No it won't. You'll still be paying the subsidy for that iPhone. But nice plan anyway.
    If you are on AT&T Next plan you are not subsidizing the cost of the upgrade, but if you are on the plan that offers the iPhone for 199 with a two year contract, you end up paying the subsidy back plus some...
    10-29-14 12:25 PM
    I am not disagreeing - in actuality I actually agree with the post that unless you move to a unsubsidized plan, you will still pay the subsidy.
    10-29-14 12:28 PM
    Same here, Bravo.
    10-29-14 12:30 PM
    No it won't. You'll still be paying the subsidy for that iPhone. But nice plan anyway.
    I guess an explanation is necessary.

Regarding the subsidy: The subsidy is part of AT&T's contract rates, regardless. Said subsidy charge will not increase because I upgraded to another device, even an iPhone. It's constant.

Now, this is how the Passport has saved me money.

I have the 450 minute (along with 3500 rollover minutes, which I'll probably never use), unlimited text, unlimited data. As I said, I've been with AT&T for a very long time. I have upgraded several times during my time with AT&T as my carrier, and my data plan is always "grandfathered" in, and isn't subject to the new terms of AT&T data plan restrictions.

My bill has always been approximately $100 dollars a month for my services. I have a corporate discount through my place of employment, which helps tremendously.

Part of my bill included the following:

Approximately 7 dollars for phone insurance, 20 dollars a month for my unlimited texting plan, and 10 dollars a month for my subscription to AT&T navigator (which I've always used since it's always been pretty dependable for me, being a Windows Phone person prior to buying the Passport) was part of that $100 dollars.

The phone insurance has been removed. The texting plan has been reduced from 20 to 10 dollars. AT&T Navigator has been removed. $7 + $10 + $10 = $27.

Upgrading to an iPhone will change nothing, as it won't change any of my talk/text/data plans. I won't be subscribing AT&T Navigator, and I won't be purchasing insurance.

Now, I could get an AT&T Go plan, but unlimited text, and unlimited LTE for about $70 - $75 bucks on AT&T's network is very much worth it to me.

I did however buy an insurance policy with SquareTrade for five bucks. So, I guess it's only saving me 20-25 bucks a month.

P.S.

To the naysayers, may I add "Booyakasha!"
    Last edited by RandomPrecision92; 10-29-14 at 03:59 PM.
    dbom likes this.
    10-29-14 01:47 PM
    ...so I can sell the iPhone on eBay.

My two year contract with AT&T expires here in the next couple of days, so I'm eligible for an upgrade. When I renew my contract, I'll purchase the iPhone at the discounted price, and sell it for a sweet, sweet profit.

I wonder how the AT&T reps will react when I tell them not to unbox the iPhone for activation.

I freakin' love my Passport.
    Okay...I'll admit it. You got me GOOD!!! As I clicked the link and waited for the page to load, I thought of about 3 or 4 mean/sarcastic things to say! ROFL!!
    10-29-14 04:08 PM
    I got off of the substidised plans, got five times the data, wife is now on a smart phone, and we saved a ton of money. To each their own.

But you do know that when you buy a phone at the sustadized price, that the phone is locked, and why the hell would someone want to buy a new iPhone at full price, but still have it locked ???
    homer1475 likes this.
    10-29-14 05:23 PM
    I got off of the substidised plans, got five times the data, wife is now on a smart phone, and we saved a ton of money. To each their own.

