I posted in another thread that I bought a new Passport SE, and am moving from a Z30 of 3+ years.

Unfortunately, it's been an amazingly frustrating experience. I'm currently factory resetting the device, after many hours spent trying to do the device switch last night. It's about halfway.

Is it my own fault? Maybe partially. My goal is to load up the backup I just made on my Z30. Each and everytime though, BB Link can't find any backups when starting the backup reload option.

To start from the beginning, The Passport had tons of issues trying to connect to BB Link. Honestly, sometimes took 5 mins of the spinning wheel "connecting". But when I plug in my Z30, no issues. Eventually, it worked. Then I tried to do it through backup reload. Never found the file. Then I tried on my Windows 7 machine. BB Link wouldn't work (eventually found out about the itunes.xml issue, and fixed that). Once fixed, tried there. Same thing. Then tried the device switch in BB Link. After a couple of hours, it worked. But there's been freezing issues. And BBM chats didn't move over. Yes, I know that a lot of places say BBM chats can't move over, but then some people say it works when they do it by backup loading... I really hope it works.

I considered the Device Switch app, but I read that it is mostly for contacts and email.

But even with everything transferred, connecting to BB Link is spotty at best. I can't do backups, or reload anything. So I'm starting from scratch one more time. And if it doesn't work, I'm probably going to send it back. The devices looks awesome, but considering my weekend is almost over, and being this close to Christmas with a million things to do, my stress level doesn't need to be higher.
    12-11-16 04:02 PM
    So I guess I have to send it back?

I tried the factory reset, and it keeps going blank around +50%. First time, I wasn't sure and let it go for a bit. Then held the power button, and it started over. Then I let it go again, and it happened again. This time I gave it another half an hour, but nothing happened. It looks like the screen is still on though. I reset it again, and the factory reset started again. Took about half an hour to get to just over 50%. This time I sat and watched it while on my computer. Screen just goes black. It's black, but noticeably on (unlike the blacks on the oled screens). When I look at the screen on an angle, it's more noticeable it's on.

The only thing I can do it hold the power, and it will turn off and on. I can't even shut it off.

Unless anyone else has any other options, I guess it's going back to Blackberry...
    12-11-16 06:02 PM
    I would cut your loses with Z30 and only transfer things over like contacts and maybe pictures or music.

Trying to use a back up from one model and force it onto a different model is asking for trouble and future issues.
    andy957 likes this.
    12-11-16 08:57 PM
    I would cut your loses with Z30 and only transfer things over like contacts and maybe pictures or music.

Trying to use a back up from one model and force it onto a different model is asking for trouble and future issues.
    Your logic makes sense. Device switching by using a backup from one device to another sounds like a make shift way of device switching. But because it was one of the 3 main options recommended by Blackberry, I'm assuming it's legit.

Regardless, I have a feeling the issue is with my specific Passport device. It's on it's 3rd attempt at a factory reset, and it's still frozen on the black screen. Been an hour. Guess I have to just leave it until the battery runs out. At this point, it's bricked. I'll post photos shortly.
    12-11-16 09:19 PM
    Attempt 2:

Issues with my new Passport SE-wpj3lge.jpg
    Issues with my new Passport SE-kvzpnzm.jpg
    Issues with my new Passport SE-jopzbiz.jpg
    Issues with my new Passport SE-hg9dhod.jpg
    Issues with my new Passport SE-5ptjn8l.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Issues with my new Passport SE-bfimeh3.jpg  
    12-11-16 09:37 PM
    At this point, it's bricked
    Excuse me if I missed anything here (have not followed your situation), but have you used an autoloader? Seems to me that is your last option. Forget about Link, be prepared to wipe everything and go for the autoloader. Always works and takes care of a bricked situation.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-11-16 09:53 PM
    Excuse me if I missed anything here (have not followed your situation), but have you used an autoloader? Seems to me that is your last option. Forget about Link, be prepared to wipe everything and go for the autoloader. Always works and takes care of a bricked situation.
    I haven't used an autoloader. Never done that before. Can you give a brief description?

