I don't think you can do that its not your to sell when on contract pricing.? and I think the phone has to be on a line before they we sell it to you.
    They don't have to take it out of the box if you don't want them too. It's just a sim card, and it's already in the phone. The SIM # that they need is on the iphone box. Anytime I sold an iphone the # was their. The only reason I would pull the phone out was to introduce the customer to its features. No other reason than that. They can activate it and never open the box! SO before the OP sells the iphone, he buys a sim card and activates it. Puts it in his passport and now the iphone SIM is worthless. When the OP sells it, the person he sells it to just has to swap out the sim card to their own.

Posted via CB Q10 or 9000
    10-30-14 07:37 AM
    Won't the iPhone be locked until you fulfill the contract term?
    10-30-14 07:51 AM
    Yep, that's how the new plans work. I am still on the old grandfathered traditional single-device only post-paid plans that do not have any "access charge" for the phone at all. So for me that upgrade and sell plan would actually work, lol.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    I am still on grandfathered unlimited as well. You are probably correct in that you cannot remove the hidden phone subsidy in our old plans. So your plan is a good one. Now I have a plan on how to get a new passport.
    10-30-14 08:07 AM
    Won't the iPhone be locked until you fulfill the contract term?
    Locked? How do you mean? To the carrier or the Sim? Answer is no to either of them. You can get an Unlock code from a carrier to use the device worldwide. As for the SIM, correction, I'm 99.9% sure they don't SIM lock a device. Just swap our your own and you're good. My Note 3 wasn't SIM locked. Sold it and never heard from the buyer again.

10-30-14 08:35 AM
    They don't have to take it out of the box if you don't want them too. It's just a sim card, and it's already in the phone. The SIM # that they need is on the iphone box. Anytime I sold an iphone the # was their. The only reason I would pull the phone out was to introduce the customer to its features. No other reason than that. They can activate it and never open the box! SO before the OP sells the iphone, he buys a sim card and activates it. Puts it in his passport and now the iphone SIM is worthless. When the OP sells it, the person he sells it to just has to swap out the sim card to their own.

You sound like you work or used to work for a carrier. So, WTF is activation ? Why if I buy a phone from the carrier do they charge me 36 bucks to pull the sim out of my old phone and stick it into a new one, yet if I buy directly from BB or whomever, I can just pop my sim in there without being shaken down ? I can even ask for a new sim, no charge.

Locked? How do you mean? To the carrier or the Sim? Answer is no to either of them. You can get an Unlock code from a carrier to use the device worldwide. As for the SIM, correction, I'm 99.9% sure they don't SIM lock a device. Just swap our your own and you're good. My Note 3 wasn't SIM locked. Sold it and never heard from the buyer again.

It is my understanding that you must have the phone for six months before they will unlock it, and then it's only on a case by case basis, and you must be in good standing. (I have tried to do stuff in the past! And I have been told I can't because my bill hasn't been paid for the month yet, even though the due date is two to three weeks). So if I wasn't patient and bought his iPhone from him, is it still tied to his contract ? If I want to go overseas next month or use a different carrier are they going to unlock it ?

To answer your question, it's the device that's locked, not the sim. I had to get ATT to unlock an old BB to use on a different network.

Personally I wouldn't touch a brand new device that was carrier locked with a ten foot pole.
    10-30-14 09:12 AM
    You sound like you work or used to work for a carrier. So, WTF is activation ? Why if I buy a phone from the carrier do they charge me 36 bucks to pull the sim out of my old phone and stick it into a new one, yet if I buy directly from BB or whomever, I can just pop my sim in there without being shaken down ? I can even ask for a new sim, no charge.

It is my understanding that you must have the phone for six months before they will unlock it, and then it's only on a case by case basis, and you must be in good standing. (I have tried to do stuff in the past! And I have been told I can't because my bill hasn't been paid for the month yet, even though the due date is two to three weeks). So if I wasn't patient and bought his iPhone from him, is it still tied to his contract ? If I want to go overseas next month or use a different carrier are they going to unlock it ?

To answer your question, it's the device that's locked, not the sim. I had to get ATT to unlock an old BB to use on a different network.

