Yawn on all three of these ----->n if you need USB3, WiFi-A/C, Flux Capacitor.....
    02-24-16 03:15 PM
    Realistically, I will just keep this for a while then buy a Windows 10 phone that I actually like. In the next two years no technological advancements are going to emerge so ground-breaking that I absolutely must abandon this phone and upgrade.
    02-24-16 04:08 PM
    BlackBerry Bold 9900s are still cooler than any modern slabs. Keyboard alone will seem cool as you appear not to care about "cool". See how that works? iPhones and Galaxy S7s aren't cool at all.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 04:11 PM
    I mean, yeah, but lol why would they stop? You roll out these awesome devices and say, "hmm. We dont want your money now, well go back to making enterprise servers." which they very well can. And probably still sustain themselves. At least thats what i hear :/ I like companies that sustain themselves without directly competing with other companies. Much like Nintendo.

Is it just characteristic for BB to release products and stop, and then release more years later? I like knowing about the brand i buy. I is a savy consumer!
    It's more like.. we don't want to lose more money. They haven't made a profit with BlackBerry 10 devices

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2876
    02-24-16 04:34 PM
    BlackBerry Bold 9900s are still cooler than any modern slabs. Keyboard alone will seem cool as you appear not to care about "cool". See how that works? iPhones and Galaxy S7s aren't cool at all.

Posted via CB10
    Where I live, if i pulled out a BlackBerry Bold 9900 people would think Im poor and its a government assistance or Obama phone haha. Cool is subjective to people here but to phrase this better, I want to give off that im dapper, slightly eccentric, smart, succinct, avant garde, and above all different :P so If anyone else wants to reinterpret "cool", my obvious hyperbole, go ahead because I already ordered my cool Passport.

Its just a headline guys, no need to go anal over it ha Thank you all
    02-24-16 11:06 PM
    Realistically, I will just keep this for a while then buy a Windows 10 phone that I actually like. In the next two years no technological advancements are going to emerge so ground-breaking that I absolutely must abandon this phone and upgrade.
    BB10 is technically guaranteed spit and polish updates through 2016, although it's a big question mark after that.

If you're fine with the app selection (lack thereof), form factor, price, whatever, then get the Passport.

Cool is subjective to people here but to phrase this better, I want to give off that im dapper, slightly eccentric, smart, succinct, avant garde, and above all different :P
    Gotcha.

Im buying the 2 y/o BB Passport. Will I have to replace soon to remain cooler than everone?-hat-fedora.jpg
    02-24-16 11:17 PM
    BB10 is technically guaranteed spit and polish updates through 2016, although it's a big question mark after that.

If you're fine with the app selection (lack thereof), form factor, price, whatever, then get the Passport.

Gotcha.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hat-Fedora.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	392405
    I have that in my amazon cart hahaha
    Is that kind of hat our Dan Foster sells? lmao
    02-24-16 11:24 PM
    I know Apple users that are just fine with iPhone 5 from four years ago.

Hardware wise yes the Passport should be fine. But there are newer technologies that are becoming more common that might make it less attractive in coming years, depends on if you need USB3, WiFi-A/C, Flux Capacitor.....

SOFTWARE, and namly Google Play access and Android App compatibility is what I'd be more concerned about.

If all you do is email, browse... you'll be fine.
    Many apps and some later iOS updates do not work well on iPhone 5 now actually. I like being able to use android and google apps. Browsing is my main thing and i want to write sometimes so the wide screen is helpful. thankyou
    02-24-16 11:39 PM
    Go for it. You'll like it. The Passport SE is a great device.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Wise Owl likes this.
    02-25-16 12:30 AM
    Where in God's name did my post go. Anyway. Yes I know his needs may be different than mine, but In general the platform is limited as far as access is concerned. Having my passport and simply talking to family in a group chat was a headache and there was no way around it. I found the problem to be their devices werent playing friendly with my passport. Communication as far as email and direct messaging are great and I wouldn't dare say any other OS can handle that better. Sure makes me want to fire up my passport and even my 9000 lol
    According to the notes on the post, you deleted it, possibly without realizing you did it. I restored it for you.

As to the question posed by the OP, my thought is that if you're buying a phone for a coolness factor, you're doing it wrong.

