J_caloy are you up for doing this task? I'm sure the video will go viral.

Compare the passport / galaxy S5 / iphone 6

On actual multitasking browser/whatsapp/a game or 2/ twitter / facebook

Switching to and fro and doing tasks in the background.

I'm pretty confident that BB10 will at least put up a good fight.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 02:13 PM
    This is one thing I cannot stand on my iPhone! Every app that I use stays open and "paused" in the background. The. I double press the home button to switch apps. Well, after a day the apps in that paused list is so huge that to scroll to it takes forever. So I end up just going back to the home screen and opening the app again from there.

You can close apps on the iPhone my double pressing the home button and flicking apps away, but I prefer being able to close out apps in the app. Not sure if BlackBerry still does that though.

Right now, if I double press the home button I have 25 apps open and have to swipe to see them.
    they currently just minmize to active frames and you still have to get rid of them yourself. And yes I wish iOS would not keep so many apps in the carousel
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-03-14 02:18 PM
    I don't know how BlackBerry 10 is, but I liked just having certain apps in the app switcher like messages, phone and I forget the rest.

The animation on the iPhone is really nice visually when switching apps, but it's slow. I often press the he button so fast that it clocks four times and takes me out of the open apps list.
    10-03-14 02:20 PM
    The first half of the video is how fast can you open a bunch of apps in a row, which isn't really multi-tasking. The second half is how fast you can bring those apps, well most of those apps, back from their paused state.
    10-03-14 02:45 PM
    BB10 basically handles things the same way. There are some instances (video in browser) that is different in that it will play after its minimized. BUT for the most part all 3 OS will do task switching. Play a game and all OS's will pause the game when you switch out of it. playing music via the music player and it will continue to play as you switch out of it. App switching is pretty much how they all work including BB10.
    If you are playing a game--keyword is play-- that is how all OS should handle it. How can you physically play a minimized game? However, if I play a game on BB10, I can turn off game sound and play it with YouTube audio instead. I'm listening to a basketball coach's interview as I type this on the CB 10 app right now. That is basic multi tasking, not hard core. Not possible on my iPod Touch running iOS 8.

If the title of that test was changed to app switching then that would make more sense.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 03:29 PM
    Also depends if the os is switching to stoted app to storage memory or can keep it in workinf RAM.

The extra BlackBerry RAM keeps the aps in working RAM so they can stay active.

The iPhone and Android phones don't so the apps are stored in a frozen state.

Try this, in browser, open a heavy page and before it id loaded minimize, gi to another app then go back to browser..... the page is loaded... the app kept working.

True multitasking, the os can do it, not all apps implement it.

The clock is not necessarily running in the background, all it needs to do is record the start time and do the math when it is up front again.

Mini apps like widgets are doing something similar but the system can easily keep a numbers of small app displays utd if that is all it is doing.

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    10-03-14 03:36 PM
    What I consider true multitasking, I've only ever seen on a Galaxy Note: the ability to open a second app ontop of the main app and interact with both simultaneously. Example, open a spreadsheet and calculator and validate calculations or run my own without affecting or changing the spreadsheets.
    Everything else is just bouncing between multiple full screen apps and it comes down to the effeciency at which the OS can allow this. In this regard, I consider all modern smartphones comparable.
    Just my $0.02

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 03:38 PM
    BB10 basically handles things the same way. There are some instances (video in browser) that is different in that it will play after its minimized. BUT for the most part all 3 OS will do task switching. Play a game and all OS's will pause the game when you switch out of it. playing music via the music player and it will continue to play as you switch out of it. App switching is pretty much how they all work including BB10.
    Not really accurate. On iOS the developer has no control over the app's running state. It will be paused unless it falls under one of the few categories allowed by Apple: audio, location tracking, VoIP, newsstand apps and apps that communicate with an accessory.

On BlackBerry 10 it is up to the developer to choose what the app does when it is in the background. There are no restrictions based on the app type.

The other important thing to note is how iOS handles headless apps. Basically headless apps are limited to just a few types of activities like updating a content feed. Something as basic as a "flip to mute" app is impossible to achieve on iOS.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 03:46 PM
    Not really accurate. On iOS the developer has no control over the app's running state. It will be paused unless it falls under one of the few categories allowed by Apple: audio, location tracking, VoIP, newsstand apps and apps that communicate with an accessory.

On BlackBerry 10 it is up to the developer to choose what the app does when it is in the background. There are no restrictions based on the app type.

The other important thing to note is how iOS handles headless apps. Basically headless apps are limited to just a few types of activities like updating a content feed. Something as basic as a "flip to mute" app is impossible to achieve on iOS.

Posted via CB10
    right so the OS obviously can do it but apple decides what can and cant run in the background.
    10-03-14 07:03 PM
    right so the OS obviously can do it but apple decides what can and cant run in the background.
    Right. In addition to the list given earlier, all background apps (regardless of type) can request processor time if they need to complete a long-running task, process incoming notifications, or complete a long upload or download task. These were added in iOS7 and 8.

But you got the main point that the kernel was always capable of this, going back to the CMU days even before NeXT. Apple has always restricted access to this for 3rd party apps, though.
    10-03-14 07:33 PM
    Yeah I really love that home button.
    NOT!!!
    10-03-14 11:03 PM
    I don't know how BlackBerry 10 is, but I liked just having certain apps in the app switcher like messages, phone and I forget the rest.
    We call it the hub. Pretty darn neat.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-03-14 11:05 PM
    J_caloy are you up for doing this task? I'm sure the video will go viral.

