11-22-14 04:25 AM
96 1234
tools
    Worse thing about iphone is you can't minimise YouTube and still have it playing that's poor all I'm going to say

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 08:36 PM
    Worse thing about iphone is you can't minimise YouTube and still have it playing that's poor all I'm going to say
    The video will pause by default, since otherwise the user would be missing the video!

But if you really want the video to continue in the background, you can swipe up from the bottom and tap play.
    10-04-14 09:11 PM
    The video will pause by default, since otherwise you would me missing the video!

But if you really want the video to continue in the background, you can swipe up from the bottom and tap play.
    The thing that bothers me is that none of these features are intuitive...
    Honestly before with the Jailbreak's, they were amazing and the features it added... Plus it's proper multitasking that let apps fully-run in the background... Apple honestly gets most of it's features from versions of the past Jailbreaks...
    BlackBerry just doesn't need a Jailbreak in the first place \:|/
    spitfire1500 likes this.
    10-04-14 09:14 PM
    The iPhone and Android phones don't so the apps are stored in a frozen state.

Try this, in browser, open a heavy page and before it id loaded minimize, gi to another app then go back to browser..... the page is loaded... the app kept working.
    Just tried this with an iPhone 5s. Start a page loading in Safari, switch out to something else for a few seconds and when I switch back to Safari the page is fully loaded.

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-04-14 09:46 PM
    Just tried this with an iPhone 5s. Start a page loading in Safari, switch out to something else for a few seconds and when I switch back to Safari the page is fully loaded.

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps not a great example since the stock browser is one of the exceptions in iOS.

Here's a non BlackBerry app example..

Request a forum update then go away by swiping up. Go to another app, come back and the list is refreshed. So a third party app refreshing a list while minimized

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    10-04-14 10:36 PM
    Perhaps not a great example since the stock browser is one of the exceptions in iOS.

Here's a non BlackBerry app example..

Request a forum update then go away by swiping up. Go to another app, come back and the list is refreshed. So a third party app refreshing a list while minimized

Yeah, unfortunately Apple makes it so their first-party apps are exceptions to those rules, not fully exceptioned and they have their limits, but still exceptioned enough to do those types of tasks. The third-party dev's then get the flak for not doing all these things and have to say "Sorry, we'll try harder" since Apple will pull their apps from the stores or penalize them if they speak against the iOS tools..

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052
    10-04-14 11:15 PM
    loving this debate without the earlier nonsense
    D3C0D3R and Chrisy like this.
    10-04-14 11:19 PM
    loving this debate without the earlier nonsense
    Completely one-sided and apple-hating, that's how it ought to be

Btw if anyone wants to challenge anything I say, go for it! I usually don't make mistakes, but who knows, I might make my first one \:|/ ;

Praise be unto the Lord our Squircle. Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052
    10-04-14 11:41 PM
    Test is flawed.

iPhone can switch faster between apps if you dont interact with the app. In the second round they should snap a couple of pics when opening the camera app.

Boom! Saint Reload day for all the following apps. iOS is structured to free memory aggressively when an app needs it. Opening the camera app and not taking a picture is not fast multitasking is fast app switching

Test is flawed
    10-05-14 02:47 AM
    I'd replicate this on a Passport but BlackBerry doesn't have these apps.

I joke I joke, I kid I kid!

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-05-14 03:32 AM
    I wouldn't bother putting bb up against them, android runtime would take ages to load, would prob loose to the s5 which was shockingly slow... I was surprised
    10-05-14 05:41 AM
    I wouldn't bother putting bb up against them, android runtime would take ages to load, would prob loose to the s5 which was shockingly slow... I was surprised
    You're joking.. right?
    The runtime on the Passport is phenomenal..

spikesolie likes this.
    10-05-14 07:17 AM
    You're joking.. right?
    The runtime on the Passport is phenomenal..

Go ahead and run the test then...

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 08:01 AM
    BlackBerry hands down has the best version of multi-tasking. It is found in their PlayBook OS. I was really disappointed when they left "Showcase" out of BB10.

As far as app switching, which is what most of this seems to be, a split second here or their means very little in a day that consists of a set amount of downtime.
    Chrisy, dejanh and bigjman like this.
    10-05-14 08:40 AM
    I couldn't find the Android Runtime on my wife's iPhone. So I cannot run the test.

Native OS and apps, I could go from a running app into the Hub with ZERO lag and an immeasurable amount of time. The fastest App Switching of any OS.
    vvvhhh8 likes this.
    10-05-14 08:44 AM
    Well this is the point, native BlackBerry apps would be in with a chance.

