Interesting video on how the new A6 chip handles multitasking.

I'm impressed!

I wonder how it'll compare with the passport?

It's a little hard considering that for this to be fair, apps have to be native on the blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    swimbee likes this.
    10-03-14 10:52 AM
    Interesting video on how the new A6 chip handles multitasking.

I'm impressed!

I wonder how it'll compare with the passport?

It's a little hard considering that for this to be fair, apps have to be native on the blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Hasn't the BlackBerry always killed the iPhone in multitasking..? Ever since iPhone 1 it was sitll better...
    Don't see how that could change at all since their implementation of actual multitasking was worse than the multitasking that Jailbreaking the iPhone brought... just saying...

Also that video isn't actual multitasking or even close... Actual multitasking would be to open a resource intensive app, open up another app that's not heavy, maybe even a few others and only one other heavy app (you're NEVER going to need that many open at once) and reopen past apps...

Last, you need to take into consideration of how it handles battery life of having all of these apps open at once. To my knowledge and experience of the past Flagship iPhone's, it would try to leave the app uncompressed in memory and fully active, meaning that it absolutely annihilates the battery if you left all of those apps open at once.
    10-03-14 10:58 AM
    Maybe a passport owner running the latest OS can do a comparison?

Even running the android runtime, it'll be interesting to see.

All the apps have to be on the first page though and it would need 10.3.1 to make the most out of it because of the "run while minimised" feature.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 10:59 AM
    Hasn't the BlackBerry always killed the iPhone in multitasking..? Ever since iPhone 1 it was sitll better...
    Don't see how that could change at all since their implementation of actual multitasking was worse than the multitasking that Jailbreaking the iPhone brought... just saying...

Also that video isn't actual multitasking or even close... Actual multitasking would be to open a resource intensive app, open up another app that's not heavy, maybe even a few others and only one other heavy app (you're NEVER going to need that many open at once) and reopen past apps...

Last, you need to take into consideration of how it handles battery life of having all of these apps open at once. To my knowledge and experience of the past Flagship iPhone's, it would try to leave the app uncompressed in memory and fully active, meaning that it absolutely annihilates the battery if you left all of those apps open at once.
    I see you point. Better call it speed test then. But I believe the passport would be close.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 11:01 AM

sorry but the 64 bit processor has no rivals. Having 3gb does not mean anything as some benchmark of the Passport show.
    Apple iPhone 6 (Apple A8) performance review: CPU and GPU compared to the best Android phones out there
    10-03-14 11:11 AM
    sorry but the 64 bit processor has no rivals. Having 3gb does not mean anything as some benchmark of the Passport show.
    Apple iPhone 6 (Apple A8) performance review: CPU and GPU compared to the best Android phones out there
    They say this, yet apps still run the same way they have in the past...
    The 64 bit processor makes no legitimate difference on these types of phones. Go take a look at the entire thread here dedicated to whether or not the BlackBerry Passport not being 64-bit is a big deal... it's too miniscule to measure, especially since the RAM used is so small, on top of the processor being the same of what a normal 32-bit can do. The only reason they went to 64-bit for those phones was to bring it in line with the developers who also work on their Mac OSX systems.
    10-03-14 11:18 AM
    I didn't mean for this thread to be highjacked by apple fan boys. Please keep it respectful. You are on a blackberry forum, you know that right? Looking at all your past posts I'm not sure what you're doing here.

Back to the topic, I'm gonna try to replicate this test with my Z30 running 10.3.1 and see how it goes. I suspect that out blackberries will come out strong.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 11:25 AM
    I didn't mean for this thread to be highjacked by apple fan boys. Please keep it respectful. You are on a blackberry forum, you know that right? Looking at all your past posts I'm not sure what you're doing here.

Back to the topic, I'm gonna try to replicate this test with my Z30 running 10.3.1 and see how it goes. I suspect that out blackberries will come out strong.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds good! Post those results there, interested to see them! I'd suspect the Z30 will run well if not on par, possibly even better, with the Passport at a minimum on par, likely passing...
    10-03-14 11:30 AM
    That was a nice video!
    But i might see some slowing down with BlackBerry, when you minimize a app and have to go to the menu apps to open the next app.

