Oh hi! Just posting this here so that I don't miss the fun! Don't mind me! Going to grab pop corn, anybody wants anything?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-18 11:15 AM
    I think the concept is right, but unfortunately it can't be true.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-18 12:22 PM
    One can only dream of it.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-18 12:25 PM
    I think blackberry announced they are software company. So it's not a problem they can upgrade android core to 9.0 for bb10. My meanings is bb10 platform but can running Android 9.0. Is that possible? Let's discuss this topic and feedback to BlackBerry software team.

Blackberry Passport silver edit 10.3.3 2137

It's an old dream... I remember when it was could BlackBerry install Android 5.0 on BB10. And that might have actually helped to sell some phones.

Did you see how long it took them to get Android 8 out for the Android phones, and it still needed more work.

BB10 is an EOL product, they aren't spending anything they don't have to on it at this point. There is no reason to do it, and lot's of reasons not to.
    09-25-18 01:27 PM
    It's an old dream... I remember when it was could BlackBerry install Android 5.0 on BB10. And that might have actually helped to sell some phones.

Did you see how long it took them to get Android 8 out for the Android phones, and it still needed more work.

BB10 is an EOL product, they aren't spending anything they don't have to on it at this point. There is no reason to do it, and lot's of reasons not to.
    At the beginning I though the runtime was a good idea. But now looking back, I think it was a mistake. They should had assisted developers port their apps over.

Anyway, too late now. I still miss BB10. It wasn’t perfect but it had so much potential. Imagine if BB10 came out instead of the storm?
    anon(9188202) and Frank Wu2 like this.
    09-25-18 01:57 PM
    At the beginning I though the runtime was a good idea. But now looking back, I think it was a mistake. They should had assisted developers port their apps over.

Anyway, too late now. I still miss BB10. It wasn’t perfect but it had so much potential. Imagine if BB10 came out instead of the storm?
    They did assist them... threw a bunch of porting parties all over the world.

And porting is super easy... back in the early days of BB10 we could not install APKs, so we had down load an APK, get a developer certificate from BlackBerry, use the porting tools to convert over to a BAR file and then sideload the apps. Now many did run into issues once they submitted them....

But what BB10 needed was big developers (Instagram, SnapChat, whatever the big game was at that time.... ), and those were only interested in NUMBERS. And in 2013 it was too late for someone to enter the market.... and that's what BB10 was, a total do over and new product. Yes if they had released it back in 2008... things might have been different.
    09-25-18 02:12 PM
    Of all the things to dream about...
    john_v likes this.
    09-25-18 02:47 PM
    I think blackberry announced they are software company. So it's not a problem they can upgrade android core to 9.0 for bb10. My meanings is bb10 platform but can running Android 9.0. Is that possible? Let's discuss this topic and feedback to BlackBerry software team.

Frank my friend....you're not going to get any love on Crackberry for anything that involves continuing BB10. Protestations to the contrary aside, most of the folks here are not fans of the platform (or, in one case, a fan but thought it was never going to be viable past 2006). Find people that by their posts demonstrate love for BB10. PM them. Discuss that way. Anything else will get scorn.
    09-25-18 02:52 PM
    Frank my friend....you're not going to get any love on Crackberry for anything that involves continuing BB10. Protestations to the contrary aside, most of the folks here are not fans of the platform (or, in one case, a fan but thought it was never going to be viable past 2006). Find people that by their posts demonstrate love for BB10. PM them. Discuss that way. Anything else will get scorn.
    Opinion regarding the platform itself has absolutely nothing to do with its economic viability.
    Sigewif, ppeters914 and the_boon like this.
    09-25-18 03:07 PM
    Opinions regarding the platform itself has absolutely nothing to do with its economic viability.
    That would be why in the one case of which I am aware I cited that the person says they are a fan but believed that the platform would never be viable unless it was launched in 2006.

If there are more people who claim to be fans yet somehow oppose every mention of continuing use of the platform and also state that their opinions are solely related to the platform's economic viability, I will adjust my comments accordingly.
    09-25-18 03:14 PM
    That would be why in the one case of which I am aware I cited that the person says they are a fan but believed that the platform would never be viable unless it was launched in 2006.

If there are more people who claim to be fans yet somehow oppose every mention of continuing use of the platform and also state that their opinions are solely related to the platform's economic viability, I will adjust my comments accordingly.
    Many of us here are fans of the platform, and what it could have been.

