It takes 10 minutes to setup Google Play and have access to virtually every app there is other than a few iphone specific apps. So why the app complaining? I realize that about 2% of apps have issues but not many at all.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 05:47 PM
    I realize that about 2% of apps have issues but not many at all.
    If you feel it's about 2% of apps, that's fine. However, to me it feels significantly higher. There's a difference between working and working well and as intended. Example: A lot of Android Wear apps work, doesn't mean they work as intended. You can't connect to anything.
    10-13-15 06:05 PM
    Well any app that uses the Google autocomplete api won't work properly...which is more than you'd think.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 06:18 PM
    Almost 2/3 (63%) of Android users are running KitKat and above. It won't be long before there won't be much left available on Google Play Store for JellyBean and below (like us).

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    10-13-15 06:32 PM
    If you have installed Play Store, do you still have missing apps?-img_20151013_203529.png
    Attachment 375723
    If you have installed Play Store, do you still have missing apps?-img_20151013_203518.png

These are the apps I have and need... I don't want anything else, but one. If I could have a wish come true it would be snapchat, but leave BlackBerry 10 for that? Hell no.

I don't have any Android app on the phone currently & hope to keep it that way.. I have no need for different apps, just don't see the point.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    10-13-15 07:36 PM
    If you feel it's about 2% of apps, that's fine. However, to me it feels significantly higher. There's a difference between working and working well and as intended. Example: A lot of Android Wear apps work, doesn't mean they work as intended. You can't connect to anything.
    I realize that everyone has a different set of apps downloaded, but for me, I have only one app that is not fully functional, that's the mlb at bat app. The app crashed playing live video, otherwise it works.

The only other issues are apps pausing when minimized.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 07:37 PM
    I have a ton on Android apps and some I really need. A couple of work apps are not essential but I am glad I can use them and I think over time they will be more important to have.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 07:41 PM
    Oh, one other issue I have, both work apps I use (I am a sub contractor) have picture upload features. In both I have to take the picture and then upload from the gallery. If I try to snap from the app it fails. Such a minor thing I forgot about it.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 07:46 PM
    Almost 2/3 (63%) of Android users are running KitKat and above. It won't be long before there won't be much left available on Google Play Store for JellyBean and below (like us).

Hopefully the announced updates will update the runtime.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 07:48 PM
    Hopefully the announced updates will update the runtime.

Posted via CB10
    Nope. That's one thing we pretty much know.

10-13-15 07:54 PM
    Again, this kind of perception cannot be applied to everyone since each one of us has different requirements. Perhaps, it is only 2% to us but not to others. Maybe, it is also 2% to others but those '2%' are very important on daily basis that they can sacrifice the remaining '98%' just to get that '2%' (the 20/80 rules). And unfortunately, even BB10 OS managed to import that '2%', they doesn't work like they intended to be (as they were on their native platform).

Anyway, there is one obvious factor that we cannot deny vital when dealing with apps and that is the so-called 'majority'. That is one of the factors that dictate the market shares. We love the BB10 OS in spite of the fact that it is lacking of apps, unfortunately majority of users don't see it that way. And these majorities are the one ruling the business... and that's the same reason why BlackBerry has to restructure their visions, planning and strategies to capture, if not totally all, at least almost half share of that 'majority'... BlackBerry needs to survive as profitable business, we have to understand that... otherwise, even the word 'BlackBerry' will perish...

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 08:07 PM
    Simply put, if you don't love the OS, you won't put up with the app shortcomings, no matter how big or small

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 08:10 PM
    Simply put, if you don't love the OS, you won't put up with the app shortcomings, no matter how big or small

Posted via CB10
    That's very true! I love BlackBerry 10, so I stick with it even though my Garmin Vivoactive doesn't have full functionality on it.

My daughter cannot live without Snapchat, so for her use a BlackBerry phone (she had a Z10) is more than annoying. She's happy with her Nexus now.

For some people (like my mother-in-law) a BlackBerry phone has no shortcomings. She uses her phones for calls, texts, emails and photographs. That's it! BlackBerry phones do all that well.

For others (like me) there are a few shortcomings, but I can live with them. Couple that with the pkb, BlackBerry 10 interface and the hub, and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

For others (like my daughter) the drawbacks are too many.

Luckily, there are other platforms for people whose needs are not met by BlackBerry phones.

While I'll miss the interface and maybe the hub, having a BlackBerry pkb on an android phone may be just the ticket for me. I'm not convinced yet, but maybe the 'Priv' will work for me.
    10-13-15 08:29 PM
    It takes 10 minutes to setup Google Play and have access to virtually every app there is other than a few iphone specific apps. So why the app complaining? I realize that about 2% of apps have issues but not many at all.

Posted via CB10
    Google Play Store on the Passport isn't officially supported. The majority of BlackBerry users don't 'hack' their devices and download other app stores. They definitely feel an app gap, and it's huge for them.

