Hey All!

I have been reading a lot of Crackberry threads over the past couple of weeks and especially over the past few days. They seem to be mostly from current BB users (if I am not mistaken).

To be honest, I have never owned a BB. Canadian born, currently living in Brazil, I started my venture into the smartphone world with an HTC, then an iPhone and have never looked back.

I have become frustrated with the iPhones of late - poor battery life mainly. Being an entrepreneur I spend most of my time communicating (emails, messages, skype, etc...) and checking up on and running my software, so the iPhone has become too small for my needs. Hence, the look at BB and the Passport.

So, all of that being said, are there any iOSers (former or current) that have tested out the Passport or moved to BB OS 10 that could weigh in on the subject of their experience? If not, can you Crackberry'ers give me your take on the main differences between the OS's?

Thanks in advance for your time and your input.
    09-25-14 06:45 AM
    Giving you a bump as I do know there are 5S owners that had jump ship.
    Jason Coombs likes this.
    09-30-14 01:33 PM
    I have used BlackBerry for the last 7+ years, so can't speak from personal experience, but I know many who have moved off of BlackBerry to iphone and Android, and even when they praise it and poke fun at BlackBerry (pre-Passport, their heads are turning back now with its release ) , the one common thing they say is that they miss messaging on BlackBerry - there is fairly consistent agreement that BlackBerry has the best communications available, especially with Hub.

So, since you are saying you primarily use it for communications, I think it is worth a shot. At the end of the day, everyone will have to make their own mind up on whether it's the right device for them, but if battery life and communications are your biggest use cases (among others I'm sure), I think you'll be happy.

Posted via CB10
    Jason Coombs likes this.
    09-30-14 01:46 PM
    I use an iPod touch and iPad Air, though I've never owned an iPhone.

Obviously the main drawback to BlackBerry 10 is the lack of apps in comparison. Many can be side loaded.. I've put on Instagram and my banking app, which are kind of important, though I have them on my iOS devices. If you NEED your apps with you at all times, then maybe the Passport isn't for you. I use my iPad Air for Showtime Anytime, Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, and Real Racing 3. That's basically it. I don't *NEED* any of those things with me, and if I am ever somewhere for a while, like a doctor, an airplane, I can just use my iPad for those apps.

The Passport does what it's meant to do extremely well. I would rather browse the web on my Passport than on my iPad Air or even my retina Mac Book Pro. Texting, emailing and BBMing are amazing on it. It is FUN to reply to someone on the Passport, if that makes any sense. When I go back to typing or doing pretty much anything other than playing games on my iPad or iPod, they just seem kind of outdated in terms of the OS. Of course the iPad Air and iPod touch hardware is nice, just like the iPhone, but the Passport makes them seem less luxurious and not as efficient to use. There's a lot of poking and tapping on iOS, whereas on BlackBerry 10, there is a lot of swiping and gestures.

The Passport exaggerates all of BlackBerry's strengths and lessens some of its weaknesses. The strengths of course being communication. Messaging is just brilliant on it, and BlackBerry has even made phone calls better. The speaker and call quality are stellar, whether it be the speakerphone or just the earpiece. Calls are crystal clear at all times, and the speakerphone is just the best for calls. Chatting with friends is so easy, and an incoming text or email message is so simple to reply to or do away with.

I've watched YouTube clips and other videos from news sites, and they display fine. The screen is big enough and they sound great. But I wouldn't download Real Racing 3 on this phone. I've never used my BlackBerry for games, and I never will.

Android and iOS are very similar in terms of their intents and purposes, but BlackBerry is in a class of its own.
    Jason Coombs likes this.
    09-30-14 01:47 PM