Me, I am looking forward to have it in my hands nd use it.
    09-06-14 12:34 PM
    Because my virtual keyboard at Z30 is just too good! I'm afraid that I won't be able to type without looking again, or type as fast or as accurate. And the screen is LCD, I like OLED better, for battery life.

Does anyone has the same concern? Or do you have other concern why do you hesitate to make the move to Passport? Please share here!
    My concern is being able to bring the Passport around without my pockets from feeling stuffed all the time. I'm a holster user from day one using my old BB World Edition. Still use a holster for my Z30. I hate even having to carry my own keys in my pocket. So being holster user, and forced to consider carrying the Passport in my pocket is a major consideration for me. But everything else about the Passport is great...except just having to carry it in my pocket or bag. Which makes notifications that much mote less noticeable. It will be a hassle taking it out of my pocket and bag every time I have to use it. That's my dilemma.
    09-06-14 12:55 PM
    I am affraid that I wont be able to write without looking, because I will use the Q10 and the Passport. The keyboard is a lot different(placement of the keys). Thats why I maybe stick to my Q10 and maybe classic.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 01:55 PM
    I have same concern with you about the keyboard, I love the one of my Z30 but I will go for the passport for its revolutionary screen. Let's try again a physical keyboard! Since Storm was out I am always with touch screens.
    I am not afraid about the battery life, in specs the one of passport is superior.
    I was with you for the Oled screen but unfortunately under the sunlight is almost impossible to read so I like that passport has the LCD

Sent from my Z 30
    09-06-14 02:17 PM
    State "France" instead of "US" and you got my thoughts, exactly
    My exact issue. I like to see and play with the phone first. If it truly won't be physically available at any retailer, that might be a deal breaker.
    09-06-14 02:42 PM
    I love the keyboard on the Z30 as well. In the same breath, there are aspects of a physical keyboard I miss.

Someone who has hands on experience with the Passport commented on the keyboard yesterday to me on Twitter:

@MrMartis: @BRIZZAD @BlackBerry surprisingly the keyboard swipe up is more intuitive than on the onscreen bb10 keyboards because of the 3 columns

https://twitter.com/MrMartis/status/507720516359450624

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 03:59 PM
    I love the keyboard on the Z30 as well. In the same breath, there are aspects of a physical keyboard I miss.

Someone who has hands on experience with the Passport commented on the keyboard yesterday to me on Twitter:

@MrMartis: @BRIZZAD @BlackBerry surprisingly the keyboard swipe up is more intuitive than on the onscreen bb10 keyboards because of the 3 columns

https://twitter.com/MrMartis/status/507720516359450624

Posted via CB10
    Well, in fact, it is just a setting on virtual keyboards. You can already set up the predictive words to be swiped up by 3 columns (and not on precise letters) on the existing full touch devices. I was doing that with the Z10 before I got the Q10...
    09-06-14 04:20 PM
    My concern is going to be the size and feel of the Passport. I'm in the US so I'm not sure if I'll be able to try it out in a store. If I buy it, and I most likely will. I'd be winging it.

Posted via CB10
    Who's your carrier? If it's verizon, they'll definitely have it in store. Definitely not tmobile. I highly doubt it. We'll, that's if they even get the device on their lineup this year -__-

Posted via Q10RR
    09-06-14 04:30 PM
    As a Legacy Device hold out (Bold 9900) I am torn between the Classic and the Passport as my next device.

What scares me about choosing the Passport over the Classic is the fact that it so totally different from what I have been used to for the past 3 years, losing the Tool Belt and Track Pad and getting the Capacitive Keyboard will be a big transition to say the least.

Not too worried by the size though, if it fits in my Suit Jacket pocket for work then it's fine.

I like to keep my phones long term and from what we know so far the Passport looks more future proof than the Classic but I am still on the fence as to which way to go.

I guess that like a lot of people reading the reviews here on CB from proud new Passport owners when it is released will be invaluable to me.
    How on earth does it look more future proof?

Posted via Q10RR
    09-06-14 04:31 PM
    Who's your carrier? If it's verizon, they'll definitely have it in store. Definitely not tmobile. I highly doubt it. We'll, that's if they even get the device on their lineup this year -__-

Posted via Q10RR
    Rumor is, and for now I believe it's only a rumor, is that vzw won't carry it in store, just for online ordering.
    09-06-14 04:42 PM
    How on earth does it look more future proof?

