I updated my q10 to the leaked 10.3.1 the day before I received my passport. Keyboard shortcuts are back, and they are better than before. You can even prefill a message + assign recipients to any key press. I have used bb since they had click wheels on the side, so getting keyboard shortcuts back is big plus for me too.

Still, the keyboard shortcut enabled q10 is in a drawer, and I am getting more productivity and fun out of the passport!
    Man I miss the click wheels! I would buy a BB version of it now with a click wheel. Talk about a nice feature for a "Classic" device! Scroll through email,turn volume up and down, scroll through apps, it was very efficient!
    10-05-14 01:47 PM
    Back in the days when BB10 was just launched, we see several posts similar to this complaining about how stupid bb10 is compared to its legacy devices.

Seeing this kind of posts today is just... weird and funny. Welcome to the 21st century Capt.
    You know, I don’t understand posts like this one. The OP clearly explained what disappoints him about the Passport and/or BlackBerry 10. It’s obvious that he prefers the efficiency of older BlackBerry models over anything else and, ipso-facto, that BlackBerry 10 devices, including the Passport, are not satisfactory to him in that regard. Nobody seems to deny this. So why mock him for that? Whether you use an old BlackBerry device or a brand-new Passport, basics like calling, texting, scheduling and note-taking are covered regardless of age of the OS or phone. A Volkswagen Golf 2 may be old, but it’s just as a good car as a Golf 7 when it comes to driving.
    codiak, Plazmic Flame and andy957 like this.
    10-05-14 05:14 PM
    You will need cloud enabled email. I use Microsoft Office 365, I have my own domain on it so it is personalized to me. This gives me cloud services that sync my email, calendar, tasks and contacts. I drop my phone under a bus, buy a new one at the first store I see and be right back where I was. Tasks sync from BB10 Remember to Outlook, calendar, contacts email as well. All smartphones are like this now, synching to Outlook with a wire is the old way.
    I really want to know how you do this. I also use office365. I have my own domain as well. In the past years I had both the z10 and q10. Both phones made me loose hundreds of contacts !

Is it because Facebook interfering with my contacts? I don't know. Fact is that several bb10 users posted here in the forum about the so called "contacts bug". In my knowledge there is still no solution for the disappearing contacts.

So I understand a little bit the gripes from some of the posters here.

It's so so frustrating! I really would love to buy the passport but I fear to have the same trouble again.
    I would be so happy when I read here somewhere that this terrible problem is over.
    10-05-14 05:51 PM
    Since the BlackBerry Z10, I have my contacts mirrored over my 2 Gmail accounts and an office 365 account. I cannot comment on the contact issue.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-05-14 05:55 PM
    You know, I don�t understand posts like this one. The OP clearly explained what disappoints him about the Passport and/or BlackBerry 10. It�s obvious that he prefers the efficiency of older BlackBerry models over anything else and, ipso-facto, that BlackBerry 10 devices, including the Passport, are not satisfactory to him in that regard. Nobody seems to deny this. So why mock him for that? Whether you use an old BlackBerry device or a brand-new Passport, basics like calling, texting, scheduling and note-taking are covered regardless of age of the OS or phone. A Volkswagen Golf 2 may be old, but it�s just as a good car as a Golf 7 when it comes to driving.
    If this was the case it would be true but functions and procedures are distinctively different with a huge host of differences in os7 and 0s10.

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.738
    10-05-14 06:00 PM
    Why not keep it for a month?

It drives me nuts when I see legacy devices. Those BlackBerry's were awful.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't be so fast to say they were awful...in fact an awful lot of people, present company included, would say otherwise, ...they were the latest and greatest for their time!! Show a bit more respect please!!
    10-05-14 07:19 PM
    I was really hoping the Passport would sync with Outlook without any problems. I don't understand how BBRY can claim, with a straight face, to have a smartphone for business people when there are problems syncing contacts and the calendar from Outlook and the memos and task list do not sync at all without third-party software.

