01-29-15 11:02 PM
72 123
tools
    Umm... I'm pretty sure you did not have FaceTime installed on your Z10.

It's for iOS devices only
    https://facetimeforandroid.wordpress.com/
    01-25-15 11:02 AM
    If your partner is pressuring you to switch devices even though you are familiar with iPhones and have selected BlackBerry... And they won't let up in the face of stern and serious "thanks, but no thanks" statements, I can't give you better advice than that him being a control freak and you not wanting to be controlled is probably not meant to be, whether the issue is phones or what to do with that spare room.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-25-15 11:07 AM
    ...Has your commitment to an OS platform ever been used as a proxy for your commitment to an intimate relationship, and should one stand his ground as a matter of principal?
    Great, great question.

Well, I'm not sure I've ever been completely committed to an OS platform, though I know what I like. Until Apple got rid of Scott Forstall, I enjoyed their products. I've also used Android. But my favourite is my Z30, and that's mainly down to its qualities, plus how it handles & functions. And so there is a certain commitment there, though I wouldn't necesarily call it exclusive.

Really it comes down to a couple of very human things: Belonging, plus the need to be perceived a certain way. I have a couple of friends who won't be seen having a coffee from anywhere except Starbucks.. But when I press them on the matter (or when preference occasionally switches to pure, naked, caffeine need) it becomes obvious that, for the most part, it really has nothing to do with actual coffee.

I would apply that same understanding to your phone situation. Your partner wants you to switch, but it doesn't really have anything to do with a phone does it? If you like your phone mainly because of how it works for you, and not mainly because of some emotional or tribal affiliation, by all means, stand your ground.. That's not just principle, it's practical.

Good luck~!
    01-25-15 11:18 AM
    If you are a BlackBerry, Democrat, Catholic person and your partner is an iPhone, Republican, Protestant person then you are in the stone ages, is call tribalism, you are from one tribe and your partner from an other tribe. Your only option is war. Sorry!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on AT&T
    Bonnie Bonzai and nglfmark like this.
    01-25-15 11:28 AM
    I am told that I am stubborn and stuck in my ways because I am one of the dead-enders still using a BlackBerry.
    If it is your partner telling you this, then, well, I don't know the whole situation obviously, but there is one thing to compromise in a relationship and another to be cajoled or coerced into compliance.

Those still asserting "BlackBerry is dead" are ignorant... and the wilfully ignorant are contemptible... I'd be out of there if that was the case.

Being charitable, your partner gets joy from his iPhone and may conclude that if you don't get the same joy you are not compatible. Being uncharitable, if you partner's iPhone "hobby" is all-consuming and if you don't share that hobby you and he may not have enough in common, then maybe just ask your partner "Will it bother you if I never ever switch to iPhone?" and if you get a sincere answer either "yes" or "no" then, well... Take it from there.
    01-25-15 11:28 AM
    While my wife has an iphone which she now wants to replace with something else my sister in law has my old z10 on loan and she has expressed to me on several occasions how well it performs. Her old attachment was android but she was never much of a tinkerer and in her words she wanted something affordable and easy to use. It seems BlackBerry has fit that bill.
    Personally though I feel that any relationships based on a common interest or like while important isn't a deal breaker. Your SO is not wrong for recommending something else just as your not wrong for doing the same. A good example is my own family, from time to time my wife likes it when she my daughter and I wear similarly styled clothes for family functions or even matching white sneakers. Sometimes I think the need to have loved ones use what we like to use can be something that stems from that aspect of our personalities.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 12:35 PM
    Could be a sign of things to come after the W-day if you get to and past that point. In my case, I offered to buy her the highest spec-ed iPhone 6 despite the fact that I personally have zero interest in iOS handsets just because she loves using iPhone and I never attempted to convince her on BlackBerry 10 virtue.
    01-25-15 05:06 PM
    I haven't been in a relationship like that, but I've seen it once. I'm actually an Apple fanboy (girl lol), but I prefer to use BB phones. One of my male friends was an extreme fanboy at the time. He had Apple-everything on his desk organized like a mini-shrine.

He was dating some girl who used to date one of his friends. I think she was pretty loyal to the LG brand at the time. Anyway, they got into an argument over Apple speakers (or maybe a keyboard) and he compared himself to Apple and her ex to the LG brand. He was basically suggesting that her holding onto her LG phones was like her still pining over her ex. It was a mess LOL

They broke up that summer and he was ostracized from the group. I don't remember if she got back together with her ex, though.
    01-25-15 05:20 PM
    I haven't been in a relationship like that, but I've seen it once. I'm actually an Apple fanboy (girl lol), but I prefer to use BB phones. One of my male friends was an extreme fanboy at the time. He had Apple-everything on his desk organized like a mini-shrine.

He was dating some girl who used to date one of his friends. I think she was pretty loyal to the LG brand at the time. Anyway, they got into an argument over Apple speakers (or maybe a keyboard) and he compared himself to Apple and her ex to the LG brand. He was basically suggesting that her holding onto her LG phones was like her still pining over her ex. It was a mess LOL

They broke up that summer and he was ostracized from the group. I don't remember if she got back together with her ex, though.
    I had a coworker like that. You'd swear he masturbated nightly in front of a shrine to Steve Jobs the way he carried on
    ponpiri likes this.
    01-25-15 06:00 PM
    I can't believe I'm even reading this. Just tell her you'll use your BlackBerry and she'll use her iPhone. There, problem solved.
    Maybe you both switch to Android... ;')

j/k

(for a change, after that you'd both appreciate your phones and each other again, much more... )

  Happy Australia Day 2015 - come and visit, mate...!  
    01-25-15 06:10 PM
    Think you need some "my time". Chill and use the phone that YOU want to use.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 06:23 PM
    I just have to say that this thread has been more fun than I could have ever imagined. I shared it with my partner and he had to laugh. "I just wanted to be able to Facetime and iMessage, but it you love your Crackberry that much, please don't ever change.

