Curious IF (real long shot I know) BlackBerry or BlackBerry Mobile would listen to us and do a refresh of the amazing BlackBerry Passport, what you guys think a modest attempt to refresh this device would look like, or be different from the original version? And what it would be worth to you to cough up for a Passport 2?

I'll begin, I think most of us would dream of a Passport with an updated BBOS, but that seems even more far fetched than getting a Passport refresh, so to keep this from being tagged as a Science-fiction post, I'll assume it would have to have some version of Android on it, assuming they could figure out how to work the aspect ratio to accommodate the screen. And I could live with that. I also have the Key2 LE and it's fine. It's no BB10 of course, but I'd rather have a physical keyboard and this is the new reality.

Honestly, it's hard to imagine the keyboard from the original Passport being improved, it's SO good, so I'd suggest keeping the exact size, shape and build of the hardware, because it's so near perfect already. Perhaps you guys are more innovative than I am and can find ways to improve it. But I'm very content with the hardware of my Passport. The real question is should the initial version have Curved edges like the AT&T version or the sharp edges of the OG Passport? I'd be happy with either. I guess if they could find a way to have the keyboard slide out like on the Priv, to give us even more screen real estate, I'd be cool with that, but NOT at the cost of a worse keyboard experience. For me, the keyboard on this refresh is what would make or break it. The reason I can't let the Passport go is because I'm addicted to the typing experience.

Something I would like improved is the camera software. The quality of the images on the Passport are actually quite high, but the shutter speed and focus are so slow, it's near impossible to take photos of my children before I lose the "Kodak moment" I was trying for. So since we'd be getting new software anyways, I'd really appreciate a quality camera, but not necessarily top of the line.

I'm also happy with gestures, and the only buttons being the keyboard, but I could live with on-screen home, back and recent apps buttons like the Key2 has.

I could ramble on, but that's a good start. IF BlackBerry could refresh this wonderful device, I'd fork over $700-$800 for one. Black, silver and red editions too!

How about you guys?

Posted via CB10
    dmlis and i_plod_an_dr_void like this.
    01-30-20 02:10 PM
    Unihertz Titan....is the closest thing I expect you'll get.

BlackBerry is out of the smartphone business, and by most accounts TCL is done with BBMo as well.
    John Albert, Mecca EL and Grungni like this.
    01-30-20 02:15 PM
    Unihertz Titan....

BlackBerry is out of the smartphone business.
    Thanks Debbie Downer. Humor me

Posted via CB10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    01-30-20 02:16 PM
    Curious IF (real long shot I know) BlackBerry or BlackBerry Mobile would listen to us and do a refresh of the amazing BlackBerry Passport, what you guys think a modest attempt to refresh this device would look like, or be different from the original version? And what it would be worth to you to cough up for a Passport 2?

I'll begin, I think most of us would dream of a Passport with an updated BBOS, but that seems even more far fetched than getting a Passport refresh, so to keep this from being tagged as a Science-fiction post, I'll assume it would have to have some version of Android on it, assuming they could figure out how to work the aspect ratio to accommodate the screen. And I could live with that. I also have the Key2 LE and it's fine. It's no BB10 of course, but I'd rather have a physical keyboard and this is the new reality.

Honestly, it's hard to imagine the keyboard from the original Passport being improved, it's SO good, so I'd suggest keeping the exact size, shape and build of the hardware, because it's so near perfect already. Perhaps you guys are more innovative than I am and can find ways to improve it. But I'm very content with the hardware of my Passport. The real question is should the initial version have Curved edges like the AT&T version or the sharp edges of the OG Passport? I'd be happy with either. I guess if they could find a way to have the keyboard slide out like on the Priv, to give us even more screen real estate, I'd be cool with that, but NOT at the cost of a worse keyboard experience. For me, the keyboard on this refresh is what would make or break it. The reason I can't let the Passport go is because I'm addicted to the typing experience.

Something I would like improved is the camera software. The quality of the images on the Passport are actually quite high, but the shutter speed and focus are so slow, it's near impossible to take photos of my children before I lose the "Kodak moment" I was trying for. So since we'd be getting new software anyways, I'd really appreciate a quality camera, but not necessarily top of the line.

I'm also happy with gestures, and the only buttons being the keyboard, but I could live with on-screen home, back and recent apps buttons like the Key2 has.

I could ramble on, but that's a good start. IF BlackBerry could refresh this wonderful device, I'd fork over $700-$800 for one. Black, silver and red editions too!

How about you guys?

Posted via CB10
    Only shaped as larger traditional PKB layout such as the Key or Motion dimensions. I never cared for that Passport shape or weird PKB that’s missing PKB row or so.
    pdr733 likes this.
    01-30-20 02:16 PM
    Only shaped as larger traditional PKB layout such as the Key or Motion dimensions. I never cared for that Passport shape or weird PKB that’s missing PKB row or so.
    What would make it a Passport then?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-20 02:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but that's the reality of things.... we are way past dreaming the BlackBerry is going to build a niche within a niche device like the Passport. They left the business three years ago, they aren't coming back...