Posted via Q10RR
    They are talking about the specs. Passport specs are more future proof than the Classics.

Posted via CB10
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    09-06-14 05:41 PM
    A few things...

Current physical keyboard users say the exact same things about the software keyboards. I've found that once you get used to it you can not look at your keyboard/type one handed to the best of your ability on either type.
    Can you walk while doing that?
    Also, what about speed?
    Considering that if you don't look at the keyboard, you lose that thing that make the virtual keyboard fast.
    09-06-14 06:19 PM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Have all the latest blackberries... but i am really looking forward to getting the Passport.... with the latest os 10.3.....

I have missed the bold 9900 keyboard experience and want a decent camera lol

From my z30

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 07:33 PM
    I desperately wanted to upgrade my 8520 which is some 5 years old & working perfectly as day by day one or the other Apps will stop working due to Apps EOL. When Q10 was announced, I was hoping to upgrade to it but had to refrain as it was out of my budget as it was pathetically priced in India.
    I recall seeing special BB Shop in many cities of my country but now I can hardly see them. There is no second thought on BB�s product quality but right now Blackberry needs to go for volume as less & less people are now aware of BB�s name with each passing day.
    Per me, if they price Passport highly aggressive (beyond one�s imagination), it will help BB in re-circulating their name. Once their name is again in people�s mind, they can bring out upgraded or new models at a bit higher price but NOT NOW.
    I am over-due for an upgrade but only if Passport�s price fits my budget. Lastly, JC has to take a call to sell his product at aggressive price now or later at a huge discount after 2 years.
    09-07-14 06:23 AM
    I dont have money

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 06:36 AM
    PKB will always trump virtual ones for me, so having said that, my only concern with the Passport keyboard is the fact that it's somewhat crippled to be accompanied by virtual rows. I'm afraid that mixed patchwork experience is more annoying and slow compared to a full featured PKB.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 06:44 AM
    I desperately wanted to upgrade my 8520 which is some 5 years old & working perfectly as day by day one or the other Apps will stop working due to Apps EOL. When Q10 was announced, I was hoping to upgrade to it but had to refrain as it was out of my budget as it was pathetically priced in India.
    I recall seeing special BB Shop in many cities of my country but now I can hardly see them. There is no second thought on BB�s product quality but right now Blackberry needs to go for volume as less & less people are now aware of BB�s name with each passing day.
    Per me, if they price Passport highly aggressive (beyond one�s imagination), it will help BB in re-circulating their name. Once their name is again in people�s mind, they can bring out upgraded or new models at a bit higher price but NOT NOW.
    I am over-due for an upgrade but only if Passport�s price fits my budget. Lastly, JC has to take a call to sell his product at aggressive price now or later at a huge discount after 2 years.
    Wow amazing. 5 year old phone.
    09-07-14 07:21 AM
    PKB will always trump virtual ones for me, so having said that, my only concern with the Passport keyboard is the fact that it's somewhat crippled to be accompanied by virtual rows. I'm afraid that mixed patchwork experience is more annoying and slow compared to a full featured PKB.

Posted via CB10
    Try to type as fast with physical keyboard!
    I'm afraid to move to passport, because..-img_20140902_224554.png
    lift likes this.
    09-07-14 07:22 AM
    The BlackBerry z30 does sound like a sweet phone. I love the PKB and have had many virtual keyboards in different phones.

My finding is that given enough time you adapt and start loving whichever keyboard you switch too.

Posted via CB10
    BaffTech likes this.
    09-07-14 07:33 AM
    Virtual keyboards are probably faster than physical ones but they take more "mental energy" to use well. Your eyeball is constantly scanning for the correct auto-suggested word and you must be more mentally engaged when you type. Physical keyboards you can almost type with your eyes closed and just go on feel.

I use both physical and virtual keyboards on my phones and I always prefer to use a BlackBerry physical keyboard for longer messages.
    09-07-14 08:04 AM
    You know oled is only better as long as the colors on your screen are dark. When it comes to colors oled uses more power.
    An OLED outputs about 25 lumens per watt, and an efficient white LED about 75 lm/W -- right so far...

However:

1) Half of that advantage is lost, right in the fixed polarisation layer. Now; There is a degree of light leakage in {LED LCD (dammit. :P)} screens, so let's say we lose, say, 30%, rather than 50.

2) Each subpixel filters out every wavelength, from that white, outside its intended colour, contributing to another 66% loss, for a well-tuned backligh (spiking at R, G and B, rather than being full-spectrum). Giving this matter the same benefit as the above, let's say 50%.