Unfortunately you won't find half those apps in BlackBerry World, so you need to rely on the runtime, against native ios and native android, because this is blackberries answer to the situation... its not that ios needs a runtime... its that blackberries answer to the app situation needs to be on par with the competition eventually..

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-05-14 09:13 AM
    So I tited this with bu z10, qith aome real multitasling

Clock stopwatch go

Swipe up, over, maps, favorites ,. Select a local address, swipe up, over
    Favebook
    Contacts
    BeWeather, delect, local weather after detected by gps
    CB select forums
    Browser, select a web page
    TimmyMe

Then look at each app
    Maps route is presented
    CB forum cat list is presented
    BeW local forecast is up
    Brwoset selecetd page is up

I have a few headless 3rd party apps as well that are always there

Different test as I asked apps to work in the background and the appa that use GPS take longer, maps was longest

Total time 2:33 but first try, no practice and my fingers did not always obey.

Might try again with easier apps

Having to change panels to get the apps slows you down too

10-05-14 09:14 AM
    One more try

Td bank
    Casca ron pro, panel 4, gps
    Doodle jump, inside a folder, panel 3
    Blaq
    TimmyMe
    Facebook
    Snap-, inside folder, panel 3
    CB

1:53

Slowest load, Casca run due to GPS

Could easily get 5-10 more seconds off by app selection, apps the just go to a menu page and don't ask for services

Anybody else?

Chrisy likes this.
    10-05-14 09:25 AM
    BB10 basically handles things the same way. There are some instances (video in browser) that is different in that it will play after its minimized. BUT for the most part all 3 OS will do task switching. Play a game and all OS's will pause the game when you switch out of it. playing music via the music player and it will continue to play as you switch out of it. App switching is pretty much how they all work including BB10.
    What about downloading apps? If I started downloading in an app and then switch it to the background, does all OSs behave the same? In BB10 I have seen apps continue to download in the background, but not sure how iOS and Android handle it.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154
    10-05-14 09:55 AM
    Once more, ptimized a bit, mived all testrd apps to first panel, all bb10 apps, no gps use, altjpugh some are dpwnlaoding from ontetnet

Snap, FB, CB, Blaq, Soundhound, TD Bank, Doodle Jump, TimmyMe

The first 4 went to the internet to load heavy content, soundhound small amnt of content, the others just loaded a menu page

1:26!!!!!!

So go ahead and try this with BB

Btw I did a round loading android apps, my Z10 10.2,

Tried kindle reader.... v slow, netflix and Instagram, 2 of these put the unoptimized run to around 2:15

10-05-14 10:09 AM
    What about downloading apps? If I started downloading in an app and then switch it to the background, does all OSs behave the same? In BB10 I have seen apps continue to download in the background, but not sure how iOS and Android handle it.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154
    i know on android they continue to download and i think on iOS as well
    10-05-14 11:04 AM
    What OS version are you using on your Z?

Q10 SQN100-3 | Z30 STA100-2 | 10.2.1.3247 iPhone 4s IOS 7.xx
    10-05-14 11:05 AM
    Asking me?

Release 10.2.1.2977
    OS 10.2.1.3247

10-05-14 11:34 AM
    Well this is the point, native BlackBerry apps would be in with a chance.

Unfortunately you won't find half those apps in BlackBerry World, so you need to rely on the runtime, against native ios and native android, because this is blackberries answer to the situation... its not that ios needs a the runtime... its that blackberries answer to the app situation needs to be on par with the competition eventually.
    The issue here is multitasking, not native apps: were all the apps that currently run under Android were to be available native, would your assessment be "oh yeah, BlackBerry wins hands down"? if so then which platform offers superior multitasking.

or limit the tests to apps that are native to all platforms and still the winner would be blackberry, I wager. "But that isn't a real world test" isn't what this is about, and as I say above, the multitasking implementation on iOS demonstrates PERCEIVABLE lag when switching apps (as apps reactivate / refresh) but BB10 does not.

Posted via CB10
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    10-05-14 02:27 PM
    So opening an App and moving to an other is called multitasking...

What about writing an email, answering a call, check out some files, come back to complete the email and attach 3 files of different nature: a pic, a text file or PDF and may be a zipped file?

Faster processor, better RAM leads to a better execution speed. But it is not "multitasking"!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    10-05-14 02:42 PM
96 1234