A Chinese website, digi.tech.qq.com recently reviewed the BlackBerry Passport. But not only did they review the Passport, they tore it down, giving us a look at the Passport's hardware.

So here's the first picture showing the motherboard, the part you're looking at is - obviously - pointed towards the rear of the Passport, the heatshield's (the metal cover's shielding the chips) seem pretty thick, they are perforated and covered by graphite thermal stickers (not shown in this image), in order to maximize heat dissipation.
    The placement and layout of the motherboard reminds me of the Q10's motherboard: the board is placed on the right side.
    Inside the BlackBerry Passport: a look at it's hardware-113158934.jpg

The second image digitech.qq.com posted has the heatshields removed, enabling us to have a look at the components used, again the Passport's motherboard shows resemblance to the Q10's motherboard, for instance the eMMC NAND is positioned above the CPU and RAM (RAM is placed on top of the CPU - in a so called Package on Package configuration - so the CPU is not visible).

What's interesting is that although they're teardown reveals that the eMMC in the Passport is sourced from Samsung, my own Passport uses eMMC NAND from Toshiba: productname "032GE4".
    The components integrated in the Passport are actually pretty high-end , both the Samsung eMMC NAND, and the Toshiba eMMC NAND are eMMC version 5.0 chips, support for this version was first added by Qualcomm, quite recently, in the Snapdragon 801 series.
    Inside the BlackBerry Passport: a look at it's hardware-113158943.jpg

What isn't visible in the photo above is the CPU; the Passport utilizes a Snapdragon 801 SoC, a MSM8974AAv3 to be precise. Although BlackBerry states the CPU operates at 2.2Ghz, it's actual frequency is closer to 2,3 Ghz, since it operates at 2265Mhz. (I wish they just advertised it being a 2.3Ghz CPU).

The RAM is sourced from Samsung, it's part number is -as you can see- K3QF6F60MM, the RAM is actually rated to work at 930mhz, but since the memory controller of the MSM8974AA is set to work at 800Mhz, it will probably be limited tot 800Mhz. The RAM in my Passport is also sourced form Samsung i'm assuming those parts are the same.

The teardown reveals that the eMMC memory used in their Specimen is comes from Samsung. According to this brochure (.pdf) and this page the KLMBG4GEAC eMMC NAND package is configured to use version 5.0 of the eMMC standard. Support for eMMC 5.0 was added in the Snapdragon 801 series SoC which the Passport uses.
    The sequential read speed the Samsung eMMC NAND should be able to operate at is 270 MB/s more than twice the speed you're average laptop hard-disk can read sequentially. The sequential write speed is 70MB/s.
    However these are theoretical speeds, how this Samsung eMMC NAND performs in real world tests, i do not know.

However that isn't the whole eMMC story: i discovered my Passport isn't using Samsung's eMMC but rather NAND sourced from Toshiba, which the phone refers to as "032GE4"

There isn't a lot of information regarding the eMMC NAND "032GE4", it is used in the Toshiba WT8-B-102 windows tablet according to notebookcheck.net. The Tablet and it's eMMC has been tested by notebookcheck.net and write performance is pretty good at 75.74MB/S. Read speeds are very reasonable at 166MB/s, but pales in comparison to the Samsung eMMC NAND.
    The low read speed of the "032GE4", as tested by Notebookcheck.net is however explainable: the Toshiba Tablet uses a Intel Atom "Bay-Trail" processor, which only supports one eMMC version 4.51 controller (eMMC is backwards compatible). The speed of a eMMC controller version 4.51 is limited in comparison to eMMC version 5.0.
    Proof that Toshiba's "032GE4" eMMC NAND is v.50 compliant, can be found in this Pastebin paste (the output of a Linux dmesg command):
    mmc0: new HS400 MMC card at address 0001
    mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 032GE4 29.1 GiB

The MMC card at adress 0001 (the "032GE4") can use HS400, HS400 is part of the eMMC version 5.0 specification.

A further search revealed that the Toshiba "032GE4" eMMC NAND is also utilised in the brand new Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact, and someone from Japan put the 032GE4 eMMC NAND in the Z3 compact tablet to the test.
    It reached the following results: sequential read 209.98MB/s, sequential write 65.94MB/s.
    Real world performance of the Tosbiba eMMC "032GE4" NAND used in some of the Passport's is about 70MB/s writing and 209MB/s read speed.

Other components that are soldered tot the front of the board are a Broadcom BCM4339 wifi and bluetooth chip, a Qualcomm PM8941 power-management chip, a RF7389 Radio-Frequency power-managment chip, a LSM330DC gyroscope/accelerometer form ST.Microelectronis. Aswell as a WTR1625L transiever for sending and transmitting radiosignals.

The third image posted by digi.tech.qq.com reveals the back of the motherboard, the back houses Qualcomm's WDC9320 audio-codec chip, another Power-Management chip the PM8841 and a ANX7808 SlimPort transmitter for audio and video output. :
    Inside the BlackBerry Passport: a look at it's hardware-113158944.jpg

So there you have it, the innards of the Passport revieled by digi.qq.com for the first time.

Source:
    http://digi.tech.qq.com/a/20141107/009251.ht
    Last edited by Dodger52; 12-01-14 at 03:04 AM.
    11-30-14 09:49 AM
    Cool! I haven't seen a teardown on it yet.