But you do know that when you buy a phone at the sustadized price, that the phone is locked, and why the hell would someone want to buy a new iPhone at full price, but still have it locked ???
    I had the same thoughts, but seeing these locked iphones sell for 800 to 1000 bucks on ebay, I figure it'll be worth it.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    10-29-14 05:30 PM
    Your title is so misleading, you should apply to write over at BGR.com

Posted via CB10
    AdamThatsIt and spikesolie like this.
    10-29-14 05:33 PM
    I saw what you did there!
    Me too. It was smooth...
    10-29-14 05:59 PM
    From ATT's site.
    Compatible device req'd. Savings compares Mobile Share Value smartphone access charge for a bring your own phone to one on a 2-yr agreement. Per smartphone savings is $25 on plans 10GB and larger and $15 for plans less than 10GB. Other charges & restr. apply. Activ. of new BYOD line with qual. svc. req'd. See offer req’s.
    So over the 2 years you would save $360 - $600. But if you buy a $199 subsidized phone you would be paying $799 over 2 years for your 16gb iphone 6. So you will need to sell it for at least that to make any profit.
    10-29-14 07:55 PM

Regarding the subsidy: The subsidy is part of AT&T's contract rates, regardless. Said subsidy charge will not increase because I upgraded to another device, even an iPhone. It's constant.

I have the 450 minute (along with 3500 rollover minutes, which I'll probably never use), unlimited text, unlimited data. As I said, I've been with AT&T for a very long time. I have upgraded several times during my time with AT&T as my carrier, and my data plan is always "grandfathered" in, and isn't subject to the new terms of AT&T data plan restrictions.

My bill has always been approximately $100 dollars a month for my services. I have a corporate discount through my place of employment, which helps tremendously.

Approximately 7 dollars for phone insurance, 20 dollars a month for my unlimited texting plan, and 10 dollars a month for my subscription to AT&T navigator (which I've always used since it's always been pretty dependable for me, being a Windows Phone person prior to buying the Passport) was part of that $100 dollars.

The phone insurance has been removed. The texting plan has been reduced from 20 to 10 dollars. AT&T Navigator has been removed. $7 + $10 + $10 = $27.

Upgrading to an iPhone will change nothing, as it won't change any of my talk/text/data plans. I won't be subscribing AT&T Navigator, and I won't be purchasing insurance.

Now, I could get an AT&T Go plan, but unlimited text, and unlimited LTE for about $70 - $75 bucks on AT&T's network is very much worth it to me.

I did however buy an insurance policy with SquareTrade for five bucks. So, I guess it's only saving me 20-25 bucks a month.

P.S.

If you move to a Go plan you have to pay the early termination fee which is $350. You pay $199 + tax and $36 activation fee so all you make is $20-30..
    10-29-14 08:10 PM
    From ATT's site. So over the 2 years you would save $360 - $600. But if you buy a $199 subsidized phone you would be paying $799 over 2 years for your 16gb iphone 6. So you will need to sell it for at least that to make any profit.
    Once again. The new data plan requirements/restrictions don't apply to my account, as I have a granfathered in unlimited data plan. I've been with Cingular/AT&T going on ten years. In fact, I was told that my plan(s) are no longer offered by AT&T to new(er) customers.

I will be paying about $75 monthly (which includes a subsidy, as do all AT&T 2 year contracts) for 450 minutes (with 3500 rollover minutes I've accumulated), unlimited texting, and unlimited data.

This has been confirmed with AT&T customer service.
    Last edited by RandomPrecision92; 10-29-14 at 08:30 PM.
    10-29-14 08:11 PM
    seriously hate these type of click and bait threads. i came here sincerely with the intention of trying to convert you back only to be trolled by you. might as well link a rick roll video too
    10-29-14 11:13 PM
    seriously hate these type of click and bait threads. i came here sincerely with the intention of trying to convert you back only to be trolled by you. might as well link a rick roll video too
    I'm truly sorry that you are oh so indignant regarding your intentions to convert someone who you believed to be misguided in their phone choice, which is of course, the most important, and gravely serious of pursuits....right up there with ending world hunger, and curing deadly diseases.

You are a beacon of altruism.

In your honor:

Last edited by RandomPrecision92; 10-29-14 at 11:38 PM.
    10-29-14 11:28 PM
    Lol clever!

