I can't wait to have this in my pocket...any rumors on prices? Can it possibly be in the Nexus-range?
    06-26-14 12:11 PM
    Remember, the size of the passport will give a good sized screen even with letter boxing. On a smartphone everything is a compromise, and BlackBerry is currently focusing on enterprise. Videos are probably lower down on the list of enterprise priorities than having to slide out a keyboard before typing. A slider may be a better solution for you but I have come round to the passport's way of doing things as keyboard shortcuts are a major want from me. I would rather have a screen that isn't quite as good for videos rather than having to slide out a keyboard just to page my hub to the next day etc. Also, sliders are generally thicker and have smaller displays and batteries to accommodate the clunky slide mechanism. As the thinness and lightness of the passport is one of the reasons it it still a usable device at such a large size, this is yet another compromise I would not like to make.

I do hope BlackBerry make a slider as it would make a lot of people happy but I'm personally much happier with the passport.

Posted via CB10
    *ultimate facepalm*

I was responding to the claim that the passport was the best solution for screen real estate, as I've said before and I'll say again, I love the passport, unlike some I saw it's potential from the 'ugly' leaks that were first posted.. but you and I agree completely it's amazing and worth the sacrifice especially if you don't watch a lot of videos.. but it is not the best solution for screen real estate and again you've agreed with me..

And it's not just about videos, with a bigger, more appropriate ratio, 3D manipulation and working with word documents etc. In landscape become a really pleasant experience, as I'm sure it will be with the Passport because of the bigger screen

EDIT: my comment was directed @Warluck who has yet to respond, if you didn't make the claim then my response isn't that relevant to you..

Check Out TechCraze
    06-26-14 12:20 PM
    Okay enough words..

Some are from Q10/5, some from Z10, spot the difference
    It's not my fault if BlackBerry decided to waste the upper portion of my screen... And have a big control on the bottom.

Also, sliders are generally thicker and have smaller displays and batteries to accommodate the clunky slide mechanism.
    Yes! Thicker phones all the way! They are better, they can host a bigger battery and you can handle them much better.
    But, the slide mechanism of the Torch was really slim. It was about 2 millimeters, counting both parts. And it takes space mainly on the sides.
    06-26-14 02:46 PM
    *ultimate facepalm*

I was responding to the claim that the passport was the best solution for screen real estate, as I've said before and I'll say again, I love the passport, unlike some I saw it's potential from the 'ugly' leaks that were first posted.. but you and I agree completely it's amazing and worth the sacrifice especially if you don't watch a lot of videos.. but it is not the best solution for screen real estate and again you've agreed with me..

And it's not just about videos, with a bigger, more appropriate ratio, 3D manipulation and working with word documents etc. In landscape become a really pleasant experience, as I'm sure it will be with the Passport because of the bigger screen

EDIT: my comment was directed @Warluck who has yet to respond, if you didn't make the claim then my response isn't that relevant to you..

Check Out TechCraze
    Then we are in agreement

Is there a best aspect ratio for screen real estate?

I think that depends on content more than anything. I don't think we will ever see a perfect screen until the BlackBerry Stretch comes out next year, it is rumoured to have a screen that can go anywhere between Q10 and PB size.

Anyway, I will be honest I find 16:9 far too much of a letter box. I like at least 16:10 on any screen, phone or laptop if I intend to use it in landscape for any length of time. 4:3 looks to be about the sweet spot for tablets, would be interesting if there was a 4:3 passport. Now that might be the sweet spot?

Posted via CB10
    tinochiko likes this.
    06-26-14 03:28 PM
    Blackberry better come up with a very unique massive advertisement about this new device. Or else , everything will go to waste. worse case scenario, android might copy it and show it to media before BlackBerry does. Hurry up

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    06-26-14 05:25 PM
    Can someone quote me a price on a black BlackBerry PassPort I want to buy one please! I hear they are "AWESOME!"

