Hey there, so I'll be in Europe for a week and have an ATT international setup already, but I got a text I need their Passport WiFi app. Doesn't seem to send the setup text to my phone, keeps failing. Do I need to use this app for wifi? Thanks

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 09:37 AM
    Could this be provider specific?

I had my bold 9900 in Iceland 2 years ago and used WiFi BBM call without issues...

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 09:55 AM
    Well I'm not in Europe yet, but the text said I needed to download the ATT app, but seems silly. Was hoping I could use wifi in Europe just like here in the US, not needing some app. I wanted to get it done before I left, but maybe you need to be overseas for the app?
    05-15-16 10:46 AM
    I don't use Att but seems strange to use a particular WiFi app... can't you just connect to WiFi using the settings? What benefits bring using the Att app?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-15-16 11:14 AM
    Sounds weird, glad at&t is just for the USA.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 10:12 PM
    That is strange as I just get on the local WiFi and I have no issues with my Passport. Just got back from Venice & Amsterdam last week and no issues at all with Skype, Whatsapp, or Viber WiFi calls. Rocking 24-7 with my Passport SE & semi retired Z10.
    05-16-16 01:03 AM
    Lots of text below. But is there harm in installing the app, and how would you determine if there was or wasn't? There is a whole lot of odd things if whoever told you needed the app is correct.

I have spent about 6 weeks in Europe this year. I have an AT&T Passport for work and a TMo personal Passport. My travels have been in N. Europe. Other than the pleasure of WiFi phone calls with the TMo Passport, I've had no issues, or see any difference in WiFi connections. If you think about it, you are roaming on other carriers' cellular system and using a hotel's system designed to work with a huge variation of devices, from Iphones, laptops, Kindles, Androids. The WiFi system is very adoptable. Basic question as to why AT&T would design a WiFi software that didn't work well in a region where there is frequent travel?

I also believe there is an industry WiFi standard.

But doesn't the phone's WiFi ability come from the BB OS radio files? Considering how little interest any US carrier has selling BB phones, its doubtful AT&T made a version to sell thru their business unit versus consumer stores.
    05-16-16 03:38 AM
    Thanks for the replies! I have no clue what the app is meant to do and can't find particularly good info on why ATT wants me to use it. Guess I'll just ignore it and try to use Wifi normal.
    05-16-16 10:07 AM
    I was just in the UAE for two weeks and just used regular WiFi whenever I found it, since it was faster than the free data provided by t-mobile.

It's at&t so I'm sure they just want you to download more of their bloatware.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 10:30 AM
    This at&t app is to allow you to connect to certain PAID WiFi networks while traveling internationally for free. Att has a series of relationships internationally and using that app you would be able to login to these network automatically and for free. Not the end of the world if you don't have it. I didn't find it very useful in 6 months across europe

Posted via CB10
    donmateo likes this.
    05-16-16 12:33 PM
    Well, at least we all know now what the app is for hahaha

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-16-16 12:52 PM
    LOL thanks for the explanation. I ended up making it through my trip just fine without it.
    05-25-16 07:27 AM
    Hey there, so I'll be in Europe for a week and have an ATT international setup already, but I got a text I need their Passport WiFi app. Doesn't seem to send the setup text to my phone, keeps failing. Do I need to use this app for wifi? Thanks

Posted via CB10
    There is one App that I Used before for Traveling.
    I got it from the Google Play Store.
    This wifi App has the most of the WiFi Passport's around the World Saved. You just check where is a WiFi near by that is already Saved in the App and enter the Passport and your good to surf or use it.

 P A S S P O R T [ S E ]  | CB App |
    05-26-16 10:44 AM