I'm tired of smug iPhone/Samsung users bragging about their selfie tools and Blackberry is on the left-field with a very peculiar phone that is on par with competing devices. So I am buying the BB Passport Silver Edition next month. Are the specs for this phone still good enough to last me 2-3+ years? I guess my concern comes from me being a long time iPhone user and with Apple, 1 year is enough to make your stupid phone obsolete. How is this not the case with Blackberry devices? Thank you.
    02-23-16 03:17 PM
    It's the case with all phones now days. With the advancement of tech in order to stay current you would need to buy a new device every six months.
    02-23-16 03:23 PM
    Well, technically, the Passport is NOT yet 2 years old. It was released in September of 2014 (correct me if I'm wrong). It is still OK to buy depending on your requirements for a phone. If you are very attached to the iPhone environment and all that entails, it may not suit you. If you are after a good communications device (texting, calls, emails etc) then it will be good for another year or two. Just be aware that further OS updates will be scarce (if any). For me, the device is great and will get me through at least one more year but I am NOT huge into apps.
    Jrox74, fof9l and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    02-23-16 03:28 PM
    Well, technically, the Passport is NOT yet 2 years old. It was released in September of 2014 (correct me if I'm wrong). It is still OK to buy depending on your requirements for a phone. If you are very attached to the iPhone environment and all that entails, it may not suit you. If you are after a good communications device (texting, calls, emails etc) then it will be good for another year or two. Just be aware that further OS updates will be scarce (if any). For me, the device is great and will get me through at least one more year but I am NOT huge into apps.
    Scarce updates is something new to worry about. I dont want to be stuck with a bricked phone only 1 year later (iPhone) and my phone is really just used for facebook, email, internet, texting, notes. I neeeed a phone like this and I want this pretty phone to stick with me.

and the priv is icky.
    02-23-16 03:37 PM
    It's the case with all phones now days. With the advancement of tech in order to stay current you would need to buy a new device every six months.
    Ok. So BB isn't any different and I never saw any advancement made within 6 months that would make me switch to another phone lol. So I will settle with this phone since I like the statement it makes.
    02-23-16 03:39 PM
    Scarce updates is something new to worry about. I dont want to be stuck with a bricked phone only 1 year later (iPhone) and my phone is really just used for facebook, email, internet, texting, notes. I neeeed a phone like this and I want this pretty phone to stick with me.

and the priv is icky.
    The Passport won't be "bricked" in one year and judging by your requirements, I think you will really like the Passport. You may need to use the 3rd party Facebook app called Face10 as the Blackberry World stock Facebook app is fairly poor (so I'm told anyway). IMHO the Passport is a fantastic device for note taking, texting and email especially since it utilizes the HUB. You may find the Hub kind of weird at first, but after a while you may wonder how you ever did without it before.
    fof9l likes this.
    02-23-16 03:44 PM
    The Passport won't be "bricked" in one year and judging by your requirements, I think you will really like the Passport. You may need to use the 3rd party Facebook app called Face10 as the Blackberry World stock Facebook app is fairly poor (so I'm told anyway). IMHO the Passport is a fantastic device for note taking, texting and email especially since it utilizes the HUB. You may find the Hub kind of weird at first, but after a while you may wonder how you ever did without it before.
    Ok. Im confident in buying this phone. If Blackberry is smart they wont abandon their customers after they flocked to their new products. That would just put them into another difficult time. If anything the next batch of BB phones will be better than the Passport. I just dont want the apple treatment again lol
    02-23-16 03:55 PM
    Ok. Im confident in buying this phone. I doubt BB will leave their customers in the dark after we flocked to them after they came out of their hard time keeping up to speed. And if anything the next batch of BB phones will be better than the Passport. I just dont want the apple treatment again lol
    Uhhhh--I wouldn't be so quick to expect another batch of BB phones (BB10 OR android). No one here knows what will happen to the hardware division of Blackberry. All I am saying is that even if BB stops making devices tomorrow, the Passport will still be more than capable of doing what it does this time next year and beyond.
    02-23-16 03:56 PM
    Ok thats good to know.
    02-23-16 03:58 PM
    Uhhhh--I wouldn't be so quick to expect another batch of BB phones (BB10 OR android). No one here knows what will happen to the hardware division of Blackberry. All I am saying is that even if BB stops making devices tomorrow, the Passport will still be more than capable of doing what it does this time next year and beyond.
    I mean, yeah, but lol why would they stop? You roll out these awesome devices and say, "hmm. We dont want your money now, well go back to making enterprise servers." which they very well can. And probably still sustain themselves. At least thats what i hear :/ I like companies that sustain themselves without directly competing with other companies. Much like Nintendo.

Is it just characteristic for BB to release products and stop, and then release more years later? I like knowing about the brand i buy. I is a savy consumer!
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-23-16 04:07 PM
    Seems a tad trollish but I'll humor.

Blackberry has supposedly died like 10 times in the past 5 years but they keep making hardware. I do think the Nintendo comparison one is very interesting although BlackBerry is nowhere near as successful overall as Nintendo is at worst #3 in their space and Blackberry in terms of hardware likely isn't even top 10. Both are very nichy. If you are unsure I'd wait but the silver PP will likely retain its value since it's the quintessential blackberry device.

Sent via Passport SE~!
    Adam Kowalczyk1 likes this.
    02-23-16 04:52 PM
    If you want to be cooler than everyone buy one of my winter hats I make. The Passport use you will use it for is the same as me and yes I'm going to buy the black one. It's about being smarter than everyone else. Remember "cool" my hats. Smarter "the Passport".

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 05:07 PM
    If you want to be cooler than everyone buy one of my winter hats I make. The Passport use you will use it for is the same as me and yes I'm going to buy the black one. It's about being smarter than everyone else. Remember "cool" my hats. Smarter "the Passport".