Compare the passport / galaxy S5 / iphone 6

On actual multitasking browser/whatsapp/a game or 2/ twitter / facebook

Switching to and fro and doing tasks in the background.

I'm pretty confident that BB10 will at least put up a good fight.

Posted via CB10
    I don't own any of these devices... So it's a no go for me lolll
    Only if I had those devices!

JC, from the Asian Guy that Hates BlackBerry on YouTube
    spikesolie likes this.
    10-04-14 12:59 AM
    There is a major difference apple closes all apps that are not running. BlackBerry doesn't.
    That's why a passport becomes leggy when you open 10 or more apps and the iphone can run 30 or so

Those apps are all paused. Give it a try with a game - it will restart and get you to the start screen.

And memory wise there is no other way to do this.
    The system needs between 200 and 600gb RAM and the iphone only has one GB available for apps and the system - the passport has 3gb for storing apps that are running.
    So BlackBerry is more like a desktop os that runs many windows at the same time

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-04-14 01:05 AM
    That's not multitasking. That's app launching and task switching.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 01:58 AM
    Nop but apple loves to fool people and people believe it - that's the big problem

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 04:57 AM
    Interesting useless test. No one uses their device like that. However it does highlight the advantage of Apple's idea of not closing apps, but freezing them. As long as their is enough RAM to keep this going, then it works. Once it's running low, it does force apps to reload.

Which makes it almost equivalent to active frames on BlackBerry 10. If you had all those apps open and then just tapped on the active frames... they would open instantly, so the Passport would most certainly catch up in the second round... even if it needs to close down 2 active frames to keep it at the 8 limit. Not having to press on the button would likely make the user delay less too.

Finally, the only problem with Apple's implementation is that it's not really clear to the user whether they closed the app or not. Maybe most don't care, but I like to run a tight ship and prefer control over such things.

Posted via CB10
    Those are where the cards come in. Double click the home button and it shows all the apps that are currently suspended/running in the background.

The only apps that are allowed to run in the background are music, the phone app, maps, pandora and some others. It is Apple's decision whether or not to allow a certain app to run in the background. The OS is capable but the APIs are not allowed in most apps.
    10-04-14 05:22 AM
    Nop but apple loves to fool people and people believe it - that's the big problem

Posted via CB10
    Fool how exactly? According to Understand multitasking and background activity on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch they explain exactly what you can and cannot do. If you define multitasking as the Note way, BlackBerry doesn't do so either so what exactly is your definition? The BlackBerry way? Yes, Apple is deliberately feeding us information that is not true. *rolls eyes*
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-04-14 05:30 AM
    Those are where the cards come in. Double click the home button and it shows all the apps that are currently suspended/running in the background.

The only apps that are allowed to run in the background are music, the phone app, maps, pandora and some others. It is Apple's decision whether or not to allow a certain app to run in the background. The OS is capable but the APIs are not allowed in most apps.
    Safari runs in background as well I think as of ios7.

Given that the video I posted in the OP reflects more on app opening speed, switching and resume rather than true multitasking (running multiple active apps in the background at the same time), I'm sure the iphone is capable of some degree of multitasking.

But so can android and BB10 so the whole point of this thread is which does it best?

It can't be demonstrated by words, some needs to step up and create a video!

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 09:51 AM
    I don't own any of these devices... So it's a no go for me lolll
    Only if I had those devices!

JC, from the Asian Guy that Hates BlackBerry on YouTube
    Blackberry & Crackberry/Mobile Nation, get the guy some phones!
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-04-14 10:54 AM
    This is a stupid test.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 11:09 AM
    Here is a video of the Passport doing some game multitasking:
    bungaboy, ATMJOE and PatrickMJS like this.
    10-04-14 01:52 PM
    [OPINION]

From a computing standpoint, 64 bit is not significantly better unless apps are expressly optimized for it. There are probably 0.01% of apps that can benefit from 64bit.

The real benefits of 64 bits are being able to address more than 4G of RAM which is not relevant to the iPhone of course.

A formula1 racing car is faster than my 4 door Sedan, but I can get more done with my Sedan....comfortably.

I'm sensing a lot of defensiveness from iPhone fans these days. Hmmmmmm....

Posted via CB10
    D3C0D3R and PatrickMJS like this.
    10-04-14 02:06 PM
    Here is a video of the Passport doing some game multitasking:
    Thanks man, that's a great demo!
    10-04-14 02:06 PM
    [OPINION]

From a computing standpoint, 64 bit is not significantly better unless apps are expressly optimized for it. There are probably 0.01% of apps that can benefit from 64bit.

The real benefits of 64 bits are being able to address more than 4G of RAM which is not relevant to the iPhone of course.

A formula1 racing car is faster than my 4 door Sedan, but I can get more done with my Sedan....comfortably.

I'm sensing a lot of defensiveness from iPhone fans these days. Hmmmmmm....

Posted via CB10
    They're finally starting to realize that they're consistently rebuying the same product over and over for overpriced costs. . .

When you're wrong in an argument, some people man up and admit that, but most will try and defend it with obscene facts that don't actually mean anything and/or were stretching the truth. I think that's mostly what I'm hearing from people I talk to \:|/
    10-04-14 02:12 PM
96 1234