I buy phones for their power and functionality. Mid-grade phones don't turn the trick, because I use my phone in lieu of a computer most of the time. The more powerful it is, the more I can do with it.

I have apps I need for work. I don't want apps pared down to nothing to make the UI perfect, I need all the features available, because I'm always pushing the envelope.

Get what you're happy with, and don't worry about what others think. Be your own person and March to your own beat.
    02-25-16 03:18 AM
    .....I am forever giving demo's when people see my BBPPSE and ask.. "what phone is that?"

I don't have games and the email client, HUB and screen size is fabulous

The best thing? Battery life, I was coming from a Z10 so the 30+hrs of life is a revelation!

And Yes to my point, easy 2-3years of life + as I have said many many times people here still use tons of BBOS7 devices Torches, 9900, 9720..

Passport SQW100-4 10.3.2.2836
    02-25-16 06:41 AM
    Hi sijones - just to show the BlackBerry device longevity and ability of longterm use, until my 8900 decided to fly out of my hands at 45' and find some concrete below last week, it worked well and had built in UMA (the original wifi calling) It worked well and lasted me a day or more dependant on call time/texts received. I know it doesn't compare to the SE Passport (which you should without a doubt have in your cart already for checkout) but even if today is the last day any software updates are provided, I am comfortable saying the device can give you AT LEAST three years of service, sans any 45' drops. Enjoy it!
    02-25-16 06:45 AM
    Many apps and some later iOS updates do not work well on iPhone 5 now actually. I like being able to use android and google apps. Browsing is my main thing and i want to write sometimes so the wide screen is helpful. thankyou
    Many Android apps don't work on the Passport now.... when it's been on the market for three years (half way there), I imaging the Android compatibility will be even worse with the Android 4.3 Runtime it uses. Based on how little support Amazon is getting these days, and the fact that Snap and Cobalt are HACKS... the app situation is what would concern me.

Browsing... yeah I can see the Passport being good at that, and I doubt that experience will change.

If this is a phone you can easily replace if the experience worsens... no issue. If you'll have to use it for three years, regardless of IF the experience worsen... that's where I'd be cautious.
    02-25-16 07:40 AM
    BlackBerry 10 runs extremely fine even though the processor is 3 years old. Specs doesn't matter as BlackBerry 10 is an optimized OS.

I'm still using a Z30 now and it runs extremely fine, smooth!

It is not like Android. Android lags... lags behind BlackBerry 10 & IOS.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-16 09:14 AM
    Many Android apps don't work on the Passport now.... when it's been on the market for three years (half way there), I imaging the Android compatibility will be even worse with the Android 4.3 Runtime it uses. Based on how little support Amazon is getting these days, and the fact that Snap and Cobalt are HACKS... the app situation is what would concern me.

Browsing... yeah I can see the Passport being good at that, and I doubt that experience will change.

If this is a phone you can easily replace if the experience worsens... no issue. If you'll have to use it for three years, regardless of IF the experience worsen... that's where I'd be cautious.
    Ok so Android and Amazon are still wonky :/ i mean, i said im not a heavy app user but i might be in a situation where i need a specific app to do something and that might be an inconvenience. Im wiling to take that risk though.

Ummm GPS is important to me becasue I go all over the place in NYC and my college is now in Brooklyn which i know nothing about. I sometimes have to find buildings for appointments and be on time and I Didn't grow up in a time before the internet when people had to use their brains haha. How is the gps?
    Last edited by sijones009; 02-25-16 at 09:48 AM.
    02-25-16 09:32 AM
    Ummm that brings me to GPS which is important to me becasue I go all over the place in NYC. I have to find buildings for appointments and be on time and I Didn't grow up in a time before the internet when people had to use their brains haha. How is the gps?

Quick reply to this message Reply Quote Quote Multi-Quote This Message Like
    It is excellent. No problem whatsoever. I use BeMaps Pro (in BBW and is 3rd party Google Maps)and Maps.Me (excellent also)
    02-25-16 09:38 AM
    Ok so Android and Amazon are still wonky :/ i mean, i said im not a heavy app user but i might be in a situation where i need a specific app to do something and that might be an inconvenience. Im wiling to take that risk though.