Posted via CB10
    abdalla889 likes this.
    07-10-14 06:35 PM
    Don't like smudges on your screen? Well.... oh and look half of the crap you need to type is going to be up in the prediction and virtual row, on your screen you don't want to smudge.

The don't need to touch the screen much "advantage" should be touted on the classic... not the passport.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 06:50 PM
    Don't like smudges on your screen? Well.... oh and look half of the crap you need to type is going to be up in the prediction and virtual row, on your screen you don't want to smudge.

The don't need to touch the screen much "advantage" should be touted on the classic... not the passport.

Posted via CB10
    Every additional piece of news on this device points to an even worse picture of just how terribly this device will handle any type of productivity task. Efficiency was definitely not part of the plan when they thought this device up.

Posted via CB10

The lack of SHIFT and ALT keys is a sticking point for me. I don't really see how "swipe for on-screen menu, choose from touch screen" is quicker than hammering "ALT + key" for punctuation. At the moment I can type out full sentences with my eyes closed. With the passport I'd have to be looking at the touch screen for punctuation - and that really sucks.
    So far, this is one of the only people here that aptly understands why the Passport has a crippled keyboard and that because of this it's keyboard experience will be mediocre or worse.
    Last edited by ZeroBarrier; 07-10-14 at 07:30 PM.
    07-10-14 07:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    You don't need to touch the screen to input characters. Why are people so confused about this. When you hit "sym" on the Q10 the symbols pop up on the screen but you just click the corresponding keyboard key to input that character. The passport will be the exact same.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 07:39 PM
    You don't need to touch the screen to input characters. Why are people so confused about this. When you hit "sym" on the Q10 the symbols pop up on the screen but you just click the corresponding keyboard key to input that character. The passport will be the exact same.

Posted via CB10
    And how pray tell do you click on the contextual 4th row? Or how do you click alt, shift or sym? The screen is the only way. This is 1 step forward and 3 steps back.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 07:44 PM
    Every additional piece of news on this device points to an even worse picture of just how terribly this device will handle any type of productivity task. Efficiency was definitely not part of the plan when they thought this device up.

Posted via CB10

So far, this is one of the only people here that aptly understands why the Passport has a crippled keyboard and that because of this it's keyboard experience will be mediocre or worse.
    Every new piece of news has me more interested in it. Your last statement reads more like, this is one of the only people who completely agrees with me so his understanding of the unreleased keyboard is superior to those who do not share my opinions or assumptions. Regardless, I must admit this unreleased phone is generating a lot of discussion.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    07-10-14 08:01 PM
    And how pray tell do you click on the contextual 4th row? Or how do you click alt, shift or sym? The screen is the only way. This is 1 step forward and 3 steps back.

Posted via CB10
    What makes you think there will be 4 rows of contextual keys? Theres only 3 rows on a Q10 when you hit "sym".

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 08:33 PM
    What makes you think there will be 4 rows of contextual keys? Theres only 3 rows on a Q10 when you hit "sym".

Posted via CB10
    What I meant by 4th contextual row is the fact that we have 3 rows of hardware keys and a 4th persistent row that is contextual; meaning the displayed symbols will be different all the time depending on what your typing (which sounds terrible for productivity, it means you'll never know what's on that row until you look at the row carefully). The bottom most row on the virtual keyboard is persistent across the entire OS when focused on a typing field, this much we know. The rest of the virtual keyboard which must be invoked by either a gesture or on-screen alt/sym key will be 3 rows high and will have numbers and commonly used symbols, we can guess that a second gesture or on-screen alt key will bring forth extended symbols.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 09:03 PM
    What I meant by 4th contextual row is the fact that we have 3 rows of hardware keys and a 4th persistent row that is contextual; meaning the displayed symbols will be different all the time depending on what your typing (which sounds terrible for productivity, it means you'll never know what's on that row until you look at the row carefully). The bottom most row on the virtual keyboard is persistent across the entire OS when focused on a typing field, this much we know. The rest of the virtual keyboard which must be invoked by either a gesture or on-screen alt/sym key will be 3 rows high and will have numbers and commonly used symbols, we can guess that a second gesture or on-screen alt key will bring forth extended symbols.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure many people will disable that contextual row and just use the symbols as needed using the normal 3 rows. Just like the useless Q10 word "predictions".

