You all have to share that and make people aware about how apple's gimmicks keep being awful ;-)
    Just look at the video. The brand new Iphone 6 will come with Sapphire glass while the BlackBerry Passport will sport the newest Gorilla Glass
    Copy and paste the link on the browser or it won't work.

CORNING� GORILLA� GLASS | THE GORILLA CHANNEL
    08-22-14 02:33 AM
    08-22-14 02:40 AM
    The link doesn't drive me to the vid, but if you copy and paste my previous link it should work
    08-22-14 02:54 AM
    Sapphire is sweet. How is it not?

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 05:29 AM
    Sapphire is sweet. How is it not?

Posted via CB10
    Sapphire will broke more easily dude
    08-22-14 06:56 AM
    The sapphire glass will only be used in the 5.5 inch version
    08-22-14 04:31 PM
    Bah, it's all marketing anyway. Gorilla Glass, Sapphire Glass, whatever. Just release the darn Passport already, with whatEVER glass they want to use. I'll slap a screen protector on it and I'm straight.
    smart548, Deitzanova and maclaskey like this.
    08-22-14 05:27 PM
    How about a drop test between the two?

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 05:29 PM
    How about a drop test between the two?

Posted via CB10
    I'm interested in that too Anyway consider that my girlfriend's Q5 dropped -a couple of months ago - from the fourth floor and the phone is fully working No scratch, the screen is ok and the keyboard too.. If BlackBerry keep working that hard on its devices 'hardness' I think there will be no match for iphone :-P�
    08-22-14 06:06 PM
    IPhone, what?

Posted via my QNX Z30
    08-22-14 06:07 PM
    I believe sapphire glass is pretty good. My old Sony Ericsson phone had one and 6 years later, even if the keypad had gone s***, the screen is still as pristine as I first bought it.

I don't know about Gorilla Glass and how good its quality but I think they're probably the same.

But if sapphire breaks easier than the Gorilla, then Gorilla it is!

Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone.
    08-22-14 06:50 PM
    Is sapphire the same as crystal sapphire in the new iPhone 6.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 07:09 PM
    Sapphire is a crystal and not glass at all and there is a fair bit written on it as of late with Apple going to sapphire. Better scratch resistance than GG3, but not stronger. The claim is that it is stronger than GG3 if the GG3 glass is scratched. The debate seems to center on how often devices are scratched versus cracked or broken without scratches. Some seem to think scratches on GG3 are extremely rare so the benefit of sapphire is limited and the strength of GG3 is more relevant. Downsides of sapphire are that it takes more energy to pass the same amount of light, so more power use and it is much more expensive to produce. This may change with Apple as a customer, but it seems the deal with GT Advanced Technologies is exclusive to Apple so I doubt BlackBerry could get it to use Anyway. Apple is also working on a laminate with glass to reduce costs, power consumption requirements and weight since it is also heavier which I suspect we will see in iPhone 6. Glare is also a potential downside to sapphire.

So if you don't scratch your phone screen, GG3 is likely better and the demo from Corning attempts to show that even after being in a rotating drum with a whole bunch of scratchable objects, the GG3 is over 2.5 times stronger in a test that simulates breaking on a rock like the death of my first Z10.

Z30 Rocks!
    Ealaionta and anon(4044683) like this.
    08-22-14 08:54 PM
    Is sapphire the same as crystal sapphire in the new iPhone 6.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. That's the stuff. It's expensive but tough.
    08-22-14 08:55 PM
    Sapphire is a crystal and not glass at all and there is a fair bit written on it as of late with Apple going to sapphire. Better scratch resistance than GG3, but not stronger. The claim is that it is stronger than GG3 if the GG3 glass is scratched. The debate seems to center on how often devices are scratched versus cracked or broken without scratches. Some seem to think scratches on GG3 are extremely rare so the benefit of sapphire is limited and the strength of GG3 is more relevant. Downsides of sapphire are that it takes more energy to pass the same amount of light, so more power use and it is much more expensive to produce. This may change with Apple as a customer, but it seems the deal with GT Advanced Technologies is exclusive to Apple so I doubt BlackBerry could get it to use Anyway. Apple is also working on a laminate with glass to reduce costs, power consumption requirements and weight since it is also heavier which I suspect we will see in iPhone 6. Glare is also a potential downside to sapphire.

So if you don't scratch your phone screen, GG3 is likely better and the demo from Corning attempts to show that even after being in a rotating drum with a whole bunch of scratchable objects, the GG3 is over 2.5 times stronger in a test that simulates breaking on a rock like the death of my first Z10.

Z30 Rocks!
    I always use a screen protector, like everyone should be using, on my phones. So getting the glass scratched, doesn't worry me. I'm much more worried with my glass breaking and since the GG3 is stronger than the sapphire, I'm glad BlackBerry picked that one

Posted via CB10
    DeeLishusOne likes this.
    08-22-14 10:42 PM
    Ditto.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 12:58 AM
    Share the info dudes ;-) Apple should stop selling gimmicks for K$: people gotta know what they are buying! After beeing aware they-of course- can keep spending as much as they want on what suit their needs best.. But let's try to keep everybody informed
    08-23-14 05:20 AM
    Leica uses sapphire for their -P version digital M cameras.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 06:08 AM
    Leica uses sapphire for their -P version digital M cameras.

Posted via CB10
    Ummm...hahaha, OK, lol.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-23-14 10:52 AM
    Is it known for certain what Apple are using or is it just rumour and speculation? I thought they keep all details under wraps and only when it is released for certain will we know.
    08-23-14 12:13 PM
    Is it known for certain what Apple are using or is it just rumour and speculation? I thought they keep all details under wraps and only when it is released for certain will we know.
    Yes it should be certain
    08-23-14 01:36 PM
    Share the info dudes ;-) Apple should stop selling gimmicks for K$...
    This can be said for almost everybody. Except BlackBerry. BlackBerry is purpose-driven communication for the people who value security and efficiency over apps and social connections (although BlackBerry does some of that as well).
    will308 likes this.
    08-23-14 02:07 PM
    Sapphire is not a gimmick, and will be on the 4.7" and 5.5" iPhone. MKBHD did a pretty thorough review on it. I don't see one better than the other. They both are able to flex alot, and are scratch resistant within a reasonable manner.

Posted via rotary phone
    08-23-14 07:17 PM
    Yeah, if the Passport were sporting sapphire, you guys would be singing its praises.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat likes this.
    08-23-14 11:01 PM
    True sapphire is hard but will shatter easily when dropped. Apple will use a modified version of sapphire to make it more flexible. I'm curious to see if they are able to keep cost down

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 11:11 PM
28 12