Latest update. I left the phone on the black screen for a couple hours. Decided it's time to go to bed. Held power for 10 seconds to try to turn off (though up to now it's always just restarted the device wipe).

Came up with the BB10-0015 error. Quick google search said to re connect Passport to PC, and reload through Link. Trying that right now...
    12-11-16 10:03 PM
    I'm with brookie. Reset is an often failed PITA. Better to run an autoloader, which is simple and quick, then try using link to restore. Make sure both phones have the same OS, to add to the simplicity. You can upgrade the Passport using a Blitz file afterward.
    Got2GetAway likes this.
    12-11-16 11:39 PM
    You can try the reload through link, sometimes it works but if it fails an autoloader will solve your problem. Just remove any SD card before hand and turn off blackberry protect
    Got2GetAway likes this.
    12-12-16 01:45 AM
    One thing - from what I recall BBM Chats in groups restored themselves when I re-added the group to the new phones. I don't know about individuals.
    12-12-16 05:28 PM
    One thing - from what I recall BBM Chats in groups restored themselves when I re-added the group to the new phones. I don't know about individuals.
    True. I have read that everywhere, that group chats can be transferred. Not sure why.
    12-12-16 08:19 PM
    Ok, I want to gauge some opinions. I've got it back up and running. I'm trying the device switch one more time, not doing the "backup reload".

My question is, if the passport continues to have so much trouble connecting to BB Link, should I return it anyways. I like to backup my phone several times a year. And as of right not, the Passport continues to have "connectivity issues" with Link. Which is weird, considering my Z30 is recognized right away.

I thought maybe it was just my computer, but I loaded Link onto my Window 7 pc, and my work's Microsoft Surface Pro, and I get the same issues. Is it possible that there is an issue with the phone? Below are photos. The second photo shows the "progress bar" that typically shows show much storage you have. I know it's a new device, but it keeps "spinning", but nothing comes up. Granted, I have not taken any photos, but wouldn't something show up? The other two devices in the list are my Z30, and my wife's old Z10.

Issues with my new Passport SE-pv0jzox.png
    Issues with my new Passport SE-7bonedk.png
    Issues with my new Passport SE-rtumxah.png
    Last edited by skilas; 12-12-16 at 08:51 PM. Reason: adding photo
    12-12-16 08:48 PM
    If you have chats set to save, "technically" they "should" recover, along with group chats.

I couldn't say for sure there's something wrong with the Passport. Link has always been sketchy at best. May I ask...
    What exactly are you trying to restore? It may be that a 3rd party app is better suited for your needs. If it's word substitute and/or browser bookmarks, then Link is your only option, sorta. You could try using Sachesi, just for craps and giggles. Uses the same software AFAIK, but can be more cooperative.
    skilas likes this.
    12-12-16 09:11 PM
    Something else that is worth trying is a different USB cable. Believe it or not, I have had issues over the years where one cable worked and another one didn't. I was also going to say try a different USB port but you say you tried this already on two different machines, so that doesn't appear to be the issue.
    skilas likes this.
    12-13-16 08:57 AM
    Untick the box that says allow wireless connectivity and then use USB. It will always try to connect wirelessly first otherwise and you can't do a proper backup wirelessly

Posted via CB10
    skilas likes this.
    12-13-16 09:15 AM
    Thanks guys. I did try different usb cables. And different usb slots on the same PC.

Also made sure to uncheck the wireless connection. Very first time, I had it on. Kept trying to connect, so I took it off.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-13-16 10:34 AM
    Thanks guys. I did try different usb cables. And different usb slots on the same PC.

Also made sure to uncheck the wireless connection. Very first time, I had it on. Kept trying to connect, so I took it off.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Link is absolutely unsupported and should not be used BlackBerry has put end of life to most of their desktop applications related to BlackBerry 10. As other have said cut your losses and start fresh. Always advised to get a microSD card to make content transfer seamless rather than relying of a software solution.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-16 10:42 AM
    I was going to device switch but decided not to risk a glitch. No trouble here. Now I have two.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    12-13-16 02:31 PM
    If you purchased your SE device brand new and from Shop BlackBerry. Website you should get 1 year technical support from BlackBerry.