For me, a dedicated device 'hacker', my app gap isn't that large. However, I do find the Android Runtime to be quite slow and far less reliable than native apps (slow to load, frequently freezes, frequently crashes). But it certainly beats not having the Android apps at all.

Lately, more and more developers are incorporating Google Play Services into their apps. I cannot use Snapchat, Hilton, Google Drive at all, and United Airlines' app won't allow me to use the entertainment option in the app while in flight. There are several other apps that don't allow certain functionality, such as using location based services, since that portion of the app relies on Google Play Services.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while Google Play Store access has helped tremendously, it still isn't a seamless experience for us Passport users. I honestly believe we deserve a device that isn't half handicapped as it relates to using apps. People question the necessity of apps on a smartphone, but no one would question the necessity of applications on a PC. As much as you may love Windows as an OS, your PC wouldn't be very useful if you couldn't find apps to run on it.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport on CB10
    10-13-15 09:00 PM
    Casper snapchat client works okay with my PP if you really need it.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 09:46 PM
    Casper snapchat client works okay with my PP if you really need it.

Posted via CB10
    Lol, my account got blocked like 3 days into using it. Not a big deal, I've moved on from using it to be honest...

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    10-13-15 11:06 PM
    I'm not really up to speed with what needs to be done coding wise in BB10, but I have read somewhere that some phone manufacturers don't have GAPPS and the user then loads GAPPS onto their devices. Some are easier to load than others. I know the Fire phone can do it. So......why does BB not make it easy for people to load GAPPS. Subversively prepare BB10 devices. I mean what the user does with their device is nobody's business. Is this possible?

I personally don't need any android apps as what i need is in BBW and I feel some native apps are better than the android version. eg. iGrann is way better than android Instagram.
    10-14-15 01:09 AM
    Some of the important apps won't work. For example Google translate. I always have trouble typing the word correctly in Google translate. And Android apps are running slowly(lagging) most of the time. They also consume too much battery life so quickly...phone becomes too hot...passport battery percentage is decreasing quicker than iphone 4s...I am seriously considering selling it...it is too difficult to say 'I love you'...

Mia san mia!
    10-14-15 12:51 PM
    Some of the important apps won't work. For example Google translate. I always have trouble typing the word correctly in Google translate. And Android apps are running slowly(lagging) most of the time. They also consume too much battery life so quickly...phone becomes too hot...passport battery percentage is decreasing quicker than iphone 4s...I am seriously considering selling it...it is too difficult to say 'I love you'...

Mia san mia!
    I agree that apps are important. But can't some of them be simply be substituted by mobile Web? That is how I use Google Translate, for instance. For a long time I used Open Table that way, and it was fine. Trip Advisor works well too. These kinds of websites lend themselves readily to being made into shortcuts on BlackBerry 10. Just wondering out loud.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 03:02 PM
    I have like 6 Android apps or so installed from the Play Store. They all work fine (albeit Kindle is slow with opening of the app and slow with opening up books, but works great besides that so I don't mind). One app complains about missing Play Services but I can dismiss that dialog and works just like it should after dismissing it.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 01:04 AM
    I agree that apps are important. But can't some of them be simply be substituted by mobile Web? That is how I use Google Translate, for instance. For a long time I used Open Table that way, and it was fine. Trip Advisor works well too. These kinds of websites lend themselves readily to being made into shortcuts on BlackBerry 10. Just wondering out loud.

Posted via CB10
    For translations, you can use TAO Translator from BlackBerry World, it's a great, free, totally native and supports Google Translate, Bing Translate, Yandex Translate and Yandex Dictionary. Or if you don't mind paid apps, then AllTranslate is a good app as well from BlackBerry World or Beta Zone though I'd still highly recommend TAO Translator.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 01:06 AM
    Websites are slower...at least from where I live...but I'll take your advise and try websites...it feels like so old school though......

Mia san mia!
    10-15-15 12:47 PM
    Nothing like being the only BlackBerry person around your friends and having the android Yelp crash or momentarily stutter (wait or close app) while everyone else's works as it should. This is not a problem when I am using the phone on wifi but it is not reliable when it counts in the real world. Yelp is just an example. There are other apps that have similar loading issues. It's either a wait/crash situation or apps that require Google play to run properly. And yes, I know I can bypass that screen and use the app as is, but you're only using a skeleton of an app w/o play services.
    10-18-15 05:36 PM
    Every Google app that I use/need works fine. But each one also has a mobile Web version that works fine too. So for me, having an android runtime and Google Play installed is nice, but not a deal breaker at all. I'd be fine without it.

BlackBerryaholic by choice.
    10-18-15 06:32 PM
    Hi, I was wondering are you having problems with the facebook app? I installed Snap on my phone but the latest facebook app opens with the facebook logo for about 2 seconds and then automatically closes out. The facebook app from Blackberry World is no better as it seems to not have been updated since Blackberry first launched. Thanks in advance.
    10-18-15 07:35 PM
34 12