So you guys have been very cool and I could not have imagined this thread would have exploded like this. Our OS preferences sometimes become as closely held as our religion or politics, which was my point. Very fun thread. Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 06:57 PM
    Stand your ground, OP!

I do agree with you that phone choice may be a proxy for bigger things in some ways, and can induce the same fervor and intense discussions as politics or religion.

The posts here have been fun to read and I thought of my own little episode. I'm a BlackBerry girl who dated a BlackBerry guy. Around the time he switched to iPhone, was the time our relationship went downhill and things ended. Maybe it was coincidence. Or maybe not. Hahaha!

After nearly a year of not seeing nor communicating with each other, he asked me to meet him and I agreed. When we saw each other again, he said, "You're STILL on BlackBerry?!" and I fired back, "At least MY phone doesn't die by lunchtime!!!"

Anyway, we still poke fun good-naturedly at each other's phone occasionally and we're slowly warming up to each other again.

(If ever we end up together for keeps, I must beat him to the draw and buy BlackBerrys for our kids. )

Posted via CB10
    nglfmark likes this.
    01-25-15 08:00 PM
    Scoot, tell you partner to get a passport. Wait for their response. Then, the next time you switching phones comes up, use their response as to why your not changing.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 10:03 PM
    The foundation of your relationship shouldn't be built on a phone preference. You should be confident and really show that you love your Passport then your partner can't deny you of your right to using something you love.
    yep forcing my gf to dump her windows phone for a passport that i'll buy her.

good thing she doesn't care about phones so there was no hesitation. RELATIONSHIP SAVED!
    01-25-15 10:12 PM
    Get a new partner.
    01-25-15 11:40 PM
    It's fake

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-25-15 11:56 PM
    Hmmm.... if your partner got BBM, problem solved

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 01:00 AM
    Thank you! I don't know how many times I had this argument with people, especially the MP3 generation. So many would scoff at my MRX 700 receiver for instance, no bells and whistles, just a pure sound machine.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, agreed, and if that's important, then I don't see an i device on this list of smartphones able to do flac out of the box.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._supports_FLAC
    I am also an audiophile, and for me, this is a very welcomed addition to what BB already offers me.
    mister2d likes this.
    01-27-15 05:36 AM
    Friend scootnyinzer; never mind religion, politics, os's, or sexual orientations; between your profile pic and mine, we have real "fighting words".
    lol.
    01-27-15 05:46 AM
    I just have to say that this thread has been more fun than I could have ever imagined. I shared it with my partner and he had to laugh. "I just wanted to be able to Facetime and iMessage, but it you love your Crackberry that much, please don't ever change.
    Glad to hear you guys had a good laugh over it.

I have to admit losing Facetime was a definite Con when moving away from iPhones. But we still have a Macbook that keeps us connected to family who prefer Facetime. Skype's gone downhill since Microsoft aquired it. There are some things Apple got right, but it personally wasn't enough to stay with that platform. And iMessage vs MMS? He wants your texts to look blue vs green and ping over all his iDevices? Had to laugh at that. iMessage doesn't require a phone number, just an Apple id. Let him loan you one of his almost obsolete 1.5 year slates, plug in your free Apple id and iMessage/Facetime away. Then breath freely when you go back to your Passport for everything else.

Still hoping BlackBerry fixes cross-platform BBM and gets BBM video for iOS and Android. That would render these legit discussions mute. We BBM video'd for the first time the other day between my Q10 and my wife's Z30. Thought it a great experience, along with the Natural Sound BBM Voice. Can honestly say we don't miss Facetime within our household. I had to buy her a Z30 to get there, but it was well worth it.

 Posted via CB Chen 
    01-29-15 10:22 PM
    However, my partner of over 2 years, who is the consumate Apple Fanboi is pressuring me to switch to Apple iPhone 6. I don't really want to switch, but I have a feeling that this is REALLY about something more than switching OS platforms. My question is, has your commitment to an OS platform ever been used as a proxy for your commitment to an intimate relationship, and should one stand his ground as a matter of principal?

Posted via CB10
    1) I've never had any such commitment to an OS platform. I'll use whichever platform appeals to me at the time, and have no issue leaving it behind if I desire.

2) It's a phone. So no, my choice in mobile phone and operating system has never had an impact on any relationship. Personal or professional.

My girlfriend switched from a BlackBerry Curve to iPhone 5 in 2012. I didn't have to pressure her. I had been using an iPhone 4 since 2010 by that point, and I think curiosity got the best of her. She used it for two years, and last year upgraded to an iPhone 6. She's been nothing but satisfied with her iPhone and iOS experience. So much so, she picked up an iPad Air in 2013 as well. I myself, switched from iPhone 4 to Nexus 4 in 2013. I also picked up a 2nd-gen Nexus 7 to go with it. I switched back to iPhone 5S by the end of that same year.

Use what you like. Let your partner use what they like. If your choice in phone is a point of conflict in the relationship, you're probbaly right. It probably really is about something more than switching OS platforms. If it is actually just about switching OS, that is a strange issue to have in a relationship.
    01-29-15 11:02 PM
72 123