May I see your Passport please?
    10-30-14 12:16 AM
    Brilliant insult. :-)))

May I see your Passport please?
    10-30-14 12:19 AM
    I like that sly word play move bro lol.......waiting for mines.
    10-30-14 01:12 AM
    Dude, I think you are mistaken about a great many things. Your bill was reduced because you brought your own device (Passport). When you purchase the iPhone at a discounted price on contract you will lose that monthly discount, $25 per month. Over a 2 year period that amounts to $600 plus the initial $200 you paid. Not so sure you will come out ahead. Read the fine print:
    ** For plans 10GB or higher, AT&T customers with smartphones on 2-year wireless agreements prior to February 2, 2014, are eligible for the $15/mo. access charge. For plans 2GB to 6GB, AT&T customers with smartphones on 2-year wireless agreements prior to March 9, 2014, are eligible for the $25/mo. access charge. If upgrading to a smartphone on a 2-year wireless contract you will lose this discounted pricing. To receive this monthly discount, upgrade with AT&T Next or pay the full purchase price for your new smartphone.
    Yep, that's how the new plans work. I am still on the old grandfathered traditional single-device only post-paid plans that do not have any "access charge" for the phone at all. So for me that upgrade and sell plan would actually work, lol.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-30-14 01:51 AM
    I was trying to understand the logic of this. You will get a discounted iPhone, but you will pay it all back through the term of the contract - and possibly even more. US carriers now have lower pricing when you purchase your handset outright. It's not like it used to be.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, kind of sucks. I hope they don't force me from my old-style plan that doesn't do that...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-30-14 01:53 AM

P.S.

You have almost the same thing I have. After all of the taxes and fees, I pay about $85. I also have the 450 minute talk plan that costs $40, and honestly, I don't care that it isn't unlimited because I've NEVER gone over the 450 minutes in a month since it also have free mobile to mobile, and 99% of my calls are to other mobiles, so I barely ever use any minutes at all, and they roll over (even though they eventually expire) so I always have a few THOUSAND rollover minutes sitting there waiting to be used in case I miraculously go over the 450 minutes one month. I also have the $20 unlimited texting plan. I don't think I can go down to the $10 one, I know I've sent more texts than that plan provides. And the unlimited data is like $30. I don't have insurance or use AT&T navigator. So that adds up to $95, and after my discount and taxes and fees it comes out to just above $85 a month. Not too bad I think. And you're right, whether it was with my own unlocked phone or if I "upgraded" to a subsidized phone, the monthly bill stays exactly the same. So there a subsidized phone is really a subsidized phone.

Unfortunately the new plans are not like that, you pay more per month for a so-called "access charge" that it's not really worth it anymore... I hope they don't do away with our old-fashioned plans, lol.
    10-30-14 02:10 AM
    I was thinking the same, but i ended my contract instead
    10-30-14 03:00 AM
    ...so I can sell the iPhone on eBay.

My two year contract with AT&T expires here in the next couple of days, so I'm eligible for an upgrade. When I renew my contract, I'll purchase the iPhone at the discounted price, and sell it for a sweet, sweet profit.

I wonder how the AT&T reps will react when I tell them not to unbox the iPhone for activation.

I freakin' love my Passport.
    Of course. iPhones are for trading while BlackBerry are for using. I always follow this rule, too.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 05:11 AM
    I'm truly sorry that you are oh so indignant regarding your intentions to convert someone who you believed to be misguided in their phone choice, which is of course, the most important, and gravely serious of pursuits....right up there with ending world hunger, and curing deadly diseases.

You are a beacon of altruism.

In your honor:

LMFAO

Posted via CB Q10 or 9000
    10-30-14 06:14 AM
    Since you're on ATT Unlimited and that story just came out, you been getting throttled?
    10-30-14 06:34 AM
    I don't think you can do that its not your to sell when on contract pricing.? and I think the phone has to be on a line before they we sell it to you.
    10-30-14 07:04 AM
64 123