For data yes. Not for calls. BB10 uses gsm (3G) for calls.
    Is this the same for Canada?

My bb10 devices all say LTE even during a call.
    12-31-20 01:53 PM
    Is this the same for Canada?

My bb10 devices all say LTE even during a call.
    Yes, it is true for Canada as well.
    12-31-20 01:54 PM
    OK....what is it then? And how does it precisely affect full use of BB10 devices?
    When 3G shuts down, no more phone calls or texting SMS. For texting MMS like pictures, uses data so maybe but no guarantee. For email and internet, you’re ok for 4GLTE only but no 3G data. I’m not sure what 2G voice or data you might still have in Greece but here I think it’s been gone.
    12-31-20 01:54 PM
    OK....what is it then? And how does it precisely affect full use of BB10 devices?
    As I told you above, with your particular phone, if you have 2G on your carrier, VoLTE is just an addition - it facilitates better sound quality during calls compared to 2G. Problem is when you have neither 2G nor 3G - this will happen in the USA in the near future, but it is not the case for now in the EU (I think on the European continent only Switzerland shut down the 2G service)
    12-31-20 01:55 PM
    When 3G shuts down, no more phone calls or texting SMS. For texting MMS like pictures, uses data so maybe but no guarantee. For email and internet, you’re ok for 4GLTE only but no 3G data. I’m not sure what 2G voice or data you might still have in Greece but here I think it’s been gone.
    For now the 2G spectrum will be retained in much of Europe - reason being mostly the prevalence of M2M/IOT devices which use 2G. For example only in my country, public transport vehicle trackers, cash registers connected to the tax office over GPRS, motorway/highway emergency phones, etc. etc.
    Saint300 said that in Greece as well, 2G will be retained for the time being. For the time 2G is shutdown (about or after 2025 in most European countries), BB10 phones will be unusable anyway.
    12-31-20 01:59 PM
    For now the 2G spectrum will be retained in much of Europe - reason being mostly the prevalence of M2M/IOT devices which use 2G. For example only in my country, public transport vehicle trackers, cash registers connected to the tax office over GPRS, motorway/highway emergency phones, etc. etc.
    Saint300 said that in Greece as well, 2G will be retained for the time being. For the time 2G is shutdown (about or after 2025 in most European countries), BB10 phones will be unusable anyway.
    Much of the same was said here in USA for same reasons with 4G/LTE rollout but it happened far more quicker than expected. All those vendors of 2G equipment were happy to find a new excuse to make the ancillary customers upgrade their equipment too.
    12-31-20 02:20 PM
    BlackBerry terminating services 4 Jan 2022 so enjoy one more year.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    FSL KHAN...!
    THANK YOU for alerting me that the service termination is in 2022 and NOT in 2021.
    Whew!
    I either mis-heard a GALAXY SALES PERSON or I was mis-lead by him - walking away believing the termination date was just FOUR (4) days away from today (December 31, 2020).

THEN, to quickly try to sort out which alternate TELEPHONE to BUY before January 4 2021.

I will look forward to the new ONWARD MOBILITY BB Phone!
    Thank you ... everyone for the update .
    the_boon likes this.
    12-31-20 07:11 PM
    I wonder what 2G coverage maps look like.... I remember 3G being a big improvement for coverage.

Some still offering 2G, only do so for IoT devices.... they don't support smartphones using just 2G. Folks can see what they can get away with when 3G is removed, but they should have a backup plan in place.
    01-04-21 07:29 AM
    I wonder what 2G coverage maps look like.... I remember 3G being a big improvement for coverage.

Some still offering 2G, only do so for IoT devices.... they don't support smartphones using just 2G. Folks can see what they can get away with when 3G is removed, but they should have a backup plan in place.
    Dont know about Greece, but in my country the 2G coverage is excellent - aside from very isolated places, like in the mountains, or in the thick of the forest, at any one point you get the 2G signal of at least one provider/carrier. Of course this is easier in a small country (it is roughly the size of Indiana and somewhat smaller than Virginia - at least according to CIA World Factbook
    01-04-21 04:24 PM
    I think, when 3G stops 2021, then in Germany it will be possible:
    Data over 4G as before.
    Voice over 2G, this will be going on, and coverage is good.
    01-11-21 06:23 PM
    I think, when 3G stops 2021, then in Germany it will be possible:
    Data over 4G as before.
    Voice over 2G, this will be going on, and coverage is good.
    Does the Passport support voice on 2G?
    01-11-21 09:37 PM
    On my Passport i telephone often on 2G, because the coverage of 3G is substituded step by step with 5G and therefore today not good.
    P.S.: Provider is Telefonica-O2 in Germany!
    Last edited by Thomas Jo; 01-12-21 at 05:35 PM. Reason: P.S.
    01-12-21 02:50 AM
    On my Passport i telephone often on 2G, because the coverage of 3G is substituded step by step with 5G and therefore today not good.
    This is interesting. I had no idea 2G had so many issues.
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/0...doesnt-have-be
    01-12-21 01:35 PM
    This is interesting. I had no idea 2G had so many issues.
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/0...doesnt-have-be
    What part of the world is that article talking about? My Galaxy S9 has a setting to turn off "Allow 2G service" . It's off on my phone. But then AT&T shut down their 2G service some time ago.
    01-12-21 01:43 PM
    BlackBerry terminating services 4 Jan 2022 so enjoy one more year.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    So this explains why I can still send/receive email on my Bold 9780 in 2021. So obviously BIS is still available to some users. I live in Canada and am currently with Rogers. I was able to create email accounts and send/receive it on my Bold 9780 which is running Blackberry 6.0 OS. Is any other carrier in Canada (or the USA) still providing BIS service to its customers?
    05-30-21 05:16 PM
    So this explains why I can still send/receive email on my Bold 9780 in 2021. So obviously BIS is still available to some users. I live in Canada and am currently with Rogers. I was able to create email accounts and send/receive it on my Bold 9780 which is running Blackberry 6.0 OS. Is any other carrier in Canada (or the USA) still providing BIS service to its customers?
    AT&T for existing customers only in the US.
    05-30-21 05:18 PM
    Might buy a key2 128gb on ebay but prices shot up...

Posted via CB10
    06-19-21 11:41 PM
    If you're okay running a KEY2 or LE for about half a year whose security patches ended in late 2020 (November/December) then yeah they're still solid options if you want a keyboard.

I guess you could also keep using the Passport for a few more months of you switch to AT&T since it seems that they'll be the only ones in the US still keeping 3G around in 2021.
    The BBF 100-2 received an update on May 19 so not long ago. As long as the device is receiving security patches your data is not as likely to be compromised. The LE is the one that hasn't seen a patch since 2020, but the Key 2 is still getting patches. If you could afford the Key 2 then I'd do it so that you're up to date mostly and still on a BlackBerry until the OnwardMobility one comes out. I'm running on the KeyONE AT&T Black Edition still and I'm not too worried about it. I really wish BlackBerry OS 10 wasn't going to die because I'd love me a Passport Silver Edition or a classic.
    06-20-21 05:01 AM
43 12