-Freeze

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 09:54 AM
    Finally i'm just about done with my original post, might edit a few more times in order to get rid of typo's and / or, if necessary to correct some info.
    11-30-14 12:18 PM
    Could someone with the power to do so help me out and change the Title of this thread to:
    "Inside the BlackBerry Passport: a look at it's hardware"

Stupid me, posting the thread prematurely....

Edit:
    Thanks BigBadWulf
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-30-14 12:36 PM
    Paratek antena?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-30-14 01:02 PM
    Paratek antena?

Posted via CB10
    The steel I-beam is the antenna. They had mentioned that at the launch presentation!

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 01:13 PM
    Some more read - https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...id=L6ARGY180LW

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    11-30-14 01:17 PM
    There's a Passport teardown on youtube, think the guys are from Vietnam.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 01:25 PM
    Paratek antena?

Posted via CB10

According to BlackBerry the Passport does use Paratek antenna's

According to the people performing the teardown, the antenna's are integrated on the plastic board near the speakers.
    11-30-14 01:30 PM
    whenever i look at tear downs of modern phones, I really can't help but wonder why they couldn't have fitted the battery in with a removable design - doesn't look so much bigger that a battery compartment is an issue to my mind
    Q10Bold likes this.
    11-30-14 02:26 PM
    whenever i look at tear downs of modern phones, I really can't help but wonder why they couldn't have fitted the battery in with a removable design - doesn't look so much bigger that a battery compartment is an issue to my mind
    I would have loved it if my Passport had a removable battery, that being said, it would have probably made the Passport more expensive and maybe less rigid?

More importantly BlackBerry needs to be profitable again, that means planned obsolescence:
    When you're Passport battery dies, don't buy a new battery, buy a brand new BlackBerry.

Again I totally agree with you, but it does make sense from BlackBerry's point of view.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Dodger52; 12-01-14 at 01:31 AM.
    12-01-14 01:02 AM
    Great post O.P. Thank You!

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    12-01-14 01:16 AM
    Great post O.P. Thank You!

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    And it gets even better!!!
    Remember how HS400 is a part of the eMMC 5.0 standard, i've been doing some digging and now there's now doubt in my mind that BB10 /QNX 8.0.0, supports HS400.
    I Found the following configuration file in the proc/boot directory, the directory that contains the files from the startup-image:
    Inside the BlackBerry Passport: a look at it's hardware-k6cobd.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Inside the BlackBerry Passport: a look at it's hardware-k6cobd.jpg  
    12-01-14 12:47 PM
    yeah i know where you are coming from, but I guess where it starts and stops for me is 'what does this device do for me' not 'what does it do for those who make it'. We won't ever see a return to removable batteries if this catches on, and I've always felt a consumers only power is a buy or no buy. Sadly i am shameless and got the passport regardless of my high principles
    I would have loved it if my Passport had a removable battery, that being said, it would have probably made the Passport more expensive and maybe less rigid?

More importantly BlackBerry needs to be profitable again, that means planned obsolescence:
    When you're Passport battery dies, don't buy a new battery, buy a brand new BlackBerry.

Again I totally agree with you, but it does make sense from BlackBerry's point of view.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 01:29 PM
    yeah i know where you are coming from, but I guess where it starts and stops for me is 'what does this device do for me' not 'what does it do for those who make it'. We won't ever see a return to removable batteries if this catches on, and I've always felt a consumers only power is a buy or no buy. Sadly i am shameless and got the passport regardless of my high principles
    Are you shameless or is did BlackBerry keep an acceptable balance between what the Passport does for you and what it does for BlackBerry?
    chinmay007 likes this.
    12-02-14 12:55 PM
    The WRT1625L Qualcomm transceiver is the first to support carrier aggregation with a significant expansion of the number of active RF bands.
    You can get a die photo from Chipworks in Ottawa for USD250.
    That's what matters if you use your phone to live stream HD tv without paying for cable and display it on your big screen HDMI TV... all those live soccer and hockey games...

Antenna and RF transceiver is what makes the Passport better than the Z30 in reception.
    Dodger52 likes this.
    12-02-14 01:49 PM
    Any docs about the Paratek Antenna used?
    Cheers...

ODIN 9520 / 5.0.0.1743 Hybrid / 1850mAh
    12-02-14 01:50 PM
    Did not see it but it must be better or at least as good as the one in Z30.
    The linearity of the RF receiver is worse than in z30. I see that when I watch TV next to the microwave oven. It causes problems for the PlayBook. It had no issues with z30, it causes problems sometimes with the passport.
    That tells me that qualcomm sacrificed IIP3 for sensitivity and bandwidth in the new transceiver.
    The playbook has worse antenna and worse receiver sensitivity than Z30.
    Passport has best receiver sensitivity but seems to suffer from worse IIP3 than z30.
    12-02-14 01:57 PM
    I guess, I was most likely on wi-fi in the kitchen with the microwave oven on, so the linearity problem is not due to Qualcomm's cellular transceiver, but rather due to Broadcom's wi-fi transceiver!
    12-02-14 02:37 PM
    Any docs about the Paratek Antenna used?
    Cheers...

ODIN 9520 / 5.0.0.1743 Hybrid / 1850mAh
    I don't believe there's official documentation publicly available about the Passport's Paratek antenna but then again it's pretty much confirmed by BlackBerry in this topic:
    https://supportforums.blackberry.com...message.id=466

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 12:54 AM