You need to be dreaming about a Titan 2 and maybe what Unihertz could do to get the bulk and weight down.... maybe an non ruggedized phone. And if you haven't bought a Titan, you better do it now if you want to see a Titan 2 or anything else PKBish.
    moosbb, Grungni and Mecca EL like this.
    01-30-20 02:34 PM
    What would make it a Passport then?

Posted via CB10
    Nothing I suppose. I just figured any support for anything even close was better than nothing.
    01-30-20 02:40 PM
    Nothing I suppose. I just figured any support for anything even close was better than nothing.
    Same with me... Titan is about as Passport 2 as most are likely to get. I know it's not perfect, but with some encouragement maybe the do better next time?
    moosbb likes this.
    01-30-20 02:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    There are many threads about why this would never happen from BlackBerry Ltd.

Why humor or set unrealistic expectations?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-30-20 03:52 PM
    There are many threads about why this would never happen from BlackBerry Ltd.

Why humor or set unrealistic expectations?
    Good grief. I apologize for living. Only cold hard facts that can be fact-checked with well scrutinized documents from now on. Anyone else want to punch a kitten?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-20 04:04 PM
    Good grief. I apologize for living. Only cold hard facts that can be fact-checked with well scrutinized documents from now on. Anyone else want to punch a kitten?

Posted via CB10
    The kitten punch is optional.
    01-30-20 04:20 PM
    OMG..... OMG.....

Are people still trying to discuss pkb phones and what they should have been / should be? !

Typing this from a P9983 - - - it's over!

Posted from my P'9983
    01-30-20 04:30 PM
    OMG..... OMG.....

Are people still trying to discuss pkb phones and what they should have been / should be? !

Posted from my P'9983
    Yeah. Welcome back to 2016.
    01-30-20 04:37 PM
    Yeah. Welcome back to 2016.
    More like 2012 - so much fun!

When was Alicia head of something?!

Posted from my P'9983
    ppeters914 and moosbb like this.
    01-30-20 04:40 PM
    OMG..... OMG.....

Posted from my P'9983
    The Reality Police Force is strong in here. Taze on!

Posted via CB
    01-30-20 04:57 PM
    Yet FORD released a refresh of the Mustang, Chrysler released the Challenger, Chevrolet the Camaro and Pontiac (RIP post 2008 Bail Out of GM) released the GTO! But of course, it is impossible for a Corporation to relive the past and be successful! These examples are an anomaly! The Classic SNES also! The Motorola too! Debbie Downers always be, well, Downers! All the power to you and may we receive what we covet!

Posted via my Passport
    Last edited by Crusader03; 01-30-20 at 07:38 PM.
    saint300 and ratfinkstooley like this.
    01-30-20 06:57 PM
    Yet FORD released a refresh of the Mustang, Chrysler released the Challenger, Chevrolet the Camaro and Pontiac (RIP post 2008 Bail Out of GM) released the GTO! But of course, it is impossible for a Corporation to relive the past and be successful! These examples are an anomaly! The Classic SNES also! The Motorola too! Debbie Downers always be, well, Downers! All the power to you and may we receive what we covet!

Posted via my Passport
    I’m not seeing the correlation as I’m merely talking about what I dislike.

The Passport did win design awards but I don’t really feel that ever translated into any improved sales.
    01-30-20 08:49 PM
    Didn't think you would Chucky! I apologize, I cannot make it any simpler for you!

Posted via my Passport
    01-30-20 08:56 PM
    Didn't think you would Chucky! I apologize, I cannot make it any simpler for you!

Posted via my Passport
    If you’re saying a Passport would be done retro, I don’t see as its sales would be less than Key hardware but more than Unihertz Titan recently.
    01-30-20 09:10 PM
    When did Ford, Chrysler, or Chevy leave the auto business, shut down all their auto plants, lay off all the employees, sell off all those buildings, and switch to other industries completely? Because that's what BB did in 2016. When you look at it like that, it's easier to understand what you're asking.
    01-30-20 09:48 PM
    Hahaha! Not really the point, is it!?! Urinating all over peoples dreams is kinda rude? No? Enjoy whatever you rock for a cell tool, and relish it!

Posted via my Passport
    moosbb likes this.
    01-30-20 09:55 PM
    When did Ford, Chrysler, or Chevy leave the auto business, shut down all their auto plants, lay off all the employees, sell off all those buildings, and switch to other industries completely? Because that's what BB did in 2016. When you look at it like that, it's easier to understand what you're asking.
    During the Christmas factory shut down thereabouts every year or so (or model re-tooling plant moving game).....or in china during another round of coronavirus for my friends. ;_0
    01-30-20 11:45 PM
    ...but then again a new (speedier more memory) hypervised BB10 BlackBerry Passport equipped with a free pack of N-95 masks, might be just the ticket for world travellers....security minded and all (even in health!)....it would advertise itself. Okay BB how quick can you move?
    01-30-20 11:48 PM
    ...come on...how cool would n-95 surgical masks be in black, with the big blackberry shield logo...with the same diamond grippy pattern as the back of the Passport?
    01-30-20 11:50 PM
    Do I sense a bit of increased excitement over the Passport the last few weeks (seriously, many people are consistently active which I like very much!)?
    01-31-20 01:30 AM
35 12