Since in the video, when they minimize the app, the next app they needed to open was right there, ready to press.

But if someone tries this test, maybe me LOL
    And BlackBerry manages to beat the time....
    BlackBerry is Multitasking King!!!!

JC, from the Asian Guy that Hates BlackBerry on YouTube
    Gelzz, naqddn, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    10-03-14 11:44 AM
    The A8 is only faster in the single core test which is completely irrelevant considering the OS and all the apps use all the cores of the SoC. Why would you even mention that score? It's like saying a human is faster than a leopard when both are using just one leg. It's probably true, but who cares when in real life the human will use both his legs and the leopard all his 4 legs.

Sunspider and Kraken are browser benchmarks, Safari might just be a faster browser than Chrome. It says nothing about the actual chip.

On the GPU tests, the on-screen tests are irrelevant since the iPhone's GPU only needs to power a small amount of pixels compared to the other smartphones tested.

Posted via CB10
    FabianB, brian4591 and PatrickMJS like this.
    10-03-14 11:46 AM
    That was a nice video!
    But i might see some slowing down with BlackBerry, when you minimize a app and have to go to the menu apps to open the next app.

Since in the video, when they minimize the app, the next app they needed to open was right there, ready to press.

JC!!! Idol!

OT a bit... you have a dedicated thread with pleading CB members requesting your God given talent to "hate" on the new BlackBerry Passport

Not derailing the topic. Just grabbing this opportunity

Q10 SQN100-3 | Z30 STA100-2 | 10.2.1.3247 iPhone 4s IOS 7.xx
    SharonRD and spike12 like this.
    10-03-14 11:51 AM
    JC!!! Idol!

OT a bit... you have a dedicated thread with pleading CB members requesting your God given talent to "hate" on the new BlackBerry Passport

Not derailing the topic. Just grabbing this opportunity

Q10 SQN100-3 | Z30 STA100-2 | 10.2.1.3247 iPhone 4s IOS 7.xx
    Ahahahahah totally not obvious

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052
    10-03-14 11:57 AM
    task switching and program loading times, the Sammy really sucked though, RAM does have something to do with it

none of those apps were running in the background , exc the clock app, but it might not be either
    10-03-14 11:58 AM
    Passport can only open 8 though in the video they opened 12 I think so not sure how it will go in the test

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 12:02 PM
    Sure I read somewhere that one reason IOS appears to load apps so quickly is it stores a snapshot of the last screen for the next time it's loaded. In which case this test is quite misleading

Sent from my beloved Z30...
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-03-14 12:07 PM
    Maybe I saw it wrong (watched video without sound), but wasn't that really an app switching speed contest? Can you open YouTube, or say any music streaming app, minimize it, but have it continue to play in the background while doing something else in another app in iOS 8 like you can on BB10? Wouldn't that be true multi tasking?

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 12:14 PM
    Interesting useless test. No one uses their device like that. However it does highlight the advantage of Apple's idea of not closing apps, but freezing them. As long as their is enough RAM to keep this going, then it works. Once it's running low, it does force apps to reload.

Which makes it almost equivalent to active frames on BlackBerry 10. If you had all those apps open and then just tapped on the active frames... they would open instantly, so the Passport would most certainly catch up in the second round... even if it needs to close down 2 active frames to keep it at the 8 limit. Not having to press on the button would likely make the user delay less too.

Finally, the only problem with Apple's implementation is that it's not really clear to the user whether they closed the app or not. Maybe most don't care, but I like to run a tight ship and prefer control over such things.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 12:20 PM
    That was a nice video!

Hey JC! Big fan of your work! I was going to do the test but by all mean you do it!

It's hard to make it an apples with apples comparison because of the way BB10 works though.

Maybe we can limit the apps to only 8 and compare apps which are available as native on both ios and BB10.