3) Power is full-screen, with a backlit - always. With a screen where each subpixel is its own lightsource, only lit pixels draw power, and then only as much as they need.

All the above accounted for, LCD may have a slight power-drain advantage for screens that are entirely white: no text, no nothing. Given any other situation: not so much.

If you have more specific and exact numbers, from some source, I'd love to see them.

(I'll briefly address the often cited matter of oversaturated colours, while I'm at it: That's all a matter of colour balancing. You are viewing material that has been edited to fit within a certain, rather limited, colour gamut, and look good on that; on a device whose screen has one that is slightly more expansive. (EDIT: Conversly; If you were to draw a picture on a device with an OLED screen, you might find it looking washed out on a LCD))
    Last edited by jojon2se; 09-07-14 at 11:34 AM. Reason: slight punctuation fixes and one fatal misspelling
    lift likes this.
    09-07-14 09:12 AM
    Try to type as fast with physical keyboard!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140902_224554.png 
Views:	822 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	296305
    Point is I'm not a fan of assistance like auto-correct or auto-complete. I like to be in full control and my native language (German) is full of accented characters and capitalizations. So I managed to type at 5-6 letters per second without any assistants in German on my old Bold devices. Not quite your 6.4 letters per second but again, no assistants, many accents and capitalizations. Impossible on a VKB and a far less pleasing experience to me.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 10:21 AM
    An OLED outputs about 25 lumens per watt, and an efficient white LED about 75 lm/W -- right so far...

However:

1) Half of that advantage is lost, right in the fixed polarisation layer. Now; There is a degree of light leakage in LED screens, so let's say we lose, say, 30%, rather than 50.

2) Each subpixel filters out every wavelength, from that white, outside its intended colour, contributing to another 66% loss, for a well-tuned backligh (spiking at R, G and B, rather than being full-spectrum). Giving this matter the same benefit as the above, let's say 50%.

3) Power is full-screen, with a backlit - always. With a screen where each subpixel is its own lightsource, only lit pixels draw power, and then only as much as they need.

All the above accounted for, LCD may have a slight power-drain advantage for screens that are entirely white: no text, no nothing. Given any other situation: not so much.

If you have more specific and exact numbers, from some source, I'd love to see them.

(I'll briefly address the often cited matter of oversaturated colours, while I'm at it: That's all a matter of colour balancing. You are viewing material that has been edited to fit within a certain, rather limited, colour gamut, and look good on that; on a device whose screen has one that is slightly more expansive. (EDIT: Conversly; If you were to draw a picture on a device with an OLED screen, you might find it looking washed out on a LCD))
    I'm not certain, so your conclusion is that OLED is still more power efficient than LCD right? Or I understand you wrong?
    09-07-14 11:00 AM
    You know oled is only better as long as the colors on your screen are dark. When it comes to colors oled uses more power.
    OLED saves power. That is why even with a larger screen than the Z10, the battery life on the Z30 is so much better. I know what you are going to say about the size of the batteries. The Z30 battery is not double the size of the Z10 battery, and even with a bigger screen the Z30 lasts double the time on a charge as the Z10.
    Here is something else to consider. The Battery in the Passport is really big. BUT, the Display is also really big and is LED. Also, the Passport has more memory and a Quad core processor. Those two factors also contribute to high battery usage.
    Only time will tell, but all the facts are pointing to the Passport being a battery hog and it was NECESSARY to put a huge battery in it.
    So in conclusion, I am willing to bet that the battery life of the Passport is not going to be any better than the Z30.
    09-07-14 11:07 AM
    Point is I'm not a fan of assistance like auto-correct or auto-complete. I like to be in full control and my native language (German) is full of accented characters and capitalizations. So I managed to type at 5-6 letters per second without any assistants in German on my old Bold devices. Not quite your 6.4 letters per second but again, no assistants, many accents and capitalizations. Impossible on a VKB and a far less pleasing experience to me.

Posted via CB10
    True. Virtual keyboard is heavily dependent on the software assistance. I tried to type german earlier and my wpm significantly dropped to 47 words per minute. Lol. Aber deutsch ist meine Muttersprache nicht! Ich werde endes des Monats nach Deutschland fliegen, um meine deutsch zu verbessern. And it's also a consideration for me, as I don't think Passport is released in QWERTZ right?
    09-07-14 11:10 AM
83 1234