We also don't oppose the continuation. We just know that it won't be continued. Not by our choice, but because of BlackBerry's Board of Directors from more than 4 years ago. We are just realistic that any discussion by us is a worthless venture because it has no bearing on... well... anything.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    09-25-18 04:36 PM
    You know what? Many people love blackberry phone because of love. Just love. But all of big fans disappointed because blackberry give up them. Blackberry doesn't like critical and bad words. They don't accept any suggestions from customers. That's why blackberry failed in smart phone market. Sorry about this complain. If these words against some rules about forum please delete It But not block me. Thanks

Nothing wrong with your thoughts or feelings. But, like Don Corleone said, it's business, it's not personal. BlackBerry couldn't make enough money to stay in the business, because the 40-80M BBOS users mostly wanted what Android and Apple were offering : apps and content. There are only a few million of us who actually PREFERRED BB10 to iOS and Android. BlackBerry Limited couldn't make a business out if that, but it's just possible that BlackBerry Mobile can, because TCL's overhead is spread over a much larger portfolio of products with orders of magnitude more revenue.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-25-18 04:45 PM
    Many of us here are fans of the platform, and what it could have been.

We also don't oppose the continuation. We just know that it won't be continued. Not by our choice, but because of BlackBerry's Board of Directors from more than 4 years ago. We are just realistic that any discussion by us is a worthless venture because it has no bearing on... well... anything.
    While I suppose it's possible that many do not oppose others discussing ways of continuing to use BB10, there is definitely hostility and scorn towards any post which even mentions the idea. If you truly do not oppose the idea and think that discussion is worthless, why bother discussing it?

I am not a fan of Android, whether packaged in a Blackberry skin or otherwise. However, I don't bother trying to convince everyone who uses a Blackberry Mobile device that Android is worthless, because I just don't care. If you folks want to use a Blackberry-branded Android device, more power to you. I don't, so I don't care.

The fact that there is such hostility and scorn towards the very idea of BB10 continuing means that a great many people certainly oppose something. However, when called out on it, they typically say that it's not the platform itself, just *insert other reason here* .

If these people truly don't oppose people finding ways to continue to use the platform, why bother to post the scorn?
    09-25-18 05:21 PM
    While I suppose it's possible that many do not oppose others discussing ways of continuing to use BB10, there is definitely hostility and scorn towards any post which even mentions the idea. If you truly do not oppose the idea and think that discussion is worthless, why bother discussing it?

I am not a fan of Android, whether packaged in a Blackberry skin or otherwise. However, I don't bother trying to convince everyone who uses a Blackberry Mobile device that Android is worthless, because I just don't care. If you folks want to use a Blackberry-branded Android device, more power to you. I don't, so I don't care.

The fact that there is such hostility and scorn towards the very idea of BB10 continuing means that a great many people certainly oppose something. However, when called out on it, they typically say that it's not the platform itself, just *insert other reason here* .

If these people truly don't oppose people finding ways to continue to use the platform, why bother to post the scorn?
    Some people just like being dismissive and combative on Internet forums. I assume they are getting out aggression they can't express in their private life. It's true on many forums, but much more for technology. They think tribal my but don't acknowledge it.

09-25-18 05:32 PM
    Forget about android they should have instead maintained BB10 on a minimalistic level so to offer a Google free option. Even if they only produced one device iteration every two or three years will modest support and allow devs like Nemory to develop apps if they so choose.
    Now I'm not saying they should do this to make money but to keep it relevant and perhaps the masses will develop a need for another alternative in the future or rules and regulations make it viable to pursue the projects in a higher capacity one day.

I guess the truth of the matter is not just cost of doing so but deterring loyal BB10 users from staying on the platform and using their money to rally onto android with their new devices.

BB10 worked way better than android ever will
    09-25-18 05:41 PM

Thats the problem. There are no ways to continue BB10. You take the idea of continuing it personally, and there's nothing personal about it. Right or wrong, it simply doesn't matter.

Discussing how great it is (was), is all well and good, and may have a few here who will point out the few issues it did have (memory issues with open apps being one that was never resolved), but getting into how to bring it back is where you find the push-back.

And it's not hostility. It's reality. Just because you might not like the reality doesn't really matter. BlackBerry is not going to change their minds. And theirs is the only one that counts if anything about the future of the OS is going to change.

I usually only get involved in about a quarter of these kinds of discussions. But every once in a while I get drawn in.

I just have to wonder, how do you intend to change the mind of the BlackBerry BOD? That's what matters.
    09-25-18 05:45 PM
    Nothing wrong with your thoughts or feelings. But, like Don Corleone said, it's business, it's not personal. BlackBerry couldn't make enough money to stay in the business, because the 40-80M BBOS users mostly wanted what Android and Apple were offering : apps and content. There are only a few million of us who actually PREFERRED BB10 to iOS and Android. BlackBerry Limited couldn't make a business out if that, but it's just possible that BlackBerry Mobile can, because TCL's overhead is spread over a much larger portfolio of products with orders of magnitude more revenue.