Ummm that brings me to GPS which is important to me becasue I go all over the place in NYC. I sometimes have to find buildings for appointments and be on time and I Didn't grow up in a time before the internet when people had to use their brains haha. How is the gps?
    GPS is fine.... it's the MAPs that you might want to use that might be the issue.

In NYC, are there pedestrian mapping apps that might work better? Are their bus and subway apps that could be helpful? I've even seen large buildings and campuses with their own Apps for getting around. You'd probably want more info from other people from NYC.....
    02-25-16 09:42 AM
    I'm tired of smug iPhone/Samsung users bragging about their selfie tools and Blackberry is on the left-field with a very peculiar phone that is on par with competing devices. So I am buying the BB Passport Silver Edition next month. Are the specs for this phone still good enough to last me 2-3+ years? I guess my concern comes from me being a long time iPhone user and with Apple, 1 year is enough to make your stupid phone obsolete. How is this not the case with Blackberry devices? Thank you.
    And i am buying a passport so i can be as cool as you are. BlackBerrys dont go obsolete, some people think that is their downfall. Back to using my Bold 9900, after I bought a Classic, after going back to the Q5 while my wifi device was broken, and i have and love the Z10, Z30, and last but not least the Z3 for days when i want my phone to be a browser for any length of time.

Why did i buy a Passport? Because it was $400 on sale, because it was white, because it is 3G ram memory and because I have no self control.

I am not afraid of ever seeing any of my BlackBerrys becoming useless bricks, hasn't happened yet!

They will probably outlive me.
    02-25-16 09:56 AM
    And i am buying a passport so i can be as cool as you are. BlackBerrys dont go obsolete, some people think that is their downfall. Back to using my Bold 9900, after I bought a Classic, after going back to the Q5 while my wifi device was broken, and i have and love the Z10, Z30, and last but not least the Z3 for days when i want my phone to be a browser for any length of time.

Why did i buy a Passport? Because it was $400 on sale, because it was white, because it is 3G ram memory and because I have no self control.

I am not afraid of ever seeing any of my BlackBerrys becoming useless bricks, hasn't happened yet!

They will probably outlive me.
    Feels like reading (and listening) a line from one of those Berlanti's superhero TV series (Arrow, Flash, Legends). The drama....
    Lol

NB: Don't get me wrong, yo. I have a Passport, Q10, Z10 and a Playbook.
    02-25-16 10:33 AM
    Recently purchased a silveredition as a present for myself. Prior to that had an iphone for the last 2yr and must be honest and say I was not too excited with it. Had to return to my roots of BlackBerry in which my first was a pearl and prior to iphone a storm which I cherished. There are many things one can do with a BlackBerry that an iphone could never do.
    I was excited to hear that you can get google on the PassportSilver yet each time I tried resulted in more frustration. Besides that still loving it.

ANY TIPS AND OR SUGGESTIONS ON HOW I CAN MAKE THIS FLY.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-16 03:30 PM
    Recently purchased a silveredition as a present for myself. Prior to that had an iphone for the last 2yr and must be honest and say I was not too excited with it. Had to return to my roots of BlackBerry in which my first was a pearl and prior to iphone a storm which I cherished. There are many things one can do with a BlackBerry that an iphone could never do.
    I was excited to hear that you can get google on the PassportSilver yet each time I tried resulted in more frustration. Besides that still loving it.

ANY TIPS AND OR SUGGESTIONS ON HOW I CAN MAKE THIS FLY.

Posted via CB10
    Android apps are officially supported ( 4.3 and below). Google services and Google Apps are unofficially supported by http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=965257

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2876
    02-25-16 04:35 PM
    Follow the link step by step. Don't skip steps.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2876
    02-25-16 04:36 PM
    I bought my first ever BlackBerry device late last year, after years with android, I adore my passport, i'm older than you by the sound of it, apps and games don't interest me that much, and if you do miss something just add it to your home screen. I have even the confidence to add the log in page to my home screen for a system I use at work. I promise you will be pleasantly surprised. It's just a shame i'm the only person I know in Manchester who uses BlackBerry, its a beautiful phone, the battery life is superb, its the best one I have ever owned.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-16 06:14 PM
48 12