This just appeared on the Inside BlackBerry blog. The article seems to be gone and the link dead now. Here a screenshot of the article for anyone interested.

Attachment 280230
    These Great features will all be NOTHING If blackberry decides not to correctly, and initially advertise it to the world... MARKETING!!!

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    06-25-14 08:43 AM
    Why should you like it more?
    You should like it less... they could have easily made a physical full keyboard with a real key.
    They did. It's called the Classic. If you don't want anything different, don't look at the innovative new device.
    MrGlenn and Prince_Poppycock like this.
    06-25-14 11:06 AM
    Now that we could see a Z10/Z30 predictive keyboard adapted to a qwerty phone, there's no a big leap to the next intelligent keyboard for PC.
    I really miss the predictive gestures when i type on my pc/mac, i think the first who will make a predictive keyboard inspired by Blackberry for all personal computers will win the jackpot!
    Why don't Blackberry produce a keyboard for PC? at least they could partner with a company (let say Logitech for example) and adapt their predictive patent to all "sedentary" computers.
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    06-25-14 11:22 AM
    It would be great if you could double tap the keyboard when you aren't entering text to pop up a mouse cursor in the Web browser or docs to go etc. Would be really useful for certain tasks that require the precision of a trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    I could handle swipe gestures over keyboard like:
    |_| for uppercase or |_ for lower and /\ for alt but double tap!!!!!
    Arghhh.
    I hate double tap on laptop touchpads and always disable the function as I tend to perform multiple short down or up strokes when scrolling and ...
    Well how would I type well 'Well' and not end up with 'We double tap' when I'm firmly in the 'We don't double tap' camp.
    nycspaces. likes this.
    06-25-14 11:26 AM
    Now that we could see a Z10/Z30 predictive keyboard adapted to a qwerty phone, there's no a big leap to the next intelligent keyboard for PC.
    I really miss the predictive gestures when i type on my pc/mac, i think the first who will make a predictive keyboard inspired by Blackberry for all personal computers will win the jackpot!
    Why don't Blackberry produce a keyboard for PC? at least they could partner with a company (let say Logitech for example) and adapt their predictive patent to all "sedentary" computers.
    I agree, it's such a bore to have to type every letter when on a desktop...
    06-25-14 11:30 AM
    I agree, it's such a bore to have to type every letter when on a desktop...
    and more boring: when you make a mistake you have to go back (or sometimes deleting all and retyping the whole thing is even faster than go selecting the wrong letter...)
    Hope we'll see soon a smart keyboard for PC!
    06-25-14 11:37 AM
    They did. It's called the Classic. If you don't want anything different, don't look at the innovative new device.
    No, it's not.
    The classic is the same old "dumb" keyboard.
    I really want advanced capability given by a capacitive keyboard, but I don't want to lose a keyboard to have that.

They can implement all this using a standard layout, printing character on keys and giving full advantage of a keyboard.
    Why not?

This will be the biggest BB flop ever, way worse than STORM. People who want a keyboard want a keyboard, don't need nor like amputated one.
    People who don't want a keyboard can still work the same with virtual one, why should they get the Passport?
    In fact, this is way worse then a virtual keyboard, because in fact it is.

And that is the worst thing, they could easily made it but choose not to.

And all of you that defend those dumbasses are the worst. You cannot give one reason why it could be better without physical ALT/SHIFT keys and why it is better without symbols printed on keyboard.
    Are we all idiots using symbols printed on keyboard for all these years? Why not removing the letters to? Just black keys and everything else on screen.
    It's the same, look at all the punctuation mark I used in this message so far: ",.?/'
    I can access all of them with a "single" key press (one finger on alt and the other on the key), one every 40 characters is a symbol. It's not small, considering that I'm not using numbers.
    And that's why this cannot be a "medical" smartphone too, you need to type numbers.

They could implement all the cool functionality on Classic too, the only thing needed is a surface, doesn't have to be shaped like a keyboard. And I hope they do, because if they launch the Passport like this, I'll have to let it down.
    Last edited by II ARROWS; 06-25-14 at 05:51 PM.
    06-25-14 05:32 PM
    Inside BlackBerry - How the BlackBerry Passport Re-Invents the Smartphone Keyboard-1403733852374_272060.jpeg

Check Out TechCraze
    Nharzhool likes this.
    06-25-14 05:36 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1403733852374_272060.jpeg 
Views:	850 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	280548

Check Out TechCraze
    oooh...what're all those icons along the right?

Also, thanks for the pic.
    06-25-14 07:27 PM
    Those icons are used for faster scrolling. Imagine they work the same if you had A - Z listed instead of the icons: if you press one of them, you automatically scroll to that category.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    06-25-14 07:30 PM
    I'm just thinking the SHIFT and ALT may be tapping or double-tapping on area of the keyboard. Who knows?

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 08:09 PM
    I'm just thinking the SHIFT and ALT may be tapping or double-tapping on area of the keyboard. Who knows?

Posted via CB10
    If you look at the post above you'll notice they've added a virtual SHIFT key to the contextual keyboard. We now know pretty much everything about this keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 03:03 AM
    I believe this is the best sacrifice between proper keyboard and screen size.

I can imagine using it quite naturally.

Especially swiping words is awesome

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 06:51 AM
    I believe this is the best sacrifice between proper keyboard and screen size.

I can imagine using it quite naturally.

