01-02-15 02:25 PM
29 12
tools
    Tmobile was the last carrier to actually give a reason to buy their phone with the wifi calling feature.

My first smartphone was an unlocked Nokia back in 2008.
    With my unlocked, unbranded Passport, I got it without waiting on a carrier, I don't need to wait for updates and there is zero bloatware.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:33 PM
    Same here! The thing is that there are a lot of people out there who are still under contract and thus are paying for a phone on a monthly basis or don't wanna spend the $ to buy a phone outright for various reasons. It's all about your wallet and priorities!

Posted from my Square Monstrosity!
    12-29-14 12:37 PM
    Are you sure the updates at no longer controlled by the carrier issued SIM card?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:42 PM
    Are you sure the updates at no longer controlled by the carrier issued SIM card?

Posted via CB10
    They are unless you use an autoloader!

12-29-14 12:49 PM
    Only if said carrier actually carries the phone, if they don't you don't get updates from them at all.
    12-29-14 01:12 PM
    Same here. Bought Lumia, iPhone, Xperia, Passport unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 01:25 PM
    Only if said carrier actually carries the phone, if they don't you don't get updates from them at all.
    My carrier does jot support any BB10 devices but still pushes out BB10 updates bar with a slight delay. Have been told they still rest and approve the we update before pushing then out.

I agree though, it makes no sense why they should do that though.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 03:05 PM
    Being from the USA, my carrier T Mobile is not carrying BlackBerry devices anymore, so I am forced to buy a factory unlocked model, but I like the fact I get my updates quicker without waiting for the carrier to get off their *** and validate the OS update before they release it.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    12-29-14 04:10 PM
    Yup.
    Since I had to travel for work and was not really being helped by the carriers at all.
    I got into unlocking phones and then had a factory unlocked iPhone as a travel phone.
    Now with the Blackberry Passport, I am not evening thinking I need to have a travel phone any longer.
    12-29-14 04:24 PM
    I don't think this is true.

When I got mine, I downloaded an update over wifi with no sim at all.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 08:19 PM
    I agree. I'm loving the freedom too

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 08:32 PM
    I don't think this is true.

When I got mine, I downloaded an update over wifi with no sim at all.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, it didn't come from the carrier.
    12-29-14 09:26 PM
    Being from the USA, my carrier T Mobile is not carrying BlackBerry devices anymore, so I am forced to buy a factory unlocked model, but I like the fact I get my updates quicker without waiting for the carrier to get off their *** and validate the OS update before they release it.

So just to clarify...if you buy a factory unlocked phone direct from BBRY, you get updates directly from BBRY and not your cellular service provider?

If so, that's a huge advantage of owning a factory unlocked device!

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:36 PM
    So just to clarify...if you buy a factory unlocked phone direct from BBRY, you get updates directly from BBRY and not your cellular service provider?

If so, that's a huge advantage of owning a factory unlocked device!

Posted via CB10
    Yes, that is correct. Some report needing to remove the SIM to get updates though.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 11:36 PM
    I have the same thought. It has been much less hectic not having to wait on my carrier to approve any update. I like the idea of being off contract and being able to switch if need be. Sometimes the carrier is more receptive to my concerns if i am not locked into a contract and allowed some leverage.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 01:05 AM
    I've said it before and I will say it again: as soon as you enter any carrier SIM card it will "register" your device to their network and you will no longer receive updates directly from BlackBerry.
    It will also download any carrier related 'bloat' as soon as you do this, like apps or their boot logos.

Removing your SIM temporarily won't work, because your phone will still have whatever carrier data your carrier provides and you will still depend on them for new OS updates. I have not seen anyone here mention a way to get around this.

If you do receive new updates immediately from a carrier that doesn't carry your device, it just means they don't test it and push it through as soon as BlackBerry releases it. In other cases you will still need to wait for them to finish testing it.

The only real benefit from buying an unlocked device is easier carrier switching, and most likely it is a bit less expensive in the end.
    _____
    Source: tested myself several times.
    - new phone, never SIM connected: update was available immediately OTA and through BBLink.
    - SIM connected once (then removed for testing): the same update no longer showed as available. Only after a week or so carrier started pushing out the same update.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    thedose likes this.
    12-30-14 01:23 AM
    I've said it before and I will say it again: as soon as you enter any carrier SIM card it will "register" your device to their network and you will no longer receive updates directly from BlackBerry.
    It will also download any carrier related 'bloat' as soon as you do this, like apps or their boot logos.