And no, I don't want to move all my data to the cloud just because that seems to be what BBRY wants me to do. BB10 is a nice operating system and I like the display and speed of my Q10, but it is a step backwards in terms of some useful functions I had in OS7.
    You are 100% correct in your statement Wandering_Sumo!!
    For the life of me, almost 2 years into BB OS10, and I still can't fully sync with my Outlook via EAS (OS 7 was perfect) which my company has been using for years and will continue to use for many more years!!!! Is this a case of BB wanting to reinvent the wheel?? ... because if it is, is this ever going to go to hell in a hen basket fast.
    10-05-14 07:27 PM
    I think business people rarely need to sync that stuff with Outlook, they sync with their mailserver which holds all those things?

Posted via CB10
    My Corp mail server is just that...and we use Outlook via EAS (Exchange Active Sync) and have been for years.
    10-05-14 07:32 PM
    About Blend: what happens if you forget your phone inside your car with the battery low? Then you can't access your contacts any more and so on. Therefore, I would like to have it on my computer.
    In my case, I still have access to all my Contacts, Emails and Calendar with my laptop, since my laptop's MS Outlook syncs via EAS with our mail server just as my BB device does...
    10-05-14 07:36 PM
    Sounds like the BlackBerry Classic is the best BB10 device for you, not the Passport.

Posted via CB10 on VZW BlackBerry Z30
    10-05-14 08:58 PM
    Send the Passport to me? =p
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    10-05-14 09:03 PM
    *looks at post, looks at comments....ponders leaving a comment, changes mind....walks off -->
    Plazmic Flame and Thunderbuck like this.
    10-06-14 01:19 AM
    How odd I CAN SYNC tasks and memos without a hitch!

Is that through BB-Blend or Outlook? The OP's gripe was not being able to do that through BB-Blend.

I really want to know how you do this. I also use office365. I have my own domain as well. In the past years I had both the z10 and q10. Both phones made me loose hundreds of contacts !

Is it because Facebook interfering with my contacts? I don't know. Fact is that several bb10 users posted here in the forum about the so called "contacts bug". In my knowledge there is still no solution for the disappearing contacts.

So I understand a little bit the gripes from some of the posters here.

It's so so frustrating! I really would love to buy the passport but I fear to have the same trouble again.
    I would be so happy when I read here somewhere that this terrible problem is over.
    I always recommend people DON'T mix social media with their contacts app on any mobile OS. It usually leads to a bunch of headaches. As far as I see it, no one has done it right yet. Just keep all your social (Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, etc) from integrating your contacts.
    Zedd88 likes this.
    10-06-14 07:50 AM
    If this was the case it would be true but functions and procedures are distinctively different with a huge host of differences in os7 and 0s10.
    A Golf 7 also has new, fancy technology but it isn’t better at driving than an old Golf 2. Sometimes, smartphone enthusiasts seem to forget that smartphones generally have evolved only very little since their inception. The OS and hardware becomes more advanced, there are, and there is room for, more bells and whistles than before, but essentially even the Passport is just a phone and has to pass off as one. With all the sophisticated technology, the Passport still doesn’t seem to have the efficiency the OP is looking for. BlackBerry seems to have done many things right before they launched OS 10 and only now do they seem to realise that some of these things have gone lost. Advancements in technology aren’t good arguments to dismiss criticisms like this one, it just shows how quickly we embrace modern technology without standing still of what it is that we expect from it.

I always recommend people DON'T mix social media with their contacts app on any mobile OS. It usually leads to a bunch of headaches. As far as I see it, no one has done it right yet. Just keep all your social (Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, etc) from integrating your contacts.
    The contacts app does a lousy job even without the social connections. 10.3 seems to have changed only very little, although I am very happy with the force-reload button in the menu (which allows me to disable the automatic fetching to save battery on the Z10). The contacts app works best with the cloud, I wouldn’t encourage anyone to store their contacts only locally.
    10-06-14 08:24 AM
    Random question. I'm thinking about getting a passport. Unfortunately, I'm in the US and was thinking of waiting for a contract... looks like death will come first

Anyway, can blackberry do OTA updates or are they hindered by carriers? If they are blocked by carriers, what makes you think you'll get 10.3.1 in a month?
    10-06-14 08:53 AM
    BlackBerry does OTA updates as well.

