expensive, but a little advertising might bring back some brand awareness.

I've already had a coworker go buy a PP after seeing mine, and my wife is going to return to BlackBerry when her current contract runs out. Spend some of the money in the bank on advertising. There's easily a segment of the population on apple and samsung burnout. JMHO

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-30-15 01:09 PM
    And he doesn't want to give the number of sold passports?
    You'll be waiting a long time for this. BlackBerry has almost never given out individual device numbers with the exception of the first quarter of the Z10 launching. Neither do any of their competitors. For example, try to get Apple to break out the % of iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, 6 and 6 plus when they give iPhone numbers. Guess it's not a GAAP required thing, however interesting it may be.
    03-30-15 01:26 PM
    ....I would take my Passport over a Classic any day, but it looks like wee are the minority among minorities...
    Hmm, I would think it is us Z30 owners being the True Minority.

stk
    03-30-15 02:01 PM
    Woop woop for the Classic Master Race!

Take your hands off me you Dirty Passport Peasants!

(I kid, I kid)
    03-30-15 02:12 PM
    Hopefully this justifies a Classic 2 to be made this year.
    DarkJoker33 and Mack Gans like this.
    03-30-15 02:19 PM
    Hopefully this justifies a Classic 2 to be made this year.
    Well with the slider... I'm not sure. I would much prefer that provided it is still single hand friendly.

Though I did vow to keep my phones on a 4 year replacement cycle.
    03-30-15 02:38 PM
    If Verizon offered the Passport, maybe the ratio would be 2:1.2
    03-30-15 03:14 PM
    I have both. I use my Passport as my main phone and use the rest of my BlackBerry 10's over wifi.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 03:44 PM
    You look back historically, you'd probably find the Curve series was one of the best selling BB lines because they put affordable phones in the hands of everyday Jane and Joe. The higher end devices went to the more discerning users, the power users, and those who refused to compromise.
    RoseBud68 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    03-30-15 03:52 PM
    I think Chen is speaking about both consumer and corporate markets. For instance in my workplace I have seen loads of classics being used by senior members, however no Passports except for myself and one of my Colleagues.
    Be prepared to be promoted!!!
    03-30-15 05:30 PM
    very true, the curves were far more common in the past as well.

the passport is a fantastic device though and I find ti to be so much better compared to a classic
    but the classic is a great Blackberry as well.

Glad to see Blackberry is doing better now!
    03-30-15 05:56 PM
    Just imagine if Classic still had BIS for consumers, it would be 4-1 lol
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    03-30-15 06:20 PM
    I would dare to say that both could complement each other. The classic for situations where portability and risk of loss might be a concern (sports, trekking, traveling, etc. ) and the Passport for work and more work. If I could I would get a classic, however the specs lag too much behind the Passport.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    I plan on getting a cheap Classic - probably used - to have as a backup phone for when I go out to a theme park or beach or something and don't want to risk damaging my wonderful Passport.
    03-30-15 07:06 PM
    Passport gives the higher margin it was mentioned as the reason for this quarters higher margins on hardware sales which was a huge plus and unknown and unexpected to analysts - especially the hater kind (shorties).
    The Snapdragon processor in the Classic was written down and could cost as little as $0.00 when calculating margins.
    03-30-15 07:38 PM
67 123