BlackBerry used to advertise the technical support when they loaded the paper work in the phones box, but not anymore.

They also have separate technical support numbers for Priv and DTEK50 series so I am not sure if it's an outsourcing issue or something.

In any event the phone number for BlackBerry 10 technical support for Shop BlackBerry devices is 18772552377

I have confirmed previously with a few agents that BlackBerry will provide free technical support. The call centers appear to be in Asia and the agents I dealt with were fairly knowledgeable as well.

Good luck!!

Posted via CB10
    12-13-16 11:47 PM
    If it's brand new I'd asked for a replacement rather than get frustrated and waste weeks fussing with it. Factory Wipe shouldn't be a problem. also when you get one that installs, first thing after completing initial set up is shut off Auto Update before doing anything else. If you get it right you'll be on the last version that supports BlackBerry Facebook if you use fb you'll want it as well as a book mark added to home screen from browser. Fb will be integrated into HUB which you'll want.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 10:00 PM
    Thanks all! I do plan to send back for a replacement. Sucks that I likely won't have it for Xmas, but oh well.

I sent a message in to BlackBerry support, expressing that I will be sending back for replacement. Just haven't had enough time to dig into it, or hear back yet.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-14-16 11:12 PM
    So, spent a frustrating 1.5 hrs this morning with BlackBerry customer service. Here is the summary:

Called tech support.
    IMEI number not recognized.
    Auto caller hung up on me after kept being unrecognized.
    Called refund department.
    Refund people said I should talk to tech support. Transferred me.
    IT said they couldn't do replacement. Transferred me to shop.blackberry people.
    Shop.Blackberry people said replacements are by tech support. Transferred me back.
    Tech support said they need to go through a long process to see if something was actually wrong with the phone.
    They said that BlackBerry Link has known issues with Windows 10. They said I should just use it with my Windows 7 pc.
    They said they might give me a refund, then let me rebuy phone at the sale price. Said would call me back to either do this, or start the tech support process for replacements...

But, just getting my money back? No problem!

I'm trying my hardest to stay with them, but talk about frustrating.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-15-16 09:34 AM
    But, just getting my money back? No problem!

I'm trying my hardest to stay with them, but talk about frustrating.

Posted via CB10 on Z30[/QUOTE]

That's my fear. My brand new SE was shipped two weeks ago and the Backlot keyboard isn't fully Backlot, the side keys are way brighter than the middle. I just don't want to get the run around.

BB10 will outlast Android! Just you wait! Stage 1: denial
    12-15-16 09:37 AM
    Device switch sometimes works the first time you use and sometimes it doesn't. When it hangs when you are loading your files to your new device, just close the device switch app and reopen it again and start the transfer once more. Don't worry it will still retained the files you have in your old device. Done it several times before.

There's no problem with your new device, it's just the app.

Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky
    12-17-16 09:56 AM
    Device switch sometimes works the first time you use and sometimes it doesn't. When it hangs when you are loading your files to your new device, just close the device switch app and reopen it again and start the transfer once more. Don't worry it will still retained the files you have in your old device. Done it several times before.

There's no problem with your new device, it's just the app.

Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky
    For me, the thing is that I'm not using the Device Switch App. I've tried the other two ways. First was to do Device switch via BlackBerry Link. The second was to create a backup, and restore it on the new phone.

Other than the BlackBerry Link issues, the phone itself has been a bit buggy. Dark theme works in BBM, but not Contacts. Every time I try in contacts, it says changes will appear after closing the app. Never happens. Plus it freezes sometimes.

Just too many issues in the end. Man its a sexy machine, but I have to return it. I would just replace it. But BlackBerry is making replacement hard. Despite my many hours trying to set it up, they want to spend more time together, to see if it's truly an issue with the phone. I'm sorry, but after a week devoted to it every night, all I want to do is return it and get a new one. And if they won't do it, then I will just return it for our money job.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-18-16 10:55 PM
28 12