Exactly! I agree with you

09-25-18 06:04 PM
    Forget about android they should have instead maintained BB10 on a minimalistic level so to offer a Google free option.
    But that's simply not possible.

BB10 can't work on modern hardware as it is, so billions would have to be invested to rebuild it from the ground up.

Who's dumb enough to do that?
    the_boon likes this.
    09-25-18 06:05 PM
    While I suppose it's possible that many do not oppose others discussing ways of continuing to use BB10, there is definitely hostility and scorn towards any post which even mentions the idea.
    Discussing its use is seldom condemned or opposed.

Discussing its future development is borderline pathological, and will usually garner a reality pill.
    09-25-18 06:10 PM

Discussing its future development is borderline pathological, and will usually garner a reality pill.
    I'm not sure there's much value to administering reality pills. The people who need them won't take them, and the people who don't need them get tired of hearing about them constantly.

09-25-18 06:53 PM
    But that's simply not possible.

BB10 can't work on modern hardware as it is, so billions would have to be invested to rebuild it from the ground up.

Who's dumb enough to do that?
    BlackBerry was till Chen came along. Microsoft is just as dumb also lol
    09-25-18 07:06 PM

Well, I suppose it's good we're all acknowledging our true feelings here.

Note: I don't actually believe Blackberry Limited will develop BB10 further. I feel the need to say that again since there is apparently some confusion on the topic.

Discussing the platform's continued use--as in ways to facilitate extending past its announced EOL date by Blackberry Limited--is indeed condemned and opposed, frequently. What I don't understand is why those who have this opinion bother. Just let the threads go unanswered if you wish, or let those of us who do want to facilitate continued use reply and gently mention to these folks that it's unlikely BBL will spend further money on this. Why allow yourselves to stress over this?
    09-25-18 07:08 PM

Note: I don't actually believe Blackberry Limited will develop BB10 further. I feel the need to say that again since there is apparently some confusion on the topic.

Discussing the platform's continued use--as in ways to facilitate extending past its announced EOL date by Blackberry Limited--is indeed condemned and opposed, frequently. What I don't understand is why those who have this opinion bother. Just let the threads go unanswered if you wish, or let those of us who do want to facilitate continued use reply and gently mention to these folks that it's unlikely BBL will spend further money on this. Why allow yourselves to stress over this?
    It does feel sometimes like some Android fans need others to agree that they made the right choice. LOL. I don't know if they just generally need to be arrogant and feel superior or if are like an ex who has to bad mouth their former spouse to feel at ease with the breakup.

09-25-18 07:19 PM

(Emphasis, mine)

Okay, now that is a different discussion, and I totally disagree with your assessment there. I may have missed some of those discussions, but I certainly don't condemn anyone who just wants to continue to use a BB10 device. I still have my Z10, and keep it running. Anything to help someone out, I'll do what I can for that, if I know the answer. Conite does too.

What happens at EOL after the last day of 2019 is anyone's guess, and that is always admitted to. Once that happens, then we will do what we can to help out when we know for sure what does go totally off line.

I thought we were talking about the continued development of the OS.
    jfalkingham likes this.
    09-25-18 07:28 PM
    (Emphasis, mine)

Okay, now that is a different discussion, and I totally disagree with your assessment there. I may have missed some of those discussions, but I certainly don't condemn anyone who just wants to continue to use a BB10 device. I still have my Z10, and keep it running. Anything to help someone out, I'll do what I can for that, if I know the answer. Conite does too.

What happens at EOL after the last day of 2019 is anyone's guess, and that is always admitted to. Once that happens, then we will do what we can to help out when we know for sure what does go totally off line.

I thought we were talking about the continued development of the OS.
    The continued use of the OS can indeed involve efforts at continued development, whether by BBL or by others. But generally speaking anytime someone mentions ways to use the platform beyond EOL--workarounds, inquiries about whether an app will work, or yes, suggestions that BBL should do "one more thing" for the die-hard Blackberry 10 fans--that is met with scorn and ridicule.

Now, is BBL likely to do anything? No. But the scorn and ridicule goes beyond that. I acn point to any number of threads where people inquire about BB10 functionality, apps, etc. and the reply is always "Go to Android" from much of the crowd I'm discussing.

If one wants to mention that BBL is probably not going to respond well to questions/comments about Blackberry 10, go ahead. But don't rip people's heads off because they even suggest it. And definitely don't rip their heads off for simply asking about BB10 apps. functions, ways to help the platform, etc.
    Frank Wu2 and The_Passporter like this.
    09-25-18 07:35 PM
50 12