Removing your SIM temporarily won't work, because your phone will still have whatever carrier data your carrier provides and you will still depend on them for new OS updates. I have not seen anyone here mention a way to get around this.
    Doesn't matter to me. Just use Sachesi to get an "official" release from another carrier that's compatible OS wise.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    RezzaBuh likes this.
    12-30-14 01:44 AM

U know with all of the security concerns with government, corporations, and the BlackBerry fanbase, why hasn't BlackBerry launched any yet!!?i wonder what's going on internally with bb?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 03:34 AM
    U know with all of the security concerns with government, corporations, and the BlackBerry fanbase, why hasn't BlackBerry launched any yet!!?i wonder what's going on internally with bb?

Posted via CB10
    I would have thought that BlackBerry would have released the 10.3.1 update for the passport by now since the Classic was released with it. I thought the passport was primary device they where going to push for enterprise and the medical industry?

The one thing i will say Apple does very well is software updates, when the iPhone 6 was released with IOS 8, they pushed out the official release the same day. Not BlackBerry, now we probably won't get the official 10.3.1 release until February for the passport, very disappointed.

12-30-14 04:11 AM
    Doesn't matter to me. Just use Sachesi to get an "official" release from another carrier that's compatible OS wise.
    Sachesi is not 100% identical to an OTA or BBLink update. Doing updates through Sachesi has a higher rate for errors. Not sure why, but a lot of the small bugs and imperfections that get reported in the Leaks section often seem not to appear with 'official' update methods. Even if they are exactly the same version.

If you can be patient and don't want to rely on (unreliable) backups, it is always the best course of action to wait for the official release.
    ______
    The reason they did not release 10.3.1 for the rest could be the same reason they never got 10.3: it is a 'rushed' release for the new device only (Classic), which means the OS/Radio has only been optimised for that device and has not been tested thoroughly on the others yet.

The reason it looks so "easy" to release updates for Apple is because a) carriers are much more cooperative with major players and b) their devices are pretty much identical so there are less issues with optimising.

thedose and Kierby like this.
    12-30-14 04:49 AM
    Here in Germany it is always cheaper to buy a phone with a new contract (if you search long enough for a good offer). It is also possible to get a contract in online mobilephone shops with every carrier and nearly every device you want. Also TVs, Xbox, PS4, and so on are possible.

I pay 30 a month for 2 years for:

BlackBerry Passport
    Flat for everything, including 1GB LTE
    Deezer Premium

So 720 in 2 years. The passport costs 550.
    170 left. 170 in 24 months equals 7 per month.
    Deezer Premium alone costs more than 7 per month...
    12-30-14 06:12 AM

If you do receive new updates immediately from a carrier that doesn't carry your device, it just means they don't test it and push it through as soon as BlackBerry releases it. In other cases you will still need to wait for them to finish testing it.

The only real benefit from buying an unlocked device is easier carrier switching, and most likely it is a bit less expensive in the end.
    _____
    Source: tested myself several times.
    - new phone, never SIM connected: update was available immediately OTA and through BBLink.
    - SIM connected once (then removed for testing): the same update no longer showed as available. Only after a week or so carrier started pushing out the same update.

I don't believe this. At least not with Tmobile. Which carrier?

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 12:26 AM
    I've had the same experience with T-mob and Vodafone (NL). Both my Q10 and Passport are Unlocked devices, and I have never gotten an update before others on the same network (with Locked/Branded devices). And certainly never at the same time as some users oversea (Canada/Asia).

Next time we hear an update has become available, I'll make sure to check again (removing SIM and checking WiFi and BBLink), but I'm not expecting anything.

01-02-15 02:12 AM
    I don't believe this. At least not with Tmobile. Which carrier?

Posted via CB10
    Happened to me with T-Mobile and Straight Talk, on multiple phones (Passport/Z30 were factory unlocked, Q10 was carrier-unlocked, and yes there is a difference). Straight Talk was weird because it started pushing ATT apps to my phone as
    system updates. T-Mobile pushed wifi calling and an account balance checker.

This is one thing that BlackBerry does with factory-unlocked phones that gets on my nerves. Updates should come direct from BlackBerry, not through the carrier, especially considering how the carriers treat BBRY. This isn't 2004 anymore.
    01-02-15 10:24 AM
    Happened to me with T-Mobile and Straight Talk, on multiple phones (Passport/Z30 were factory unlocked, Q10 was carrier-unlocked, and yes there is a difference). Straight Talk was weird because it started pushing ATT apps to my phone as
    system updates. T-Mobile pushed wifi calling and an account balance checker.

This is one thing that BlackBerry does with factory-unlocked phones that gets on my nerves. Updates should come direct from BlackBerry, not through the carrier, especially considering how the carriers treat BBRY. This isn't 2004 anymore.
    I know right?! They already flipped carriers the bird by releasing the phone through online channels first. It doesn't make sense for a carrier not carrying BB10 phones to push those updates. They will change it if they're consistent, which they're not famous for. Fingers crossed!

01-02-15 11:29 AM
29 12