I don't have plans on switching to passport unless someone gives it to me for free because I really have very small hands. Even holding a Z30 is a challenge to me.

"BlackBerry is the extension of my hand" - DadaBerry C00182421
    09-07-14 11:29 AM
    I'm not certain, so your conclusion is that OLED is still more power efficient than LCD right? Or I understand you wrong?
    Yes. This is all from simple reasoning, though -- it's not like I have made any measurements, or know any characteristics of the electronics.
    09-07-14 11:41 AM
    True. Virtual keyboard is heavily dependent on the software assistance. I tried to type german earlier and my wpm significantly dropped to 47 words per minute. Lol. Aber deutsch ist meine Muttersprache nicht! Ich werde endes des Monats nach Deutschland fliegen, um meine deutsch zu verbessern. And it's also a consideration for me, as I don't think Passport is released in QWERTZ right?
    Nice to hear! Be very welcomed! :-)

Don't know...any BB in the past got a QWERTZ treatment for Germany, don't know why it would be any different with the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 01:00 PM
    Nice to hear! Be very welcomed! :-)

Don't know...any BB in the past got a QWERTZ treatment for Germany, don't know why it would be any different with the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    I have been in Berlin once, and I liked the place a lot. I going to go to Cologne now. Danke schoen!

I hope you're right!
    Last edited by Andy Wijaya; 09-07-14 at 03:55 PM.
    09-07-14 02:40 PM
    ...was just about to move from curve to Z30 when passport was announced-so be it just waitng for it to be released and available.
    09-07-14 03:05 PM
    Have you tried Z30 or Z10? The keyboard is fantastic.
    That's if the software isn't in beta ... I'm running 10.3.0.105x and it's been buggy over the past two weeks, more recently noticed. Note: it's my only BB device I use daily; Q10 back in storage.

My reservation is ONLY the software implementation of gesture auto completion on the Passport.

For instance ... if I choose to use numbers, I'm aware they'll display on the screen, but can I use the respective physical keyboard to be pressed to invoke the relative number arranged on the screen for input? Example: Can I press "W" to get the number "1" input into any space of entry OR must I tap on the SCREEN for "1" to be input.
    09-07-14 05:44 PM
    Love my z30 too much going to take something really special for me to switch.
    lift likes this.
    09-07-14 07:36 PM
    I have used virtual both on the iphone 5 and the Z10, I have also used physical from the 8310 up to the Q10 and I can tell you no matter how good you are with the virtual keyboard you will never be as fast when you get really good on the physical keyboard.

Let me rephrase...you may be as fast but you will never be as fast without having to re-read for corrections. I can type nearly 85 words per minute on my Q10 without having to look at the keyboard or go back to make corrections. The ability to respond to emails without having the recipient know you are mobile is priceless. You can do this with a virtual keyboard but not as quickly as you can with a physical keyboard.

Posted via Q10
    Thunderbuck and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    09-07-14 09:29 PM
    Try to type as fast with physical keyboard!
    Attachment 296305
    Hmm I recall Mark Rejhon here on these very boards did this or beat your score some 4 years ago so HAH!

No auto text or word completion was used. Search for it.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    09-07-14 10:08 PM
    Because my virtual keyboard at Z30 is just too good! I'm afraid that I won't be able to type without looking again, or type as fast or as accurate. And the screen is LCD, I like OLED better, for battery life.

Does anyone has the same concern? Or do you have other concern why do you hesitate to make the move to Passport? Please share here!
    I like AMOLED too, if only for the way it renders blacks, but the Passport has a battery that's SOOOO big that the screen tech shouldn't be that big a factor. And, if I'm being brutally honest, the Z30 is hard to use in direct sunlight.

As for the keyboard... I agree that the Z30's virtual keyboard is outstanding. Absolutely the best stock mobile keyboard out there. I had a Q10 for a while, though, and I found that I used keyboard shortcuts quite a bit. Since the Passport's kb will support swiping for word completion, I think it's going to represent the best of both worlds. Bring it on!
    09-07-14 11:17 PM
    That's if the software isn't in beta ... I'm running 10.3.0.105x and it's been buggy over the past two weeks, more recently noticed. Note: it's my only BB device I use daily; Q10 back in storage.

My reservation is ONLY the software implementation of gesture auto completion on the Passport.

For instance ... if I choose to use numbers, I'm aware they'll display on the screen, but can I use the respective physical keyboard to be pressed to invoke the relative number arranged on the screen for input? Example: Can I press "W" to get the number "1" input into any space of entry OR must I tap on the SCREEN for "1" to be input.
    The virtual keyboard maps directly to the physical one on the Passport. You can invoke the characters on the vkb by pressing the corresponding physical key.
    09-07-14 11:19 PM
    If you are going to browse LCD is better as most of the websites have white background. Oled screens are known to conserve battery with black backgrounds and they do the oppsite with white backgrounds.
    09-08-14 02:56 AM
    The ability to respond to emails without having the recipient know you are mobile is priceless.

Posted via Q10
    I am curious, why? .......personally, I have been in my office and have some times still responded to an email via my phone...in fact my emails sent by phone have the message.