Especially swiping words is awesome

Posted via CB10
    But the ratio is off.. if you want to watch films etc they won't be using a lot of that screen.. a slider would still be the best

Check Out TechCraze
    06-26-14 07:01 AM
    If I am not mistaken this device will have a screen that is comparable in width to a Z10 or iPhone 4 in landscape mode (someone made a comparison image). So I can not imagine it would be too uncomfortable to watch a movie, even if it has unused space. If you can enjoy watching movies on a smartphone at all is a separate issue.
    But the ratio is off.. if you want to watch films etc they won't be using a lot of that screen...

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    06-26-14 07:07 AM
    If I am not mistaken this device will have a screen that is comparable in width to a Z10 or iPhone 4 in landscape mode (someone made a comparison image). So I can not imagine it would be too uncomfortable to watch a movie, even if it has unused space. If you can enjoy watching movies on a smartphone at all is a separate issue.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    Yes but the ratios mean that when it's full screen for instance, on my Z10 a video, YouTube etc fills most of the screen, I can't see that happening with 1:1, it was said that this was the 'perfect' solution, I love the passport, but I would still take a slider for screen real estate

And like you said enjoyment on smartphone is separate issue altogether so let's just assume people want the choice

Check Out TechCraze
    06-26-14 07:21 AM
    Yes but the ratios mean that when it's full screen for instance, on my Z10 a video, YouTube etc fills most of the screen, I can't see that happening with 1:1
    Why not?
    Did black bar ever hurt you? What did they do to you?

Higher then 16:9 screen are better, because you don't neet do hide controls.
    06-26-14 08:10 AM
    Why not?
    Did black bar ever hurt you? What did they do to you?

Higher then 16:9 screen are better, because you don't neet do hide controls.
    Looool why so defensive? A slider with the better ratio would be a better solution than the Passport.. = passport not the perfect solution.. = still love passport and would definitely consider it instead of this Z10, if no Ontario came out

Check Out TechCraze
    06-26-14 08:18 AM
    Looool why so defensive?
    Because the Passport is wide as much as a Z10 in landscape mode... and the resolution is higher.
    You won't see less content, but more. Even counting on video.
    06-26-14 09:00 AM
    I'm getting myself a Passport. C'mon September. I hope that meant Sept worldwide and not just in ******* Europe or Africa/UAE in Sept.

BBW Lovers Unite- OOLONG. The Eye of The OOLONG :C00121B8B
    06-26-14 09:49 AM
    BB got them going in circles...going round and round and round.....(after four pages back to square one.....)
    06-26-14 10:30 AM

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    As I've posted in several other threads, the screen is only 0.02" shorter in height than that of the iPhone 5S, more specifically 3.18" height/width on the Passport vs. iPhone 5S' 3.2" height.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-26-14 10:36 AM
    Because the Passport is wide as much as a Z10 in landscape mode... and the resolution is higher.
    You won't see less content, but more. Even counting on video.
    Okay enough words..

Some are from Q10/5, some from Z10, spot the difference

Inside BlackBerry - How the BlackBerry Passport Re-Invents the Smartphone Keyboard-1403797922773.jpg

Inside BlackBerry - How the BlackBerry Passport Re-Invents the Smartphone Keyboard-img_20140626_165356.png

Inside BlackBerry - How the BlackBerry Passport Re-Invents the Smartphone Keyboard-img_20140626_164705.png

Inside BlackBerry - How the BlackBerry Passport Re-Invents the Smartphone Keyboard-img_20140626_164658.png

[ATTACH] 280729[/ATTACH]

Attachment 280726

Attachment 280727

Check Out TechCraze

EDIT: if you're on the CB app, and on dark theme, switch to light theme to properly see what I'm on about
    Attachment 280730
    Last edited by tinochiko; 06-26-14 at 11:09 AM.
    anischab likes this.
    06-26-14 10:57 AM
    Comparing the landscape orientation of the Z10, Z30, iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 against the Passport:

Toggle the various items only show the screens you want to compare. Use Stacked view to visually compare.

Compare IPhone 4 screen vs iPhone 5 screen vs Z10 screen vs Z30 screen vs Passport screen visually | Widget SocialCompare

vs Z10: 0.416" longer than Passport, or 11.6% shorter
    vs Z30: 1.159" longer than Passport, or 26.7% shorter
    vs iPhone 5: 0.305" longer than Passport, or 8.8% shorter
    vs iPhone 4: 0.235" shorter than Passport, or 8% longer (i.e. entire iPhone 4 screen fits on the Passport)

I've seen people complain that the square screen wouldn't be good for watching media. Well, if people are happy with the Z10, iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 viewing experience, then the Passport should hold up!
    It's a big screen....
    06-26-14 12:06 PM
    Looool why so defensive? A slider with the better ratio would be a better solution than the Passport.. = passport not the perfect solution.. = still love passport and would definitely consider it instead of this Z10, if no Ontario came out

Check Out TechCraze
    Remember, the size of the passport will give a good sized screen even with letter boxing. On a smartphone everything is a compromise, and BlackBerry is currently focusing on enterprise. Videos are probably lower down on the list of enterprise priorities than having to slide out a keyboard before typing. A slider may be a better solution for you but I have come round to the passport's way of doing things as keyboard shortcuts are a major want from me. I would rather have a screen that isn't quite as good for videos rather than having to slide out a keyboard just to page my hub to the next day etc. Also, sliders are generally thicker and have smaller displays and batteries to accommodate the clunky slide mechanism. As the thinness and lightness of the passport is one of the reasons it it still a usable device at such a large size, this is yet another compromise I would not like to make.

I do hope BlackBerry make a slider as it would make a lot of people happy but I'm personally much happier with the passport.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 12:10 PM
128 ... 23456