Ultimately we can speculate all we want, but we should wait until the final device is released to know for sure.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 11:11 PM
    I'm sure many people will disable that contextual row and just use the symbols as needed using the normal 3 rows. Just like the useless Q10 word "predictions".

Ultimately we can speculate all we want, but we should wait until the final device is released to know for sure.

Posted via CB10
    You're assuming BlackBerry will give the people the choice of turning off the contextual row and using only the full virtual keyboard; and if they're not giving users the choice of using alt, shift and sym keys coupled with symbols printed on each key like a full featured QWERTY keyboard, what makes you think they'll give you the option of turning off their "innovative" (regressive actually) contextual row?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 03:26 AM
    I'm sure many people will disable that contextual row
    Then you can say goodbye to commas, question marks and exclamation marks.
    07-11-14 03:32 AM
    What I meant by 4th contextual row is the fact that we have 3 rows of hardware keys and a 4th persistent row that is contextual; meaning the displayed symbols will be different all the time depending on what your typing(which sounds terrible for productivity, it means you'll never know what's on that row until you look at the row carefully) . The bottom most row on the virtual keyboard is persistent across the entire OS when focused on a typing field, this much we know. The rest of the virtual keyboard which must be invoked by either a gesture or on-screen alt/sym key will be 3 rows high and will have numbers and commonly used symbols, we can guess that a second gesture or on-screen alt key will bring forth extended symbols.

Posted via CB10
    It's called learning? The keyboard of say the Z10 isn't as productive for the user from the first days of use, after the user has spent more time with it and the keyboard has learnt and adapted to how the user types then it reaches maximum productivity.. I hate having to look at keys that I never use and spending time to find the ones I do, this way what I use most is just a touch away.. I don't understand how you can't see the productivity of that..

And as has been consistently said, we can say what we think it looks like etc. and prejudice the phone to our hearts content, but until we've held one and used one for a decent amount of time, we can't truthfully speak with confidence about things like productivity and how it will work.. even with all the extra info given.. the proof is in the pudding

Check Out TechCraze
    07-11-14 04:22 AM
    It's called learning? The keyboard of say the Z10 isn't as productive for the user from the first days of use, after the user has spent more time with it and the keyboard has learnt and adapted to how the user types then it reaches maximum productivity.. I hate having to look at keys that I never use and spending time to find the ones I do, this way what I use most is just a touch away.. I don't understand how you can't see the productivity of that..

And as has been consistently said, we can say what we think it looks like etc. and prejudice the phone to our hearts content, but until we've held one and used one for a decent amount of time, we can't truthfully speak with confidence about things like productivity and how it will work.. even with all the extra info given.. the proof is in the pudding

Check Out TechCraze
    Learning it? Do you understand what contextual means? It means that they'll never be the same numbers or symbols; it'll be constantly changing. I don't care how long you try to learn it, you won't know what's there till you stop and look at it. That's a cold hard fact, not an opinion.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 04:31 AM
    Learning it? Do you understand what contextual means? It means that they'll never be the same numbers or symbols; it'll be constantly changing. I don't care how long you try to learn it, you won't know what's there till you stop and look at it. That's a cold hard fact, not an opinion.

Posted via CB10
    It means they'll differ depending on the context right? So the only learning limit is the number of contexts, the more contexts there are the harder it will be to learn.. so contrary to your 'cold hard fact' all you'll need to do is learn what they'll be for each context..

EDIT: and after reviewing the article, only three contexts were mentioned.. are you saying no one will ever be able to learn how the keys behave in three environments? As I understand it within the environments the keys will be the same...