That would make the comparison fairer.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 12:35 PM
    Seems to be two separate issues at play.... how welll does the processor multitask.... and how well does the OS multitask... As I am not well versed in how processors on smartphones mutlitask I cannot comment on it... I am however well aware how multitasking should and does work.,.... the last true multitasking OS I used was on the Amiga... you could actually format a floppy... use your moden... defrag a hard drive at one time.... even current PC cannot do this... notice how your computer hickups when you insert a CD or DVD in your PC... it is called task holding.... the computer suspends the task in the background while the forground task if performed..... Apple and Sammy are really good at this... task holding is not multitasking.... having multiple programs interact with each other at the same time is mutlitasking... Played wih BB 10 extensively and it actually does taks multitasking..... I cannot speak to Windows Phones as I am not familiar with it... as pointed out.... if you arrange a test to favor your device of course it will look great.... that why to me real world testing is what counts.... As it is OS efficiency with adequte hardware that determines speed.... BB10 is very efficient in how it does things.... Apple organizes things extemely well allowing great access to apps and task and a great user experience... but compared to BB I would hardly call it multitasking.....
    10-03-14 01:18 PM
    this multitasking????? lol open app and back to home scren .. this app not running but app stanby... this multitasking??? video *****
    Chrisy and Just Me like this.
    10-03-14 01:48 PM
    As already said, THIS IS NOT MULTITASKING. This is switching apps, not multiple apps working at the same time. However I am impressed with iPhones performance
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-03-14 01:49 PM
    I'm not sure about tests like this: my experience with my iPad Air is that when I switch between apps, sometimes the "frozen" screen is that of the session from an hour ago (Chrome having tabs that have been closed for quite some time, but then the screen refreshes).

Here's the most significant thing about BlackBerry's multitasking and the Passport: I don't notice app switching on the BB: On my iPad Air, the app switching experience IS noticeable, even if it's just a fraction of a second, it's a noticeable fraction. I wait for apps to refresh after they're foregrounded. If the A8 is better than the A7, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's not whether the Passport can beat the 'A8', it's whether Apple has implemented a better multitasking model in iOS8... I'm certainly not seeing it on my updated iPad Air.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-03-14 01:58 PM
    Seems to be two separate issues at play.... how welll does the processor multitask.... and how well does the OS multitask... As I am not well versed in how processors on smartphones mutlitask I cannot comment on it... I am however well aware how multitasking should and does work.,.... the last true multitasking OS I used was on the Amiga... you could actually format a floppy... use your moden... defrag a hard drive at one time.... even current PC cannot do this... notice how your computer hickups when you insert a CD or DVD in your PC... it is called task holding.... the computer suspends the task in the background while the forground task if performed..... Apple and Sammy are really good at this... task holding is not multitasking.... having multiple programs interact with each other at the same time is mutlitasking... Played wih BB 10 extensively and it actually does taks multitasking..... I cannot speak to Windows Phones as I am not familiar with it... as pointed out.... if you arrange a test to favor your device of course it will look great.... that why to me real world testing is what counts.... As it is OS efficiency with adequte hardware that determines speed.... BB10 is very efficient in how it does things.... Apple organizes things extemely well allowing great access to apps and task and a great user experience... but compared to BB I would hardly call it multitasking.....
    Well spoken sir.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052
    Tech_Fan_Boy likes this.
    10-03-14 01:59 PM
    BB10 basically handles things the same way. There are some instances (video in browser) that is different in that it will play after its minimized. BUT for the most part all 3 OS will do task switching. Play a game and all OS's will pause the game when you switch out of it. playing music via the music player and it will continue to play as you switch out of it. App switching is pretty much how they all work including BB10.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    10-03-14 02:00 PM
    this multitasking????? lol open app and back to home scren .. this app not running but app stanby... this multitasking??? video *****
    This is one thing I cannot stand on my iPhone! Every app that I use stays open and "paused" in the background. The. I double press the home button to switch apps. Well, after a day the apps in that paused list is so huge that to scroll to it takes forever. So I end up just going back to the home screen and opening the app again from there.

You can close apps on the iPhone my double pressing the home button and flicking apps away, but I prefer being able to close out apps in the app. Not sure if BlackBerry still does that though.

Right now, if I double press the home button I have 25 apps open and have to swipe to see them.
    10-03-14 02:08 PM
96 123 ...