Personally I wouldn't touch a brand new device that was carrier locked with a ten foot pole.
    There are plenty of people on AT&T who want the new iPhone, and they are willing to pay as much as any one else. Just because you wouldn't buy a locked device doesn't mean they will not sell. Like for me, buying an unlocked phone or a phone locked to AT&T makes no difference since both would work for me. I've sold phones both locked and unlocked, and unlocked phones sell faster since they appeal to a larger market, but the locked ones will sell at almost the same price as well. If there is a big difference, just spend $25 - $30 to get an unlock code online...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-30-14 09:27 AM
    Have a question...I have a line that is ready for an upgrade on Verizon...if I get an iPhone to sell, it should be fine for anyone on Verizon who wants to just buy their phone outright? And as far as the fees go, when my contract is up, my plan does not go down any...any subsidy is just figured right into the monthly rate whether or not I actually have a device that is still be subsidized....if I go in and use the upgrade, my plan won't change a bit.
    10-30-14 09:29 AM

Ok..here we go. So. Activation fee is a fee the carrier charges because they can. Because they know most customers won't fight the charge. They blindly pay the fee because they don't want anything coming between them and their brand new shiny smartphone. I've had customers before yell at me saying it wasn't fair and honestly, I don't think activation fees are fair at all. ATT doubled their activation fee from $18 to $36 in 2012.

Why does a carrier charge what seems to be a loyalty fee to the customer that's been using their services for so long. " Hey, thanks for staying with ATT, there's a $35 charge for YOU to stay LOYAL to US. Please and Thank you"

I would call a customer service representative personally and ask them to credit the customer the amount. They would fight to no end, with me, not the customer. The reps that the carrier salesman deal with are the rudest you could possibly imagine. Anyway, most of the time they would either credit the customer the activation fee or waive it, depending on the carrier. Same difference. Sometimes they wouldn't do either and the customer would change carriers on the spot. I sold T-mobile, ATT and Verizon Devices and Services at the time.

Why don't you have to pay an activation fee when you use your own personal device from outside ATT? Well that's simple, you're not upgrading with them. You're not signing a new contract. You are remaining on the same plan without an upgrade, without a new phone purchased from them or any further prorated charges to your account.

Now as for unlocking. I'm not a pro on this. You don't need ATT to unlock your device. There are several other websites that can do it for you for a fee. As long as that's done, the phone can be used anywhere on any GSM carrier. What I know for a fact is that if you buy an unlocked GSM device it is not locked to ANY contract. Contracts follow the SIM card. If I was to pull my SIM card out of my phone, it's a useless device. Other than when on Wifi. If you put your SIM card in my phone, now it's your phone number on my phone, your plan. It's not the phone attached to the plan, it's the SIM card.

I hope I answered your questions. Ask away if not. I like it

dbom likes this.
    10-30-14 09:36 AM

Unfortunately the new plans are not like that, you pay more per month for a so-called "access charge" that it's not really worth it anymore... I hope they don't do away with our old-fashioned plans, lol.
    That's been the source of all the confusion. All the "you won't make a profit" folks cite the new-ish AT&T plans. I looked some up, and the cost is absolutely ridiculous. I routinely use at least six gigs of data a month, and that would put my bill at about $170 on one of the "mobile share" plans or whatever they're called.

Fortunately, I've been a customer since the Cingular days so none of that applies to my plan, upgrades, etc.. Not yet, anyway. I'm sure sometime down the road they'll get rid of our "special" pricing, but not before I make a few bucks.
    10-30-14 12:35 PM
    Since you're on ATT Unlimited and that story just came out, you been getting throttled?
    It's hit or miss. The throttling cap, I believe, is set around 5 gigs. I've gone over that amount several times. Some months, it's infuriatingly slow, others, it doesn't appear to slow down.
    10-30-14 12:39 PM
    Are you sure you can do that?

Posted via CB10
    I do not see why not. I hadn't thought about doing that yet but in the past I have upgraded a line and used the phone on another line. (Same plan)

I actually used an upgrade on my corporate line to get a subsidized phone for my wife. I just swapped my wife's iPhone 5 simcard (personal account) into her new Q10 that I got on my corporate line. Worked out fine and it made her really happy that she didn't have to have the iPhone anymore.
    10-30-14 01:36 PM
    they are putting the IEMI on their network
    10-30-14 02:19 PM
    Awsesome!

Former 9900, Z10, and Z30 user and lover, but now Passport rocker!
    10-30-14 04:18 PM
    Maximum Trolling
    #yolo
    11-05-14 12:33 PM
64 123