I don't see that as being so different to how the Z10 keyboard is now... sometimes it just shows the keyboard, sometimes it shows keyboard with numbers.. not a difficult learning issue at all for me..

Check Out TechCraze
    07-11-14 04:34 AM
    It means they'll differ depending on the context right? So the only learning limit is the number of contexts, the more contexts there are the harder it will be to learn.. so contrary to your 'cold hard fact' all you'll need to do is learn what they'll be for each context..

EDIT: and after reviewing the article, only three contexts were mentioned.. are you saying no one will ever be able to learn how the keys behave in three environments? As I understand it within the environments the keys will be the same...

I don't see that as being so different to how the Z10 keyboard is now... sometimes it just shows the keyboard, sometimes it shows keyboard with numbers.. not a difficult learning issue at all for me..

Check Out TechCraze
    They change while typing. It doesn't only depend on typing field like you think; they also change while typing and constantly change on any normal typing field. So as I've said before, you'll have to stop typing, look at the contextual virtual keyboard, see if your symbol/number is present and then tap on the screen to choose the symbol/number of your choice.

Look here for images of a very select few contextual changes while typing a single word.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=944955

On a full feature QWERTY keyboard, you don't have to stop to look for a number or symbol; unless you're unfamiliar with the QWERTY keyboard you're using.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 04:49 AM
    Look here for images of a very select few contextual changes while typing a single word.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=944955

Posted via CB10
    Nope. You need to look that again. The contextual doesn't change while typing a word being on one input language.
    tinochiko likes this.
    07-11-14 05:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I'm sure BlackBerry will give you the option to disable the contextual row, which is where you type commas, periods and the other most common punctuation and symbols. That would be reeeeeeal smart. Note that many of these symbols do not map to a physical key, so you'll always be touching the screen.

You should probably stop defending something you don't understand.

I would have tapped the vkb at least 10 times in the above post. So much for no smudges, who came up with that marketing strategy???

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 06:48 AM
    Yeah, I'm sure BlackBerry will give you the option to disable the contextual row, which is where you type commas, periods and the other most common punctuation and symbols. That would be reeeeeeal smart. Note that many of these symbols do not map to a physical key, so you'll always be touching the screen.

I would have tapped the vkb at least 10 times in the above post. So much for no smudges, who came up with that marketing strategy???

Posted via CB10
    The smudges that are referred to aren't the ones to do with tapping, they are to so with tapping and dragging your finger along the screen which is what you would normally do on a full/partial touch screen phone in order to navigate a Web page.. with the Passport, you can drag your finger along the keyboard to navigate the page hence no more smudges caused by dragging, also reduces any potential smudging caused by flipping up to complete words as this is also done by the keyboard..

Oh and
    You should probably stop attacking something you don't understand

Check Out TechCraze
    gokulesh likes this.
    07-11-14 07:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes it will have an option to be disabled. The most common punctuation will still come up on the first page of symbols when you swipe on the keyboard. The same way it is on the Z10. Which is the same number of steps as hitting "alt+key", instead you "Swipe+key".

Like I said before, no point getting your panties in a bunch until the device is actually released and the keyboard is shown off.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 10:15 AM
    The smudges that are referred to aren't the ones to do with tapping, they are to so with tapping and dragging your finger along the screen which is what you would normally do on a full/partial touch screen phone in order to navigate a Web page.. with the Passport, you can drag your finger along the keyboard to navigate the page hence no more smudges caused by dragging, also reduces any potential smudging caused by flipping up to complete words as this is also done by the keyboard..

Oh and
    You should probably stop attacking something you don't understand

Check Out TechCraze
    So we've got to the point where we're discussing the difference in severity of smudges between repeatedly tapping the screen across the vkb and moving the finger across the screen.

And you think this is an appropriate comeback.

I don't know what to say.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 10:16 AM
128 ... 3456