In the worst case you have this forum and xsacha, who created a very simple tool to upgrade without losing your data

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-06-14 09:08 AM
    Is that through BB-Blend or Outlook? The OP's gripe was not being able to do that through BB-Blend.

I do a direct syn with companionlink set to only sync tasks/notes.
    All the info goes into my remember folders beautifully.

I did a lot of research around this. To get tasks/notes to sync from out look to device,us have to use a 3rd party solution.

Companion link enables syncing on pc.
    Deja view/deja hub installed on passport to link the remember folders.

PS)WORKS like a charm!!

10-06-14 09:17 AM
    100% agree with the OP, sadly. The OS isn't a productive machine like BBOS use to be. There is so much missing like full Outlook support which is mind boggling. You shouldn't have to download programs/apps to make it sync, it should just work like before.

Especially if you are someone who doesn't use apps there is no point in really upgrading because BBOS is still the most productive OS which is why you see CEOs (Google CEO: Eric Schmitt) and Presidents still using it.

This is why I started making feature list threads because BlackBerry doesn't seem to want to update their own apps. It's great that 10.3.1 is bringing back some features from BBOS but that's all they should be concentrating on if they want their "Classic" to sell. There are many reasons why BBOS is still outselling BB10 phones (not sure about last quarter).

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...10-3-a-957985/
    shimmelstoss likes this.
    10-06-14 09:58 AM
    Not everyone who uses Outlook is an Exchange client. The OP is talking about the use case where you have POP3 mail that you download to your computer with Outlook, and then use the BB desktop client to sync everything between the phone and the PC. Link actually does do this, btw...

This is really a pretty standard thread, and there's always some variant of it whenever a new BB10 device is introduced. A user migrates from BBOS and discovers that one or two crucial features either haven't been implemented or have been replaced with something the user doesn't like, so they dismiss BB10 entirely
    perfectly stated...
    Last edited by khehl; 10-06-14 at 10:59 AM.
    10-06-14 10:03 AM
    Sounds like the BlackBerry Classic is the best BB10 device for you, not the Passport.

Posted via CB10 on VZW BlackBerry Z30
    he is talking about the software not the hardware...

BBOS was a slower OS, no doubt but it was so efficient that you can do a lot of things quicker then you can on BB10. The steps to doing things on BB10 like "Select More" then "Delete", is awful sometimes...
    10-06-14 10:04 AM
    You must work in Social Service because i do the exact same thing. I open my calendar, phone, and contacts before i even get out of bed during the work weeek. This makes for quick reading access and input.
    When i update the calendar i swipe up, tap the calendar on the home screen and tap whatever day im editing.
    10-06-14 10:25 AM
    I understand the your frustration, but you're comparing two vastly different OS. BB10 is still in its infancy, but has made amazing improvements since the days of 10.0.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 10:45 AM
    My Corp mail server is just that...and we use Outlook via EAS (Exchange Active Sync) and have been for years.
    Then what is the problem? Eas works perfectly on bb10 no? It did on my Z10, my Z30 and since today also on my passport?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 06:45 PM
    Then what is the problem? Eas works perfectly on bb10 no? It did on my Z10, my Z30 and since today also on my passport?

Posted via CB10
    I simply stated that our company still uses MS Outlook on all its computers and Outlook is used to manage client lists using Categories and other sorting features....Problem is that OS10 no longer syncs with these key customer management features, and it actually pulls them out from categories once you edit or view them on your device.
    So typically every day I find myself having to drag a few contacts back to their respective Category in order to keep my Outlook client list sorted and grouped properly.
    As of 10.2.1 BlackBerry added back Groups to Contacts, however they don't sync with Outlook at all. In fact not really sure what its main purpose is!!

Posted on CB10 via my Snappy Z10
    10-09-14 09:00 PM
    Ok, I think I understand the problem now. I can see this being a problem for you.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 06:37 PM
99 1234