Regards David
    Sent via BlackBerry Z10

Posted via Digicel Z10 10.2.1.2977
    09-08-14 07:11 AM
    I am curious, why? .......personally, I have been in my office and have some times still responded to an email via my phone...in fact my emails sent by phone have the message.

Regards David
    Sent via BlackBerry Z10
    He was not talking about signature, even if I found that irritating. I don't want to get spam inside my emails.
    Neither is professional.

He is talking about writing full sentences, grammatically and syntactically correct, inside long messages and fully exhaustive. Something people on phone, especially with virtual keyboard, don't write.

Because a physical keyboard does not make you tired of writing, don't require any effort for typing well.
    tnewton3 likes this.
    09-08-14 08:06 AM
    He was not talking about signature, even if I found that irritating. I don't want to get spam inside my emails.
    Neither is professional.

He is talking about writing full sentences, grammatically and syntactically correct, inside long messages and fully exhaustive. Something people on phone, especially with virtual keyboard, don't write.

Because a physical keyboard does not make you tired of writing, don't require any effort for typing well.
    ... The main reason why I am using one! ;-)

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    09-08-14 08:37 AM
    Neither is professional.

Exactly, I often receive responses from colleagues or clients with one word or sentence responses and to me it is almost better to receive no response at all.

As far as the signature goes it is currently controlled by our corporate server but when it wasn't I setup a shortcut such as "tyy" auto filled a signature for me. It still never stated I was writing from my BlackBerry as much as I would like it to for the advertising. I believe it is more professional to have a real signature over a mobile one.

Posted via Q10
    09-08-14 08:40 AM
    ... because I don't like mushy keys and I'm afraid that's what the Passport will have.

Also, because *eventually* BlackBerry will get around to releasing a large slider phone, and then I'll be mad that I didn't wait for it.
    09-08-14 10:51 AM
    Exactly, I often receive responses from colleagues or clients with one word or sentence responses and to me it is almost better to receive no response at all.

As far as the signature goes it is currently controlled by our corporate server but when it wasn't I setup a shortcut such as "tyy" auto filled a signature for me. It still never stated I was writing from my BlackBerry as much as I would like it to for the advertising. I believe it is more professional to have a real signature over a mobile one.

Posted via Q10
    Forgive me, I misunderstood, but TBH I have colleagues and friends and from some of their responses you wouldn't know it was from a phone, save for the signature (and these include pictures and corrected XL and doc attachments)

Posted via Digicel Z10 10.2.1.2977
    09-08-14 11:48 AM
    You can try and justify it how ever you like, virtual keyboard will not suppress the real thing in wpm

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 12:15 PM
    Because my virtual keyboard at Z30 is just too good! I'm afraid that I won't be able to type without looking again, or type as fast or as accurate. And the screen is LCD, I like OLED better, for battery life.

Does anyone has the same concern? Or do you have other concern why do you hesitate to make the move to Passport? Please share here!
    NO WAY! physical keyboards are without a doubt THE best way to type especially if you are typing larger volumes of text like typing emails or texts. Ive used the Z30 now for about 2 months now and although better than android and ios, the typing experience is more accurate with bbos 10. But I still do not have perfect typing on the z30 and still do have to backspace a fair amount to make sure my text typing is accurate and correct. I also like the flicking auto type gesture and makes word choice much easier especially if you are typing fast. I also think with the new passport coming up combined with the tactile gesture based keyboard, will bring upon an entirely new typing experience.
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 09-10-14 at 02:40 AM.
    Tim Heard likes this.
    09-09-14 04:26 AM
    NO WAY! physical keyboards are the without a doubt THE best way to type especially if you are typing larger volumes of texting. Ive used the Z30 now for about 2 months and although better than android and ios, the typing experience is more accurate with bbos 10. But I still do not have perfect typing on the z30 and still do have to backspace a fair amount to make sure my text typing is accurate and correct. I also like the flicking auto type gesture and makes word choice much easier especially if you are typing fast. I also think with the new passport coming up combined with the tactile gesture based keyboard, will bring upon an entirely new typing experience.
    I have both a Q10 and a Z10, and without a doubt, typing on the Q allows me a much greater typing experience and is much more efficient for volumes of emails.
    09-09-14 07:10 PM
    ...I'm afraid that it won't work well on T-Mobile USA. Hopefully T-Mobile will make up with BlackBerry and sell an unlocked no contract phone that supports Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE. Though if the only thing that doesn't work is Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE then I'll still get it as long as all of the other functions work.
    09-09-14 07:52 PM
    ...I'm afraid that it won't work well on T-Mobile USA. Hopefully T-Mobile will make up with BlackBerry and sell an unlocked no contract phone that supports Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE. Though if the only thing that doesn't work is Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE then I'll still get it as long as all of the other functions work.
    My guess is that it will work. Even though T-Mobile has a bad relationship with Blackberry right now, there is no reason to lose customers. Ideally, it would be great if T-Mobile offered the device, so we would not have to buy it outright for cash.
    Last edited by lazerproof; 09-09-14 at 08:24 PM.
    09-09-14 08:07 PM
    .... because I love my Z30.

Now if the Z50 came along.....

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    Chelmsford likes this.
    09-18-14 03:39 PM

Not sure how you could type without looking on a touch screen.. much easier with physical keys.

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    09-18-14 10:10 PM
83 1234