Posted via CB10
    Well i think being smart is cool lol. They're actually synonymous to me so when I say cool people get thrown off and think of a skateboarder or this sunglasses thingy

Your hats have to be smart hats to meet my criteria.
    02-23-16 05:29 PM
    Phone has only been out 18 months and only a year in the US.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 05:45 PM
    What the?

Sent via Passport SE~!
    02-23-16 05:46 PM
    Does that dog get moderated for soliciting hats on this thread?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-23-16 05:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Are your hats made out of tinfoil? I know some people who would be interested.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-23-16 06:27 PM
    Seems a tad trollish but I'll humor.

Blackberry has supposedly died like 10 times in the past 5 years but they keep making hardware. I do think the Nintendo comparison one is very interesting although BlackBerry is nowhere near as successful overall as Nintendo is at worst #3 in their space and Blackberry in terms of hardware likely isn't even top 10. Both are very nichy. If you are unsure I'd wait but the silver PP will likely retain its value since it's the quintessential blackberry device.

Sent via Passport SE~!
    I actually didnt know that about Blackberry's history and it was mostly an educated guess. But i understand now. When you buy a Blackberry you sign up for a phone specialized in handling business and possibly not getting anymore software or hardware for years. I guess this works because what Blackberry provides is enough to satisfy business oriented customers. I never had a blackberry but I am eager to try and from the looks of things this phone will last me and meet my few requirements. I really dig the UI and the hardware that out performs more popular phones. "Nichy" is a perfect word for this phone as I consider myself an individual who doesn't fall for silly trends in tech.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-23-16 06:41 PM
    How does a girlfriend pertain to this thread? Should I ask my boyfriend?

Are the people here crakheads who use blackberry because im starting to see some characters.
    Ignore his comment. Get silver PP. You won't regret. I had galaxy S6 edge, iPhone 6s and nothing stands harder and better than Passport. If for you emails, texts, social media, Security plus millions of trick and tips is important than go for BlackBerry Passport. Like someone mentioned before..-> you can't beat Hub. Camera for me is excellent. On par with galaxy s6 yes that good. Just doesn't film in 4k which I don't care and for cell phone that's over kill anyway.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 08:07 PM

and the priv is icky.
    Your needs will fit the Passport perfectly. I would even bet you'll be craving for MORE of BB10 devices. At least I'd imagine you'd be curious to try the almighty BB's Virtual Keyboard (not kidding--it's THAT good) of Z30--the slab counterpart for the Passport. Give it a couple of weeks or months until another curiosity hits the fan to try the Classic or Q10, and then--perhaps--the Playbook.

Go ahead. I dare you. Lol

Oh, and I SERIOUSLY LOVE your last comment: "and the priv is icky." I should frame that and put it on a shrine. Not kidding.
    IcYthemes likes this.
    02-24-16 09:06 AM
    I have a Note 4 as my daily driver that I just bought a few months ago. Note 5 was a downgrade in my opinion. I have a passport that I bought in November of 2014. It's charged up and ready for me to pop in a sim card whenever I choose but the lack of apps that I need for work and how inaccessible it makes the device, it's a turn off. I feel very limited with it. I love the physical keyboard experience. I have always preferred it to all touch yet I stuck with the note 4. Does that say enough?

Unless you can get the passport for under $200, wait until something better gets released. But if you really need a device right now, it's still a solid choice if you don't mind the limitations. I'm a blackberry fan boy myself and I would love nothung more (tech wise) than to see a blackberry in everyone's hand, but today is not the day....yet
    02-24-16 10:07 AM
    but the lack of apps that I need for work
    This is why I mentioned above that if you need apps, the Passport MAY NOT be the right fit. Your needs may be vastly different than the OP's.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-24-16 10:10 AM
    This is why I mentioned above that if you need apps, the Passport MAY NOT be the right fit. Your needs may be vastly different than the OP's.
    Where in God's name did my post go. Anyway. Yes I know his needs may be different than mine, but In general the platform is limited as far as access is concerned. Having my passport and simply talking to family in a group chat was a headache and there was no way around it. I found the problem to be their devices werent playing friendly with my passport. Communication as far as email and direct messaging are great and I wouldn't dare say any other OS can handle that better. Sure makes me want to fire up my passport and even my 9000 lol
    02-24-16 10:28 AM
    Where in God's name did my post go. Anyway. Yes I know his needs may be different than mine, but In general the platform is limited as far as access is concerned. Having my passport and simply talking to family in a group chat was a headache and there was no way around it. I found the problem to be their devices werent playing friendly with my passport. Communication as far as email and direct messaging are great and I wouldn't dare say any other OS can handle that better. Sure makes me want to fire up my passport and even my 9000 lol
    Weird about your post!!
    02-24-16 10:32 AM
    I'm tired of smug iPhone/Samsung users bragging about their selfie tools and Blackberry is on the left-field with a very peculiar phone that is on par with competing devices. So I am buying the BB Passport Silver Edition next month. Are the specs for this phone still good enough to last me 2-3+ years? I guess my concern comes from me being a long time iPhone user and with Apple, 1 year is enough to make your stupid phone obsolete. How is this not the case with Blackberry devices? Thank you.
    I know Apple users that are just fine with iPhone 5 from four years ago.

Hardware wise yes the Passport should be fine. But there are newer technologies that are becoming more common that might make it less attractive in coming years, depends on if you need USB3, WiFi-A/C, Flux Capacitor.....

SOFTWARE, and namly Google Play access and Android App compatibility is what I'd be more concerned about.

If all you do is email, browse... you'll be fine.
    RoseBud68 and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    02-24-16 01:17 PM
48 12